So my brother is trying to find a good jellybean rom for his galaxy nexus. And he tells me about how awesome google is now because it gives him traffic alerts and stuff. Yeah we've had that for a while but whatever... what gets me is what happens next. I receive an email from him and he tells me how awesome it is now because it knows that he goes to his friends house and when he opens up his navigation it shows the route to his house and how far away it is. How does this not bother people?? Seriously? Google and Apple are tracking and recording your every move and everything you do. I guess that's why the US is in the state it's in and I feel there is no hope for American's anymore. We are losing all our freedoms and soon our healthcare. GJ people. Open your eyes. /Rant
    07-03-12 03:19 PM
    So my brother is trying to find a good jellybean rom for his galaxy nexus. And he tells me about how awesome google is now because it gives him traffic alerts and stuff. Yeah we've had that for a while but whatever... what gets me is what happens next. I receive an email from him and he tells me how awesome it is now because it knows that he goes to his friends house and when he opens up his navigation it shows the route to his house and how far away it is. How does this not bother people?? Seriously? Google and Apple are tracking and recording your every move and everything you do. I guess that's why the US is in the state it's in and I feel there is no hope for American's anymore. We are losing all our freedoms and soon our healthcare. GJ people. Open your eyes. /Rant
    Are you serious?
    07-03-12 03:21 PM
    In other words, people don't give 2 craps about their privacy and freedom.
    07-03-12 03:23 PM
    Have you never used gps navigation before?? Like Garmin or TomTom? It gives you the route and your estimated time of arrival. I believe BB Traffic does the same...
    07-03-12 03:24 PM
    yes I've used GPS like Garmin and TomTom. But all your personal information isn't tied to a handheld GPS. And I'm pretty sure it doesn't transmit information BACK to Garmin and TomTom either. Basically he loaded up JellyBean and opened his navigation and it automatically plotted a course to his friends. Like it knew he was headed there already.
    07-03-12 03:26 PM
    yes I've used GPS like Garmin and TomTom. But all your personal information isn't tied to a handheld GPS. And I'm pretty sure it doesn't transmit information BACK to Garmin and TomTom either. Basically he loaded up JellyBean and opened his navigation and it automatically plotted a course to his friends. Like it knew he was headed there already.
    I have starred locations too, where I can just tap on a saved location and it navigates me there depending on where I am too. Are you saying that Google read his mind and knew that he was heading to his friend's house without him selecting that option?

ETA: You can always turn off location services as well. Some people might like having those options available, but if you don't, you don't have to use them.
    07-03-12 03:29 PM
    You can disable the GPS on your phone if you are worried about being tracked. You can use Google Maps offline.
    pantlesspenguin and Yaceka like this.
    07-03-12 03:33 PM
    basically it took into account he was at his work. And how he often stops by his friends house on his way home and recommended a route to his friends house from work. If it were RIM I wouldn't worry. I don't trust google at all. I trust RIM when it comes to my personal information.
    stevepar and bungaboy like this.
    07-03-12 03:33 PM
    I think you all are missing the point. The point is that everyone sees this as revolutionary and innovative and are willing to give up their privacy and freedoms. They don't care that they are losing their freedoms. Look at Obamacare... I don't think anyone cares that it's going to put insurance companies out of business and that they will then pay the government for their healthcare.
    maddie1128 likes this.
    07-03-12 03:38 PM
    07-03-12 03:40 PM
    I think you all are missing the point. The point is that everyone sees this as revolutionary and innovative and are willing to give up their privacy and freedoms. They don't care that they are losing their freedoms. Look at Obamacare... I don't think anyone cares that it's going to put insurance companies out of business and that they will then pay the government for their healthcare.
    This is a discussion that doesn't belong on these forums. I do agree that Google can't be trusted, but your opinion on Obamacare has nothing to do with Blackberry phones or the Playbook.

Secondly, about 99.9% of the US population is uninformed when it comes to our government's activities & you probably don't want to know what the CIA is up to...

Let's just stick to phones and tablets.
    07-03-12 03:45 PM
    Wait, huh?
    07-03-12 03:46 PM
    basically it took into account he was at his work. And how he often stops by his friends house on his way home and recommended a route to his friends house from work. If it were RIM I wouldn't worry. I don't trust google at all. I trust RIM when it comes to my personal information.
    If someone is cheating on their spouse, then that's when to worry about this kinda stuff.
    It's really up to the individual to utilize the service if they choose to.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    07-03-12 03:48 PM
    that seems to be the mentality of most right there... Well I'm not doing anything I'm not supposed to so who cares if it's recording all my private data and tracking my every location.
    maddie1128 likes this.
    07-03-12 03:51 PM
    07-03-12 03:52 PM
    You need to blame bush/repugs for the "patriot"act that enables this.btw,it is a gross violation of human and civil rights to enact this so-called 9-11 law.
    07-03-12 03:55 PM
    It takes a special kind of crazy to go from a phone "following" your brother
    to The Affordable Care Act (the real name of the blasted thing) to bankrupt
    insurance companies
    07-03-12 03:56 PM
    So I take it the OP has never heard of Facebook or the FourSquare app? Blackberries run those too..
    07-03-12 03:56 PM
    that seems to be the mentality of most right there... Well I'm not doing anything I'm not supposed to so who cares if it's recording all my private data and tracking my every location.
    I just said it's up to the individual. Why does it bother you that someone doesn't value what
    you value? People are different, man.
    07-03-12 03:57 PM
    OP I believe you are missing a point here....at some point during initial setup your brother OPTED INTO this tracking.

I use Google judiciously. I opt into very few things.

That said, anyone who ever sent one byte online has left a print.

That's reality. I suggest your brother check into the permissions he's granted and revoke those he does not want.
    07-03-12 03:58 PM
    blame bush and the repugs?? why not blame Obama who said he was against the patriot act and signed it into Permanent Law. Or the National Defense Authorization act. But that's all I'll comment on that. I didn't really want this to turn into a political debate. There are many politic forums for that

@jthep - Don't use FourSquare and I don't use Facebook Locations. And most of the time I'm connected through a VPN.
    07-03-12 03:58 PM
    haha Qbnkelt, He LIKES the features. His words, he stopped caring a LONG time ago. He has nothing to hide.
    07-03-12 03:59 PM
    It takes a special kind of crazy to go from a phone "following" your brother
    to The Affordable Care Act (the real name of the blasted thing) to bankrupt
    insurance companies
    LOL!!!! AG, I'm quickly becoming a fan!!!!
    07-03-12 04:00 PM
    haha Qbnkelt, He LIKES the features. His words, he stopped caring a LONG time ago. He has nothing to hide.
    OK ...so you're needlessly stressing. Like the other poster said, you've got different values.
    07-03-12 04:02 PM
    Contrasting?

It sounds like you have a beef with your brother.
    07-03-12 04:04 PM
102 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD