Student told to take U.S. flag off bike

Published: Nov. 11, 2010 at 6:49 PM

DENAIR, Calif., Nov. 11 (UPI) -- Officials in a California school district said a middle school student was told to take a U.S. flag off his bike to avoid "racial tension."

Denair Unified School District Superintendent Edward Parraz said Cody Alicea, 13, was told not to fly the U.S. flag from his bike while at Denair Middle School after complaints from other students, KCRA-TV, Sacramento, Calif., reported.

"(The) First Amendment is important," Parraz said. "We want the kids to respect it, understand it, and with that comes a responsibility."
    Parraz said racial tensions boiled over at the school this year around the Cinco de Mayo holiday.

"Our Hispanic, you know, kids will, you know, bring their Mexican flags and they'll display it, and then of course the kids would do the American flag situation, and it does cause kind of a racial tension which we don't really want," Parraz said. "We want them to appreciate the cultures."
    Alicea's parents said he flies the flag from his bike as a tribute to veterans in his family.

"He's got that flag on his bike because he's proud of where he comes from," Alicea's father, Robert Kisner, said.

Alicea folds up the flag and keeps it in his backpack while attend class, the TV station said.

Last edited by trucky; 11-12-10 at 11:45 AM.
    11-12-10 11:08 AM
    I personally also don't see how the first amendment really applies here. But then, I support a more literal view of the constitution which mostly wouldn't consider political activism as "protected speech" per se. I personally think there's more applicable policy arguements here, such as promotion of equality and patriotism.
    Plus, being a staunch patriot, I dislike the suggestion that America is anything to ever be ashamed of or apolohetic about. She's not perfect, but for the most part people try and we come d@mn close. And that's something to be proud of, something everyone here (legally or not) should be proud of.
    *steps off soap box*

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    During school hours the minor has to follow the rules of the school. And if they state that you cannot fly the flag during school hours. Then he is not allowed to. Bottom line. He is a minor, he has no first amendment rights when he is on their time. I know that, and respect that. But it mentioned flying the flag from the kids bike, to and from school. They have no right, nor place to read him the right act over flying or punishing him over it.

As far as "our God-Given Flag". I do hold that flag close to me. I've known SEVERAL of my good friends and family that have gone off to fight for our country. I fly a US flag EVERY day it's not raining, and i fly a POW/MIA Flag 24/7 365 days a year. Ken i'm sorry you and i disagree on that one. But in my eye that is a sacred piece of cloth.

11-12-10 02:10 PM
    Who the **** is this Parraz character? Seems he cannot even speak the American derivative of English.
    We have the same problem here in England with displaying pride in our nationality.
    We can celebrate the saints days of foreign countries like Scotland, Wales and Ireland whilst hiding our own for fear of offending people of other nations.

11-12-10 03:18 PM
    I was going to keep my peace on this, but naw....

This is total BS. you go without proper permission into certain countries of this planet and you get whipped, stoned, hung, shot, locked away and the key is thrown away or any number of things. But we allow people to come into this county illegally, go to our schools, absorb out health care, absorb our welfare system, get drivers licenses and we have to make sure that that are taken care of. and now we have to hide our God given flag because it makes them feel uncomfortable. Well guess what. If you don't like it... tough, we are Americans, we are proud to be Americans and we are proud to show you we are Americans. Don't get me wrong we do not walk on water nor are we perfect. But we are who we are and we should be allowed to show it. Our first amendment protects your rights to display what ever flag you want from your home nation, just as much as it protects our right to do the very same. The difference is 9/10 we are legally residing here in the States. Now granted i don't know if this kid is legal or not. But he is a minor @ a middle school the 1st Amendment doesn't apply to him.

man this just fires me up... someone tell me that my daughter cannot carry a flag to her school because it offends someone, I'll personally pay the school board a visit.
    11-12-10 04:14 PM
    Mike, "God given flag?" Just wow. There is love of country but that is just plain delusional. On which day did God create the US flag?

And for the LAST time, you cannot continue to (mis)use the First Amendment to defend every goddamn thing.
    11-12-10 05:27 PM
    Mike, "God given flag?" Just wow. There is love of country but that is just plain delusional. On which day did God create the US flag?

And for the LAST time, you cannot continue to (mis)use the First Amendment to defend every goddamn thing.
    AG, please tell me I'm reading too much into your post...do you really feel that it's ok for an American citizen on American soil to be told they can't fly the American flag? Because it might offend someone?

If the flag is going to offend you, don't come here. Please. And BTW, I'm changing my avatar to a flag...hope it offends someone.
    11-12-10 05:45 PM

Facepalm.

11-12-10 05:56 PM
    AG, please tell me I'm reading too much into your post...do you really feel that it's ok for an American citizen on American soil to be told they can't fly the American flag? Because it might offend someone?

If the flag is going to offend you, don't come here. Please. And BTW, I'm changing my avatar to a flag...hope it offends someone.
    John, you are and I apologize if it was not clear.

You will not find a more patriotic person than me and I have a deep respect
    for this nation and everything it stands for as well as the good it has done
    around the world since it's "birth"

My issue was simply with that "God given flag" comment. That to me is, well,
    just plain stupid. As was using the First Amendment which has nothing at all
    to do with this issue.
    11-12-10 06:01 PM
    I don't think he feels that way. I don't wanna put words in AG's mouth, but I think he's saying the flag isn't so sacred as to call it God-given.
    That being said, I agree 100% that that school is pathetic beyond words. If I went there, I would have come to school the next day decked out in flag stuff, and let them call the cops on me before I would leave. If that was my kid, I'd have a suit filed against the school district for discrimination and violation of civil rights before the day was over, and I wouldn't settle so that there would be a court mandate that schools couldn't do that.
    EDIT: Lol, looks like AG responded while I was typing out my post. Seems that I pretty much hit the nail on the head
    11-12-10 06:02 PM
    John, you are and I apologize if it was not clear.

You will not find a more patriotic person than me and I have a deep respect
    for this nation and everything it stands for as well as the good it has done
    around the world since it's "birth"

My issue was simply with that "God given flag" comment. That to me is, well,
    just plain stupid. As was using the First Amendment which has nothing at all
    to do with this issue.
    Glad to hear...thanks for clarifying. And I didn't think you felt that way, that's why I was hoping I was wrong. Glad to be wrong.
    11-12-10 06:04 PM
    But he is a minor @ a middle school the 1st Amendment doesn't apply to him.
    I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's not the case. The Constitution/Bill of Rights applies to every citizen of the United States, including minors.
    Nice Avatar John
    11-12-10 06:06 PM
    I don't think he feels that way. I don't wanna put words in AG's mouth, but I think he's saying the flag isn't so sacred as to call it God-given.
    Thank you my friend. I was inelegant in my comment but you, knowing me,
    got it completely right.

Glad to hear...thanks for clarifying. And I didn't think you felt that way, that's why I was hoping I was wrong. Glad to be wrong.
    Glad, we are clear on this. I was about to PM you about this I'd never want
    you or anyone else thinking I do not love and respect this nation.
    11-12-10 06:14 PM

If the first amendment isn't there to be used!!! Then why is it there!! How stupid!

11-12-10 06:22 PM

DENAIR, Calif., Nov. 11 (UPI) -- Officials in a California school district said a middle school student was told to take a U.S. flag off his bike to avoid "racial tension."

Denair Unified School District Superintendent Edward Parraz said Cody Alicea, 13, was told not to fly the U.S. flag from his bike while at Denair Middle School after complaints from other students, KCRA-TV, Sacramento, Calif., reported.

"(The) First Amendment is important," Parraz said. "We want the kids to respect it, understand it, and with that comes a responsibility."
    Parraz said racial tensions boiled over at the school this year around the Cinco de Mayo holiday.

"Our Hispanic, you know, kids will, you know, bring their Mexican flags and they'll display it, and then of course the kids would do the American flag situation, and it does cause kind of a racial tension which we don't really want," Parraz said. "We want them to appreciate the cultures."
    Alicea's parents said he flies the flag from his bike as a tribute to veterans in his family.

"He's got that flag on his bike because he's proud of where he comes from," Alicea's father, Robert Kisner, said.

Alicea folds up the flag and keeps it in his backpack while attend class, the TV station said.

I'm sick and tired of people whining because something that's been part of are past and what we are bothers them!! I'm nor into god or anything like that, but taking " in god we trust" off is BS....not able to fly a United States flag in the United states that's BS...people need to learn its not about you, its about everybody! If you don't like it, go back to your country or find a rock to live under!!!!

11-12-10 06:26 PM
    If the first amendment isn't there to be used!!! Then why is it there!! How stupid!

I personally also don't see how the first amendment really applies here. But then, I support a more literal view of the constitution which mostly wouldn't consider political activism as "protected speech" per se. I personally think there's more applicable policy arguements here, such as promotion of equality and patriotism.
    Plus, being a staunch patriot, I dislike the suggestion that America is anything to ever be ashamed of or apolohetic about. She's not perfect, but for the most part people try and we come d@mn close. And that's something to be proud of, something everyone here (legally or not) should be proud of.
    *steps off soap box*

11-12-10 06:57 PM
    Nice Avatar John
    Thank you!
    11-12-10 06:59 PM
    *steps off soap box*
    .:steps on to soap box:.

Add to that, the US has done more to assist the world in times of crisis than
    any other nation. We are the first to step up, we are the ones who do the most
    and we are the one who will defend freedom in every place it struggles to
    breath. WE are the beacon of the world.

If the US were as bad as many would like us to think seem explain to me why people
    are trying to get here (illegally if they have to) and so few are trying to leave.

That kid should fly that flag proudly and anyone offended needs to get a clue

.:returns soapbox to it's owner:.
    11-12-10 07:12 PM
    I usually try not to get into these types of discussions. Oh well. First, I think the kid should have the right to fly the flag if he's doing it properly and respectfully. Personally (and I'm not a lawyer), I think a First Amendment case could be made if this was at a public school, because the school would be acting as an agent of the government abridging the kid's right to free speech. However, there may be precedent for schools to have extra authority if they determine something to be provocative - like offensive writing or wearing gang paraphernalia. (I'm not equating either to flying the flag.)

The other thing I wanted to say was that although I love the visual of all the flags in the photo in the original post, some of those flags are touching the ground which is a big no-no. See: American Flag Etiquette | USA Flag Site
    11-12-10 08:12 PM
    I will add myself to the list of those who think the youngster should be able to fly the US flag. If there is a problem with racial tension they need to address the issue in a proactive way that will produce a long term Harmony, not avoid the issue by removing a simple display of patriotism in the country in which it is the origin of the patriotism.
    11-12-10 08:12 PM

I am not using the First Amendment to defend everything. This kid had the flag on his bike coming to and from school He was not disobeying the rules of the school. By displaying the flag in a open position during school hours. When he is off the clock, he is fair to do what ever he wanted to do. And if flying that flag his what he wanted to do then by all means let him do it.

11-12-10 09:02 PM
    *steps off soap box*

During school hours the minor has to follow the rules of the school. And if they state that you cannot fly the flag during school hours. Then he is not allowed to. Bottom line. He is a minor, he has no first amendment rights when he is on their time. I know that, and respect that. But it mentioned flying the flag from the kids bike, to and from school. They have no right, nor place to read him the right act over flying or punishing him over it.

As far as "our God-Given Flag". I do hold that flag close to me. I've known SEVERAL of my good friends and family that have gone off to fight for our country. I fly a US flag EVERY day it's not raining, and i fly a POW/MIA Flag 24/7 365 days a year. Ken i'm sorry you and i disagree on that one. But in my eye that is a sacred piece of cloth.

11-12-10 09:13 PM

I agree with AG on this on. I don't think God (if you believe there is one) takes side. Therefore all flags, regardless of country, is a man-given flag.
    11-12-10 10:11 PM
    That being said, I agree 100% that that school is pathetic beyond words. If I went there, I would have come to school the next day decked out in flag stuff, and let them call the cops on me before I would leave. If that was my kid, I'd have a suit filed against the school district for discrimination and violation of civil rights before the day was over, and I wouldn't settle so that there would be a court mandate that schools couldn't do that.
    EDIT: Lol, looks like AG responded while I was typing out my post. Seems that I pretty much hit the nail on the head
    I have a variety of flags including an american flag hanging from a string line in the balcony, I also don't believe in god because at age 17, I clued myself in as I never saw him in person, nor did he ever listen to anybody.

If he did exist, millions would be dead from those so called "sins".

11-13-10 05:48 AM
    Sacred? No one can ever say you are at a loss for hyperbole Mike.

Second, you do know you do not have a monopoly on patriotism, even if it is gained vicariously through the acts of others.
    11-13-10 08:01 AM

Here's my two cents for what its worth. First of all about 99.9 percent of schools display the American Flag, either in classrooms for outside in front of the school. Secondly, every last one of you are missing the bigger picture. That school has a serious problem and rather than avoid it, they need to attack it head on. There needs to a culture of respect for all built in that school. They, as does this country itself, need to start having real conversations about these issues so that when anyone is showing pride about who they are they can do so freely.

11-13-10 09:22 AM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD