Why don't I see my response above. Anyway in case it didn't go through or something I just wanted to say I wish the designers would actually design a phone where you did not need a case. Why can't they use the soft rubber like on the back of the 9900 around the sides and around part of the front also. I guess companies like Apple, now making glass on both sides again, love it when you have to buy their cases for $50 a pop, more if you want the leather cases.
    Samsung used to make some rugged-ized Android phones. I don't know if they still do. A rugged design with half-decent specs might be worthwhile.
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    10-03-17 10:21 PM
    Why don't I see my response above. Anyway in case it didn't go through or something I just wanted to say I wish the designers would actually design a phone where you did not need a case. Why can't they use the soft rubber like on the back of the 9900 around the sides and around part of the front also. I guess companies like Apple, now making glass on both sides again, love it when you have to buy their cases for $50 a pop, more if you want the leather cases.
    Have you heard of the rugged phones? Microsoft has a new..I want to say panasonic. Pretty durable looking.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-17 10:24 PM
    As long as they're not OtterBox defender sized phones ha ha. It's always a trade-off between pocket ability and being tough enough with good grip.
    10-03-17 10:26 PM
    Try CAT for rugged up phone.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-17 01:15 AM
    In days of yore blackBerry used to supply a holster with each phone. I was into holsters until one fell off my belt getting out of the car and I lost my 9900. I used a leather pouch after that. That pouch fell lots of time with no damage to the phone.

I agree with Ralph. Make phones that can take a fall. The new Essential phone is advertised as being able to withstand most drops.

I think it humorous that so many reviewers look at the design so closely when the average buyer will smack on a really ugly case.

Ralph, I love OEM cases. I would have gone for a leather case for my iPhone but it felt too slippery so I went for the silicon version. Most cases should last as long as the phone.

A buddy of mine has an ugly black and red monstrosity that looks like it was made from a tire tread. He got it off of Aliexpress for $1.30.
    10-04-17 01:20 AM
    There ARE phones designed not to require a case. I have such a phone - Pantech Pocket. It's old, runs Android 2.something, but I still use it as ereader. Look it up; this phone requires no case, because the case is built in.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900!
    10-04-17 01:46 AM
    In days of yore blackBerry used to supply a holster with each phone. I was into holsters until one fell off my belt getting out of the car and I lost my 9900. I used a leather pouch after that. That pouch fell lots of time with no damage to the phone.

I agree with Ralph. Make phones that can take a fall. The new Essential phone is advertised as being able to withstand most drops.

I think it humorous that so many reviewers look at the design so closely when the average buyer will smack on a really ugly case.

Ralph, I love OEM cases. I would have gone for a leather case for my iPhone but it felt too slippery so I went for the silicon version. Most cases should last as long as the phone.

A buddy of mine has an ugly black and red monstrosity that looks like it was made from a tire tread. He got it off of Aliexpress for $1.30.
    I find the Blackberry belt clip holsters to be of the best quality of any manufacturer. On the clip part, that swivels, the spring is so stiff it takes quite an effort to make it ever come off a belt (or so I thought) and that little "hook" is a smart design. I suppose if one leaned against something it could unhook and fall off but I have been lucky I guess. I still have the BB brand genuine leather case I got for my old iPhone 5C and it wasn't cheap at $39. I think it was for the Z10 or z30. It does fit the iPhone 7 but not if there is even a thin case in the device.

I got the Apple Silicone case free with my iPhone 7 and used it about a month. I read many reports of those cases tearing near the bottom corners where it is open for the charging port. But I just found it too difficult and "grippy" to get in and out of a cargo pocket all the time, even if the pocket was big and wide lol.

Cases are so plentiful and cheap off Amazon (better deal than eBay in my research) that I usually try about 4 cases before settling on one. I really like the Ringke Air Prism for $18 Cdn and after I sold it is when I figured out what the little "loop hook" on the bottom right corner was for...... namely to attach a lanyard!!!! If I knew that is what it was for I would have kept that case because in my Blackberry 9780 there was a little hook you could access on the side (if you took the battery off) to hang a strap/lanyard. I prefer a strap if shooting video off a bridge where you might drop the device or even just walking on a sidewalk where the device would fall HARD.

So in conclusion I guess I am trying to say it is hard to find the PERFECT device but I also would like manufacturers to have the loop for a lanyard, especially since the 9780 had it and I bet people never knew what it was for. But it was difficult using that on the 9780 and then going to the 9790 and then the 9900 and NOT having one after you felt so secure using one.

Apple certainly does charge a premium for their cases, but they are quality. Ps: if you check the Apple Store app they have a new colour every week it seems.

I don't think you can go wrong with Otterbox, but I really love the Commuter, for any device! Much thinner and with 2 layer protection it even fared as well as the beefier Defender model that I have seen in YouTube drop test vids. Always fun watching those.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    10-04-17 02:30 AM
    Weren't those "Rubberized Rugged" phones always an old style "Flip" like from about 2008? That's how I remember seeing them in the Sasktel or Rogers stores
    10-04-17 02:33 AM
    I don't like cases at all. And if I must use them, I want them to be of good quality and as thin as possible.

I much prefer holsters. The 9900 and Q10 were perfect for holstering, in my experience, but I'm hesitant to try anything larger than that. I think the size and weight of larger phones would make holstering awkward and cumbersome.

I'm still debating whether to try holstering my Classic or just get a Q10, which I want anyway for the swappable battery, size, ease of repair, etc.

I'm also pretty much decided on keeping my main SIM in a BlackBerry and getting a second line to use for testing and reviewing other phones for my YouTube channel.

I can't stand being away from a physical keyboard for long.

 BlackBerry | CLASSIC
    10-04-17 08:52 AM
    I loved the look and feel of the Playbook back in 2012. I thought that the z10 was going to be a mini Playbook. I think that would still be a good look on a Minimal bezel phone.

I seldom see BlackBerryPKB phones in the wild with a case. Maybe it is because they are being used to text rather than to consume media.
    10-04-17 11:14 AM
    I have to say I'm still kind of miffed that Rogers won't let people have a second Sim card with the same plan like I hear some American service providers do. What is the difference, they're getting their money and I don't share my plan with anyone else. I KNOW that I would be carrying the 9900 MORE because when I am out and about I do not need such a large device. If anything I got so reliant on the banking and finance apps that have become considered "essential" to many nowadays. But certain services or apps can be dealt with later in the day and left at home if need be. It is a trade-off.

I read that 80% of Canadians now use banking apps or through the internet and brick and mortar banks are already starting to close branches to save $. What if you need a loan, or get a mortgage for a new house? Where will you go? You still NEED to be able to see someone in person for this! This reminds me of Amazon's Whole Foods, we are getting one in my city and people are saying that they don't hire any staff so there is no overhead, and this will allow their prices to be drastically lower and it will basically destroy Safeway, Superstore and all the independents still in existence.

So it is amazing how apps have changed and are changing the landscape of the world we live in. And sometimes not for the better.
    10-04-17 12:05 PM
    I guess the way I see or consider cases is the rule of thumb is if it is a glass slab you pretty much need a case because if not you're going to be walking around like the multitudes of others I see with a spiderwebbed screen. But physical keyboard phones typically, and for some reason in my experience, seem to fit better in the hand maybe because they're a little thicker and there is more to grab onto. Maybe they seem thicker because there is a physical KB. Maybe it is psychological. And I know that in the past when I bought cases for my 9780 and 9900 I try a case but I just eventually got frustrated and took it off. I did drop my 9780 when I first got it in 2011 and the phone was just so light it just bounced a couple of times off the linoleum and that was it, no damage whatsoever. But I think that phones actually got more heavy now not only because they are big but because of the bigger batteries bigger chips, things like this. You know what they say about people, the bigger they are the harder they fall ;-)
    10-04-17 12:12 PM
    Cases interfere with battery pulls. Besides, the small phones I prefer to use don't need cases. I'll put a case on a big expensive phone (like passport) but otherwise, I don't use cases and rarely use screen protectors.

One more thing about removable batteries - they are GREAT to fix glitches. My ipod, with non-removable battery, glitched on me a few times years back, and there was nothing I could do, couldn't even power the thing off. When my 9900 glitches (usually due to crackberry), I just pull and reinsert the battery, and all is well.

10-04-17 01:19 PM
    Cases interfere with battery pulls. Besides, the small phones I prefer to use don't need cases. I'll put a case on a big expensive phone (like passport) but otherwise, I don't use cases and rarely use screen protectors.

One more thing about removable batteries - they are GREAT to fix glitches. My ipod, with non-removable battery, glitched on me a few times years back, and there was nothing I could do, couldn't even power the thing off. When my 9900 glitches (usually due to crackberry), I just pull and reinsert the battery, and all is well.

You do know about the "HOLD ALT, CAPS and DEL" keys to reboot right? That way you don't have to remove the battery causing wear and tear.

When you practice this a few times you can do it with 3 fingers from one hand in no time.
    10-04-17 01:26 PM
    Three finger reboot

10-04-17 01:35 PM
    I read that 80% of Canadians now use banking apps or through the internet and brick and mortar banks are already starting to close branches to save $. What if you need a loan, or get a mortgage for a new house? Where will you go? You still NEED to be able to see someone in person for this!
    I called my bank to set an appointment to renew my mortgage in the spring, and to my surprise, the person at the call center told me I could do it by phone. I was shocked, but they offered me a really nice rate right away so I said okay. They email you the papers, and then you sign and scan them, and send them back through this special secure portal link. I imagine it won't be long before you can set up (rather than just renew) a mortgage over the phone or via the Internet too. Maybe you already can.
    10-04-17 03:22 PM

I must be paranoid or OCD. I have a screen protector on my Bold 9900 and use either a holster or a case, depending on the circumstances! I still end up with light marks on the steel bezel, but bezels are cheap and not too difficult to replace....
    10-04-17 03:26 PM
    I called my bank to set an appointment to renew my mortgage in the spring, and to my surprise, the person at the call center told me I could do it by phone. I was shocked, but they offered me a really nice rate right away so I said okay. They email you the papers, and then you sign and scan them, and send them back through this special secure portal link. I imagine it won't be long before you can set up (rather than just renew) a mortgage over the phone or via the Internet too. Maybe you already can.
    It is convenient but my only concern is all the jobs that will be lost, but then there's also the "if you do not adapt you fall behind" type of thing.

I remember a long time ago they said that technology and computers will make it so that people wouldn't have to work and we would get paid lols The problem is now big companies only need to hire maybe one tech repair guy and then they can lay everybody else off.
    10-04-17 04:24 PM
    Question: this guy has a torch for sale but how can you use a case with a slider phone!!??
    10-04-17 08:32 PM
    I can't believe it's been a year since I ran into that guy that had a storm 2 I believe he said.

I'm sure that if anyone looked at our table that day they would've been teleported back about five years in history, or they would be laughing at us ;-)

10-05-17 12:38 PM
    Who bought the Flipout phone here? How's that going?

I had a chance to get a $7 palm Centro but hesitated. Was that a good phone?

Ralph, thanks for the reset code. I was not aware of it. Maybe it was listed in some manual, but being a typical guy, I don't read manuals.

OS 10.3.2.2530 on my Q10
    10-05-17 12:55 PM
    Who bought the Flipout phone here? How's that going?

I had a chance to get a $7 palm Centro but hesitated. Was that a good phone?

Ralph, thanks for the reset code. I was not aware of it. Maybe it was listed in some manual, but being a typical guy, I don't read manuals.

OS 10.3.2.2530 on my Q10
    Not sure about any manual haha but I think an Indonesian friend I had long ago described that trick to me. BB's were highly popular there at the time.

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    10-05-17 02:01 PM
    Anybody have the problem of their 9900 freezing on boot-up after a security wipe if you don't have BIS? find solution here BlackBerry Archives — Gsm & 4G LTE but not work....Mine worked fine with EE because they still offer BIS, but I ercently switched to BT and because they don't have BIS my phone freezes upon boot up after a wipe (at the stage where you are signing in etc....)
    10-05-17 02:49 PM
    I have a good friend with a storm and he will never get rid of it. He received it as a gift from his Mom and its the only phone he owns or plans to own.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
    10-05-17 06:34 PM
    I loved the look and feel of the Playbook back in 2012. I thought that the z10 was going to be a mini Playbook. I think that would still be a good look on a Minimal bezel phone.

I seldom see BlackBerryPKB phones in the wild with a case. Maybe it is because they are being used to text rather than to consume media.
    Some of us had great hopes for Z10 to be more of a "mini Playbook"... with Bridge to 9900. Especially PB's "remote" thru 9900. Z's screenestate added to 9900's data entry competency, tool belt and trackpad would have made a fabulous double fisted productivity combo!! In fact, some of us have mused about possibilities for a removable 9900 styled data entry handset that stows onto the back of the Z. A true "flip over" phone, when attached...??? Lol
    10-05-17 10:39 PM
8,754 ... 254255256257258 ...