Anyone on here have an Android tablet that can help me out?

I was given an Asus Transformer Infinity TF700T last year for Christmas. It a very well designed device, but the build quality is horrible. Using the words Infinity Tablet and reliability in the same sentence is a criminal offense.

If anyone on here has one or knows anything about them and can offer me some assistance I'd appreciate it. I've posted on Android Central and the Asus forums without any luck. I really can't afford a new tablet right now.

Thanks!

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    Last edited by crazigee; 04-14-14 at 05:29 AM.
    04-13-14 03:38 PM
    What's wrong with it?
    04-13-14 03:45 PM
    Yeah whats wrong with it... if u need new os on it ie android kitkat go to xda developers..unlock bootloader and load a custom rom.. will make ur tablet experience better

Posted via CB10
    04-13-14 03:48 PM
    Root it. ROM it and enjoy it
    04-13-14 04:34 PM
    Like I did with my SG4, CyanogenMod has roms for pretty much all Android style devices, and then some.
    04-13-14 04:53 PM
    Thanks for the replies. I wanted to see if anyone could help before I took the time to write out the lengthy problem.

Here goes:

I have a TF700T running Android 4.2. I also have the OEM dock/keyboard. There is a second battery in the keyboard that almost doubles the overall battery life of the device. It was given to me last Christmas and it's been nothing but problems since. The dock was replaced twice under warranty and sent for repair once. It's well designed but terrible build quality and not reliable at all.

I'd just get a new tablet, but that isn't in the budget.

Here's my current problem:

A couple of weeks ago while on a flight my tablet suddenly powered down. It just completely died as if the battery was completely dead, and wouldn't turn back on. The power button was completely unresponsive. I thought this was a little odd since the battery was fully charged before I got on the plane and I had only been using it for two hours or so. I had the Asus dock, attached which has another batter so I should have been able to get at least 6-8 hours of battery life.

Fortunately, there were power outlets at the seats so I plugged in the tablet. Once it had powered up I discovered that there was still 91% on the dock battery and 95% on the tablet battery. I thought this was odd but didn't think much more about it.

It then happened two more times.

The last time was on a connecting flight that didn't have power outlets. The tablet wouldn't turn on at all. Again it was as if the batteries were completely dead. Nothing would happen when I pressed the power button.

When I got home I was tired and forgot to plug in the tablet. Then next morning when I plugged the tablet I was able to turn it on right away. It has been more than 18 hours since the tablet suddenly turned off the day day before, so the battery should have been supper low. Instead the dock battery is showing 29% and the tablet battery 87%.

The tablet is acting as if the battery is dead, when in fact it isn't. It suddenly powers down and won't turn back on until you plug it in. As soon as it is plugged in, I can turn it back on, and can be
    immediately unplugged and used for several hours so clearly it isn't a battery problem.
    Since this started happening two weeks ago it has only gotten worse. I can't get more than about 20-30 use before it dies. It's basically useless if it isn't connected to a power source.

I haven't installed any new software or made any changes in the last several months. I've tried a cold reboot / hard reset, with the dock attached and that didn't do anything.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thanks,

04-14-14 05:22 AM
    Might be a software glitch try loading a kitkat rom if that does not work might be hardware issues.

If u thinking of a new tablet u can get a 32 gb nexus 7 1 generation really cheap. In UK u can get one for less than 100.00 pounds on ebay.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-14 08:22 AM
    Might be a software glitch try loading a kitkat rom if that does not work might be hardware issues.

If u thinking of a new tablet u can get a 32 gb nexus 7 1 generation really cheap. In UK u can get one for less than 100.00 pounds on ebay.

Posted via CB10

Thanks for the suggestion.

What does loading "kit kat rom" mean? Sorry I a super novice when it comes to Android.

Last edited by crazigee; 04-14-14 at 09:18 AM.
    04-14-14 08:28 AM
    Agree w/ the Nexus recommendation. Just bought my Wife a Google Nexus 7, 323GB (by Asus) and she loves it.

Went to the Google (https://play.google.com/store) and they bounced me to Amazon.com as an available retailer (Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more).

Even tho I said I bought the Nexus for my Wife it was part of my R&D plan for the day my PB dies.......which I still use.
    04-14-14 08:39 AM
    Could be software (rogue app) or hardware ( battery connection issue). I'd probably do a factory data reset (backup all data as it will delete that). That would indicate a hardware problem. If it still operates the same, I'd def contact ASUS for return/repair. You said you got it Xmas 2013. New or used? If new, should still have warranty left.
    Last edited by Gooseberry Falls; 04-14-14 at 09:14 AM.
    04-14-14 08:51 AM
    Could be software (rogue app) or hardware ( battery connection issue). I'd probably do a factory data reset (backup all data as it will delete that). If it still operates the same, I'd def contact ASUS for return/repair. You said you got it Xmas 2013. New or used? If new, should still have warranty left.
    It was new. But it was Christmas 2012. Sorry I realize now that "last Christmas" was a bit confusing. That being said I would assume the warranty it up.

How do I do a factory data reset?

04-14-14 09:14 AM
    Thanks. Sorry I'm a novice. I don't know what any of that means. Lol.

04-14-14 09:15 AM
    What did you mean by "hard reset"? Maybe you already did it? Never hurts to try when it comes to support. Just ask ASUS and depending on the rep, they may do something. It is only a couple of months out of warranty.

[How To] Factory Data Reset

Rooting allows you to get more permissions in the OS so you can load custom ROMs (not those made by ASUS). I don't think you need to do that till you have ruled out hardware as your problem. If it doesn't work with the factory data reset, it is most likely a hardware problem.
    Last edited by Gooseberry Falls; 04-14-14 at 09:29 AM.
    04-14-14 09:19 AM
    That's a bit odd. I have a tf101 (the original transformer)

I've had it for years and never had an issue.

It seems your unit may just have some odd issues. I've found Asus quality to be excellent.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-14 09:22 AM
    What did you mean by "hard reset"? Maybe you already did it? Never hurts to try. Just ask ASUS and depending on the rep, they may do something. It is only a couple of months out of warranty.

[How To] Factory Data Reset
    Asus call a hard reset or cold reboot what I have always known to be a soft reset. It is a reset that doesn't delete any data from the device.

I try following the steps in the link.

Thanks for the help.

04-14-14 09:24 AM
    Just remember to back up any data on the device. It will make the device like "out of the box" again. I think it said to put it on the keyboard dock when you do the FDR. Process may be a little different on the Infinity, like settings>backup and restore, or something like that. I think ASUS doesn't use pure android except in the Nexus devices and uses their own interface.
    04-14-14 09:34 AM
    Just remember to back up any data on the device. It will make the device like "out of the box" again. I think it said to put it on the keyboard dock when you do the FDR. Process may be a little different on the Infinity, like settings>backup and restore, or something like that. I think ASUS doesn't use pure android except in the Nexus devices and uses their own interface.
    I've backed up the apps using the pre-installed app. I find it annoying that all files are saved to internal memory even when there's a microSD or SD inserted. There should be a setting to save those files to the external memory.

Are there any good free backup apps that will also backup my files and settings? Or so I have to do all that manually?

04-14-14 09:47 AM
    Not sure what the app backup app does, just the app data, like game status? Does it store the backup on the SD card? There are apps, e.g. memory managers, that allow you transfer the apps to SD card. Some devices just don't let you, however. But you should still be able to reinstall apps from Google Play Store.

If you go into the settings in certain apps, you can tell it where to store the files it creates.

There are backup apps in the Play Store. A lot require that you are rooted. I'm not sure if I would trust restoring any backup in this case as the problem might reappear. Manually going through your files may be best if you don't have a lot. Look in your storage settings options. There might be a "Transfer data to storage card" option. My devices have usually worked pretty well (knock on wood) so I don't have too much experience with FDR and rebuilding the device. You might ask more on those android forums.

A note on your SD card. Sometimes they can create problems if they get corrupt. I'd try taking it out and doing the soft reboot/reset.

I'd also take the SD card out when doing the FDR. Also, make VERY sure the tab does NOT lose power during the process.
    Last edited by Gooseberry Falls; 04-14-14 at 10:37 AM.
    04-14-14 10:24 AM
    Not sure what the app backup app does, just the app data, like game status? Does it store the backup on the SD card? There are apps, e.g. memory managers, that allow you transfer the apps to SD card. Some devices just don't let you, however. But you should still be able to reinstall apps from Google Play Store.

If you go into the settings in certain apps, you can tell it where to store the files it creates.

There are backup apps in the Play Store. A lot require that you are rooted. I'm not sure if I would trust restoring any backup in this case as the problem might reappear. Manually going through your files may be best if you don't have a lot. Look in your storage settings options. There might be a "Transfer data to storage card" option. My devices have usually worked pretty well (knock on wood) so I don't have too much experience with FDR and rebuilding the device. You might ask more on those android forums.

A note on your SD card. Sometimes they can create problems if they get corrupt. I'd try taking it out and doing the soft reboot/reset.

I'd also take the SD card out when doing the FDR. Also, make VERY sure the tab does NOT lose power during the process.
    I'll try taking out the SD Card and trying the reset. Thanks.

If that doesn't work I'll try the full restore as you suggest. And I'll keep it plugged in while doing it.

04-14-14 11:31 AM