Wednesday afternoon I broke a tooth. So this morning I had a dentist appointment. I have never liked going to the dentist to begin with, and to make matters worse, I don't have any dental insurance.

So I'm home now but my mouth is still numb as heck. Does anyone have ideas what I could have for lunch?
    03-21-08 10:53 AM
    I can't stand going to the dentist, honestly I used to have to take anti-anxiety before going. I am much better now, but still hate it. Anyways, my suggestion would be to eat while your mouth is still numb! If you wait till it wears off then you are going to be feeling the pain. If you have to wait I would suggest soup or milkshakes. Anything soft like mashed potatoes or pudding is good too.
    03-21-08 11:02 AM
    I don't mind going to dentist. I go every 6 mths.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-21-08 11:25 AM
    i dont mind the dentist either but i do hate when they scrape your teeth...the noise and feeling ircks me
    03-21-08 11:28 AM
    Everytime I have to go to the dentist, I think about Steve Martin as the crazy dentist and everything seems great after that.

03-21-08 11:42 AM
    You two ladies wanna go for me then? Honestly, this whole thing has made me feel really depressed.
    03-21-08 11:49 AM
    I hate the dentist too. I just had a tooth extracted and I'm in pain. Eating soft foods like oatmeal, baby food, etc. I've had more than my fair share of dental work and tired of it. Next time I'll just have them put me out of my misery!

03-21-08 01:30 PM
    First of all - I have a phobia of hospitals. A serious phobia. It kinda gets tickled by doctors surgeries, dentists and anything hospital-like. So I hate going there. +my new dentist treated me like a non-medical-knowledge-person last time I went... That's right, lady - I DO know what anesthetic is...
    03-21-08 03:42 PM
    I'm sorry to hear about your tooth, Sun. I personally love going to the dentist, I go every 6 months too but I've never had a cavity so I've never had anything major happen. Good luck!
    03-21-08 06:17 PM
    Simons - got a crush on your dentist?

03-21-08 06:47 PM
    i haven't been in over 10 years... i need a root canal.

it blows.
    03-22-08 01:17 AM
    Cate If its been over 10 years you might need more than a root canal. And yes cate, that does blow!

03-22-08 01:34 AM
    Wow I feel for you guys tht had/have to go thru root canals. Prices mustbe off the wall to.
    Glad its only clean and polish for me every 6mths and doing tht takes less than 10mins. Waiting to go in takes the most time.

03-22-08 05:53 AM
    I soo need to go to the dentist! But I HATE going because even tho I have insurance, I ALWAYS come out with over $1000 bill!

03-22-08 06:06 AM
    I fell sad for you SUNKAST, but I did not go to the dentist for 2 years, and I never had problem with my teeth, no cavities, nothing. Maybe this year I will go in October. The only thing I got is when I was 9 or 10 years old I had some braces, that's all.
    03-22-08 07:03 AM
    I forgot to ask, how did the tooth break?

03-22-08 07:19 AM
    I guess there was a cavity that weakened the tooth. It happened while I was eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich no less... I really hope I don't need a root canal.
    03-22-08 11:09 AM
    That really sucks... Sorry to hear that. I'd rather see a proctologist than a dentist!

03-22-08 11:21 AM
    Wow people! The reason broken teeth happen is because you wait too long to remedy the original problem! If you went to the dentist regularly and got cavities filled instead of procrastinating till the thing rots in your mouth you'd be just fine. Oh and another thing the majority of times people think their teeth break on a bite of mashed potatos its because it was already broken from the other day when you were munching on those almonds or chewing on straws! Here's a thought....try some good old fashioned toothpaste floss and listerine! Go to the dentist regularly.

M

03-22-08 12:06 PM
    I hate going to my current dentist (although I do go) because he pontificates the whole time he is working on me about subjects I don't want to hear about! It is so irritating & not like I can say anything!

Last week I got to hear all about how slow drivers should be dragged out of their cars & get the crap beat out of them. Niiiiiiiiiice.

We are looking for a new dentist.
    03-22-08 12:41 PM
    Well, it's a bit disheartening to hear that so many people hate their dentist =(

I'm currently a 3rd yr dental student (about a year left), and although the majority of my patients tell me that they love coming in (I'm a bit skeptical about that...), I gotta admit, I used to hate going to the dentist too.

Key thing - If you brush and floss regularly (and I mean 2x daily regularly, not 3x weekly regularly...), then you will really minimize the amount of dental & gum disease that you will have. Oh, and most people have the misconceived notion that if they are not in pain, they don't need to go to the dentist. If you have regular dental check ups and cleanings, you won't get to the tooth-ache stage

For those of you in So Cal / Inland Empire area, if you need a new dentist, lemme know =) and Cate, if you really do need a root canal, hit me up...
    Last edited by cheungsta; 03-22-08 at 02:48 PM.
    03-22-08 02:44 PM
    Wow people! The reason broken teeth happen is because you wait too long to remedy the original problem! If you went to the dentist regularly and got cavities filled instead of procrastinating till the thing rots in your mouth you'd be just fine. Oh and another thing the majority of times people think their teeth break on a bite of mashed potatos its because it was already broken from the other day when you were munching on those almonds or chewing on straws! Here's a thought....try some good old fashioned toothpaste floss and listerine! Go to the dentist regularly.

M

And what about people that don't have any sort of insurance and simply can't afford it?
    03-22-08 03:56 PM
    Garz, my teeth are just fine except for that damn tooth lol. I get comments on lovely they are... and then I go home and want to take a hammer to my molar.

For those of you in So Cal / Inland Empire area, if you need a new dentist, lemme know =) and Cate, if you really do need a root canal, hit me up...
    I do, but if you're going to charge me mega $$, back off lol
    03-22-08 03:58 PM
    And what about people that don't have any sort of insurance and simply can't afford it?
    There are always options. Most dental offices don't charge too much for routine cleanings and exams. And there are dental insurance options for as cheap as $20/month which will cover the majority (if not all) of exams, cleanings, simple fillings, etc.

I do, but if you're going to charge me mega $$, back off lol
    Lol...it's much cheaper to get it done at the school's clinic. And I don't get a dime of it...I have to pay (a very hefty tuition) to treat my patients.
    Last edited by cheungsta; 03-22-08 at 04:37 PM.
    03-22-08 04:35 PM
    Lol...it's much cheaper to get it done at the school's clinic. And I don't get a dime of it...I have to pay (a very hefty tuition) to treat my patients.
    still scared. i'll just keep poppin' advil... and not eating lol
    03-22-08 04:36 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD