uhh so im thinking about getting an alienware m11x,
    the HDD on the site sucks and is super expensive so im thinking about buying my own 1tb HDD
    i saw that for the m15x it says that it is able to use 500 GB
    would it be different if i got a 1 tb HDD and tried to use it?

if i installed it would it work?
    01-19-10 06:57 PM
    Don't get alienware it's overpriced

You can get an HP and customize it

What do you need it to play?
    01-19-10 07:50 PM
    Every game known to man.
    Haha.
    And it looks sexy

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-19-10 08:42 PM
    You should have no problem using the terabyte drive in there. I am sure Dell/Alienware just offer up to a 500 gb drive, doesn't mean it won't handle a bigger drive.
    01-19-10 09:03 PM
    So. I decided I want a Mac.
    When a new MacBook pro comes out, I want to buy. The current is too thin to be good. Super laggy when you move it. I'm waiting for the i7 macbooks.

I need mac for my itunes.

01-19-10 10:18 PM
    Ok, so here's some basic stuff without getting into too much detail because I am very busy.

First, do not purchase Alienware only because of specs and looks. Both you can get with a MUCH lower price, if not even stronger than the Alienware. There are also a variety of cases out there that look good and "perform" well in terms of airflow and space. I recommend ordering parts online and assembling the computer yourself.

Second, you don't need a mac to run iTunes... You can do that with Windows. Lmao.
    I'd be glad to help you build a gaming rig to fit your budget, if any, and your expectancy. But not right now.
    01-19-10 11:09 PM
    Ok, so here's some basic stuff without getting into too much detail because I am very busy.

First, do not purchase Alienware only because of specs and looks. Both you can get with a MUCH lower price, if not even stronger than the Alienware. There are also a variety of cases out there that look good and "perform" well in terms of airflow and space. I recommend ordering parts online and assembling the computer yourself.

Second, you don't need a mac to run iTunes... You can do that with Windows. Lmao.
    I'd be glad to help you build a gaming rig to fit your budget, if any, and your expectancy. But not right now.
    Haha. I know THAT.
    Alienware cases though. Look amazing. And plus I'm talking Laptop parts. Not comp.
    And itunes is just about a million times easier on a mac because I used one before(it actually let's you modify the files right from itunes.). Not only that but it can run windows. I said alienware because they have a new one coming out called m11x. Small and NVIDIA switch and hopefully an i7 duo core processor. I'm planning on a mac now because I've used one for 4 months. And its amazing. And sexy.

Anyways. When Mac supports i7 processor, I'll rejoice and realize I still don't have enough money.

I'm 15 btw. I love computers.
    I've already built one xD. It isn't hard.

01-20-10 06:31 AM
    Every game known to man.
    Haha.
    And it looks sexy

You want to play games and your Bying a Mac??? thats like wanting to fly a plane and so you buy a boat.

as for putting a 1TB hard drive in the Alienware m11x since it is a notebook you'll have to find a notebook HDD, since Notebooks tend to have a smaller form factor then desktops, but the Size of the HDD will not be an issue for a 32bit or 64bit machine.

If you've got money to spare, then the Alienware or heck even the Mac are good machines, both are over priced for the hardware provided.

you can probably find a great "gaming" notebook at newegg.com, or do a custom build at HP, for a better price and get what you want to do

If you've never worked on a notebook before I wouldn't open your first one up being a +1000 notebook, my first notebook repair resulted me in snapping off the little hooks that held the keyboard in. and that was just to add more RAM,
    01-20-10 07:47 AM
    Alienware's are good, BUT you are paying for the name and the sexy look, a better option if you are going the high end route is Falcon NorthWest. Again thou, you are paying a premium for the name and reputation.
    01-20-10 08:53 AM
    You want to play games and your Bying a Mac??? thats like wanting to fly a plane and so you buy a boat.

as for putting a 1TB hard drive in the Alienware m11x since it is a notebook you'll have to find a notebook HDD, since Notebooks tend to have a smaller form factor then desktops, but the Size of the HDD will not be an issue for a 32bit or 64bit machine.

If you've got money to spare, then the Alienware or heck even the Mac are good machines, both are over priced for the hardware provided.

you can probably find a great "gaming" notebook at newegg.com, or do a custom build at HP, for a better price and get what you want to do

If you've never worked on a notebook before I wouldn't open your first one up being a +1000 notebook, my first notebook repair resulted me in snapping off the little hooks that held the keyboard in. and that was just to add more RAM,

I'm talking about getting a Macbook, then upgrading its HDD
    i Will be adding a partition with either windows XP or 7 on it
    is that possible on a MacBook Pro?
    i opened up my old laptop and my friends Macbook, i couldnt figure out where to buy Notebook HDD's to upgrade it.

Are the Desktop ones Terribly more expensive than the Laptop ones?

Also will a blank 1 tb HDD work on a Mac?
    Macs are a little weird...

but thier itunes is AMAZING
    01-20-10 12:27 PM
    Dammit!!! Judging by the Thread title, I thought "Computer People" were a race of humanoid creatures with LCD monitors for heads.

I got all excited for nothing.
    01-20-10 01:13 PM
    I was gonna say something along those lines Jason but you ruined it for me. Thanks alot.
    01-20-10 01:59 PM
    Haha. Sorryy.
    My badd. xD

01-20-10 02:47 PM
    first off heres how to replace a mac book HDD
    Upgrade Your MacBook Pro's Hard Drive - How To by ExtremeTech

Second of all I agree with the majority of people in the thread that say that buying alienware/falcon you are paying for the name, that is definitely true. For a top of the line computer it is FAR cheaper to buy your own parts and piece it together, like you said it isn't that hard so whats the harm? Plus then you get to pick out EXACTLY what you want in the computer.

Last it doesn't really make sense to buy a Mac and install windows on it to play games, Macs are very expensive (last time I looked their cheapest laptop was $1k) and if your just going to be running windows on it why not just save yourself the headache (and money) and get a PC? Macs and PCs are all Intel chipsets now anyway, same machine different software.

And to address your last question the 1TB drive will be fine. I think most operating systems support up to like 3TB or something like that. Someone more knowledgeable than myself can comment there I know for sure you are ok with at least 1.5TB as I'm using that much on my home computer.
    01-20-10 02:54 PM
    Yeah, all new Macbooks come with Boot Camp which will allow you to repartition your drive and install Windows XP or Vista, and I would assume 7 will install also. Putting a 1tb 2.5 inch laptop hard drive is possible, you just might have a hard time finding one as they are not real common yet. They are supposedly shipping them but I can't find one, here is a 640 gb and 750 gb drive that are the type that will work with the Macbook Pro.
    01-20-10 03:06 PM
    I'm talking about getting a Macbook, then upgrading its HDD
    i Will be adding a partition with either windows XP or 7 on it
    is that possible on a MacBook Pro?
    i opened up my old laptop and my friends Macbook, i couldnt figure out where to buy Notebook HDD's to upgrade it.

Are the Desktop ones Terribly more expensive than the Laptop ones?

Also will a blank 1 tb HDD work on a Mac?
    Macs are a little weird...

but thier itunes is AMAZING
    newegg.com you can buy Laptop HDD's a desktop HDD is cheaper then a notebook one, and Laptop ones cost much more, they are smaller, and most often run slower to keep heat down

upgrading a notebook is more complicated then a desktop, heat is an issue, you have to make sure the HDD you put in will not pump out more heat then the one you take out, or you risk creating problems down the road.

You really don't sound like you've played with the inside of a notebook much, I suggest investing in a laser thermometer if you plan to work with notebooks a lot, it makes finding hot spots faster, and when building from a barebone build you have to figure out mounting locations and airflow. so using a laser can stop the problems before they wreck your ram.

As for running Windows on a Mac, ya that is no issue, but really are you going to go out and spend 200 bucks to get Windows put on the Mac, then make sure that the Drivers for your Mac have Windows equivalents to make sure you can run the games on the Mac Hardware, I'm not sure what Mac uses for Graphics, nor am I sure how they handle direct X games, I know using XP inside of Windows 7 I can't get direct X games to run properly with my notebooks graphics, since there is no XP driver.

And I can't believe you are buying a Computer based on iTunes, the WORST software on the planet!, wow.

