For fun, I took out an old palm pilot M100 and started it up. I was missing a stylus so had to make do with a pen cap. The graffiti style of writing was difficult that way. I'll stick with the 9900 to handle PDA tasks.

But I hear battery life is , like, months!

Sent from my primary phone, a pristine BlackBerry 9900!
    09-20-17 05:46 PM
    The app doesn't have "LIKE" and now I am trying to remember if it ever did...
    09-20-17 05:50 PM
    Haha... its charms rest with how well it does the handful of things it does do. I concluded a long time ago that I'd never be satisfied with compromised solutions. Maintaining real time 24/7 availability is a BIG deal to me. Even after 6 years of trying quite a few options, 9900 is still THE old friend that manages to most competently collaborate WITH me and my priorities. Obviously, SOMEone at RIM comprehended what a grueling work day could be like. Maybe ML? Maybe feedback from 10s of millions of enterprise users? ??? Idk.

I do know that the compromises demanded by other solutions that "do more 2017 things" are unacceptable. Imo. Therefore, I find, and recommend at every chance, dual carry. I can carry "modern stuff" for "2017 things", on one hand. AND retain the superbly optimized communications masterpiece 99 represents in the other hand. Best of both worlds, imo. In fact, a certain politician might have been better advised to dual carry... lol.

While covering for half a dozen coworkers assisting with repairs in TX, FL, etc I've been toying with triple carry... a dedicated voice handset in pocket along with Classic in right hand and text master 99 in left... lol. Never too old for mental expansion... lol.
    Looks a lot like multitasking but is really a form of time sharing. If that makes sense. I might be "over the hill" but that downhill grade on the far side just helps get more done!!!
    I have tried the smartphone dual-wield on several occasions in the past and I found it cumbersome and less productive. I can't stand carrying anything in my back pants pockets and my other front pocket is occupied by my wallet, keys, and sunglasses (in a case). And I'd rather not carry around a bag if I don't have to.

The aspiring minimalist in me would rather have a single device that does most of what I need than lug around 2 devices - even if they might do more between the 2 of them.

And on the productivity thing, it's like my recent shift from a dual-monitor computer setup at work to a single monitor setup. I find I'm actually more productive because I'm not cluttering up a second monitor with stuff that might take my attention away from the task at hand.

Posted from my  Classic
    idssteve likes this.
    09-20-17 05:54 PM
    I only recently realized that with battery swaps, I didn't have to push the power button. All I needed to do was swap, wait a minute or two, and the 9900 would do the rest and power on by itself. Before, I kept tapping the power button and confusing it.

I don't know why people complain about the camera. By 2011 standards, it's above average. It still takes good pictures even now, one just needs to set up the conditions properly.

Ah yes, all it needs is insert batt. No buttons needed. I typically carry fresh spare in left pocket, spent battery in right pocket and then fresh spare from charger back to left pocket. A muscle memory habit. Typically, just pop fresh batt in and holster it. Vibration tells me when it's re-booted. Typically 2 minutes, 40 seconds.

99's camera is usable but lost auto focus in pursuit of "thin", afaik. Even my older 9650 has focus. Later cameras fitted to even thinner handsets (like Classic) have auto focus now. Not that 99's is that bad, it just lacks clarity for identifying terminal designations on control cabinet terminal blocks, for one example.
    09-20-17 06:06 PM
    I have tried the smartphone dual-wield on several occasions in the past and I found it cumbersome and less productive. I can't stand carrying anything in my back pants pockets and my other front pocket is occupied by my wallet, keys, and sunglasses (in a case). And I'd rather not carry around a bag if I don't have to.

The aspiring minimalist in me would rather have a single device that does most of what I need than lug around 2 devices - even if they might do more between the 2 of them.

And on the productivity thing, it's like my recent shift from a dual-monitor computer setup at work to a single monitor setup. I find I'm actually more productive because I'm not cluttering up a second monitor with stuff that might take my attention away from the task at hand.

Posted from my  Classic
    Yeah, every individual must find their individual path. I was quite the minimalist in a previous life. Cut handle from toothbrush for weight savings... lol. Still love my old 59 R26 BMW for its single cylinder simplicity. . I do get it. And it's a perfectly wondrously valid thing.

But then I've also always been a "pocket protector" type. Lol. Sometimes, simplicity gets defined as getting tasks addressed in real time so to minimize worry about forgetting things. An issue that doesn't improve with age. Lol.

I do venture out solo when occasion is appropriate. 99 is still capable enough to "get by" solo. On a slow night, at least. My best productivity is when both handsets are single handed friendly. As with 99/Classic. Other, bigger, stuff is just for fill in. I really like being able to check appointments, reservations, contact info, maps, etc in one hand without risking interrupting on going voice or text communications in other hand. Can't beat total screenestate, imo. I use, and really like, magnetic triggered belt holsters. Been carting SOMEthing on my belt since HP65 in college days. Lol. Pocket protector type, ya kno. Lol.

Of course keeping clients segregated to Classic and coworkers onto 99 helps sequester "communications styles" that might be best kept "in house". Lol.

Our CAD stations typically feature multiple monitors. Nice for multiple views, and/or spreadsheet collaboration.
    09-20-17 06:48 PM
    The app doesn't have "LIKE" and now I am trying to remember if it ever did...https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...74912477b0.jpg
    Hmm... dunno about the App... never used it. Native Browser heart shaped button worked till about a week ago, or so. Both 99 & Classic. Same with Opera on 99... except you had to "know" where it was. Lol. Also same with Browsie Browser on Classic on all user agents. Gonna try laptop sometime tomorrow.
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    09-20-17 07:31 PM
    And no, no button nor function for 'like' on my Bold.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    The little heart symbol isn't there for you?

Sent from my Passport using Forum Fiend OSP
    Attached Thumbnails 9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_20170920_211009.jpg  
    Last edited by Shuswap; 09-20-17 at 11:14 PM.
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    09-20-17 10:59 PM
    The app doesn't have "LIKE" and now I am trying to remember if it ever did...https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...74912477b0.jpg
    It's my recollection that the CB forums app on the 9900 does not have a like button. That was another reason why I chose to use the Tapatalk app on my Bold.

anon(9721108) likes this.
    09-21-17 02:39 AM
    Things are very clunky around here this morning... lol. Hoping my numerous "novels" haven't overloaded CB servers?? Haha. Typing on 99 is SOooo addictive... maybe i need rehab? Lol

Here's a shot of Mushroom Daddy's post# 6244 thru Opera... you can see the little heart on Opera as it appeared after clicking "it". It only shows up as a blank button while hovering until it's clicked. Not a problem once you learn where to hover. Lol. You can see that it added the "like" to the post and then popped up the error. Refresh reveals the "like" didn't persist.

Advance OS & Led screenshot function doesn't work in Opera... no access to the menu. which is why this is a photo from Classic. Lol. AOS screenshot works fine in Native Browser and nearly any app that uses "traditional" menu. That's life on 99 terms. Lol.
    Attached Thumbnails 9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_20170921_062420.jpg  
    09-21-17 05:39 AM
    Things are very clunky around here this morning... lol. Hoping my numerous "novels" haven't overloaded CB servers?? Haha.
    I've tried to clean up my multiple posts, so hopefully things look a bit better now. I think the problem was with the Crackberry servers, I had tried to post from several devices without success _ then all of a sudden .... total madness.

Anyway, the point is I have the option to 'like' posts from the Bold using Tapatalk v1.4.7.9 (not available on the CB Forums app). BUT, like idssteve I am currently unable to 'like' a post using the Mac desktop; it returns an error message from 'forums.crackberry.com'
    09-21-17 06:34 AM
    The gremlins are active this morning. It should hopefully be back to normal shortly.
    idssteve likes this.
    09-21-17 06:37 AM
    . ... you can see the little heart on Opera as it appeared after clicking "it". It only shows up as a blank button while hovering until it's clicked. Not a problem once you learn where to hover. Lol. You can see that it added the "like" to the post and then popped up the error. Refresh reveals the "like" didn't persist.
    That's exactly it!
    09-21-17 06:39 AM
    The little heart symbol isn't there for you?

No, no heart for me on the Bold with CB app

Things are very clunky around here this morning... lol. Hoping my numerous "novels" haven't overloaded CB servers?? Haha. Typing on 99 is SOooo addictive... maybe i need rehab? Lol
    Is that why you've been mentioning about not going to retire for there would be too much time with the Bold? Lol

Posted via CB10
    09-21-17 08:26 AM
    I've tried to clean up my multiple posts, so hopefully things look a bit better now. I think the problem was with the Crackberry servers, I had tried to post from several devices without success _ then all of a sudden .... total madness.

Anyway, the point is I have the option to 'like' posts from the Bold using Tapatalk v1.4.7.9 (not available on the CB Forums app). BUT, like idssteve I am currently unable to 'like' a post using the Mac desktop; it returns an error message from 'forums.crackberry.com'
    No need to "clean it up," besides we are keeping the memory alive for the legendary and most loved device at the same time as reminiscing with Steve how eloquently he writes the best posts to keep us hooked
    09-21-17 09:47 AM
    The gremlins are active this morning. It should hopefully be back to normal shortly.
    Nice job of gremlin chasing! "Likes" work, now.
    Ecm likes this.
    09-21-17 11:04 AM
    Yup. Seems so.
    idssteve and David Tyler like this.
    09-21-17 11:28 AM
    No, no heart for me on the Bold with CB app

Is that why you've been mentioning about not going to retire for there would be too much time with the Bold? Lol

Posted via CB10
    Haha... Crackberry servers might run out of space pretty quickly, if I get a bunch of sit around time... lol. Every time I "retire" (4 times now?) I'm not home 2 weeks b4 the wife is hinting maybe I need to get a little work.... lol. She's always claimed that the secret to success of our 40 year marriage was that I was so rarely home... haha. Of course, how does one ever retire from work you love?
    09-21-17 12:40 PM
    I do wonder how much longer carriers will support BIS and how much longer BlackBerry will keep the server running.

Posted from my  Classic
    idssteve likes this.
    09-21-17 02:29 PM
    I hope the BIS servers keep running a long time. I use AT&T, and my 9900 is frequently the only phone I carry. I have a backup Q10, but it just doesn't compare to the 9900. And no trackpad!

I feel the heart of the 9900 is its trackpad, even more so than the wonderful keyboard. The trackpad is what makes things so swift and smooth on the 9900.

If AT&T and BB will keep the BIS service running, I will keep using 9900's until I can't find one anymore!

idssteve likes this.
    09-21-17 05:06 PM
    Haha... Crackberry servers might run out of space pretty quickly, if I get a bunch of sit around time... lol. Every time I "retire" (4 times now?) I'm not home 2 weeks b4 the wife is hinting maybe I need to get a little work.... lol. She's always claimed that the secret to success of our 40 year marriage was that I was so rarely home... haha. Of course, how does one ever retire from work you love?
    40 years? That's it? . Get this yesterday at the hospital I ran into a man who turned 100 on September 13, his wife is 98 and I met the daughter who is 75!!!!! He has been married 75 years and when the nurses asked "how do you live so long?" He said "I do what my wife tells me"
    idssteve likes this.
    09-21-17 05:08 PM
    I do wonder how much longer carriers will support BIS and how much longer BlackBerry will keep the server running.

Posted from my  Classic
    Yep. A valid wondering. Next week? Next year?? Tomorrow? Idk. My crystal ball's no clearer than anyone else's. Lol. I know that my crew activated 2 9930s onto VZW last week. No questions, no issues. I have clients around the planet that still lean on BIS very heavily. Mostly 99s. That's just a very tiny sampling, tho.

AND vzw has demonstrated their willingness to alter plans on very short notice. I'm still irritated at the voice mail changes they made last spring. I received NO warning prior to voicemail just failing... Ug. It's possible they might pull the plug on BIS with no advanced warning. I've been a loyal vzw customer for 15+ yrs but I'd consider dropping them if they dropped bis without at least a week of warning. You'd think they know that but who knows WHAT they know. Lol.

Of course a possible scenario might involve unexpected infrastructure failure? It's not unreasonable that they might pull the plug rather than invest in much repair, under that scenario. ??

My "smart guys" are taking a deeper look at BES. We sure hated it, way back, but... ???

The comfortable speed and precision 9900 provides to typing itself makes it a possible candidate for use as a data entry handset... maybe playbook style linked thru wifi or bluetooth into a K1 or monster slab of some kind??

99 is just TOO good at data entry to surrender that productivity TOO readily. Lol.
    09-21-17 06:27 PM
    Just Wish BOLD9900, would be released with BBOS10 and SDXC support.

Still here i am rocking my bold9900 with a 32gb SDHC card
    09-22-17 06:08 AM
    Yeah, 32GB can hold a lot but SDXC is better. Lol. SOooo many of us have begged, pleaded, threatened, etc, etc for TRUE upgrade to Bold for SO long.... yet, each step of the way we get told: "no, you really don't know what you want... BB knows better...". Yet, how has that worked for BB? ???

If the "know it all know nothings" had launched Q10 with Classic's toolbelt and 10.3.3... back in 2012, this whole scenario might have been VASTLY different... oh well, who are WE? We just use the stuff... lol.
    09-22-17 06:53 AM
    I like the idea of support for larger MicroSD cards, but not BB10. Not that it matters, since there's zero chance of a Bold 9900 upgrade.

But, I really like the GUI of OS7. In many ways, the multitasking workflow is better than any other OS, and it's best features are not replicated on OS10, or any other OS. It's unique. Kind of the Alt-Tab approach to multitasking on mobile (in fact, try holding down the Alt key and push the back button a few times -- true Alt-Tab switching on your Bold!).

I'm repeating myself from somewhere in the bazillion posts in this thread, but build me an Android ROM with an OS7 launcher, put it on updated Bold 9900 hardware, and you can have my money.

Last edited by Shuswap; 09-22-17 at 09:34 AM.
    09-22-17 09:07 AM
    Would it be cheaper for Blackberry to Develop a BBOs 8.0 ? for a new enhanced BOLD990 with SDXC support? or is that a no go?

As the other guy said (idssteve)

Blackberry where really really stupid to make/release a Q10 without a toolbet... then we get the classic? which is awesome but jesus christ no removable battery and a bit on the big side......

They really need to bring back the BOLD9900 and only blackberry can make it no other companies.

(i still get the odd looks on subway buses etc or even at cafe's when i whip out my bold 9900 lmao)

--
    Anyway.. here is what a future bold 9900 needs to be (as blackberry own the copyright/name to the bold still)

- Same BOLD9900 Form Factor (exact same size) it's not too small not too big *just right*
    - Dual or Quad Core CPu 1.4Ghz to 2Ghz
    - 10 or 13 mp REAR CAMERA
    - 8 mp front camera
    - BBOS 10 (if not? BBOS 8.0?) same as BBOS 7) just edited/tweaked a bit.
    - SDXC support

I mean in all seriousness... how hard can that be ? it's possible... and i am sure it will sell (christ i'll buy 100 of them at launch no joke)
    idssteve likes this.
    09-22-17 09:27 AM
7,951 ... 248249250251252 ...