Hmm, maybe depends on how to define secondary/primary but I find 99 makes a superb "primary" carry, defined as the one I talk, text email, bbm most on.
    You bet; that's the definition most everyone would use, I think. I also agree the 9900 is quite capable of being a superb "primary" device with that definition. If it wasn't -- and if it wasn't so darn elegant and fun to use!! -- I wouldn't consider it a usable "secondary" device!
    idssteve likes this.
    06-13-16 05:08 PM
    Exactly and also we cannot forget that the 9900 is as powerful as 2 9780's with a 1.2 GHz processor so I am happy having a thinner device than can still handle loads with ease. So that speed uses power also.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    9900's processor assisted quick startup times. I can drain my 99's battery to shutdown, swap battery, reboot and dial back the call in less than 3 minutes. AND it's restored to 100% charge! What I call my 3 minute rapid charge. Lol. NOthing else can match that, AFAIK.

BB chose small jm1 seeking thin & light weight but our 9900s' swappable battery configuration let's us use bigger, thicker, batteries if we want.

Anyone who thinks 9900 needs a bigger battery simply needs to get themselves a bigger battery! I frequently use a thick monster that reliably powers my 9900 for several DAYs! Then swap thru less than 3 minute boot and ready for another three days! It adds thick & weight so I choose to use it only as needed. There are smaller, less thick batts, also. Otherwise, spare jm1s are really compact in pocket.
    David Tyler likes this.
    06-13-16 06:01 PM
    I would agree with this! I did video tests showing the 9900 browser speed and to be honest, for certain apps or functions it is just as fast and can be faster than my iphone 5C. I still need to do a comparison video between these devices loading the same pages at the same time, should be interesting.

There really is something about the 9900, i wish blackberry would focus on OS7.1 again and try and get some native apps back to it and make a 9950 or something with updated specs. I'm really in love with the 9900 i bought an extended gold battery its about 2600mah, it hasn't been shipped yet but i can't wait to get it, i heard people saying its not a full 2600mah but it lasts much longer than the original battery so thats ok.

David Tyler likes this.
    06-13-16 06:41 PM
    I'll want to be hearing updates on how that battery beast is working!

I'm just shaking my head right now, someone in the General forum is wondering why anyone would use an OS7 since BB10 came out lols.

06-13-16 06:58 PM
    Lols, no BB10 and BBOS are not "basically the same thing." Meh, what's the point in responding to that pffffff

06-13-16 07:01 PM
    Lols, no BB10 and BBOS are not "basically the same thing." Meh, what's the point in responding to that pffffff

Oh my gaaaaaash who could write THAT with a straight face..??

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    06-13-16 07:15 PM
    Yup good point about the rubbery bezel on the outer back of the Black 99, the white one might be pretty slippery. I do like the texture of the battery door on the white one.

The only bad thing appearance wise with my 9780 is that the faux leather on the battery door turned yellow, someone told me it is because of the acetone in the vinyl/plastic? If I recall correctly.

It was similar on the Q10 and why I personally went with Black over White. The Black was more rubberized on the back and wasn't as slick. Although I liked the look of the white.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-16 07:17 PM
    is it just me or dose email looks way better than it dose on the bb10 the fonts,color. of the screen
    I really shouldn't be playing with this its going to make me want the classic.
    06-13-16 07:39 PM
    Oh my gaaaaaash who could write THAT with a straight face..??

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    I think he meant the 9900 being "the same thing" as a Classic. That would require a novel to reply to. It's basically been explained well enough in here already......Steve covered it nicely I believe.

06-13-16 07:43 PM
    I recently purchased a J-M1 battery from ebay, same size as the original with a power rating of 1500mAh. The original is rated at 1230mAh. The original battery for me averages about 6-8 hours of use. My new battery should arrive this Friday. I will test it out and report the overall performance in the near future.

Doug_M likes this.
    06-13-16 07:43 PM
    is it just me or dose email looks way better than it dose on the bb10 the fonts,color. of the screen
    I really shouldn't be playing with this its going to make me want the classic.
    Enjoy your Classic

06-13-16 07:44 PM
    I usenthe Seido extended battery which is awesome and carry an even beefier Bear which is like 3500MAH

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    idssteve likes this.
    06-13-16 07:45 PM
    I recently purchased a JDM battery from ebay, same size as the original with a power rating of 1500mAh. The original is rated at 1230mAh. The original battery for me averages about 6-8 hours of use. My new battery should arrive this Friday. I will test it out and report the overall performance in the near future.

JDM? Never heard of that one. I have a Chinese 1500 mah battery for my 9900 but unfortunately it sat too long and never held a charge for long after I got it used.

06-13-16 07:46 PM
    I just heard blackberry pulled Priv from AT&T, TMobile and Verizon in USA? Is this true?

06-13-16 07:46 PM
    JDM? Never heard of that one. I have a Chinese 1500 mah battery for my 9900 but unfortunately it sat too long and never held a charge for long after I got it used.

Typo...it is actually a J-M1 battery. I was checking out the same chinese battery you had but was not sure if it will provide a longer battery life. They also have a chinese gold rated battery that's 2300mAh. It is the same size as the original but has bad reviews from Amazon.

06-13-16 07:57 PM
    I usenthe Seido extended battery which is awesome and carry an even beefier Bear which is like 3500MAH

How long does the battery last?

06-13-16 08:01 PM
    I just heard blackberry pulled Priv from AT&T, TMobile and Verizon in USA? Is this true?

Ya I saw that on a tech site, I think in AppyGeek but I can't remember which cellular providers it was.

06-13-16 08:08 PM
    Each use case and each person's requirements are different, of course!

Procedures and functionality that might make you more productive won't necessarily make me productive and vice versa.
    Of course, that's a given. But one should always first decide if a task is even necessary before carrying it out in an optimal manner. In the example you give, sharing a photo from something like Dropbox...perhaps one should ask why photos are kept on a service like that and not on a photo-specific site like Flickr or some such where you could just share the link which even SMS can handle. Or even more basic, do you need to share a file with everyone via BBM _right now_?

You know, Blackberry is at fault for starting this whole thing in the first place, but one should think, just because I can take that call at 10pm, does it actually make my project finish any faster vs waiting till 10am tomorrow?
    If I share a picture of that fish I just caught out on the lake, does it make me any happier? Will my friends like me any better? Or perhaps they could wait to see that picture while having a round of brewski's with me at the pub tomorrow night instead. Maybe if I had shut down that phone for 30 min to just think and organize my thoughts, plan my next steps, I wouldn't be frantically trying to download that spreadsheet that I forgot to take with me on that business trip.

Once you pare down what you really ought to or need to do to a bare minimum, you might find a different device that is a better fit than what you use now. Make a list of who you think are the most successful people in the world. I'm willing to bet they all use the "smart" part of their smartphone much less than any of us.
    06-13-16 11:04 PM
    Typo...it is actually a J-M1 battery. I was checking out the same chinese battery you had but was not sure if it will provide a longer battery life. They also have a chinese gold rated battery that's 2300mAh. It is the same size as the original but has bad reviews from Amazon.

I got one on aliexpress, it was $8 with free shipping, it may take until the end of the month to receive but i think it will be worth it, even if it lasts 2-3 hours more than the original it's still a good choice, I think most of the bad reviews were because people didn't notice a difference in battery performance. So at worst it wont be any different but you'll have a second battery to use

06-14-16 03:44 AM
    Classic's size & weight and its embeded battery are my biggest complaints about it, compared with our compact, swappable battery, 9900s.

Classic's browser is a plus. I use Classic for security critical web activities like banking, for example. Some site are less friendly to Classic than on my Bold, these days, tho. Opera Mini on Bold sometimes provides smoother experience than Classic, IMO. Really love Classic's Miracast & Slimport capabilities. Classic's UI isn't quite as toolbelt friendly as bold but it's tolerable.

Best thing about Classic is I find it to be the most single handed friendly of BB10. Using two single handed friendly devices makes simultaneous use inviting. Its really nice to consult web, calendar, spreadsheets, etc or text other contacts on one device on one hand while talking or texting via a separate device in the other hand.
    Just out of curiosity, what's the complaint about embedded batteries these days? Energy sticks are so common and compact it's almost no different than carrying a spare battery. PLUS you don't have to be forced to restart the phone while you're swapping batteries.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-16 06:32 AM
    Pouch format "LiPo" are a real "Poly-variable" balancing act. I don't envy the guys attempting to profit in their production. True Lithium Polymer cells have yet to leave the laboratory, AFAIK. Our cell phone batts are really classic "liquid" electrolyte Lithium-Ion electrochemistry with polymer envelope & separator layers. That "liquid" electrolyte can vaporize and de-laminate the cell. Heat & overcharge are the enemies.

I'm generally open minded about possibilities for breakthrough technology. It's always possible someone, somewhere, has developed production techniques that consistently improve pouch "LiPo" energy density. The Holy Grail of batt tech, so to speak. Lol.

Last I heard, Japanese producers were the reigning masters of "LiPo" consistency. I suspect some of what we're seeing out of China might be experimentally crowding the cutting edge. Crowding the edge generally invites production inconsistencies, tho.

My experience with eBay 5000mAh batts is a good example. Out of half dozen purchased by myself & coworkers, we measured one to provide a legitimate 5000mAh. Another was virtually doa. The others pretty consistently provided about 3000mAh. Pretty poor odds but the fact that ONE of these batts truly performed as advertised means that the producer truly is zeroing in on batt tech Holy Grail. Lol. Give them enough time and enough mistakes and who knows where they'll be decades from now!

That said, the whole reason my company acquired in-house battery testing capability (NOT for cell phones! Lol) is because there are more ways to cheat a pouch "LiPo" mAh test than Chicago politicians have found ways for cheating ballot counts! Lol.

Overcharge SOC, temperature, ... Even barometric pressure! can be fudged around the edges to produce desired numbers. Increasing barometric pressure, for example, can reduce electrolyte vapors and provide more intimate laminate contact on pouch cells. Difficult to replicate, real world. Canned cells are more consistent in that regard, btw. Which, I've always heard, is why Tesla Motors favors them, AFAIK.

In short, when it comes to overrated Chinese batts, hope for the best but know you're hoping. I got ONE real horse of a 5000mAh batt, out of half dozen, and it's well marked and coworkers KNOW it's mine! Lol.
    06-14-16 07:29 AM
    Just out of curiosity, what's the complaint about embedded batteries these days? Energy sticks are so common and compact it's almost no different than carrying a spare battery. PLUS you don't have to be forced to restart the phone while you're swapping batteries.

Posted via CB10
    My biggest complaint about external battery packs is that they inevitably add wires OR length to an already too Cumbersome Classic, for example. I can swap in a spare jm1 into 99 and be back to 100% charge in under 3 minutes while retaining its superbly comfortable OEM form factor. Haven't yet seen any external pack that can get Classic back to 100% and OEM dimensions anywhere near 3 minutes. All ears, tho...???

That VERY compact jm1 can add 8hrs of use to 99. An external batt pack adequately sized to provide another 8hrs of use on my Classic was almost as large as a 9900 itself! Leaving that batt pack in my pocket meant wire to my Classic. How truly modern is a WIRED "wireless" device? Lol.

The added thickness of internal extended batts, when used, on 9900 is less obtrusive and even advantageous for added grasp. Not so with anything I've found sticking into the bottom of Classic.

My other complaint with embedded batteries is they must be sized for worst case. Which means your hand is holding and working with weight & bulk you probably don't need for most "normal" days. Much of Classic's heft is from its battery.

The beauty of swappable batteries is that we can fit a battery sized more appropriately for expected use for a given day.

Another complaint is restoring a drained to shutdown device. I can swap a batt into my drained to shutdown 9900 and call a frantic client back in under 3 minutes. Never found an external pack that could get my drained to shutdown Classic back in anywhere near 3 minutes. No matter how large the pack was. Unless someone's found something I'm not yet aware of?

External packs do provide uninterrupted power during a call, which is why I do frequently carry a small one. BUT, reliably predicting how much endurance an external will provide is another headache, IMO.

The external pack I was carrying for my Classic was almost as large as my 9900! I asked myself, why not just carry a spare 9900? Here I am.
    Last edited by idssteve; 06-14-16 at 08:34 AM.
    dierre likes this.
    06-14-16 08:15 AM
    oh! the speaker comes on. just remember when answering a call the speaker comes on. any answer that, problem
    06-14-16 09:15 AM
    oh! the speaker comes on. just remember when answering a call the speaker comes on. any answer that, problem
    I'm pretty sure there is a setting for that

06-14-16 12:17 PM
    My biggest complaint about external battery packs is that they inevitably add wires OR length to an already too Cumbersome Classic, for example. I can swap in a spare jm1 into 99 and be back to 100% charge in under 3 minutes while retaining its superbly comfortable OEM form factor. Haven't yet seen any external pack that can get Classic back to 100% and OEM dimensions anywhere near 3 minutes. All ears, tho...???

That VERY compact jm1 can add 8hrs of use to 99. An external batt pack adequately sized to provide another 8hrs of use on my Classic was almost as large as a 9900 itself! Leaving that batt pack in my pocket meant wire to my Classic. How truly modern is a WIRED "wireless" device? Lol.

The added thickness of internal extended batts, when used, on 9900 is less obtrusive and even advantageous for added grasp. Not so with anything I've found sticking into the bottom of Classic.

My other complaint with embedded batteries is they must be sized for worst case. Which means your hand is holding and working with weight & bulk you probably don't need for most "normal" days. Much of Classic's heft is from its battery.

The beauty of swappable batteries is that we can fit a battery sized more appropriately for expected use for a given day.

Another complaint is restoring a drained to shutdown device. I can swap a batt into my drained to shutdown 9900 and call a frantic client back in under 3 minutes. Never found an external pack that could get my drained to shutdown Classic back in anywhere near 3 minutes. No matter how large the pack was. Unless someone's found something I'm not yet aware of?

External packs do provide uninterrupted power during a call, which is why I do frequently carry a small one. BUT, reliably predicting how much endurance an external will provide is another headache, IMO.

The external pack I was carrying for my Classic was almost as large as my 9900! I asked myself, why not just carry a spare 9900? Here I am.
    My iphone buddy was teasing me yesterday trying to explain that he can attatch an external battery pack and about why I would want to change batteries on the fly, they just don't get it man.

06-14-16 12:19 PM
8,754 ... 4546474849 ...