This is very off-topic, but I figure Crackberry folks are tech savvy, so here goes....

For fun, I want to get an OLD Sony Watchman. That's one of those analog, CRT (!) portable TVs. Dirt cheap on ebay. It has no modern ports, but there's an antenna. Will this work to get a signal to it -> I'm going to put a small pin or needle into the RF out port of a VCR or DVD player. I'll wrap aluminum foil around the pin's protruding end and wrap the same aluminum foil around the antenna of the Watchman. Pretty low-tech stuff. But, will I get a signal?

BTW, I do know a way to produce an analog broadcast, but that requires spending actual money on gadgets, and would be like creating a pirate station, so....
    09-25-20 10:57 PM
    Can't see that working. The Watchman is looking for a broadcast analog frequency signal, whereas the output from your VCR is not at all the same as a broadcast frequency.
    This is very off-topic, but I figure Crackberry folks are tech savvy, so here goes....

For fun, I want to get an OLD Sony Watchman. That's one of those analog, CRT (!) portable TVs. Dirt cheap on ebay. It has no modern ports, but there's an antenna. Will this work to get a signal to it -> I'm going to put a small pin or needle into the RF out port of a VCR or DVD player. I'll wrap aluminum foil around the pin's protruding end and wrap the same aluminum foil around the antenna of the Watchman. Pretty low-tech stuff. But, will I get a signal?

BTW, I do know a way to produce an analog broadcast, but that requires spending actual money on gadgets, and would be like creating a pirate station, so....
    09-25-20 11:59 PM
    In theory, the vcr RF out port leaks a low analog broadcast signal, which you can pick up if you put a tv antenna right next to it. I’m going to experiment! I know it works, I just have to find the right combo of parts.
    09-26-20 02:31 PM
    Hard to believe but those Watchman's were actually CRT! Black and white only though right? A video sender/extender would work and you could probably pick up one up for $20. But if as you say you're doing it on the cheap try anything but don't expect anything watchable ; -)
    In theory, the vcr RF out port leaks a low analog broadcast signal, which you can pick up if you put a tv antenna right next to it. I’m going to experiment! I know it works, I just have to find the right combo of parts.
    09-26-20 03:46 PM
    It leaks a signal appropriate for being transmitted/carried via coaxial cable does it not?
    09-26-20 05:28 PM
    Weren't those normally set-up for sending via channel 3 or 4 VHF, but for a wired coaxial connection?
    09-26-20 05:32 PM
    The first NIC I ever got (still have it) had a 10Base2 (or maybe 5) female (or maybe it's male) coaxial connector on it, in addition to an RJ45 female port. I still have it in a box in the basement and bump into it probably once a year. Every time I see it I tell myself I need to get a second one off Amazon and setup a small coaxial wired network in my home, just for the fun if it.
    09-26-20 05:40 PM
    EDIT

Try using a 75/300 ohm transformer and feed the output from the DVD player through good old rabbit ears.
    Last edited by Kraftarama; 09-26-20 at 07:15 PM.
    09-26-20 05:48 PM
    Yes, that's what I was thinking, too. It's a solution for these old TVs without AV input.
    I have an old Casio 510 I use the AV input on with a Roku unit. Works great, has a TFT active matrix screen.
    09-26-20 07:57 PM
    I tried various permutations with my DVD recorder/player. It has an RF output and "digital tuner" but nothing showed up on-screen. I guess it just wasn't an analog output.

So, I switched back to my old VCR machine. Hooked a coaxial cable into the RF antenna out jack on the VCR machine and touched the other end of the coaxial cable right on my handheld TV antenna. It worked! I got a signal! So, now I can either go dirt-cheap and use home wire with aluminum foil between the devices, or spend $2 on a coaxial female-to-3.5mm jack and plug that into the "ext ant" port on the portable handheld TV.

Now, some folks may mock the relevance of trying to get a 2-inch, B&W screen to work, but then they would be missing the entire point of this fun experiment and trip down memory lane!
    anon(10694483) likes this.
    10-01-20 03:46 PM
    ...and touched the other end of the coaxial cable right on my handheld TV antenna. It worked!...
    By touching it to the antenna, I think you basically completed the equivalent of a "wired connection", from the perspective of the VCR out.

Let us know if you have success "over the air" (assuming that is still your objective).
    10-01-20 05:59 PM
    Oh, doing the ota is easy. Now that I’ve ascertained a true analog signal is being produced, all I have to do is hook up an antenna amplifier in reverse. The parts are easy to acquire off amazon or ebay. And presto, instant analog tv broadcasting!

It’s legal by FCC standards so long as the signal only extends a few dozen feet.
    johnb_xp likes this.
    10-02-20 12:19 AM
    It worked! I set up an antenna amplifier in reverse just now and broadcast an analog signal of a Fred Astaire film over to my B&W CRT TV. Nice little trip down nostalgia lane.
    johnb_xp likes this.
    10-07-20 09:55 PM
    Pictures or it didn't happen....
    It worked! I set up an antenna amplifier in reverse just now and broadcast an analog signal of a Fred Astaire film over to my B&W CRT TV. Nice little trip down nostalgia lane.
    10-07-20 10:08 PM
    Analog TV question-2ff2e895-4284-454d-a09e-63a88ef6ccc6.jpg

Sony Watchman FD-20a in foreground. Playing Victory at Sea. Ditto on the 5’ inch behind it. Behind them you can see the broadcasting antenna. The Sony is attached to nothing, and the portable only to a power cord.
    anon(10694483) and johnb_xp like this.
    10-07-20 11:39 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2FF2E895-4284-454D-A09E-63A88EF6CCC6.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	239.7 KB 
ID:	449730

Sony Watchman FD-20a in foreground. Playing Victory at Sea. Ditto on the 5’ inch behind it. Behind them you can see the broadcasting antenna. The Sony is attached to nothing, and the portable only to a power cord.
    There are reports of airplanes going missing in your neighborhood. Stop broadcasting on Channel 6, even the FM radio stations around 88 Mhz are complaining....
    10-11-20 09:12 PM
    I live right next to a military base., too! They fly overhead all the time.. Sometimes a U-2 spy plane as well(those are so quiet, you won’t know until they are literally right overhead). I’m sure they don’t mind WW2 propaganda films, but I’d be happy to throw in a few random Film noir movies into the mix.
    anon(10694483) likes this.
    10-11-20 09:20 PM