View Poll Results: How big of a role does Health play in your life?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Extremely important

9 50.00%
  • Mildly important

6 33.33%
  • Not really important

0 0%
  • Not a concern of mine

3 16.67%
    Yes Spyderz;

I suffer from them as well (and my 9yo since he was 5). I take Topamax. Its a daily medication that is not symptom related. It has worked for me so far and has reduced my migraines significantly. When I do get them they are not severe and don't stop everything in my life. The down side is they make you lose your appetite and lose weight and if your one who can't afford that side effect that's not a good look! Not sure if its good for a Crohn's patient or if its okay with your other medication so ask your doctor about it.
    09-23-08 07:53 AM
    My wife gets migraines too. Hers are hormonal so she has a migraine once a month for 5 days straight. She usually takes 800mg of ibuprophen and a Starbucks at the first sign. Then if it gets worse, she will take a Relpax, it's a triptan (eletriptan). She delays taking the Relpax because she's only allowed to take two in a twenty-four hour period. Spyderz, the Relpax does work after the migrain starts, but they cost about $100 a pill. It's non-formulary, so insurance only pays 60%. She also has a great doc who gives her a script for percocet to use as a last resort.

I suggest if your doc won't allow you to have multiple med options, it's time for a new doc. Sure narcotics aren't a first line choice for migrains, but once in a while one has to have a"heavy gun" just in case. I know that if your migrain is bad enough to go to the ER, they use a narcotic to get it under control. She did try Topomax, it didn't work and she had the opposite problem -- she gained weight. I think she'd rather have a migraine than gain weight.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-23-08 12:56 PM
    I tried topomax but I ultimately stopped cuz I would still get migraines from time to time and for how many pills I take a day...I could use one less daily med.

I used to almost be a regular at one of our ER's here for how many severe migraines I'd get. Like exelant said, they'd give me morphine for the pain. Its odd they would do that in a hospital but don't prescribe narcotics for migraines. I'm totally fine as far as those go, I mean 15 perc's will last me at least a year. Cuz I try the large amount of excedrin first. Perc's and 'Tabs are my last resot so they last me a REALLY long time. Unlike a lot kids my age, I hate the feeling I get when I'm under the influence of narcotics lol

09-23-08 01:03 PM
    Same with my wife, Spy, her prescription for percocet was filled last January -- and she's only taken 2. That's the point about doctors. They'd know right away if someone wasn't a good candidate to have a narcotic if that patient called in too often for refills. People should be given multiple options for something as debilitating as a migraine.

The Relpax works great for her, but she is worried about the cost. We're lucky and can afford it. I always try to get her to use it, but she's stubborn and will put off taking it. Her migraines will go away when she's in her late fourties or early fifties, but she's only 38 so she has some time to wait.

This is an interesting thread. Sometime I'll describe my issue, aside from my diabetes, it'll make the guys cringe! The treatment for it is called a urethral dilation -- and yes, it is what it sounds like.

09-23-08 01:25 PM
    hmm spy i just realized you got a lot of mediical problems but i like how you take it all in strides. And btw the interval training is what will get your abs in tip top shape as well as ab exercises. And EXELANT OOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHH
    09-23-08 05:24 PM
    I never worried until bad health struck! I'm only 22 and in college and last year I collapsed and got rushed into emergency surgery. I have three aneurysms I never knew I had and one leaked. Sexyyyyyyy! I'm a 90 year old 22 year old!
    09-23-08 05:28 PM
    sorry to hear that man if it helps i have the vision of a 90 year old
    09-23-08 05:30 PM
    I never worried until bad health struck! I'm only 22 and in college and last year I collapsed and got rushed into emergency surgery. I have three aneurysms I never knew I had and one leaked. Sexyyyyyyy! I'm a 90 year old 22 year old!
    That's dead sexy! Just like my bathroom problem lol however, 90 year old 22 year old haha well I don't have the vision of a 90 year old, but I have the arthritis of a 90 year old! The weather man can lie to us everyday, but my knees and legs have predicted every snow storm that's come, 3 days in advance! Hahahaha

Ex...my heart and male form go out to you. I know when I get kidney stones...the second they threat for a catheter cuz I can't pee...I chug water by the gallons! Its an exit...not an entrance!

09-23-08 06:05 PM
    That's dead sexy! Just like my bathroom problem lol however, 90 year old 22 year old haha well I don't have the vision of a 90 year old, but I have the arthritis of a 90 year old! The weather man can lie to us everyday, but my knees and legs have predicted every snow storm that's come, 3 days in advance! Hahahaha

Ex...my heart and male form go out to you. I know when I get kidney stones...the second they threat for a catheter cuz I can't pee...I chug water by the gallons! Its an exit...not an entrance!

hahaha i like that about the weather... i have this like, 12 inch scar down my stomach that tightens whenever its about to rain or something... my boyfriend told me to tell people i got in a bar fight
    09-23-08 06:14 PM
    hmm spy i just realized you got a lot of mediical problems but i like how you take it all in strides. And btw the interval training is what will get your abs in tip top shape as well as ab exercises. And EXELANT OOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHH
    Yeah I'm not kidding when I say I have a laundry list. There's more I haven't mentioned, but I'll bring them up as they become relevant haha 80% of my friends have no idea I have em all, cuz luckily and thankfully (apart from being skinny from crohn's) none of mine are physically noticeable Interval training it is! I don't bother with arms or chest muscles cuz those never change no matter what do. Abs is where its at!!

And I would definitely go with the bar fight story, much cooler lol jk

09-23-08 06:22 PM
    Adrienne... Topamax did give me that dopy feeling too and I struggled the semester I was in when I first started taking it but once my body adjusted to it that feeling wore off. Its definately not for everyone but its the drug of choice for me.
    09-24-08 03:00 AM
    hey speaking of aching joints. I partially tore my acl. This sucks cause i became static for 4 months. Apparantly, eating junk food and not working out is bad for you. Went from 12% body fat to 28%. Eww im so mad at myself. So now im outta shape and getting back into shape and god it is hard but my knee doesnt cope well with all the jumping and the running. Plus i cant do squats without pain uggghhh frustration
    09-24-08 08:11 AM
    Wow, so many people with health issues. 2 years ago, at 38 weeks pregnant I collapsed, rushed to ER, they had to transport me to DC, diagnosed with Aortic Aneurysm. Month later chest pains for a week, CT scan and surgery 30 min after, have mechanical valve and 2 bypasses, had more aneurysms and surgeries since then, have a long scar too. Year ago I was diagnosed with Marfan syndrome that apparently I was born with it. Its a genetic(no one in my family has it) connective tissue disorder.
    10-04-08 10:49 PM
    Wow, so many people with health issues. 2 years ago, at 38 weeks pregnant I collapsed, rushed to ER, they had to transport me to DC, diagnosed with Aortic Aneurysm. Month later chest pains for a week, CT scan and surgery 30 min after, have mechanical valve and 2 bypasses, had more aneurysms and surgeries since then, have a long scar too. Year ago I was diagnosed with Marfan syndrome that apparently I was born with it. Its a genetic(no one in my family has it) connective tissue disorder.
    I know that was a scary ordeal! And you must be really tall right? Luckily these days Marfan's disease is a little more understood and although it involves multiple surgeries, people live longer with that disease. Unfortunately it is not discovered until adulthood and by a failure in one of the organs from a problem with the connective tissue. Usually the heart. Maybe research should be done to mandate screenings in children who are tall for their age.

Good luck with everything!
    Pink
    10-05-08 06:03 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD