Hmmm. I never considered that. For that reason alone, the K2 LE would be a better choice for me.

If they make a successor model, without the capacitive buttons under the screen and with the new Android Pie gesture controls, I'd probably buy one. It would be so close to a Q10 / Palm Pixi that it would probably be bearable.
    My smart guys killed the capacitive KB on both K1 & K2 for me... Not sure if it was a simple setting? Or a deeper "hack"?? No "flick type", etc wo it, tho. Pathetically poor substitute for trackpad anyway, imo. Missing the way the capacitive keyboard lights up in the darkness when it senses a thumb, tho.
    10-18-18 10:41 AM
    Perhaps someone crafty could modify the back door with some creative fiberglass skills? That would make the phone harder to carry but in the future if people are still using the 99, beggars can't be choosers! I envision the modified back door to look like the hood of a muscle car or something
    Haha... Hood scoops & cowl induction might look pretty tough on 99!! Lol.

I find protrusions on the back actually improve typing proficiency on 9900. PolyCarb or ABS are pretty easy to work with but vacuum infusion fiberglass (like oem cover) is hard to beat for durability AND for heat rejection! "Woven" Fiberglass sheet can conduct heat way better than the polycarb or ABS. Possibly one motive for oem use?

My smart guys have fabbed up batteries by simply replacing the cell and retaining whatever controllers are in the pack. A good reason to not toss your old packs.

9900's external charge contacts provide a great way to add external battery endurance without power interrupting battery swaps. The phone can behave quite strangely without an internal battery of some sort, tho. One strategy my guys toyed with involved sacrificing on-board battery capacity in favor of long term durability. From visual memory, I recall that they used about 1/2 dozen 75400 (7.5x40 mm) canned cells paralleled into an old extended batt pack. Total capacity probably was only about 1000mAh but it was durable and multiple day endurance was provided by the nicely fitted external pack. Internal pack simply provided "ride thru" capacity.

They even tried a super-cap of some sort for that once... Not sure where that wound up. Lol

Edit: words of caution. We don't fly with, nor air-ship, modified batteries...
    Last edited by idssteve; 10-18-18 at 11:48 AM.
    10-18-18 11:23 AM
    They even tried a super-cap of some sort for that once... Not sure where that wound up. Lol
    You need to get your guys on the forums! They would be heroes with their wealth of knowledge.

If you happen to come across any of the mad scientist experiments, snap a pic or two so we can daydream productively.

D
    10-18-18 11:37 AM
    Looks like a nice little tablet. I thought about getting one of those instead of a new phone (it would have been just as good in many ways, and better in terms of screen real estate), but in the end the vanilla android and regular updates on the Xiaomi Mi A series got me. I wanted something as close to the old Nexus phones as possible, so that the bootloader can be unlocked and the phone can be rooted easily. There are a few apps that I like (including AFWall+ for firewall and GMD Gesture Control) that require root, and when it gets old, it will be fun to install custom ROMs on.

As for dashcams, I really need one. My friend was in an accident earlier this year and the dashcam footage made it clear that he wasn't at fault. I'll have a look that RSC nano cam. Sounds like it might be good.

It must be kind of interesting to watch what goes on at night in the parkade. If I did that, I'm sure it would be all raccoons, deer and bears.
    The beauty about bit defender and netguard is that Netguard is a VPN that does not require root, it works beautifully without it, and it can be customized.

Yeah there is an epidemic now in a couple of provinces where people are throwing themselves on your hood of the car and claiming you hit them and all you’ll have to do is point your dash cam and they’ll run away, like literally. I wouldn’t be without one now.

I fully recommend the RSC nano it’s available at Staples for $99 it goes on sale sometimes and it has built-in Wi-Fi. Not many Dash cams for that price have Wi-Fi. So you basically use your phone to Emmett and line it up and you can download the videos right to your phone without having to take the memory card out every time. It uses a Sony CMOS sensor.

I have quite a video collection of all the people that were in our Parkade trying doorhandles and stuff and they walk right in front of my car, I save them to private videos on YouTube I can send you a couple if you want to see, message me and I’ll email them to you LOL it’s pretty funny. Technically no crime was committed the police told me because they didn’t actually break any windows, not this month anyway. Basically the criminals are making one final push before winter comes to see what goodies they can get. The biggest thing is never leave anything in your vehicle because a girl that parks 2 over from me had her laptop stolen from her backseat, not a wise move to leave something like that in a vehicle!!
    10-18-18 06:59 PM
    Looks like a nice little tablet. I thought about getting one of those instead of a new phone (it would have been just as good in many ways, and better in terms of screen real estate), but in the end the vanilla android and regular updates on the Xiaomi Mi A series got me. I wanted something as close to the old Nexus phones as possible, so that the bootloader can be unlocked and the phone can be rooted easily. There are a few apps that I like (including AFWall+ for firewall and GMD Gesture Control) that require root, and when it gets old, it will be fun to install custom ROMs on.

As for dashcams, I really need one. My friend was in an accident earlier this year and the dashcam footage made it clear that he wasn't at fault. I'll have a look that RSC nano cam. Sounds like it might be good.

It must be kind of interesting to watch what goes on at night in the parkade. If I did that, I'm sure it would be all raccoons, deer and bears.
    And by the way, if my dash cam was any bigger they would’ve seen it so I mounted it right behind the rearview mirror and no one really notices it.

anon(10512033) likes this.
    10-18-18 07:06 PM
    I've been watching the news about the new Verizon Palm phone. Seems intriguing and I hope it succeeds (hands-on Verge review looks cool)...but, for me, what's the point? I use a Q10 currently, I already have a small phone with little social media distraction. If I'm not using a Q10, I'm using my 9900, which is even smaller! If I'm gung ho, I've got a Palm Pixi ready to take over. If I'm really insane, I could try to find a battery and charger for my Veer, connect everything up, and see if the thing even works. Can't get much smaller than a Veer.
    10-20-18 02:35 AM
    I've been watching the news about the new Verizon Palm phone. Seems intriguing and I hope it succeeds (hands-on Verge review looks cool)...but, for me, what's the point? I use a Q10 currently, I already have a small phone with little social media distraction. If I'm not using a Q10, I'm using my 9900, which is even smaller! If I'm gung ho, I've got a Palm Pixi ready to take over. If I'm really insane, I could try to find a battery and charger for my Veer, connect everything up, and see if the thing even works. Can't get much smaller than a Veer.
    Agreed. If you want a Palm-styled Android, there are better ways to go than an expensive, non-standalone device.

https://pivotce.com/2016/09/04/guest...os-in-android/

http://darkstar.x10host.com/blog/ent...n_Android.html
    Last edited by Shuswap; 10-20-18 at 11:48 AM.
    10-20-18 11:30 AM
    If you want installable home screen launchers for NewsZ (a Google News web app), Dabr (a Twitter web app), or Gmail, have a look at the *New Browser Launchers* section at The Bold Explorer - Bold 99xx Working and Dead Apps List
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    10-20-18 12:39 PM
    I think the idea of the new palm supplementary phone is sort of like the Apple Watch you don’t really need it but there it is
    10-20-18 06:04 PM
    I think the idea of the new palm supplementary phone is sort of like the Apple Watch you don’t really need it but there it is
    lol yep that's about it exactly, Ralph!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-21-18 01:48 AM
    I find protrusions on the back actually improve typing proficiency on 9900. PolyCarb or ABS are pretty easy to work with but vacuum infusion fiberglass (like oem cover) is hard to beat for durability AND for heat rejection! "Woven" Fiberglass sheet can conduct heat way better than the polycarb or ABS. Possibly one motive for oem use?
    Even simpler, using the aftermarket doors from extended battery kits and gutting the electronics of the stock JM-1 to allow more freedom for a retrofitted battery? idssteve, have your guys tried that yet? You'd be able to fit a pretty decent size battery i think... Another reason not to throw out any phone parts, 'just in case'...
    10-22-18 09:08 AM
    Even simpler, using the aftermarket doors from extended battery kits and gutting the electronics of the stock JM-1 to allow more freedom for a retrofitted battery? idssteve, have your guys tried that yet? You'd be able to fit a pretty decent size battery i think... Another reason not to throw out any phone parts, 'just in case'...
    Yep, we've kept Maxwell House coffee cans on the breakroom table just for dead & dying JM1s. Quite a few of those cans stashed away. Lol. Several of us use the extended battery covers even along with oem JM1s. Just for the improved typing proficiency afforded by the improved grasp of added thick. Nearly all of the extended covers are made of either abs or PC and their tabs tend to break off, eventually. Oem fiber is toughest, by far.

Obviously an 18650 canned cell isn't going to fit under any extended cover I'm aware of. My guys claim the extended batteries seem to utilize apparently identical battery management ICs as oem JM1s. Envelope cells enjoy far superior energy density than any canned cell config that'll fit under the extended cover. And ones that fit are pretty available. To stuff as much as possible under the hood, we've stacked & paralleled 2, 3 & sometimes 4 JM1 cells into a monster pack that fits under some of the extended covers. With varying success. Biggest headache with parallel LiOns is keeping them equalized. Oem bmc seems somewhat poor at that. Better handled in custom built dedicated spare battery chargers. But then long term durability isn't such an issue so long as replacement cells remain available. We see that availability as only improving as popular demand for replacement solutions grows. Imo.

I should iterate that our experience with LiOn derives from activities far removed from cell phones, tho... Fwiw.
    10-22-18 01:35 PM
    Well, with a little help from Stack Exchange, I managed to figure out how to write that second Greasemonkey script.

So here's another Greasemonkey script for those who would like to keep the android posts out of the "Today's Posts", "New Posts", and search results. Edit: the script now also filters Android posts out of "Popular This Week" and "Hot This Week." It does not filter threads that are of general interest, like "Ask a Question," "Marketplace," and the like, so you will still see the odd Android-related thread in your feeds. In any case, it's a lot easier for me to find what I'm looking for with the feeds limited for the most part to BBOS and BB10-related subjects.

https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/37...e-android/code

And here's a new link to the previous script, which removes Android-related forums from the Index page:

https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/37...ess-crackberry
    Last edited by Shuswap; 10-27-18 at 01:58 PM.
    10-23-18 07:41 PM
    One of the members over at webOS Nation received this message today:

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-outlookendoftls1.png

It's not the end yet, but the end is looming as far as email capability goes. It's to be expected at this late date.
    10-25-18 11:46 PM

It's not the end yet, but the end is looming as far as email capability goes. It's to be expected at this late date.
    So is that likely to affect the collection of MS Exchange mail using the BIS email client?
    How about BB10 Email? I would be sorry to see the 9900 become further incapacitated, but I do spend more time now using my Q10 for work Emails.
    10-26-18 08:44 AM
    So is that likely to affect the collection of MS Exchange mail using the BIS email client?
    How about BB10 Email? I would be sorry to see the 9900 become further incapacitated, but I do spend more time now using my Q10 for work Emails.
    Well, this will be the least expert, most speculative response ever, but I'll give it a shot. Correct me if you know the actual answer.

That first question is difficult to answer.

MS said that they'd keep the old standards available, but would not provide support or fixes for connecting devices, and that they will provide additional notice prior to shutting down TLS 1.0 and 1.1 completely.

Since a server stands between you and MS when you use a BIS-enabled device, it may be that the device-level security doesn't matter (as much). I suspect that the BIS server that connects to the MS account probably does support higher levels of encryption, will gather your mail, and then transmit it to you using the lower-level (and possibly proprietary) protocols that the 9900 is capable of supporting. If that's the case, then MS could shut down TLS 1.0 and 1.1 and it wouldn't necessarily impact your BIS email service, although in a situation where the old forms of TLS were compromised, you might have a weakened security link in the BIS-server-to-device transmission if it depends on those compromised forms of TLS. But that's just speculation. Also, the last point is kind of moot, since we should all expect that the 9900 is an insecure device already.

As for LogicMail (which you didn't ask about, but a few of us use or have used in the past), I'm sure MS never provided any assistance.

That being said, the first time a serious new vulnerability hits TLS 1.0-1.1, MS will probably just give notice and turn it off. That will definitely be the end for LogicMail. It depends on the 9900's onboard TLS, which the developer cannot fix (and that is the one thing I have straight from the horse's mouth!).

Your Q10 should be fine. From what I've read, BlackBerry 10 supports TLS 1.2.
    10-26-18 10:14 AM
    Well, this will be the least expert, most speculative response ever, but I'll give it a shot. Correct me if you know the actual answer.
    --
    Thanks for your speculative reply, I appreciate the detail – certainly more 'expert' than I could manage
    I did figure that impact on LogicMail might be more significant, but I don't use that and do not fully appreciate how it works.
    I am banking on the Q10 working until I can find something better; the current range of Black(droid)Berrys are just not doing it for me!
    10-26-18 11:09 AM
    ...the current range of Black(droid)Berrys are just not doing it for me!
    If they would make something a bit smaller, I could live with Android, especially given the new gesture-based interface. Maybe if they removed the capacitive button row (back, home, recents) and added a notch so that the camera was integrated into the notification bar, they could eliminate some of the device height. At present, the devices look really awkward and top heavy.
    10-26-18 12:43 PM
    If they would make something a bit smaller, I could live with Android, especially given the new gesture-based interface. Maybe if they removed the capacitive button row (back, home, recents) and added a notch so that the camera was integrated into the notification bar, they could eliminate some of the device height. At present, the devices look really awkward and top heavy.
    That was my experience. I had the KEYone for several months and as much as I wanted to love it, the thing was just too big for my pockets. Additionally, I didn't find the typing experience very productive, possibly down to the smallish, domed, glossy keys, perhaps the device weight and balance didn't suit me.
    I haven't tried a Key2 or LE, they may provide a totally different experience.
    10-27-18 03:19 AM
    I find K2 an improved typing experience over K1. No Bold but... Can visualize eventually achieving maybe 40% of Bold's type rate? ?? With practice?? Practice that may never materialize if never activated on VZW. Lol. Haven't tried an SE, yet.

A year into K1 and 30% of Bold is generous. Imo. Despite extraordinary effort, my fingers have not grown significantly longer over these past 13 months. Lol. Too big is simply too big. No matter how much cinema I watch, it seems. Lol.

Size seems to benefit slab typing. To a point, at least. I'd gone all-in to master Z10, before killing it with a coffee bath. Lol. Faster on larger Z30. Fastest on huge D60. Pretty abysmal on Playbook so... There is a limit, somewhere, but...

Size seems counterproductive to PKB type rate, for me. Fastest on my 9650. Slightly slower on slightly larger 9900. Slightly slower yet on slightly larger yet Q10. Drastically slower on bigger Classic. Slower yet on wider Passport. Abysmally slowest on huge K1. Slightly improved again on slightly smaller K2.

The trend is self evident, imo. K1 seems to have transgressed a size threshold where my D60 slab is slightly faster than pkb K1. Imo. Begging the challenge... Why even bother with PKB on such huge "hand"sets??? Lol.

I still despise typing on glass. Too much like "herding cats in the dark", imo. Never know what I'm going to trip over next. Lol. Frustration with glass typing makes me noticeably "grumpy" after a few hrs. A few days seems like it might even alter my mood into an obsessively assertive "tunnel focus" attitude that I really don't like. A "glassitude" I might have noted in others, also. If that makes sense. A few minutes with good old Bold then seems therapeutically relaxing ... !! Maybe SOME personality types shouldn't type on glass? Including me?? Lol.

Frustrating as I find grotesquely oversized K1 to type & operate, it still provides enough "predictability" so that tactile feedback alerts muscle memory of potential errors before I look. Predictability that moderates frustration. No such tactile feedback on glass.

Typing rate aside, for UI operation, toolbelt with trackpad nicely tames oversized Classic's dimensional excesses. Especially for selection/editing and for simply reaching commands inevitably (and stupidly imo) located along the top of a too tall display! K1's PKB shortcuts greatly assist single handed UI. Almost seems like maybe someone might have actually talked with a PKB user somewhere? Lol. Toolbelt could make giant K1-2 SOoo much more productive! Imo. There's space for toolbelt. K1 works surprisingly well with usb and BT desktop mouse. Why not a trackpad? ??

The belt clip on a seidio clip holster assists single hand grasp of K1. Here's how I (mostly) single hand K1... :
    Attached Thumbnails 9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_20180328_021807.jpg  
    RaybanRJ and mushroom_daddy like this.
    10-28-18 07:09 AM
    I've been thinking of alternative battery choices for the 9900. The Mad Scientist in me is experimenting with something. Stay tuned. Once the materials come in, I'll see what I can do with keeping the love for the 9900 alive...
    10-31-18 08:00 AM
    I've been thinking of alternative battery choices for the 9900. The Mad Scientist in me is experimenting with something. Stay tuned. Once the materials come in, I'll see what I can do with keeping the love for the 9900 alive...
    I’m making sure I keep my 3 BB brand factory batteries maintained. I drain(almost) and charge them at least once a month when not in use.
    10-31-18 11:44 AM
    I’m making sure I keep my 3 BB brand factory batteries maintained. I drain(almost) and charge them at least once a month when not in use.
    I have over 10 at the moment so I'm working on a system to help preserve these batteries as long as possible. We 9900 users are a funny bunch! Sometimes stubborn! In a good way..
    RaybanRJ and idssteve like this.
    10-31-18 12:19 PM
    The biggest thing is never leave anything in your vehicle because a girl that parks 2 over from me had her laptop stolen from her backseat, not a wise move to leave something like that in a vehicle!!
    Haha... I know a couple "mad scientist" types who've been rumored to leave charged capacitors here & there... lol. True or no, everyone in my office treats the "DANGER HIGH VOLTAGE" placards on these fellows' desks as legitimate warnings. Lol.

I've warned them about potential heart stoppage and they've reportedly refined their "design" but insufficiently tested, imo. Lol.

Might such placards, legit or no, lend criminals pause? Hehe...
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    11-03-18 11:11 AM
    Might such placards, legit or no, lend criminals pause? Hehe...
    Doubtful, we live in a society where criminals could sue for damages. Even if they decided to unlawfully investigate and remove property that didn't belong to them.
    11-08-18 06:42 AM
8,754 ... 326327328329330 ...