Still goin' strong
    Attached Thumbnails 9900:Resurgence of popularity!-49313.jpg  
    DWonder likes this.
    04-13-18 10:58 PM
    Still goin' strong.
    Attached Thumbnails 9900:Resurgence of popularity!-49313.jpg  
    rayporsche likes this.
    04-13-18 10:59 PM
    Has anyone tried to export a browser certificate from a desktop browser like IE and import into a 9900? Would that help with expired certificates?
    04-16-18 07:38 PM
    Hmmm

Maybe somebody WAS listening

BlackBerry CEO John Chen Wants To Revive The BlackBerry Bold 9900
    http://a.mynews.ly/!MD.IqKNX
    mushroom_daddy and idssteve like this.
    04-17-18 03:04 AM
    Hmmm

Good find! If they can do that before BlackBerry turn off BIS and cripple my 9900, I'll be a happy man
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    04-17-18 03:51 AM
    Has anyone tried to export a browser certificate from a desktop browser like IE and import into a 9900? Would that help with expired certificates?
    I'm not sure about exporting directly from a browser but, I have previously sourced certificates from the web and used them to resolve a certificate error on my 9900
    https://forums.crackberry.com/showth...1#post13155875

Here are some web refs that I used while working out what to do:
    Last edited by mushroom_daddy; 04-17-18 at 04:21 AM.
    04-17-18 03:56 AM
    I've seen some of those sites. I think I'll try to import some certificates in to my Blackberry as I need them and see what happens.

On another note, does OS7 or OS6 have any features to turn OFF data but keep the network still running? In other words, I will be able to send/receive texts but no browsing, no data mining, no emails. I ask because my ancient Android (a great Pantech Pocket, running on Gingerbread?) has this feature. Bye bye Google, ha ha, and probably improve battery life.

Such a switch would basically turn the phone into a basic phone. But a basic phone with the PDA abilities of a 9900 would be mighty awesome!
    04-17-18 06:25 PM
    On another note, does OS7 or OS6 have any features to turn OFF data but keep the network still running? In other words, I will be able to send/receive texts but no browsing, no data mining, no emails. I ask because my ancient Android (a great Pantech Pocket, running on Gingerbread?) has this feature. Bye bye Google, ha ha, and probably improve battery life.
    Such a switch would basically turn the phone into a basic phone. But a basic phone with the PDA abilities of a 9900 would be mighty awesome!
    You try and turn off 'Data Services' under the mobile network settings. Perhaps even switch it to 2G only mode.

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-s18_04_18__06_22_16.jpg

You could also remove BIS from your network provider data plan, that should effectively cripple your 9900, unless you develop other methods to circumvent the need for BIS [as outlined in Shuswap's sticky thread https://forums.crackberry.com/showth...#post11347966]
    04-18-18 02:55 AM
    Tested 9900 & 7290 for last month. For my large fingers 7290 keyboard is easier to type - I write lots of text.
    04-18-18 10:56 AM
    This is probably impractical but what about an OTA from BlackBerry providing new 2018 software to revive our old 9900s
    DWonder likes this.
    04-18-18 09:33 PM
    This is probably impractical but what about an OTA from BlackBerry providing new 2018 software to revive our old 9900s
    What possible benefit could BlackBerry gain out of this?

In case it wasn't clear, that was a rhetorical question. The answer is,"Nothing at all."
    04-19-18 09:04 AM
    Customers that would keep buying their new products! Why does Apple still provide updates for five-year-old iPhone 5S? Why does Apple still provide updates for my five-year-old iPad air? The answer.....to keep customers USING and TALKING ABOUT their products and providing overall customer satisfaction possibly leading to more sales.

BLAH BLAH BLAH there is no more money in BIS blah blah blah this a dying platform blah blah blah.

We’ve heard it all before. This is a fondly remembered and still used device and people like Zuckerberg did not have to pull the plug on apps we were still using. HE put the final nail in the coffin as far as I’m concerned because the Canadian company is still keeping it going for almost 2 more years.

MONEY

MONEY

MONEY
    DWonder likes this.
    04-19-18 10:44 AM
    Read the latest news on Facebook? Would you even want Facebook on your 99?

As for CB, it is funny that it crashes a lot on my 99 but is quite stable on my 9800. Hm...
    What I've been saying for a loooong time.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-19-18 11:46 AM
    Chen wants to create a 9900 series phone - why not download the new software into the old phones?
    DWonder likes this.
    04-19-18 01:25 PM
    I am rooting for the 3310 4G Nokia and the Verizon Palm 2018 to succeed wildly. Let that Palm be a QWERTY phone, too! If there is strong support for these devices in North America, it may create more incentive among the hardware manufacturers to revisit nostalgic devices, such as the 9900. Until that time, I have my Bold 9900, my Torch 9800, my Curves 9315 / 9300, my 9530 Storm to entertain me. Also my Palm Pixi and Pre's. As long as 3G lives on, I will keep using these phones. The 9900, 9800, and 9315 still have fast browsers, and I know now how to import certificates to replace expired ones. And if BIS dies, I can still use Logicmail for email. Text and calls will always work.

How sad is it that all my Blackberries, combined together (and I've got like...20+ of them!), don't equal in cost what one high-end Samsung or iPhone costs, and yet a $5 Blackberry can do the PDA tasks, document editing, emails/texts/calls SO MUCH BETTER than these fancy new phones?
    Arabianhorse likes this.
    04-19-18 03:28 PM
    Hmmm

Some concepts just plain work. Lol.
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    04-19-18 09:30 PM
    Some guy was talking behind me about “myfi,” Is that just his wifi or? He wasn’t too happy .

We use mifi a lot, for field work. Create a portable WiFi Hotspot using cell system.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NT...UvbUpU13173575
    04-19-18 09:36 PM

In case it wasn't clear, that was a rhetorical question. The answer is,"Nothing at all."
    You’re right it wasn’t clear but I’m glad I straightened it out.
    04-19-18 09:38 PM
    We use mifi a lot, for field work. Create a portable WiFi Hotspot using cell system.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NT...UvbUpU13173578
    OK yeah I do that sometimes when I have a crappy Wi-Fi signal at a café i use my iPhone for the hotspot for the iPad
    04-19-18 09:39 PM
    Omit
    Last edited by RaybanRJ; 04-20-18 at 02:14 AM.
    04-19-18 09:45 PM
    Chen wants to create a 9900 series phone - why not download the new software into the old phones?
    Well we can dream, but ... that is just not going to happen, sadly
    Arabianhorse likes this.
    04-20-18 02:13 AM
    Well we can dream, but ... that is just not going to happen, sadly
    Unless we are beta testers
    04-20-18 04:58 AM
    OK yeah I do that sometimes when I have a crappy Wi-Fi signal at a café i use my iPhone for the hotspot for the iPad
    Yep. I was fond of using Classic's 4G to hotspot for wifi 9900. Seemed to speed up 9900 rather than its 3G speeds. But, KRACK has pretty well shut down 99's wifi, for me at least. A risk I can't knowingly take. Especially on a jobsite with dozens of various wifi signals floating around and too many tech capable contractors I've never heard of... Lol. Same goes for motel & airport wifi. Lol.

We use vzw MIFI "jetpacks" (who names these things? Lol) quite a lot. Mostly for laptops, printers, network drives, etc. At lobsites. Our office trailer is fitted with two of them at one jobsite. Fed through WeBoost amplifiers, they're the best internet on site.

Our IT guy swears these particular MIFI models were never "really" vulnerable to KRACK. ?? Idk. My "smart guys" disagree and have implemented a "watchdog" of some sort on those mifi networks. Just in case any of our tech savvy competitors on site get too nosy. Sounds like a rather nasty surprise for the uninvited. Lol.

We finally updated our Classics' to latest OS which supposedly mitigates KRACK worries. Nice to have Classic back on wifi.. Sure miss 99 on wifi but 3G still gets the job done. And I'd still rather have 99's compact proficiency than wifi on most days.
    04-21-18 07:42 AM
    We finally updated our Classics' to latest OS which supposedly mitigates KRACK worries. Nice to have Classic back on wifi.. Sure miss 99 on wifi but 3G still gets the job done. And I'd still rather have 99's compact proficiency than wifi on most days.

If BB10 has fixed Krack with it's latest update, does that not allow you to use the Classic as a router for your 9900 again? I really don't understand the full details of Krack, but thought that it was exploiting security weaknesses at the router (rather than client) end
    04-23-18 07:03 AM
    Some concepts just plain work. Lol.

Definitely true; but -- Anyone looking at Chen's comment is going to ask well, if this is such a great idea, why isn't BlackBerry doing it?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-24-18 10:35 AM
8,754 ... 313314315316317 ...