You should seriously do some research as to what goes into notebook building, what goes into Mac upgrades, as most Mac sheep, err People don't play with their hardware.
    01-20-10 05:14 PM
    Thanks.
    I need to find a 1 tb soon.
    I'll be useing those if I can't get 1 tb

01-20-10 05:56 PM
    newegg.com you can buy Laptop HDD's a desktop HDD is cheaper then a notebook one, and Laptop ones cost much more, they are smaller, and most often run slower to keep heat down

upgrading a notebook is more complicated then a desktop, heat is an issue, you have to make sure the HDD you put in will not pump out more heat then the one you take out, or you risk creating problems down the road.

You really don't sound like you've played with the inside of a notebook much, I suggest investing in a laser thermometer if you plan to work with notebooks a lot, it makes finding hot spots faster, and when building from a barebone build you have to figure out mounting locations and airflow. so using a laser can stop the problems before they wreck your ram.

As for running Windows on a Mac, ya that is no issue, but really are you going to go out and spend 200 bucks to get Windows put on the Mac, then make sure that the Drivers for your Mac have Windows equivalents to make sure you can run the games on the Mac Hardware, I'm not sure what Mac uses for Graphics, nor am I sure how they handle direct X games, I know using XP inside of Windows 7 I can't get direct X games to run properly with my notebooks graphics, since there is no XP driver.

And I can't believe you are buying a Computer based on iTunes, the WORST software on the planet!, wow.

You should seriously do some research as to what goes into notebook building, what goes into Mac upgrades, as most Mac sheep, err People don't play with their hardware.
    Deathcommand, I also advise against taking advice from people who have absolutely no idea what they are talking about.
    01-20-10 07:17 PM
    Deathcommand, I also advise against taking advice from people who have absolutely no idea what they are talking about.
    I assume you've scratch built notebooks,

if you've never had one fail due to heat issues, I am impressed, I went into my first build building like I would with a desktop, never taking heat into account.

Please enlighten me as to what I have no clue about
    01-20-10 08:58 PM
    I have a sata II 7200RPM Laptop drive in my system. That is the same as most desktops.

He is just going to get a pre-built

he's going to get a pre-built

The MAC book pro in some Nvidia card. Also Boot camp makes your windows drivers for you. Direct X is Microsoft only. Mac uses...something OpenGL I think. Also Virualization=/=dual boot. Macs dual boot.

iTunes is not the worst. Have you played Superman 64? I nearly died.

this was true until you called them people.
    01-21-10 12:13 AM
    Here I built this just for you
    01-21-10 12:25 AM
    I have a sata II 7200RPM Laptop drive in my system. That is the same as most desktops.

You are among the few, the majority are still 5400 RPM, but you are correct that they are getting closer, that doesn't change the fact that a Notebook drive is near 3 times the cost of a comparable Desktop drive, unless getting a slower version, at the same capacity, then the cost difference is not as great

He is just going to get a pre-built

BUT he is planning to add an HDD to it

he's going to get a pre-built

The MAC book pro in some Nvidia card. Also Boot camp makes your windows drivers for you. Direct X is Microsoft only. Mac uses...something OpenGL I think. Also Virualization=/=dual boot. Macs dual boot.

True Virtualization =/= Dual boot, but I was unsure if Macs had a proprietary Graphics that did not support Windows Drivers, you've corrected me on this I believe, and with a Dual Boot windows the drivers will exist for all the Mac Hardware and you will be able to play both OpenGL and DirectX games

iTunes is not the worst. Have you played Superman 64? I nearly died.
    Touche, iTunes is the Second worst, or atleast the worst media management software, even WinCRAMP was better

this was true until you called them people.

Cheers!

10 char . . . .
    01-21-10 12:34 AM
    Here I built this just for you
    RAID SSD HDD HOT!! dang!
    01-21-10 12:37 AM
    UH. Let's not fight :/
    Just a quick question, could I use a western digital external hard drive as a hard drive?
    I took one apart and it is a hard drive, connected to a Micro USB hub.
    It is a HDD just wondering it its like.., incompatible with the mac.

01-21-10 05:54 AM
    And woah. Why you guys be hating on iTunes?
    On windows iTunes is compairable to crap, but on macs its totally different. Pretty much making itunes a versitle windows explorer.
    With search and grouping.
    It also let's to drag and drop to copy songs :3

01-21-10 06:21 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD