05-29-11 11:24 AM
44 12
tools
    I browsed a few themes on the CB store and I really don't get why people change themes. The original does what it supposed to do, and do you really spend so much time staring at your home screen?

Edit: Title is supposed to say "Am I the only one who doesn't change themes?"
    04-09-11 08:53 AM
    I change themes once a week and its probably just because each one has different funtionality, and some have a better look.

Head down to the themes forum, and you will see some great contributions both free and paid.

Right nopw I'm using one called my Fave5.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-09-11 08:57 AM
    I change themes once a week and its probably just because each one has different funtionality, and some have a better look.

Head down to the themes forum, and you will see some great contributions both free and paid.

Right nopw I'm using one called my Fave5.

What kind of functions can you get with new themes?
    04-09-11 09:02 AM
    I don't do themes either...my Torch has yet to have one theme added to it....I think themes are stupid....but that's just my opinion
    04-09-11 09:16 AM
    I realize this poll is almost a year old, but still gives an indication of how split theme use is. There's not too many CrackBerry polls that are that close.

http://m.crackberry.com/how-do-you-u...e-or-not-theme

I'm a big fan of Foppa themes, and switch off between his different themes about once a week or so. I like using wallpapers, and his themes are really nice for showing them off (even if it's only being showed off to me). His themes add more icons to the homescreen too, it's rare that I ever need to even go into the main app screen.

I'm also one of those users that can't stand the stock OS 6 theme, way too cluttered and awkward to use IMO. Some people like though and there's nothing wrong with that. It's the great thing about BlackBerry phones, we can customize them to our own liking and personal needs. I do know that between my friends, family, and co-workers there aren't two BlackBerry phones that are alike, which is very different than the ones with iPhones.

04-09-11 09:32 AM
    Back when I had my 8330 I used to have a lot of themes on it.. I guess I got really tired of the stock look on 4.5 OS but now since I have my 9330 that I got back in Oct.. I don't use custom themes anymore I love the stock look for 5.0 OS its clean the icons are nice and big, its suits my needs very well.. I may have put 2 themes on my 9330 but took them off after a few hours and went right back to my beloved stock theme! I hate 6.0 OS and theme for various reason so that's why I stick with 5.0 OS and stock theme functionality!

Last edited by jlarkins08; 04-09-11 at 09:54 AM.
    04-09-11 09:51 AM
    I like themes with better function. My favourite which I can't think of the name, has the today calendar and messages both right on the home screen. It comes in very handy.

04-09-11 09:55 AM
    I personally like to have a quick overview of the current weather conditions, so since I was unable to find a theme on OS 6 for my Bold 9700 (and now 9780, works on all Bold 9xxx devices for that matter), I designed my own. It shows a weather slot on the home screen and the lock screen and it also has a ton of keyboard shortcuts from the home screen. Since I worked so hard on it for myself, I figured I might as well share it with the world for free, and so I've done. I also designed a simpler ver for the Torch without all the keyboard shortcuts and lock screen weather slot (the lock screen part took forever to figure out for the Bold).

Also those trays in BB 6 made it that much harder for me to find stuff, so not using them made my life that much easier via my theme :-D

Feel free to look it up, it's called "Simple Weather Slot". I've been told it makes the Torch experience that much smoother too, but since I don't have a Torch, I can't confirm that myself :-)
    04-09-11 09:58 AM
    I've tried some but the ones I tried seemed to slow my phone down and would either lose something I liked or would have things I didn't want. The worst part is slowing down the phone.
    04-09-11 10:15 AM
    Back when I had my 8330 I used to have a lot of themes on it.. I guess I got really tired of the stock look on 4.5 OS but now since I have my 9330 that I got back in Oct.. I don't use custom themes anymore I love the stock look for 5.0 OS its clean the icons are nice and big, its suits my needs very well.. I may have put 2 themes on my 9330 but took them off after a few hours and went right back to my beloved stock theme! I hate 6.0 OS and theme for various reason so that's why I stick with 5.0 OS and stock theme functionality!
    You do realize that ppl design OS 5 style themes in BB 6, right? ;-)

04-09-11 10:19 AM
    "Am I the only one who don't themes?"

You don't what?
    04-09-11 10:34 AM
    I've had a BB since October last year (Curve 3G first, now Torch) I've only ever downloaded one theme, last week, 'Six Dot X' simply because I like the default theme and I also like the new 6.1 icons, so this is perfect for me!
    04-09-11 11:00 AM
    I use themes, but instead of making things fancier, I usually like themes with the standard 6 icons on the home screen, and nothing else extra.
    04-09-11 11:48 AM
    I've had a BB since October last year (Curve 3G first, now Torch) I've only ever downloaded one theme, last week, 'Six Dot X' simply because I like the default theme and I also like the new 6.1 icons, so this is perfect for me!
    +1. For Six dot X. I also haven't been able to find a theme that I like better than the stock os 6 theme.(Untill now) The only thing I would change as far as functionality is the ability to include/exclude trays that are of no use. Personally I only make use of three of the five.

04-09-11 11:58 AM
    I don't like the themes that come with the phone and I especially hate the red notification star icons as well as the OS 5 and 6 standard icons
    04-09-11 12:01 PM
    Rockin the stock themes on my berries since ive owned one haha. Hate canging themes.
    04-09-11 02:07 PM
    I can't stand the stock Zen theme. I like to have more than six icons on the home screen. I also get sick of the same look all the time - like to change it up.

04-09-11 02:31 PM
    I'm not a fan of themes that just change the look, but there are several that add functionality beyond what RIM offers from their themes. The one I use has room for 7 icons on the dock plus one in the upper right corner. Many use that for weather, but I like having my GVoice there since it handles all of my VMail. If I scroll across the top, I can access many settings from their notification icon. Selecting the Signal icon will take me into Manage Connections, Clicking on the Profile indicator icon will give me Profile options. Scroll over to the clock and access all clock, alarm and timer functions. It has another dock with slots for Mail, SMS and Calendar that will give a preview of the new items there.

The phone feels incomplete without this theme. RIM has gotten closer in OS6 but still not as functional as some of the 3rd party themes.
    04-09-11 03:10 PM
    No themes just wallpapers for me. Themes just slow my phone down.

04-09-11 03:34 PM
    I personally changed to a custom theme on os6 is cuz I hated the frequent/media/favourites tab for the original theme. When I was using os5 I kept the stock one too. Its just personal pref... A 15k car gets you from a to b just fine, why do ppl still buy 60k cars?
    I'm not a fan of themes that just change the look, but there are several that add functionality beyond what RIM offers from their themes. The one I use has room for 7 icons on the dock plus one in the upper right corner. Many use that for weather, but I like having my GVoice there since it handles all of my VMail. If I scroll across the top, I can access many settings from their notification icon. Selecting the Signal icon will take me into Manage Connections, Clicking on the Profile indicator icon will give me Profile options. Scroll over to the clock and access all clock, alarm and timer functions. It has another dock with slots for Mail, SMS and Calendar that will give a preview of the new items there.

The phone feels incomplete without this theme. RIM has gotten closer in OS6 but still not as functional as some of the 3rd party themes.
    What's the theme called?

04-09-11 03:44 PM
    I browsed a few themes on the CB store and I really don't get why people change themes. The original does what it supposed to do, and do you really spend so much time staring at your home screen?

Edit: Title is supposed to say "Am I the only one who doesn't change themes?"
    Yes, you"re the only who doesn't use themes.
    You have not realized even half of the Blackberry's potential if you don't try out a different theme and see how personalized it makes your phone and how functional. The themes are much better than the default and make using your berry easier.
    nuangel2 likes this.
    04-09-11 03:51 PM
    +1 on six dot x, too.

I downloaded and installed maybe 30 themes earlier on and always went back to the original. Some lasted a day or two, some only 5 minutes. One hosed me up so bad I needed a wipe to recover. Most of the ones I've tried that are not 6.0 are just off-the-wall wacky. I don't want Android or iPhone-based themes; if I wanted something that looked like one of those, I'd go buy one of those phones. The 6.0 single home-screen themes (no tabs) usually lose some functionality that I miss too much. And most of the true 6.0 themes either looked goofy or had crappy colors buried in them that made menus unreadable.

Then I found six dot x ... simply everything I've wanted in a theme.
    04-09-11 03:52 PM
    I just simply like to change the look. Holidays, seasons, etc. I've got about a dozen.
    04-09-11 04:40 PM
    There's nothin wrong with a bit of vanity.

I wouldn't begrudge anybody for Pimpin their Ride simply to cater to their own pleasure/ego.
    04-09-11 04:46 PM
    No themes just wallpapers for me. Themes just slow my phone down.

Actualy there's a lot of themes that are very fast run. Then top that off by they are built to put what you use in reach which speed you up and make you more productive. For example the 6.0 tabs get moved around so easy that can keep you hunting for what you want. Most 6.0 themes remove the tabs and either put slots that you can chose what goes there or give you a hideable dock. Then a simple click of the menu takes you to your apps.
    Themes are really looking good these days and have a lot of function.

04-09-11 09:15 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD