07-09-12 06:02 AM
102 ... 2345
tools
    So my brother is trying to find a good jellybean rom for his galaxy nexus. And he tells me about how awesome google is now because it gives him traffic alerts and stuff. Yeah we've had that for a while but whatever... what gets me is what happens next. I receive an email from him and he tells me how awesome it is now because it knows that he goes to his friends house and when he opens up his navigation it shows the route to his house and how far away it is. How does this not bother people?? Seriously? Google and Apple are tracking and recording your every move and everything you do. I guess that's why the US is in the state it's in and I feel there is no hope for American's anymore. We are losing all our freedoms and soon our healthcare. GJ people. Open your eyes. /Rant
    You should have flushed this out a bit. You have made it real easy for the "normies" to call you crazy. I have been trying to point this stuff out too, about how consumers smart phone choices in the supposed free market show acceptance of the principles behind those ecosystems on a larger scale. People have been conditioned to not question these things and ridicule those who are both smart enough to understand them and show enough concern to point it out. My suggestion would be that next time, don't make it so easy for them to ridicule you. Come at it with a clearer argument. Example, instead of saying that the persons phone knows he goes to his friends house, say that the phone knows he is going to his friends house before he even opens up the navigation, because Google has already tracked him enough to know with a high enough probability where he is going at that particular time. Which is a scary thing, for an entity to have that kind of predictive power over a single individual. Definitely what one could consider over reaching. Another thing people don't understand is if the market determines the principles behind one kind of ecosystem are undesirable to the point that the maker of that ecosystem is squeezed out, and another ecosystem that follows those same principles does not pop up to replace it, it could be inferred that those principles on a larger scale could be in danger of disappearing entirely, also.

Is that what is happening with the affordable health care act? Are people losing coverage? Cause I thought it was that they were forcing us to purchase health insurance. I haven't had health insurance since I was a kid on my mom's insurance, and am kind of disturbed by the idea that they would try to force me to purchase something I would rarely use. In the last 10 years I have gone to the hospital emergency room 3 times or so, and not to a regular doctor at all. I don't believe in this system, it seems more interested in keeping us sick and propping up insurance companies and pharmaceutical companies. The biggest health mistake a society can make is making sickness profitable.

Don't let these folks get you down. It's obvious your heart and mind are in the right place. Those of us who are smart enough to understand your intent respect you for having the spine to say something. It's a hard time to keep quiet, events are happening quick, many just the repeats of previous closing and falling of open societies. But people are too content with their "bread and circuses" to learn from history and stand against the vastly impersonal forces attacking them on a personal level. Sadly it may be too late. But at least we can say we tried, I guess.
    FunktasticLucky likes this.
    07-05-12 03:06 AM
    This is why I don't wear pants! Your move, Google!
    Hey, I'm sure you know GGL knows it already lol
    07-05-12 03:08 AM
    YOU AGREED TO THE DATA USAGE[...]
    this whole thread and point of discussion is invalid when placed in a RIM vs. Google vs. Apple device outlook because the data itself is all being used the same way, no matter phone you decide to use.
    But, will you be able to USE YOUR DEVICE (android/iOS) if you do not agree ?
    I mean, isn't that somehow mandatory unless all you get is a basic ... phone ?
    Just asking.

I still believe the adage : "If one tells you a service is free over the Internet, be aware that you're probably his main product to sell".
    07-05-12 03:14 AM
    I the OP: thank you for wasting bandwidth with this thread.
    07-05-12 07:03 AM
    So my brother is trying to find a good jellybean rom for his galaxy nexus. And he tells me about how awesome google is now because it gives him traffic alerts and stuff. Yeah we've had that for a while but whatever... what gets me is what happens next. I receive an email from him and he tells me how awesome it is now because it knows that he goes to his friends house and when he opens up his navigation it shows the route to his house and how far away it is. How does this not bother people?? Seriously? Google and Apple are tracking and recording your every move and everything you do. I guess that's why the US is in the state it's in and I feel there is no hope for American's anymore. We are losing all our freedoms and soon our healthcare. GJ people. Open your eyes. /Rant
    That would carry more weight if not for the simple point that the user can selectively choose to not enable it, or can easily change or tailor which types of data can be referenced at any time. In fact, you're asked to configure it before using it. You can also dictate which type of information gets collected for those services, and delete that information afterward if you wish.

Speaking for Android Jelly Bean anyway. My experience with Apple's new services is rather limited.
    07-05-12 08:10 AM
    I still want to know why I need directions to a friends house I've been to several times from work.
    JBenn911 likes this.
    07-05-12 08:51 AM
    OMG This is horrible. Can you believe this? No matter, if you stick with RIM pretty soon you won't have anything to worry at all, as that data you value so much won't have anywhere to go.
    07-05-12 10:51 AM
    There is always a fine line between what is perceived as gathering info to better serve your customer versus what is perceived as snooping into your personal life. If you are seriousely worried about your privacy and personal information than these days you pretty much have to discard every single electronic device you own.

One of my favorite movie quotes -

Cereal Killer: FYI man, alright. You could sit at home, and do like absolutely nothing, and your name goes through like 17 computers a day. 1984? Yeah right, man. That's a typo. Orwell is here now. He's livin' large. We have no names, man. No names. We are nameless!
    07-05-12 11:34 AM
    I wrap my phone in tinfoil so I'm good from this conspiracy theory.
    mud314 likes this.
    07-05-12 12:40 PM
    If it's released, BB10 will have features like this. It's becoming standard on phones. Just the nature of connecting to a cellular network reveals your location and travel habits. There's not really any getting around this. Regulation could help mitigate privacy concerns, but using a BlackBerry isn't going to make you safer. Also, I don't think RIM's history in this area is particularly stellar.
    07-05-12 01:34 PM
    You are seriously taking the now, you're seriously comparing RIM to Google, a company proven to bypass all browser privacy settings, on all browsers even iphones, to keep tracking your usage? A company that has sucked all the private information out of private wifi networks AROUND THE WORLD? And that's just scratching the surface.

It's not even a matter of opinion, it's a matter of proof.

I think you should be banned from this site, you are of no benefit to it, you're just here to promote Google or anything else but BlackBerry.
    well, i do actually converse on the topic of the threads, and in the general discussion following. i don't march around to threads with a personal agenda of telling someone who uses another platform they should be banned from the site. you're right, that's a much higher calling to content contribution regarding the discussion BAN HER..

MY POINT was that I know exactly what information Google has from me, and it has all been legally and willfully obtained with my permission. RIM has given countries access to their servers, even in the UK. Against the will of the user. To me that puts RIM in a position where they can't claim information on their servers or network is anymore secure than anyone else. It isn't a knock on RIM. I don't think RIM is in the wrong for doing so. But if a company is willing to hand over your information to the government, what good is their security?
    Last edited by katiepea; 07-05-12 at 01:47 PM.
    07-05-12 01:39 PM
    I guess that's why the US is in the state it's in and I feel there is no hope for American's anymore. We are losing all our freedoms and soon our healthcare. GJ people. Open your eyes. /Rant
    Haha. One of the most amusing posts. I thought it was the misuse of apostrophes that was causing the downfall of our society... shows what I know. ;D

Also, If you are Japanese, why are you concerned about "our freedoms" and "our healthcare"?
    mud314 likes this.
    07-05-12 01:50 PM
    I think you should be banned from this site, you are of no benefit to it, you're just here to promote Google or anything else but BlackBerry.
    And Belfast is here to promote the validity of modern Psychiatry... Going to need an extra session this week.
    07-05-12 01:56 PM
    well, i do actually converse on the topic of the threads, and in the general discussion following. i don't march around to threads with a personal agenda of telling someone who uses another platform they should be banned from the site. you're right, that's a much higher calling to content contribution regarding the discussion BAN HER..

MY POINT was that I know exactly what information Google has from me, and it has all been legally and willfully obtained with my permission. RIM has given countries access to their servers, even in the UK. Against the will of the user. To me that puts RIM in a position where they can't claim information on their servers or network is anymore secure than anyone else. It isn't a knock on RIM. I don't think RIM is in the wrong for doing so. But if a company is willing to hand over your information to the government, what good is their security?

To ban you was my opinion, Google extracting all private information anywhere they can it's not my opinion, it's fact, to even compare them to Rim is complete misinformation. And you've done it in other threads too, example where you said all data was down during the outage, not just bis. Complete misinformation.

So what are you doing here?

Edit No, you don't know exactly what information Google has about you unless you're willing to accept Google has ALL the information browsed from your IP address, everything, that's what they have.
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 07-05-12 at 02:00 PM.
    07-05-12 01:56 PM
    E

Meaning if you were that concerned about it.. you would STOPPED using Google back when it was announced that the privacy policy was changing, this whole thread and point of discussion is invalid
    Some of us, such as myself, HAVE stopped using Google, Gmail, etc.....and some people don't realize Google is doing this because believe it or not not everyone reads updated privacy policies, like older people like my Dad who still thinks Google can't/won't/doesnt do that, even though they changed the privacy policy to allow them to (and it was all over the news; like most people these days he just doesn't seem to care about that).

This thread and point of discussion is valid in the context of RIM vs. Google vs. Apple because consumer decisions in the "free" market today about all-pervading tracking/snooping technology in their cell phones both influences the blind acceptance of such technology in future products (not just cell phones, but everything that could be used to track you, whether for personalized advertising, functionality within a gps app on your phone, or the purposes of nefarious over reaching corporatocracies/governments), and threatens to squeeze out less intrusive companies/ecosystems, leaving no alternative to all-pervasive intrusion by corporate entities. Which some of us really do not like. If RIM came out today and said they planned on doing something similar, I would just stop using cell phones until a suitable alternative in the market came along. Would get rid of my PB too, if it became something that was actively used to track my every move and there wasn't a way to turn off the tracking.

Ask any sociologist, you can with rather high accuracy study the trends in the micro and know what will occur in the macro, and vice versa.
    Last edited by ThaSwapMeetPimp; 07-05-12 at 02:11 PM.
    FunktasticLucky likes this.
    07-05-12 01:59 PM
    I don't remember reading any policy where Google stated they will bypass my browser security settings and set cookies despite me setting my browser not to allow any cookies, i don't remember ever agreeing with that.
    07-05-12 02:03 PM
    For a while the pedantic belligerence was entertaining, now it's just annoying. Ignore list utilized.
    pkcable likes this.
    07-05-12 02:04 PM
    I still want to know why I need directions to a friends house I've been to several times from work.
    The new features aren't specifically to give you directions to a friend's house from wherever you are, or directions back and forth from work (though it can, which is typically used to demo it). The added feature is there to include events or tasks in your calendar, and gives you the best travel route based on traffic and drive time. For example... suppose you have a meeting or appointment to get to in 45 minutes, and you're 35 minutes away. Google will give you a reminder of the upcoming appointment and show you the best route to be there on time. If for some reason the traffic along your usual route is particularly slow that day, and the route will take you 46 minutes, Google will find a different route that will get you there in time (assuming there is a faster route).

I've already found it handy a few times in the week I've used it.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    07-05-12 03:06 PM
    The new features aren't specifically to give you directions to a friend's house from wherever you are, or directions back and forth from work (though it can, which is typically used to demo it). The added feature is there to include events or tasks in your calendar, and gives you the best travel route based on traffic and drive time. For example... suppose you have a meeting or appointment to get to in 45 minutes, and you're 35 minutes away. Google will give you a reminder of the upcoming appointment and show you the best route to be there on time. If for some reason the traffic along your usual route is particularly slow that day, and the route will take you 46 minutes, Google will find a different route that will get you there in time (assuming there is a faster route).

I've already found it handy a few times in the week I've used it.
    I get that. What I don't get is why it would even suggest a route to my friends house from work just because I went there after work. Don't most gps have traffic and rerouting these days?
    07-05-12 03:14 PM
    In other words, people don't give 2 craps about their privacy and freedom.
    Add: "Nor security" to that.
    RIM has acknowledged that.
    07-05-12 03:30 PM
    I get that. What I don't get is why it would even suggest a route to my friends house from work just because I went there after work. Don't most gps have traffic and rerouting these days?
    alright lets try it this way.

Normally you leave work and it takes you 45 minutes to get home. You know the route already so how often do you ever use GPS for this trip home? Now all i have to do leave work and briefly check my notifications. The idea is that it will already show you the estimated time to get home without you doing anything. So you look at it shows 57 minutes to get home. You can then look and see what is causing the longer travel time and maybe decide to take a different route before you start your trip home perhaps.

There is a bit more to it as it will also show the route its taking and also a button to touch if you want to enter the navigation part of google maps.

You have to use it really get an idea of how it works. Its nice but certainly needs some more work.
    07-05-12 04:31 PM
    Google Now doesn't just suggest it because you happened to drive there from work one time. You have to have established a pattern of similar repeated trips. And even then, it takes repeated trips to trigger the automatic notification. Google Now recognizes patterns. And even when it does recognize a pattern, it's a simple matter of telling it to disregard a pattern.

And it's not like you get inundated with obnoxious notifications. You pretty much have to go looking for it.

Yes, most/all GPS have traffic rerouting these days. Some of us though, like to see it automagically without having to go looking for it. You don't want it? Don't enable it. That simple.
    07-05-12 05:41 PM
    07-05-12 08:02 PM
    Thanks guys and sorry. I was just messing around because it hit me as funny.
    07-05-12 08:35 PM
    You should have flushed this out a bit. You have made it real easy for the "normies" to call you crazy. I have been trying to point this stuff out too, about how consumers smart phone choices in the supposed free market show acceptance of the principles behind those ecosystems on a larger scale. People have been conditioned to not question these things and ridicule those who are both smart enough to understand them and show enough concern to point it out. My suggestion would be that next time, don't make it so easy for them to ridicule you. Come at it with a clearer argument. Example, instead of saying that the persons phone knows he goes to his friends house, say that the phone knows he is going to his friends house before he even opens up the navigation, because Google has already tracked him enough to know with a high enough probability where he is going at that particular time. Which is a scary thing, for an entity to have that kind of predictive power over a single individual. Definitely what one could consider over reaching. Another thing people don't understand is if the market determines the principles behind one kind of ecosystem are undesirable to the point that the maker of that ecosystem is squeezed out, and another ecosystem that follows those same principles does not pop up to replace it, it could be inferred that those principles on a larger scale could be in danger of disappearing entirely, also.

Is that what is happening with the affordable health care act? Are people losing coverage? Cause I thought it was that they were forcing us to purchase health insurance. I haven't had health insurance since I was a kid on my mom's insurance, and am kind of disturbed by the idea that they would try to force me to purchase something I would rarely use. In the last 10 years I have gone to the hospital emergency room 3 times or so, and not to a regular doctor at all. I don't believe in this system, it seems more interested in keeping us sick and propping up insurance companies and pharmaceutical companies. The biggest health mistake a society can make is making sickness profitable.

Don't let these folks get you down. It's obvious your heart and mind are in the right place. Those of us who are smart enough to understand your intent respect you for having the spine to say something. It's a hard time to keep quiet, events are happening quick, many just the repeats of previous closing and falling of open societies. But people are too content with their "bread and circuses" to learn from history and stand against the vastly impersonal forces attacking them on a personal level. Sadly it may be too late. But at least we can say we tried, I guess.
    Thank you. I realize that it was not written well at all when people started commenting. It is obvious that I did NOT get my point across at ALL. You sir have said it better than anyone, and if you have read the comments after, it's obvious people really don't care. As others have stated. Google has established your pattern. It's keeping your information and letting you know. Others have mentioned about GPS units like Garmin. my Garmin GPS does the same thing that good does. He notices I may be traveling a path I have before and begins to give me traffic updates. The difference is that this information is stored on my GPS device. Not some data server owned by Garmin.

I am in the process of moving most of my stuff off of Google. Just need to find email storage that will work for my needs. Then I will be free from all there recorded data.

Maybe I'm a tad more cautious of what information I throw out there. Just because I'm in Japan doesn't mean I'm actually Japanese. I'm a US Citizen. I'm stationed in Japan. But again thank you again ThaSwapMeetPimp. You definitely understood the point I was trying to get across in my poorly typed up post. And I'm glad you understand the frustration with the majority of the Citizens in this country that have no problems giving up their security, privacy, freedoms to our government.

Just an experience i had when I first hated Google. I have never had any google services installed on my phone ever. I had created a Gmail account LONG ago but I never used it on my phone. I had used my comcast email. Well my brother went google and so I installed gtalk on my blackberry storm so I could communicate with him while I was deployed in the middle east. Well when I moved away and lost my comcast I migrated to gmail. I logged into my gmail account on my PC to figure out how to set up email on my blackberry and what do I see... ALL my phone contacts in my Gmail account. every one of them. With phone numbers, addresses and everything. How is it that Google got this information as I was never asked for it. The only thing I can think of is that the Google Talk app downloaded it all.
    Last edited by FunktasticLucky; 07-07-12 at 08:40 PM.
    07-07-12 08:32 PM
102 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD