But it must be a total relief not to have wear your tinfoil hat indoors!
    Haha... Where does one find TIN foil, these days? Does Aluminum work? Lol.

No worries, ELF might transmit thru finger flesh from phone's capacitive touch coupling anyway. Lol. But, why fight'em when you can join'em??

https://www.elfemmit.com/last-chance...SAAEgLTA_D_BwE

Lol...
    12-05-17 04:10 PM
    Saw it on TV or youtube that they are making some new houses in the US with entire wall and roof from concrete with fine wire mesh. That must be terrible on the cell signals.

Posted via CB10
    Wilson's WeBoost repeater/amplifiers can solve a lot of weak/shielded signal troubles. Gotta have at least a little signal outside for it to boadcast inside.
    12-05-17 04:15 PM
    Haha... Where does one find TIN foil, these days? Does Aluminum work? Lol.

No worries, ELF might transmit thru finger flesh from phone's capacitive touch coupling anyway. Lol. But, why fight'em when you can join'em??

https://www.elfemmit.com/last-chance...SAAEgLTA_D_BwE

Lol...
    Nice cancer machine
    12-06-17 12:16 AM
    I wanted to take a quick photo of a document, took out my 9300, opened camera app, and tapped the screen (my convenience buttons were set to something else). Nothing happened. I tapped the screen three more times, no photos taken!

What!?! Then.... it hit me. the 9300 doesn't have a touch screen. I tapped the touchpad on the toolbelt, and voila, photo was taken. Duh.

We are spoiled by our touchscreens, aren't we? Don't worry, little 9300, I still love you very much!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900!
    rayporsche likes this.
    12-06-17 02:45 PM
    I wanted to take a quick photo of a document, took out my 9300, opened camera app, and tapped the screen (my convenience buttons were set to something else). Nothing happened. I tapped the screen three more times, no photos taken!

What!?! Then.... it hit me. the 9300 doesn't have a touch screen. I tapped the touchpad on the toolbelt, and voila, photo was taken. Duh.

We are spoiled by our touchscreens, aren't we? Don't worry, little 9300, I still love you very much!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900!
    Check out ZOOM with trackpad... Scroll trackpad up/down to zoom in/out then snap shot without even lifting thumb. Smooth, fluid and addictive. It will spoil the best of us. Lol.

Plus, I really like letting a little weight rest onto thumb on trackpad for added stability while snapping photo. Too bad 99's camera was so lacking but other legacy models really had pretty respectable cameras AND utilized BBOS's excellent single thumb zoom & snap...
    Last edited by idssteve; 12-06-17 at 03:38 PM.
    12-06-17 03:12 PM
    Yeah my 5MP autofocus camera on the 9780 and 9790 were excellent, especially for Macro shots but unfortunately I have zoom only on camera mode and NOT in Video mode. If I recall I THINK I had zoom on both with the others but not the 9900. Then again my 9900 runs a much earlier version of OS7.1.
    12-06-17 05:48 PM
    Latest OS still has zoom on photo only. Not vid. Amazingly, Classic didn't utilize trackpad for photo zoom. Guess that's what happens when you have glass phreaks designing track devices. Lol.

After all these years, I'll still take track over touch.
    12-06-17 10:13 PM
    Latest OS still has zoom on photo only. Not vid. Amazingly, Classic didn't utilize trackpad for photo zoom. Guess that's what happens when you have glass phreaks designing track devices. Lol.

After all these years, I'll still take track over touch.
    Yeah I know every time I make a YouTube video you can see the pauses for when you can only pinch your fingers out so far to zoom it’s not as smooth as the trackpad that’s for sure. Better control of the trackpad for Minute zooms or big ones.
    12-06-17 10:15 PM
    Glass has certainly proven itself a gentle learning curve for the masses. I, myself, suffer to identify a single thing it does better than trackpad. It's certainly not more precise. It slows ME down at least half. Obviously many others disagree, for now. BUT I can foresee a day where the masses might grow weary of taking longer for less precision and start seeking more advanced UI concepts. SOME of us grow out of finger painting and start seeking finely tipped brushes, at some point.. lol
    rayporsche likes this.
    12-06-17 10:30 PM
    ...like trying to place the cursor where it's needed to be with the big thumb blocking out all the letters. I always manage to put it one or two letters away, lol.
    @Nguyen1: try the convenient button next time you want to take a pic. I've always had the right ones for voice dialing but when in camera mode they always work as the shutter button.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-17 07:41 AM
    I rarely use camera. It's more convenient for me to assign one for kindle, the other for lock device.

Speaking of trackpads, they work great on smartphones, no arguments there, but they make terrible, disastrous mouse replacements for desktop. My office has a Mac with a trackpad instead of normal mouse, and it slows me down 80% at least . I HATE it! I blame Apple for this terrible design over function trend of the past decade-plus.

Heck, I'll challenge anyone to a good old-fashioned game of Doom, me on my decades-long mouse vs. them on a fancy Apple trackpad. It would be a massacre...
    Berry Happy 2 likes this.
    12-07-17 08:09 AM
    I rarely use camera. It's more convenient for me to assign one for kindle, the other for lock device.

Speaking of trackpads, they work great on smartphones, no arguments there, but they make terrible, disastrous mouse replacements for desktop. My office has a Mac with a trackpad instead of normal mouse, and it slows me down 80% at least . I HATE it! I blame Apple for this terrible design over function trend of the past decade-plus.

Heck, I'll challenge anyone to a good old-fashioned game of Doom, me on my decades-long mouse vs. them on a fancy Apple trackpad. It would be a massacre...
    Just for clarity, when you're in 7.1 camera app, convenience key snaps "shutter" no matter what else convenience is assigned to otherwise. I keep convenience key assigned to Messages. Which let's me check messages from ALMOST anywhere... Except camera... Lol. Shutter snap takes priority when camera app is up.

Of course trackpad button also snaps shutter so... I typically prefer to zoom than to physically move my body for image framing... So once zoomed to desired frame by scrolling trackpad, thumb just presses trackpad... Quick, easy, simple & smooth... Not words I'd associate with my D60... Lol.

Not sure what's on your Macs? Track pad? Or touch pad?? Totally agree about mouse and desktop... Solidly proven application... So long as you have a desk for the mouse. Lol. I've been experimenting with bluetooth mouse on K1 also. Still needs a surface. Mouse works great for presentations, also, unless you roam... Which I do... Lol.

I've grown to really like BB's optical trackpad for presentations... Classic over Miracast or hdmi, or 99 thru Playbook's hdmi on to 100" display. BB's optical trackpad tames all size displays nicely. Far, far better than laptop touch pads, imo. Not as nice as mouse but... Far more portable... And far, far more single handed friendly while operated from a pocket...

I've spec'd, provided, installed, programmed and commissioned well over 1000 industrial touch screen hmi over the past 30 years. Their single greatest attribute is versatility. For the system designer. Try as we have, they are rarely as comfortably intuitive for the operator-user as old fashioned physical PBs, in my experience. Which is why there's ALWAYS a big red PHYSICAL "Emergency Stop". And frequently other physical switches. Just to safely optimize operator-user efficiency and comfort. Every tool has its task. BB's Optical Trackpad, as implemented on 9900, remains unchallenged for UI experience, imo. Touch UI can't touch it, imo. For mobile UI precision, at least. Imo. Fwiw.

This monster sized K1 really, really NEEDs trackpad... and toolbelt as well... Instead of that phreaking capacitive home button that disrupts what EVER you're doing with the slightest accidental brush... I'm SO fatigued of handling handsets like porcupines!!! Lol.
    12-07-17 11:31 AM
    I have a random question. Resistive touch screens are extinct now but used to be quite commonplace. Were they all plastic? I can't imagine pushing to deform a glass screen would have been a great idea... Just a random thought.
    12-07-17 06:25 PM
    I have a random question. Resistive touch screens are extinct now but used to be quite commonplace. Were they all plastic? I can't imagine pushing to deform a glass screen would have been a great idea... Just a random thought.
    The vast majority of resistive touchscreens have a plastic resistive layer on top, with an underlying screen with a glass or plastic surface. Apparently a glass over glass resistive touchscreen is possible, but I've never seen one, and for the top layer to be flexible enough to work, it would likely be fairly fragile.
    12-07-17 06:57 PM
    Vast majority of industrial hmi I've worked with were resistive. To my recollection, all had a flexible "plastic" overlay. Actual durability can't hold a candle to capacitive glass. We've all likely seen capacitive glass function with spiderweb cracks... resistive tends to wear and degrade, over time. Becoming less and less responsive to "dead spots" in the grid. I've programmed around such deadspots to get a customer out of a bind. Resistive's advantage, imo, is that it doesn't register an input with just a tiny brush from a stray finger. Capacitive doesn't HAVE to be so "touchy" , tho. Overly touchy touch is a choice Apple embraced and everyone has embraced it since. Probably great for some things. Not conducive to error free precision, imo.
    12-07-17 08:52 PM
    Vast majority of industrial hmi I've worked with were resistive. To my recollection, all had a flexible "plastic" overlay. Actual durability can't hold a candle to capacitive glass. We've all likely seen capacitive glass function with spiderweb cracks... resistive tends to wear and degrade, over time. Becoming less and less responsive to "dead spots" in the grid. I've programmed around such deadspots to get a customer out of a bind. Resistive's advantage, imo, is that it doesn't register an input with just a tiny brush from a stray finger. Capacitive doesn't HAVE to be so "touchy" , tho. Overly touchy touch is a choice Apple embraced and everyone has embraced it since. Probably great for some things. Not conducive to error free precision, imo.
    Another resistive advantage: cold weather. I can use the resistive touchscreen in my car with a glove on.

That being said, I'd really rather have buttons on the car stereo.
    12-07-17 10:06 PM
    I just obtained a good condition palm pixi plus. Oh.my.god. The process to activate this unactivated phone without the required HP servers, now all defunct, are very daunting! It's like translating Egyptian hieroglyphics without the rosetta stone! This is the very opposite of Apple's "it just works." But gosh darnit, I'm going to crack this thing because I've always heard how brilliant webOS is, next to BBOS, so I want to get it up and running.
    12-08-17 03:58 AM
    Another resistive advantage: cold weather. I can use the resistive touchscreen in my car with a glove on.

That being said, I'd really rather have buttons on the car stereo.
    Haha... No virtual steering wheels for me. Lol.

Btw, BB's optical trackpad can play nice with gloves.
    12-08-17 04:39 AM
    I just obtained a good condition palm pixi plus. Oh.my.god. The process to activate this unactivated phone without the required HP servers, now all defunct, are very daunting! It's like translating Egyptian hieroglyphics without the rosetta stone! This is the very opposite of Apple's "it just works." But gosh darnit, I'm going to crack this thing because I've always heard how brilliant webOS is, next to BBOS, so I want to get it up and running.
    Bypassing activation is a bit of a hassle. But once you get past it, you'll find that you have a very hackable phone.

In addition to the information on the webOS Nation forums, Pivotce.com has a number of useful guides.
    12-08-17 08:20 AM
    Yes, I grabbed a devicetool.jar program which should help. It took me a bit of time just to figure out how to put the pixi into USB mode. Not intuitive at all. Good thing I like to tinker. Nice looking device, though. Holding the palm pixi plus and my 9900 in my hands, I can only imagine "what could have been..." In a more sane world, webOS and BBOS should have ruled the cellphone market. But now, everyone just wants to carry around some Ipad mini clone that takes pictures; actually making calls is not a priority at all anymore on smartphones.
    rayporsche likes this.
    12-08-17 10:24 AM
    Yes, I grabbed a devicetool.jar program which should help. It took me a bit of time just to figure out how to put the pixi into USB mode. Not intuitive at all. Good thing I like to tinker. Nice looking device, though. Holding the palm pixi plus and my 9900 in my hands, I can only imagine "what could have been..." In a more sane world, webOS and BBOS should have ruled the cellphone market. But now, everyone just wants to carry around some Ipad mini clone that takes pictures; actually making calls is not a priority at all anymore on smartphones.
    Haha... I'd say that "the masses" have concluded that "actually making calls is not a priority at all anymore on smartphones"... lol. Any handset lacking hard, physical, "end" key shouldn't be called a phone, imo. Adding telephony capability to palmtop sized tablets is not my idea of a "phone". Nor even a "smartphone", imo. A tablet with telephony capability patched into it will ALWAYS feel like a tablet with telephony capability patched into it! A "patch job" with every one I've seen and used. I place and receive dozens of voice calls per day and rarely even focus eyesight onto 99! Most typically, custom notification LED informs peripheral eyesight, combined with custom ringtone, to identify incoming caller before even reaching for the phone. Thumb presses answer key, sight unseen, before phone clears holster. Ready for conversation as phone nears ear. No looking. Minimal distraction. FULL, undivided, focus on the relevant topic of conversation. Thanks to AOS&L, I have 99 defaulting to speakerphone so that access to things like calendar, contacts, messages, documents, etc can be viewed, discussed and updated, per conversation. Once call is completed, simple "end" key press reliably disconnects the call without interrupting document/calendar/contact etc editing. Once relevant info entered and relevant messages sent, simply holstering 99 into magnetic holster locks it down till next call. All with minimal distraction!

Initiating calls is equally non-distracting using 99's physical KB speed dials. In fact, my most called # is assigned to "P" as the easiest key to find & press by feel.. the little "teet" on "5" is also pretty easily found by feel. All accomplished with minimal distraction from the topic I'm conversing about over the PHONE. Two of the five largest buttons on 99's KB are mostly dedicated to phone operation! Clearly voice-phone was a big priority on 99.

Classic, with its toolbelt, shares some telephony prioritization with 99 and might be possibly the last of true smartPHONES, imo. Not quite as smoothly refined as 99 but a product of a far, far, more advanced galaxy than handling "phone" calls on my D60, for example. By the time I make voice contact on that D60 slab, my troubled brain too typically loses all recollection of what the call was about! Lol. Of course time focused on non-distracted conversation is time NOT generating ratings/revenue for Google... lol.

I genuinely feel for folks fielding dozens of calls per say on slabs... I guess if they've never really used a 99, they just wouldn't know anything better ever existed... . Lol.

K1's speed dials help it immensely. If it just had a toolbelt, I might even call it a phone! lol.
    Last edited by idssteve; 12-09-17 at 08:57 PM.
    rayporsche and anon(10321802) like this.
    12-09-17 01:37 PM
    Well as for not making phone calls anymore I don’t know but I did get a message from Rogers yesterday saying that they are going to be discontinuing “Extreme Texting” services, and example of this is being able to block text messages you do not want and a few other options as well. The reason they gave was not enough people using it and they have had it since 2010. I believe regular SMS is still going to be available but I think the big reason is apps like WhatsApp or Facebook messenger, Viber, the dedicated Messenger apps have basically taken over. A year ago I made a comment that no one texts anymore and basically that’s true, they just use these apps.
    12-09-17 02:49 PM
    Working sms/mms & BBM pretty heavy this weekend. Coordinating 19 coworkers and a couple dozen plant personnel for plant start up. VERY noisy... text communications are wonderful for such conditions. Especially using single handed 99! .
    My crew's 99s thru my 99 in left hand. Plant personnel (mostly, but not all, iPhones) directed mostly to Classic in right hand. Has provided spectacular efficiency during previous startups. This one's no exception. Started attempting to right hand K1. Reverted to right handing Classic just keep up. No problem now. K1 really, REALLY NEEDS a toolbelt!!! Lol.
    RaybanRJ and anon(10321802) like this.
    12-09-17 08:01 PM
    If anyone can draw, pls make a cartoon of Steve with the Bold in his left hand and Classic in his right, each of his eyes is looking to the respective direction of each phone, and sipping coffee up from the cup on the table with a straw.
    That is the picture which popped up in my mind after reading the post above, an eyes-wide-apart alien looking guy who is being multi-functioned.

It was different situation when Ralph turned into Anon and then Ray. It was sound, like old cassette tapes being played repeatedly over one another until Ralph, Anon, and Ray were blended into Ryphone. Ever since it always takes me a while to remember who Ray is.

Posted via CB10
    12-09-17 09:46 PM
    So I'm doing the great 2008 experiment. Work is in a regular slow period with the end of the semester, and so I pulled out the old Nokia flip phone and my Palm z22. I'm going to do a week. So far the craziest things are texting and getting used to Palm Graffiti again.

Texting was a shocker. I had totally forgotten that the flip didn't have threaded SMS. Every message is like a new email, and your replies are only in the sent folder. No connection between the 'ins' and the 'outs'. Lol.

And I can't for the life of me make a 'k' in Palm graffiti.
    rayporsche likes this.
    12-09-17 11:41 PM
8,754 ... 281282283284285 ...