09-19-18 07:53 AM
8,133 ... 7778798081 ...
tools
    lets see a pic of that Pre3

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    My other favourite phone. They're not the greatest pics. I took them with the 9900!
    9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img-20160730-00021.jpg9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img-20160730-00019.jpg9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img-20160730-00014.jpg
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    07-31-16 12:09 AM
    My other favourite phone. They're not the greatest pics. I took them with the 9900!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20160730-00021.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	294.3 KB 
ID:	405214Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20160730-00019.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	285.7 KB 
ID:	405215Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20160730-00014.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	354.1 KB 
ID:	405216
    Wireless charging????? Man I had no idea that HP had anything to do with Palm.

07-31-16 01:53 AM
    Wireless charging????? Man I had no idea that HP had anything to do with Palm.

Palm had wireless charging back in 2009. They were really ahead of the pack in some respects.

HP bought Palm in 2010 and shut it down in 2011. I still won't buy anything from them.

There is a team of volunteers rebuilding webOS as an open source project called LuneOS. It's coming along, but not quite ready for daily use yet.
    07-31-16 07:34 AM
    Palm had wireless charging back in 2009. They were really ahead of the pack in some respects.

HP bought Palm in 2010 and shut it down in 2011. I still won't buy anything from them.

There is a team of volunteers rebuilding webOS as an open source project called LuneOS. It's coming along, but not quite ready for daily use yet.
    Hear a lot about the great WebOS and how there is a little of its dna everywhere in mobile tech.

Is it kind of like The Velvet Undergroud? Not many people were into them but everyone who was started a band, and so on down the line? Kind of thing?

Posted via CB10
    David Tyler likes this.
    07-31-16 12:56 PM
    Hear a lot about the great WebOS and how there is a little of its dna everywhere in mobile tech.

Is it kind of like The Velvet Undergroud? Not many people were into them but everyone who was started a band, and so on down the line? Kind of thing?

Posted via CB10
    Very true. Haven't thought about VU for a long time. My older sister was a big fan.

The problem with webOS at this point is (ironically) the browser. A lot of good apps still work, but the browser might be even worse than the OS7 browser, if you can imagine that. Community members have patched a lot of apps, updated SSL so that email still works, etc., but that browser is hard to live with. It's the thing most people mention when they decide to move on. dkirker is working on a new browser, but I don't know how much he'll be able to accomplish, given the age of the OS.
    Last edited by Shuswap; 07-31-16 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Fixing a typo
    07-31-16 02:50 PM

Sorry for the OT....but I don't understand why Lune Os cannot work on a Palm device...

Posted via CB10
    07-31-16 03:01 PM
    Sorry for the OT....but I don't understand why Lune Os cannot work on a Palm device...

Posted via CB10
    [Warning: Off Topic -- I presume we have a topic, right?]

It's built on top of android (you install a specific version of cyanogenmod, and then flash LuneOS over it), so you'd need different drivers than those that came with the Palm hardware. There is a port for the touchpad, because it has android drivers.

It's too bad you can't buy a special issue Priv with an unlocked bootloader, so you could flash roms on it. It would have been a nice Pre4. It'll never happen though.
    Last edited by Shuswap; 07-31-16 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Fixing an error re: the touchpad
    07-31-16 07:49 PM
    Sweet set up, but I'm not seeing the powercord

Hidden behind the desk.
    07-31-16 10:19 PM
    Going to be out of town tomorrow in the morning to a place that is only 10 miles from town and my iphone had no signal. I am wondering if the 9900 will have a better or less tower signal range than this and I will be comparing.

I wonder if some cell phones have a better range at picking up distant towers than others??? I think that we always assume it is the tower's doing and that all brands of devices are the same for range etc...

Or are they all the same?

Of course I am not talking about extended power booster antennas or anything like that, just stock cellular devices......

Thoughts?

07-31-16 10:28 PM
    I think there's a wide variance in devices. And even within the same devices depending on which software or the radio kit. On my Zed30 I was running a version of BB10 at one point last year (a custom autoloader with one version for the software and a different one for the antenna) that picked up a signal out in the sticks at a friend's place, on Fido, where no one got a signal except people on Bell. That was the best variation of BB10 on the best phone with the best antenna (Paratek) that I've ever experienced as a loyal Blackberrian. Still have and love that phone. Wish I'd stuck with that OS version and the Frankenradio attached to it too; it's never been better through two or three official updates now.

Have yet to put my Classic or 99 through such paces. But plenty of dark zones in my part of Ontario, so we shall see.

My two bits. Fwiw.

Posted via CB10
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    07-31-16 10:41 PM
    Hmm ya well I am with Rogers and if you are in the city or on major highways it is excellent. But my buddy is on Telus (which uses Sasktel lines here) and he still had 2 bars signal strength when mine was dead. He has the exact same model iphone 5C as mine.

07-31-16 11:16 PM
    Hmm ya well I am with Rogers and if you are in the city or on major highways it is excellent. But my buddy is on Telus (which uses Sasktel lines here) and he still had 2 bars signal strength when mine was dead. He has the exact same model iphone 5C as mine.

Same story in BC. Telus has much better rural coverage than Rogers.
    08-01-16 12:47 AM
    Same story in BC. Telus has much better rural coverage than Rogers.
    Yup, Rogers doesn't piggyback off others, they have their own towers, but they just need more of them. Thank God for Tower sharing they started a couple years ago. In my hometown I couldn't even do a Facebook "check-in" on Rogers, but now they share with whoever has the strongest signal (likely Sasktel) and there is no extra charge to "tower jump." Best thing they ever did for the convienience of their customers imo.

Ursus Rufus likes this.
    08-01-16 01:13 AM
    Going to be out of town tomorrow in the morning to a place that is only 10 miles from town and my iphone had no signal. I am wondering if the 9900 will have a better or less tower signal range than this and I will be comparing.

I wonder if some cell phones have a better range at picking up distant towers than others??? I think that we always assume it is the tower's doing and that all brands of devices are the same for range etc...

Of course I am not talking about extended power booster antennas or anything like that, just stock cellular devices......

Thoughts?

RALPH and friends:

Every device is different in terms of picking up signals. I can't recall how many times I have shared why I jumped to Blackberry after about faffing about with various models/makers over the years. They are NOT all created equal in terms of function.

I keep saying this: if there's any signal at all, a Blueberry will find it. The 4s I have IA with sprint and I'm riding it into the ground until it croaks. It's CDMA - it's useful for texts and emails IF it can get a signal. As a phone handset, two cans and a long piece of string offer better audio quality - even when there's 4 and 5 bars and it's a clear day.

Blackberry has the antenna that doesn't quit. It isn't a toy or a gaming device - it can be if people want to deal with apps that use up battery and devour storage - especially photos and videos! - but what BlackBerry does is get the job done!

I live about 1/4 of a mile from the Sprint tower - the 4s gets 4 to 5 bars. The nearest ATT tower is 5 miles away - lots of hills and dales and trees - many many trees and did I mention hills - as in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains - lots of signal interference. BlackBerry won every time while I had my unlocked 9900 on ATT - now the unlocked Passport is on ATT and believe me when I say it surpasses my darlin 9900 six ways to Sunday. Total workhorse.

It works harder with low signal but big deal - so I charge daily - again not a big deal. Call quaity from poor signal can't be beat!!!

Edited out a bunch of blah blah

Because Blackberry works as a phone, first and foremost, and ticks all the boxes as a communication device - serious workhorses, these devices...
    Hi Ho Silver
    : )

Posted via CB10
    08-01-16 02:20 PM
    Sorry for duplicate post - vocal firehouse/rescue squad might have jogged the signal when I first tried to post and a message said sory, no can do but in different words.

I don't know what the future is with Os10 and I don't think I will jump on any updates to this current OS which is 10.3.2.2386 because it's working great.

I love BlackBerry - warts and all, because it works!!!

Posted via CB10
    08-01-16 02:25 PM

Thoughts?

The 9900 picks up better signal not to mention the data speeds on 2G are much better than if they are on a new iPhone, i think there is something about blackberry's that allow you to keep network coverage for as long as possible even if they're old models. All phones are different, my iPhone 6 went crazy when i was traveling (our network coverage is still very patchy here) but the blackberry kept coverage throughout the journey on 2G, but the iPhone 6 didn't like being put in 2G and wouldn't load anything haha.

08-01-16 02:39 PM
    Good info and posts guys, thanks!

"Blueberry?" Was that a typo?

Well the news today is that my 9900 seems on par with the iphone 5C for the tower signal. I had nothing past a certain point on the country roads and it was about the same spot the iphone had issues, but as long as it wasn't worse than the Apple

One think I can say for certain in comparing WIFI signals in a large house is that the 5C wins hands down over the 9900 unfortunately. When playing TuneIn radio app and streaming music and in the basement, the 9900 struggles with the signal and cuts out pretty often.

08-01-16 03:03 PM
    Attached Thumbnails 9900:Resurgence of popularity!-tapaupload0.jpg  
    08-01-16 03:04 PM
    Beautiful, huh?
    08-01-16 04:50 PM
    Beautiful, huh?
    Beautiful but not so beautiful with no cell tower signal

Someone was asking about how good the camera is on the 9900 and I just uploaded a fresh vid of the new 2016 Challenger "Shaker" edition.

Notice how the camera pics up light really well because it is a cloudy day here but even with Image Stabalization turned ON, it can be a little shakey. It also could be that Youtube is "finalizing" the video and the skakiness will be removed.....

overall very sharp camera in 720p.......

08-01-16 06:45 PM
    BTW just curious, what does everyone use their right Convienience key for?

I'm assuming Camera....

08-01-16 08:41 PM
    BTW just curious, what does everyone use their right Convienience key for?

I'm assuming Camera....

I have mine disabled as almost everything I need is quickly found in the menu's.

I can see lots of uses for it but I have never had it set up.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-16 10:58 PM
    I have me set to my inbox....that said...I am a tech *****...and far from a mobile warrior type...but I use my BB Bold 9930 for everything but a cell phone...and I love it! Always have, always will...if it weren't for my corporate IT department shutting down the BES and my BB Bold...I'd still be using it. August 15 is the funeral, LOL.

So, I have a new Priv on order...oh well...some things must change. LOL.
    08-02-16 12:01 AM
    I have mine disabled as almost everything I need is quickly found in the menu's.

I can see lots of uses for it but I have never had it set up.

Posted via CB10
    Oh man, seriously? I can't live without mine, so many times I need a camera QUICK and it just makes it easy. You can load it without looking my way

08-02-16 12:15 AM
    I have me set to my inbox....that said...I am a tech *****...and far from a mobile warrior type...but I use my BB Bold 9930 for everything but a cell phone...and I love it! Always have, always will...if it weren't for my corporate IT department shutting down the BES and my BB Bold...I'd still be using it. August 15 is the funeral, LOL.

So, I have a new Priv on order...oh well...some things must change. LOL.
    Hmm, why not use it as a phone? Call quality is epic, never static, etc.

Tech Idiot likes this.
    08-02-16 12:17 AM
8,133 ... 7778798081 ...