Do any BB phones have an FM transmitter? I'd like to listen to some radio theater audios on a car without bluetooth capabilities. One solution is just to buy an FM transmitter that plugs into the 3.5 jack on the phone.
    How old is this car? Are we talking 1976 Oldsmobile or something newer?

There are always those cassette deck to aux cord adapters...

In theory, you could put one of those inside an 8-track to cassette adapter lol

sorry if my sense of humour is off this morning.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    12-24-17 10:01 AM
    Do any BB phones have an FM transmitter? I'd like to listen to some radio theater audios on a car without bluetooth capabilities. One solution is just to buy an FM transmitter that plugs into the 3.5 jack on the phone.
    I use a Blackberry Bluetooth VM-605 visor mounted speaker (meant to take calls while driving ) and it also uses FM through your car speakers. I use it with TuneIn radio app and Spotify and it works perfectly with the 9900 and the iPhone 7. Car is a 2005 Buick Allure:

I got both of them for five dollars each for separate buyers you can always find those VM-605’s used and new they were up to $200.

Edit: just re-read and you said without Bluetooth, so nvm
    anon(8063781) and idssteve like this.
    12-24-17 10:14 AM
    I use a Blackberry Bluetooth VM-605 visor mounted speaker (meant to take calls while driving ) and it also uses FM through your car speakers. I use it with TuneIn radio app and Spotify and it works perfectly with the 9900 and the iPhone 7. Car is a 2005 Buick Allure:

I got both of them for five dollars each for separate buyers you can always find those VM-605’s used and new they were up to $200.

Edit: just re-read and you said without Bluetooth, so nvm
    Actually, Ralph, that sounds like it would work, since it would connect through the car stereo's FM. His problem with bluetooth was that the car stereo doesn't have it, but this device circumvents that problem.

12-24-17 10:41 AM
    Most of these FM transmitters tend to have a little bit of static on them. But that's okay, it's RADIO. Plus, static actually enhances the ambience of those vintage radio theater programs I like. I might grab a $10 one from Amazon unless I find one cheaper. Or...I hear the Nokia N85 has a radio transmitter. Or, the Pureview 808! Oh boy, just gimme a reason to get another phone for my collection!

Did someone mention 8-track? We had a 1970s Buick with an 8-track player built in. Boy, those cassettes were bulky. I wonder if kids today would even recognize one if they saw it.
    12-24-17 10:50 AM
    +1 for VM605. Effectively adds BT to FM to your older car. Still use mine in my older vehicles. Dunno how old it is but it's built in battery shows no signs of weakness, yet. It can be usb charged from cig lighter too. Fidelity is typical "FM quality" and if you travel much might demand resetting FM frequencies to avoid overpowering from local stations. Typical of FM xmtr solutions. A nicely thought out solution that simply works. A product of RIM, if I recall. You'll need a manual. I might even still have one.

I've also always wished for a handset with built in FM... Probably never happen, at this point. Lol.
    12-24-17 10:58 AM
    Also, VM605 acts as a BT handsfree device for calls and will broadcast the other party's voice over FM. Great for adding volume in a noisy vehicle... like my F350 diesel. Keep in mind that a car near by might overhear half of your conversation if they happen to be tuned to your FM frequency. They have to be VERY near but possible. Assuming anyone listens to FM anymore. Lol.
    12-24-17 11:09 AM
    Or...I hear the Nokia N85 has a radio transmitter. Or, the Pureview 808! Oh boy, just gimme a reason to get another phone for my collection!
    You should do it and report back! If I remember correctly, there was a good Nokia 808 website with lots of apps. I don't know how many still work though.

12-24-17 11:11 AM
    Actually, Ralph, that sounds like it would work, since it would connect through the car stereo's FM. His problem with bluetooth was that the car stereo doesn't have it, but this device circumvents that problem.

Well the thing is I do have to go to the FM station the 605 tells me to, usually 88.5 (where I am because it is not used)

It is basically just a phone speaker until you press the little “FM” button on the side and then you go to the channel the 605 tells you to, hit PLAY on Spotify and that’s it.

It’s funny actually, one of the people I bought one off said they had an iPhone and it wouldn’t work since they sold their Blackberry but it works PERFECTLY with the iPhone.

I should do a quick check in Amazon and see how much they are now
    12-24-17 11:17 AM
    Oh

My

GOD!

I don’t get it why so much!!!! Because “new in box?” I paid $10 for 2 of them and there always used to be a few used ones in Amazon for around $50!!!
    12-24-17 11:21 AM
    Also, VM605 acts as a BT handsfree device for calls and will broadcast the other party's voice over FM. Great for adding volume in a noisy vehicle... like my F350 diesel. Keep in mind that a car near by might overhear half of your conversation if they happen to be tuned to your FM frequency. They have to be VERY near but possible. Assuming anyone listens to FM anymore. Lol.
    Yup and even if I don’t turn it on and I get a call in the car, it is fast enough to turn on and answer the call by the third or fourth ring.

VERY LOUD built in speaker on it as well.
    12-24-17 11:25 AM
    Most of these FM transmitters tend to have a little bit of static on them. But that's okay, it's RADIO. Plus, static actually enhances the ambience of those vintage radio theater programs I like. I might grab a $10 one from Amazon unless I find one cheaper. Or...I hear the Nokia N85 has a radio transmitter. Or, the Pureview 808! Oh boy, just gimme a reason to get another phone for my collection!

Did someone mention 8-track? We had a 1970s Buick with an 8-track player built in. Boy, those cassettes were bulky. I wonder if kids today would even recognize one if they saw it.
    Haha... best thing about 8tracks was their "endless" loop configuration. 2 track Compact Cassette players hadn't evolved auto reverse yet. 8trx just keep replaying the same album until you got sick of hearing it, over and over... a classmate in a neighboring dorm room once passed out with some awful "one hit wonder" playing over, and over, and over... ug... the good Ole days. Lol.

8 track cassettes were huge and demanded a LOT of space to carry very many in a car. I frequently selected a specific few to carry in the car... depending on expected tastes of the girl I might be dating, back then. Lol.

I really preferred the more compact 4 tracks... also preferred more compact beta over vhs. Also prefer more compact 9900 over the "ginormous" all handed monsters currently perpetrated as "hand" sets... lol. Seem to wind up on the wrong side of "mass insanity" time after time... lol. Just never suffered "size envy", I suppose.
    anon(10321802) likes this.
    12-24-17 11:41 AM
    Oh

My

GOD!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...9c4efdffb2.jpg

I don’t get it why so much!!!! Because “new in box?” I paid $10 for 2 of them and there always used to be a few used ones in Amazon for around $50!!!
    C-R-A-Z-Y-!!!!

Fortunately, there's only one color so no need to buy two at that price!!! Hahah...
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    12-24-17 11:43 AM
    Haha... best thing about 8tracks was their "endless" loop configuration. 2 track Compact Cassette players hadn't evolved auto reverse yet. 8trx just keep replaying the same album until you got sick of hearing it, over and over... a classmate in a neighboring dorm room once passed out with some awful "one hit wonder" playing over, and over, and over... ug... the good Ole days. Lol.

8 track cassettes were huge and demanded a LOT of space to carry very many in a car. I frequently selected a specific few to carry in the car... depending on expected tastes of the girl I might be dating, back then. Lol.

I really preferred the more compact 4 tracks... also preferred more compact beta over vhs. Also prefer more compact 9900 over the "ginormous" all handed monsters currently perpetrated as "hand" sets... lol. Seem to wind up on the wrong side of "mass insanity" time after time... lol. Just never suffered "size envy", I suppose.
    I still got mine from about 1976, all the tapes have long since rotted and cracked upon trying to play them.

There were 4 “Programs” but you could never get the song you wanted
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    12-24-17 11:44 AM
    C-R-A-Z-Y-!!!!

Fortunately, there's only one color so no need to buy two at that price!!! Hahah...
    That’s why I LOVE scouring the Facebook buy and sell garage sale sites, or kijiji and “LetGo.” Great apps and you wouldn’t believe what you can find for sale near you.
    12-24-17 11:46 AM
    FleaBay has some for about < $30. Fwiw.
    12-24-17 12:17 PM
    Nice thing about using phone for music player is that music gets automatically paused when a call comes in. Can be set to resume where it left off... if playing from SD. 99's 32GB SD holds nice quantity of music. I've driven coast to coast and back and never heard the same song twice! Quite an advancement over 8 trx! Lol.

Nice thing about BIS for streaming is compression! I listen to tune in over 99 a LOT... data rarely (if ever) hits 1 GB.
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    12-24-17 06:46 PM
    You'll need one of those BlackBerry Wireless Music Gateway. Search eBay or Amazon. I got a nice deal at $11 last year.
    Connect your phone to the Gateway with bluetooth, Gateway to car stereo with the auxiliary cord.
    You will need a Blackberry headset (wired) as well, to function as FM antenna. And also due to this you can not connect BlackBerry to car with auxiliary cord as the headphone jack on phone is occupied.
    Nice thing with the Music Gateway is the old pre-bluetoothed stereo systems can be brought back to use, as long as they have the proper connection to pair with the Gateway. I got a 6.5 mm adapter (or that big size jack) for the 3.5 mm auxiliary cord and got my old 1990s Pioneer system to work with the Blackberries. The sound is not that nice though because it is a microphone jack on the Pioneer and it is from the 90s, but it was great fun getting them to work together.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-17 08:54 PM
    Merry Christmas Boldies!
    RaybanRJ, idssteve and rayporsche like this.
    12-24-17 10:45 PM
    Merry Christmas!
    rayporsche and anon(8063781) like this.
    12-25-17 03:24 AM
    Happy Christmas bold persons, have a great day!
    12-25-17 04:01 AM
    Merry Xmas to you all.

Posted via CB10
    12-25-17 06:05 AM
    Merry Christmas, Moldy Boldies!
    12-25-17 06:48 AM
    Yup Merry Christmas. Driving to my aunts today and I don’t think I want to let my car sit for more than 2 hours since it is -27c today
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    12-25-17 10:29 AM
    Yup Merry Christmas. Driving to my aunts today and I don’t think I want to let my car sit for more than 2 hours since it is -27c today
    When I lived in Northern BC, I had a friend who used to slide a metal garbage can lid of lit charcoal briquettes under his car in extremely cold weather. I'm *not* recommending this (think gas and flames, people!). It just made me laugh to think about it again.

Cars sure respond differently to cold weather. The throttle on my 86 Ranger used to freeze open at -40. That was a lovely experience. I also owned an 85 Chevy that would start in *any* weather. It once started at -53C without being plugged in. I had to pick up quite a few co-workers that morning.

What's your favourite Christmas present this year? Mine really shows my age: my wife got me one of those lighted hands free magnifying glasses that clamp onto a table -- for working on small electronics. Those tiny parts are getting hard to see these days
    12-25-17 01:16 PM
    Oh man, -27c is roughly -17F! Cold no matter WHERE you're from! Lol. #2 diesel can look like vaseline at those temps. At least without adequate additives and/or #1 blend. That subzero fuel will frostbite fingers quickly while clearing gell from filters at roadside. Btdt. Lol.
    Sheared kickstart lever failing to start my 65 Panhead one -20F morning. Didn't know my own strength in those college days. Lol. Probably for the best since the straight sAE50 wt neglectfully in it had to be like tar, at that temp. 65 was Harley's first year for electric starter and it was smart enough to not even try... Haha..

All season rider in college days. Proper equipment made things nicely comfortable. Frostbite was a persistent threat. Especially fingers.

99 & Classic trackpads work pretty well with gloves. What options do slab users have for frostbite conditions?
    12-25-17 03:34 PM
8,754 ... 288289290291292 ...