Crackberrians make me laugh. When you drink vodka straight there is only a slight difference in the tastes of different vodkas, after all they are made the same way and from the same ingredients. When you start mixing decent vodkas, the taste difference is non existant. To sum it up, what is the fascination with drinking grey goose? Is it rap music?

Vinnie

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-04-09 12:47 AM
    Has nothing to do with rap. You need to develop a more discerning
    palette. If you think there is no difference between a cheap Vodka
    (Popov), a mid-range (Svedka) and a premium (Stolichnaya)
    and a super premium (Imperia) you need to drink less beer and
    expand your horizons.
    04-04-09 02:03 AM
    "vodkas" are made VERY differently, with VERY different ingredients. traditionally its taties(potatoes), but it is also made with almost any type of grain. thus the nickname "grain alcohol". they also differ in the distilling process; some are distilled once, yet others 5 or 6+ times. the price you pay is "usually" relative to the yield, purity, and number of times distilled. although some brands are endorsed by rap moguls, leading to the higher price.
    04-04-09 02:05 AM
    Oh boy, re-read the post. We're talking about smirnoff/absolute and up. And trust me, a discening palette has nothing to do with it, our taste buds are so insensitive.

04-04-09 02:09 AM
    "vodkas" are made VERY differently, with VERY different ingredients. traditionally its taties(potatoes), but it is also made with almost any type of grain. thus the nickname "grain alcohol". they also differ in the distilling process; some are distilled once, yet others 5 or 6+ times. the price you pay is "usually" relative to the yield, purity, and number of times distilled. although some brands are endorsed by rap moguls, leading to the higher price.

Ciroc - distilled from grapes
    Turi - distilled from rye
    Absolut - distilled from wheat
    Grey Goose - distilled from wheat, rye and barley
    Zyr - distilled from wheat and rye
    Armadale - distilled from wheat and barely
    Chopin - distilled from potatoes
    ...and so on.

With so many configurations, the taste distinctions follow.
    04-04-09 02:17 AM
    Add to that they do not all use the same ingredients as the OP stated

Ciroc - distilled from grapes
    Turi - distilled from rye
    Absolut - distilled from wheat
    Grey Goose - distilled from wheat, rye and barley
    Zyr - distilled from wheat and rye
    Armadale - distilled from wheat and barely
    Chopin - distilled from potatoes
    ...and so on.

With so many configurations, the taste distinctions follow.
    taste distinctions are soooooooo evident. its like night and day.
    04-04-09 02:19 AM
    taste distinctions are soooooooo evident. its like night and day.
    It truly is. You get what you pay for. Spend a little and you get bottled
    pot-liquor. Spend a few bucks more and it is sublime.
    04-04-09 02:25 AM
    Haha, let me get to my computer and I will post some different taste tests. You will be very surprised.

Vinnie

04-04-09 02:28 AM
    tell me about it. popov is almost impossible to get down your gullet, while if you want to shell out some bucks, you can sip vodka like wine.
    04-04-09 02:28 AM
    Haha, let me get to my computer and I will post some different taste tests. You will be very surprised.

Vinnie

even better, you could go to bevmo(im not sure if thats a national chain) and do some taste tests of your own it is friday night and all . well actually you'd have to do that tomorrow, its a little late.
    04-04-09 02:31 AM
    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/26/dining/26wine.html

blind tasting smirnoff won

World's Best Vodka? It's Anybody's Guess - BusinessWeek

Testers couldn't tell the difference

BBC NEWS | Europe | Stepping blind into the vodka war

Experts on vodka barely got the answer right...

Trust me guys and gals, its placebo....
    04-04-09 02:49 AM
    pass them around..
    04-04-09 02:57 AM
    Grey Goose is popular because of rap music. People didn't drink "goose" before rappers started talking about it. I think level, smirnoff, absolut, skyy, and ketel one are all smoother straight up.

Vinnie

04-04-09 03:08 AM
    I might be a lush ...lol
    i drink them all and I drank goose before the rap music made it infamous
    04-04-09 03:10 AM
    To all the douchenozzles,

Does Premium Vodka's Taste Live Up to Its Price Tag? - ABC News

04-04-09 03:45 AM
    The Fifty Best | The Wine Detective | Vodka

Haha, again, like I said crackberrians make me laugh. How many links have I posted to grey goose not doing well in blind studies? Well here's another one, goose finished 10th, behind a cheap vodka(smirnoff or absolut, too lazy to double check). Amazing, its all marketing and placebo.

Hope this helps.

04-04-09 04:13 AM

Haha, again, like I said crackberrians make me laugh. How many links have I posted to grey goose not doing well in blind studies? Well here's another one, goose finished 10th, behind a cheap vodka(smirnoff or absolut, too lazy to double check). Amazing, its all marketing and placebo.

Hope this helps.

I agree when people want goose they have just been successfully marketed. But I will say there is a lot of difference in vodkas taste. I keep mine in the freezer

04-04-09 05:02 AM
    Spleh!

I'll never forget the day I bought a jug-full of Beefeaters Vodka for .99

Never Again.

I learned my lesson quick, at least I still got trashed.
    04-04-09 09:28 AM
    Grey Goose is popular because of rap music. People didn't drink "goose" before rappers started talking about it. I think level, smirnoff, absolut, skyy, and ketel one are all smoother straight up.

Vinnie

I don't listen to rap and started drinking it before the Grey Goose frenzy.
    04-04-09 09:42 AM

Vinnie

funny I've had goose before I ever heard it in those rap songs. goose is very good to me...i find it better to just tip the goose back over any other vodka!
    04-04-09 10:03 AM
    Vinnie, this thread reminds me why I missed you while you were on your sabbatical. For the record, I don't drink vodka, but do like tequila and gin for my "clear" alcohols. I know that many studies show that after a few drinks, not many people can tell the difference between alcohols. So like I said in the drink thread, after a few drinks, switch me to the house brand.

04-04-09 08:55 PM
    This is a smart man

04-04-09 09:03 PM
    Vinnie, this thread reminds me why I missed you while you were on your sabbatical. For the record, I don't drink vodka, but do like tequila and gin for my "clear" alcohols. I know that many studies show that after a few drinks, not many people can tell the difference between alcohols. So like I said in the drink thread, after a few drinks, switch me to the house brand.

Very wise, i will try tonight!
    04-04-09 09:07 PM

Hope this helps.

Need to voice my opinion. I agree about Grey Goose, they have had a brilliant marketing campaign, and it is overprice vodka for what it is. However, I have tasted vodka's from around the world, and there is different blends that only someone with a mature palate can detect. If you were to mix with crap cranberry juice, I guess it wouldn't matter. But if you were to do a chilled martini, let me tell you the brand does matter.
    04-04-09 09:18 PM
    I also have to agree! When it comes to vodka's the tastes are waaaayyyyy different. I don't buy grey goose because its endorsed by rappers. I buy it because it is smooth. I have purchased cheaper (aristocrats) as well as others. Maybe if you are having a party and going through a lot of it maybe purchase cheaper vodkas rather than goose and 3olives. I don't normally partake into taste testing or do I follow it. I know what makes good mixed drinks and I stick to them. But have to say Vinnie you have brought a good topic in for debate!

04-05-09 11:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD