Question about AC and barometric pressure.

i know that having the AC on cool lowers humidity of course. but does it lower barometric pressure in the air, im that space? is that even possible?

any insight would be helpful! thanks!

i googled this for a half hour but i cannot find the information and i don't trust the internets for answers to questions like this, ha.

thanks!
    10-22-08 03:50 PM
    I've never heard that AC can alter your barometric pressure. I do weather spotting for a local TV station and have a healthy weather station at home. The barometer is inside and doesn't go up or down with the AC or heat changes that happen inside every day, only with the actual atmospheric pressure changes outside.

I'm not a meteorologist but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once
    10-22-08 04:23 PM
    I've never heard that AC can alter your barometric pressure. I do weather spotting for a local TV station and have a healthy weather station at home. The barometer is inside and doesn't go up or down with the AC or heat changes that happen inside every day, only with the actual atmospheric pressure changes outside.

I'm not a meteorologist but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once
    LOL @ Holiday Inn Express! Good for you!

Ok, thanks! it didn't seem to make sense that the pressure could be lowered inside...i didn't know though.

i get barometric (weather) headaches. so when a cold front comes in i get a bad headache for a few days til in rolls in.

it seems to help being in REALLY cold AC so i thought the presssure was being lowered maybe. maybe it's something else though, the cold affecting the caps in my head or something.

thanks for your answer!

can i buy a barometric pressure gauge, do you know?
    10-22-08 04:34 PM
    from a weather standpoint humidity and temperature DOES affect barometric pressure...if all your windows were closed then the AC would change the barometric pressure but not by a substantial amount...just curious, but why are you asking?
    10-22-08 08:02 PM
    okay, i just re-read your last post...the pressure change from a cold front doesnt occur until right after it passes, so it's probably something else that's causing your headaches...
    10-22-08 08:04 PM
    Hmmm, yeah, possible that i'm looking at the wrong thing with pressure.

it happens every time the weather drops here. Never when it gets warm, rains, humid. i've been keeping a headache journal for 9 years (since i moved from colorado where i never got headaches) so i know it's not food, allergies, stress, molds, heat, low blood sugar or sinus issues. i haven't been to the doctors for it bc i don't go and i'm trying to figure it out. It's definitely the cold fronts. i don't watch the weather (for the most part) and i'll be suffering a bad headache for 2 days and someone will tell me a cold front is moving in or i'll check weatherbug and see.

So i know when the headaches will happen, just not why. Something happens just before a cold front, that affects me. That i'm sure of.

Cold AC or ice help. This is horrible bc i HATE coldness! Ha

What happens just before a cold front comes in? Specifically if possible.

Anyone have similar headaches?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by chrisy520; 10-22-08 at 08:47 PM.
    10-22-08 08:38 PM
    You can get a relatively accurate barometer just about anywhere you can find your basic indoor/outdoor thermometers.

Your typical common barometer (non-mercury type) is not affected by temperature changes. One could effectively pressurize a room to alter your personal area pressure and some have done so in trying to treat migraines. The effectiveness is still out for debate.
    10-23-08 06:26 AM
    As a cold front moves in or a large storm approaches, the pressure typically falls.

It could be that you experience some relief with the AC on due to a drop in humidity.
    10-23-08 06:31 AM
    yeah it sounds like it's more of a humidity thing for you...pressure will fall right before and immediately after a cold front passes...cold fronts also typically (after they pass) bring in vast amounts of dry air, so it might be the build up of humidity prior to the front passing...when your AC is on it also acts as a dehumidifier...in your journal do you keep track of the humidity? you should be able to find some kind of barometric pressure/temp/humidity gage all in one somewhere im sure...
    10-23-08 06:39 AM
    Thanks, trucky and JRussett!

Great information and gives me more to think about and check out as i try to solve this issue!

i appreciate all the help and insights!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-23-08 10:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD