Just curious, but have any of you guys been brave enough to try downloading the Amazon Marketplace App Store on your android devices? I read there might be some security issues.
    09-14-18 09:11 PM
    Typing on a Blackberry 9900 on 2018 be like.....

Haha... sounds almost like my thumbnails on k1... lol. Only while frustrated tho... which happens pretty often while putting life on "hold" to occupy BOTH hands for simple communications. !! Lol.

Hard to beat a good old IBM model M "clacker" for precision, speed AND telegraphing to coworkers in neighboring cubicles of "do not disturb, work in progress" ... lol.

I've plugged in various mice & KB to my Ks usb with varying success. Mostly good. If occupying both hands for typing, just as well double the type rate and get back to "life" ASAP. Lol.
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    09-15-18 09:24 AM
    Well, yeah, come to think of it. Also, good old BeWeather (the free one) is acting up.
    Spotify works still on 9900. But you need to have Sportify Premium. But not Family plan. Only individual.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-17-18 07:28 AM
    Haha... sounds almost like my thumbnails on k1... lol. Only while frustrated tho... which happens pretty often while putting life on "hold" to occupy BOTH hands for simple communications. !! Lol.

Hard to beat a good old IBM model M "clacker" for precision, speed AND telegraphing to coworkers in neighboring cubicles of "do not disturb, work in progress" ... lol.

I've plugged in various mice & KB to my Ks usb with varying success. Mostly good. If occupying both hands for typing, just as well double the type rate and get back to "life" ASAP. Lol.
    There is always this one, it even features Blackberry security

[Punkt MP02 is a 4G Android phone for calls and not much else] http://va.newsrepublic.net/s/TYdcQx
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    09-19-18 03:04 AM
    There is always this one, it even features Blackberry security

[Punkt MP02 is a 4G Android phone for calls and not much else] Punkt MP02 is a 4G Android phone for calls and not much else
    Good idea but way too expensive!
    You might as well buy a cheap smartphone and use it as a hotspot?
    The Nokia 8110 4G should be a more affordable option
    Last edited by mushroom_daddy; 09-19-18 at 07:08 AM.
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    09-19-18 03:41 AM
    Good idea but way too expensive!
    You might as well by a cheap smartphone and use it as a hotspot?
    The Nokia 8110 4G should be a more affordable option
    I actually thought at first that phone was a joke, the name of it and the screen size, it makes a 9900 look like an iphone 10!!
    09-19-18 03:45 AM
    Haha... See how librarians respond to VOICE communications! Lol. They're getting "part" of the concept but... Seems like a dominant trend these days to "compromise thru exclusion" by tossing features? Much like BB has done since 9900... Imo.

Our 9900's afford perfect examples of how to "compromise thru inclusion" by including features! With 99 we get useful compactness along with the most marvelous qwerty pkb EVER. Which means we can maintain real time TYPED communications while simultaneously living a life! Including while in a library! Lol. Also, frequently my case, while in a NOISY industrial environment! OR, communicating with parts of the planet where English isn't first language.

Agent 99 does voice spectacularly well also, including physical key phone control, but without sacrificing TYPED communications AT-ALL... An inclusive compromise that proves TOO useful to expect it will never be revisited... Next year? Next decade? Next century?? Lol.

Butchering a quote attributed to a certain hero of mine, ... "'The market' will eventually do the right thing... After it tries everything else first..." ... Lol.
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    09-19-18 06:35 AM
    I'll be giving the KEY2 LE a try, as it is much lighter than the KEYone and KEY2 and may, therefore, afford the best typing experience of the three.

But I hold out hope that BlackBerry Mobile will someday release a smaller phone with physical keyboard and trackpad in homage to the BlackBerrys of yesteryear. Call it the "Retro" or something like that.
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    09-19-18 07:53 AM
    We probably covered this before and I expect that the answer will be no but ... is it possible to get Skype working on bbOS7?
    09-23-18 09:25 AM
    We probably covered this before and I expect that the answer will be no but ... is it possible to get Skype working on bbOS7?

No. Will not work. Unless you developed your own discord fork, or something that supported skype for web's API (microshaft sucks in that impossibility), it would be happening quicker.
    09-23-18 05:02 PM
    A long long... And few more "long" time ago on BB OS was Skype(only text) and many many others IM platforms. There was such beatiful combos apps which integrate all in one platforms to one app. But it was the time when API for the apps was open for everyone. Now every platform want to catch the user and don't let him out and meet the neighbour.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-25-18 11:01 AM
    Where is the link shuswap made for the light browser to use with 9900? He posted it here a while back.
    09-25-18 03:06 PM
    Where is the link shuswap made for the light browser to use with 9900? He posted it here a while back.
    /blackberry-bold-series-f235/browser-google-web-light-much-better-page-loading-times-1116281/#post12971963
    09-25-18 04:19 PM
    Found it. This helps to load fast news pages on 9900 browser.

http://darkstar.x10host.com/news/us.html
    09-27-18 01:46 AM
    Hello 9900 Fans...

I just wanted to say I've really enjoyed going through the posts on this thread. I started from the beginning but then I realized I wasn't going to reasonably get through them all.

A big thank you to all the contributors who make owning a 9900 a treat in its own special way.

I have a Passport as well which is being used as my Yoga space mini computer. In the last week I acquired 3 more used 9900s to add to my collection of two, to bring my total to 5. I'm indifferent to the white version but I think someday I'd like to get a 9900 non-camera edition for kicks.

Happy to have three daily drivers to use in rotation. The three at the top. All with matte screen protectors. The bottom two are so nice they'll be shelf queens for now. Happy to have bought lower blank keyboard plates so now all of them are unbranded. A nice unified system... And I also obtained all the batteries through various methods, wanted to label them to switch them out regularly. You can see I plan on using these for a little bit...

The cost to unlock two of my newer ones was very reasonable, about $3.50 CDN each. Seemed like a bargain to me.

Just something about the form factor that speaks to me, as I'm sure it does to many of you...

Hoping to keep reading posts in this fantastic thread. Take care everyone. Happy Canadian Thanksgiving long weekend.

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_20181004_084516.jpg
    10-04-18 08:57 AM
    NewsG Web - Powered by Google News RSS Feeds

This is an improved version. Good for Bold / Curve users!

Hey F1junkie, those Bolds with that many batteries will last forever!
    10-08-18 07:23 PM
    Hello 9900 Fans...

I just wanted to say I've really enjoyed going through the posts on this thread. I started from the beginning but then I realized I wasn't going to reasonably get through them all.

A big thank you to all the contributors who make owning a 9900 a treat in its own special way.

I have a Passport as well which is being used as my Yoga space mini computer. In the last week I acquired 3 more used 9900s to add to my collection of two, to bring my total to 5. I'm indifferent to the white version but I think someday I'd like to get a 9900 non-camera edition for kicks.

Happy to have three daily drivers to use in rotation. The three at the top. All with matte screen protectors. The bottom two are so nice they'll be shelf queens for now. Happy to have bought lower blank keyboard plates so now all of them are unbranded. A nice unified system... And I also obtained all the batteries through various methods, wanted to label them to switch them out regularly. You can see I plan on using these for a little bit...

The cost to unlock two of my newer ones was very reasonable, about $3.50 CDN each. Seemed like a bargain to me.

Just something about the form factor that speaks to me, as I'm sure it does to many of you...

Hoping to keep reading posts in this fantastic thread. Take care everyone. Happy Canadian Thanksgiving long weekend.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181004_084516.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	360.6 KB 
ID:	440520
    Welcome to the thread started and frequented by unabashed enthusiasts of RIM's single greatest achievement! You're experiencing the final days of the most proficient global communications tool to ever fit a single human hand! How many will never know what they never knew? Lol.

Nice collection. Including batteries. Best advice for long term batt storage is to give them an "equalizing" top up, then drain down to about 80% before storage. Our break room fridge has stored quite a few in that manner. Some perform flawlessly after 5+ yrs. Jury is still out on freezer storage but seems promising. All ayor. Just don't consume any food items from that fridge if any batts leak. Lol. None have leaked, nor swelled, since stored away by our procedure. Fwiw.
    10-09-18 01:33 AM
    Thanks idssteve for the reminder about the fridge. They are in a small container ready to go. I've put it in my calendar to switch batteries every three weeks. That way they don't sit for too too long. I hope by taking care of them they will provide decent service for the rest of their useful life. I'm such a light user that three weeks using one battery won't be much of a workout for it.

Yes after starting to read the posts I knew I had to get back to using the 9900 as a way to honour one of the best form factors ever. I wonder if I'll see one in the wild anytime soon? There should be a meetup of 9900 owners the way watch collectors gather LOL. More of a practical way to show our affinity for the device rather than showing off how much money we have (I have none).

How many will never know what they never knew?
    I love this!

Dave
    10-09-18 08:36 AM
    What is the official date for the end of BIS? Is there one?
    10-09-18 01:11 PM
    Was there a Skype app for the legacy devices? I have been reading about how spammers or hackers or something has taken over Skype and after reading that I don’t miss it.

Everyone and their dog seems to be using Facebook messenger or WhatsApp for this purpose now.
    10-09-18 01:14 PM
    My interest in Skype is as something that is more flexible with respect to platform ie. not necessarily tied to a smartphone. I have Skype lite working on my Q10 and of course it works well on my MacBook and Android touch-slab.
    I will not use Facebook or WhatsApp, or anything else from the MarkZ house of horrors
    Last edited by mushroom_daddy; 10-09-18 at 02:50 PM.
    10-09-18 01:29 PM
    What is the official date for the end of BIS? Is there one?
    Multiple sources seem to agree on 12/31/19. Midnight? No clue what time zone... Lol. My understanding is that BIS NOC goes dark that instant but? Can't honestly say I've heard any of this from "official" sources. ??

Expecting VZW to kill off cdma about Dec of THIS year, tho. If VZW 4G doesn't afford any better rural coverage than ATT, my company might be back to SAT Phones before BIS dies...???
    10-10-18 02:02 AM
    Thanks idssteve for the reminder about the fridge. They are in a small container ready to go. I've put it in my calendar to switch batteries every three weeks. That way they don't sit for too too long. I hope by taking care of them they will provide decent service for the rest of their useful life. I'm such a light user that three weeks using one battery won't be much of a workout for it.

Yes after starting to read the posts I knew I had to get back to using the 9900 as a way to honour one of the best form factors ever. I wonder if I'll see one in the wild anytime soon? There should be a meetup of 9900 owners the way watch collectors gather LOL. More of a practical way to show our affinity for the device rather than showing off how much money we have (I have none).

I love this!

Dave
    Haha... Sadly so few will ever experience agent 99's enchantingly seductive proficiency. Lol. RIM just got so many things so right... For 9900's defined mission. A mission of 24/7 typing communication productivity optimized through years of enterprise user feedback derived experience. A mission so many consumer level users remain oblivious to. A mission useful enough to maybe, one day, get revisited? SOME day? ?? By then, so much of that experience will have been lost to eternity. At least there's still time to partially experience true, real time 24/7 typed communications competency... Imo. Fwiw. Lol.

We've experienced fabulous results spot welding in fresh LiOn cells into JM1 packages. Our "spot weld" machine is pretty sophisticated but my "smart guys" have pretty inexpensive equipment at their homes that they claim satisfactory results with. Just gotta maintain awareness of the hazards. Lol.

Otherwise, It's pretty accepted industry practice to "over rate" LiOn capacity thru "over charge". That over charged state seems to degrade certain aspects of the cells after a few days. My "smart guys" seem convinced that long term LiOn shelf life seems optimal at about 80% charge.

They need occasional 100% for "equalizing" but we then discharge them to about 80% before long term storage. Our break room fridge doubles as a charging station for all manor of LiOn batts... Including JM1s. Lol. Custom built charging controllers can be programmed to regularly equalize at 100%, then discharge thru resistive loads down to 80% for prolonged storage... About once per month. Fwiw. Right or wrong, it seems to work. Lol.
    10-10-18 03:10 AM
    We've also experimented with various clamping strategies while charging to gently "squeeze" envelope cells in effort to mitigate potential for delamination. Seems promising so far. Potentially hazardous if done stupidly tight, tho. Lol. The weight of my old Thermodynamics book seems good on JM1s. Fwiw.
    10-10-18 03:30 AM
    Hi idssteve -

I don't know if you mentioned what industry you are in, but your love of the 9900 is definitely to be admired!

The spot welding of new cells sounds very interesting - I spent an evening watching people swapping batteries from different phones into one another. I've always wondered why cell phone companies never collaborated and decided on a few standard sizes. Well, actually I do know why, for the almighty $$$...

Sadly that leaves people who want to keep their devices going at the mercy of available stock for proprietary batteries. Unless you can find work-arounds as it looks like you have! I would love to see the process of the battery surgery, if not here than perhaps through PM or email? I've been thinking that may be an emerging small market - skilled people who can graft new cells to keep devices going. From an environmental standpoint it makes me sad that good devices are being thrown away due to lack of power through the 'right' size battery.

So back to battery maintenance - many people refer to the 'Battery University' site that mentions what idssteve said as well - not keeping batteries at full charge as it seems to stress them out and decrease battery life. For those of us without the electronic skills or funds, anyone have a recommendation for an inexpensive, dependable way to get the JM-1s down to approximately 80%?

Have a great day everyone.

Dave

We've experienced fabulous results spot welding in fresh LiOn cells into JM1 packages. Our "spot weld" machine is pretty sophisticated but my "smart guys" have pretty inexpensive equipment at their homes that they claim satisfactory results with. Just gotta maintain awareness of the hazards. Lol.
    Custom built charging controllers can be programmed to regularly equalize at 100%, then discharge thru resistive loads down to 80% for prolonged storage...
    10-10-18 06:16 AM
8,754 ... 324325326327328 ...