ST. CLAIRSVILLE, Ohio -- Starting Jan. 1, Ohio drivers will have a new law to obey. Officials say it actually took effect six months ago, but it is about to become "enforceable." It means a $100 fine for anyone found in violation. Basically, the law mandates that if you have your windshield wipers on, you must turn on your headlights too. It's that simple. No matter what prompted you to turn your wipers on -- snow, sleet, rain, mist or fog -- if it was precipitation, your headlights must be on.

"After the first six months, the violation becomes enforceable, in that a ticket can be written if the officer chooses to do so," said Lt. Roger Norris, post commander of the Ohio State Highway Patrol in Belmont and Monroe counties. "It's a secondary violation, as is a safety belt violation. There has to be a primary violation as to why you were pulled over and at that point the officer has the authority to issue a citation if he chooses to do so."

Norris said people whose cars have "running lights" will not get any slack. He said it has to be headlights -- and hence taillights also -- that are on when the wipers are working. And the $100 fine is just a minimum. Norris said they can also add court costs, which would make it even more expensive.

I tell you what i cannot
    -smoke in my house or car
    -smoke in a public building, or public place
    -drive around with my seatbelt off

and now i HAVE to run with my headlights on, if i have my wipers on....

i just wonder what they would do if was running down the highway without my wipers on since i have Rain X on my windshield...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-12-10 01:55 PM
    I understand the reasoning but I don't understand why it's become an enforcable law. It's like an insult to any driver with common sense.

But then again, there are alot of really stupid people out there driving.
    01-12-10 02:24 PM
    I understand the reasoning but I don't understand why it's become an enforcable law. It's like an insult to any driver with common sense.

But then again, there are alot of really stupid people out there driving
    Exactly. I have no issue with this being an enforceable law as the intent is
    public safety, not unlike speed limits, seat belt laws, child seat laws, etc...
    01-12-10 02:29 PM
    Well it doesn't affect me anyway because I don't live in Ohio and I almost always remember to turn my lights on.

BUT... sometimes if it's just starting to mist or rain outside but the sun is still out or your headlights are not needed for visibility, it could easily slip your mind to turn them on. In that case, I hope the officers grant a little lee-way in writing those tickets because it doesn't seem very fair if it's an honest mistake.

BUT AGAIN... I can't tell you how many times an officer has told me "Ignorance of the law is no excuse"

I figure some such justification will be provided by those officers who are mean and ugly for no reason.

It just sucks for drivers who use common sense and have a clean record to get a ticket for something so silly if it just slips your mind.
    01-12-10 02:42 PM
    Exactly. I have no issue with this being an enforceable law as the intent is
    public safety, not unlike speed limits, seat belt laws, child seat laws, etc...
    I really have no problem with the law. when i am drving my car i have my lights on, period. Rain, snow, fog, sunny and 74*F my lights are on.

my problem is the baby sitting laws are protecting idiots from them selves... and draggin the good "common sense" people down with them...

I have a 8wk old daughter, i know it's !!! BAD !!! for me to take her to KY and go inside inside a building that has smoking permitted in the building.... i know it's dangerous to drive down i-275 doing 90mph where the speed limit is 65mph... i know it is dangerous to run a red light....

I'm not ignorant enough to think laws are in place for a reason. IE according to the Ohio Code i am not allowed to carry my firearm into a building that is used for housing for the mental ill.... kinda makes sense.... all the laws that are already in place are there for a reason, but adding laws to protect idiots from themselves.... that is what bothers me... that the Government has to protect people from themselves...

I wish we could just let the gene pool filter it self sometimes.
    01-12-10 02:54 PM
    That law has been in effect in PA since 2006. This law is about your safety, as well as the other drivers out on the roads. Is it really that big of a deal? No.

There are still a lot of people that drive around in the rain with their wipers on and headlights off. If you don't agree with it, go ahead and leave them off when it's raining. Hopefully you won't get pulled over for something else & cited for it.

01-12-10 03:02 PM
    Yeah in the city's defense, it's also designed to protect us "common sense" drivers from idiots who don't know how to drive. I'm kind of torn on the subject honestly.

An accident that's not your fault is not always avoidable.
    01-12-10 03:11 PM
    WHAT, i cant carry my gun in a friggn mental inst, what has the world come to.
    belive it or not, but here in Idaho, with a CW lic.i can take a gun into the court house as long as i tell them i have it.
    01-12-10 03:24 PM
    Mike I thinkk you are looking at this the wrong way. It is not a "babysitting" law or
    a law to protect id!ots from themselves. It also has nothing to do with common
    sense and those of us with it are not being put upon by such a law.

It is a public safety law, which by it's nature intends not only to protect the stupid
    people but the people they may are interacting with.
    01-12-10 03:49 PM
    Mike I thinkk you are looking at this the wrong way. It is not a "babysitting" law or
    a law to protect id!ots from themselves. It also has nothing to do with common
    sense and those of us with it are not being put upon by such a law.

It is a public safety law, which by it's nature intends not only to protect the stupid
    people but the people they may are interacting with.
    Thats kinda my entire point... let the gene pool filter itself sometimes. I know it sounds harsh, and i may sound mean, but something has to happen to prevent people from doing certain things.

Take my point when you were little and you'd walk over to a stove, your mom and dad would tell you " hot stay away", so you'd wobble, as small childern do, away from it... a few moments go by you'd wobble over to it again, and your mom and dad would firmly say " I TOLD YOU IT WAS HOT - STAY AWAY ".... and with out your mom and dad looking youd wobble over it , without them having a clue. And you'd place your hand on the stove and get burned. and you from the point forward remember " if i touch something hot i get burned, and getting burned hurts : note to self do not touch hot stuff !!! "

same type of idea plays here.... you are a mature adult... you know that if it is raining several things are going to happen 1) roads will become slick 2) brakes will not work as well 3) your vision distance will decrease 4) other idiots don't care about you, they only know "i need to get where i am going...so it would make sense to 1) drive a little slower 2) start stopping a little sooner 3) turn your lights on 4) be more aware of your surroundings.

I guess it boils down to other people not caring about your safty... and the government has to make it a even playing field of EVERYONE...

01-12-10 04:40 PM
    Thats kinda my entire point... let the gene pool filter itself sometimes. I know it sounds harsh, and i may sound mean, but something has to happen to prevent people from doing certain things.
    Agreed and those things are again, called Public Safety Laws. Following your
    logic there would be no speed limits, people would drive on whatever side of
    the road they wish, drive with their children on their lap, etc.....

The problem with letting the gene pool filter itself out is that the stupid will
    inevitably take out others with them.
    01-12-10 05:06 PM

But then again, there are alot of really stupid people out there driving.
    I on the other hand don't even understand the reasoning.
    01-12-10 09:23 PM
    wow...

You see let me explain about headlights.

You see headlights not only allow you to see...but also allow others to see you.
    So when you have wipers on you are indicating you have a problem with visibility.
    With your logic it should be legal to drive at night with no headlights and nightvision goggles.
    SSSSSSOOOOOOO yeah.

Also LULZ my car has auto headlights that do this anyway
    Last edited by Archangel00195; 01-12-10 at 10:42 PM.
    01-12-10 10:37 PM
    With your logic it should be legal to drive at night with no headlights and nightvision goggles.
    SSSSSSOOOOOOO yeah.
    Perfect
    01-12-10 10:51 PM
    Our Toyota has automatic headlights so if it's dark enough from the rain they will come on. In a few years, all cars will be designed for the headlights to come on when you turn on the wipers so this will probably be a moot point.
    01-13-10 06:44 AM
    I hope not. I hate auto-lights.

Well, at least the ones that are on all the time.
    01-13-10 07:12 AM
    I hope not. I hate auto-lights.

Well, at least the ones that are on all the time.
    But typically those do not turn on the tail lights, and according to the new law headlights and tailights have to be on.

01-13-10 07:17 AM
    Our auto-lights turn on head and tails lights.
    01-13-10 09:59 AM
    It makes sense that if you have your wipers on due to rain or snow etc. that it would also be a **GOOD* idea to also have your lights on! I fail to see the problem with this..
    01-15-10 04:23 AM
    It makes sense that if you have your wipers on due to rain or snow etc. that it would also be a **GOOD* idea to also have your lights on! I fail to see the problem with this..
    you're missing my point by a long shot. i agree that if you wipers on, you ought to have your head lights on.... i'm not fighting or barking against the law in-itself...

my problem is the local government MAKING people do it, they are taking the common sense out of the equation, and telling them what common sense is...

Just like in certain states it is against the law to cook with trans fat.....

wait a tick, eating alot of food cooked in trans fat will make you over weight CORRECT? well instead of making people responsible for their weight problems, by billing them for thier weight related medical problems. the ban the whole state from cooking with trans fats, so people like me who typically eat alot of lowfat chili and salads, cannot enjoy trans fat fried foods from time to time.

Last edited by mjneid; 01-15-10 at 07:58 AM.
    01-15-10 07:55 AM
    If it makes sense to do it then I don't see the problem! If it didn't make sense like if a law was passed making it illegal not to wear a pink shirt while driving then I could understand it...
    01-15-10 08:04 AM
    still missing the point, it has nothing to do with the law that has been placed.... it has to do with the government revoming the need for people to think on their own and reason stuff out....

01-15-10 10:57 AM
    still missing the point, it has nothing to do with the law that has been placed.... it has to do with the government revoming the need for people to think on their own and reason stuff out....

Sometimes making a law is the only way for people to learn. I am sometimes amazed at the stupid people that drive around in snow and rainstorms without headlights. Any sensible person would know that it makes you more visible from a greater distance to have your lights on in those conditions. But some people just don't seem to have the reasoning capacity or simply don't give a crap.
    01-15-10 03:24 PM

Any sensible person would know that it makes you more visible from a greater distance to have your lights on in those conditions.

But some people just don't seem to have the reasoning capacity or simply don't give a crap.
    the first point you made is my point in a nut shell regarding this law. anyone with a half a brain cell would know to turn your lights on.

and that is a massive problem with this world. everyone cares about one person, their name : "self".

01-16-10 11:20 AM
    Mike, I still don't know why the issue of Public Safety escapes you.

This is not about common sense or nanny laws or anything else. It is about making
    the roads safe for all.

Again, this is no different than laws that govern what side of the road people
    must drive on, seat belt laws, car seat regulations, etc.
    01-16-10 02:23 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD