Still WhatsApp won't work on my Blackberry 9900 OS 7.1 .....
    06-24-17 03:22 AM

And there are still probably more people on Legacy devices needing whatsapp than all the new BB Buyers combined. What were the latest figures we heard on this? Out of the 20 million or so global BlackBerry users a couple of months ago, supposedly over 10 million we're on Legacy. I would've paid a dollar or $.99cents to have kept whatsapp running on my 99.

Zuckerberg is so huge with his companies he doesn't care about the little guy like BlackBerry, but what about now if BlackBerry recovers. No one thinks of that.
    And then there's the theory that companies like FB don't want legacy type devices out there with harder security to crack. End user privacy isn't their thing. Try connecting Gmail to a legacy device and enjoy the hoops required. A device like the 9900 in 2017 is perfect for a specific clientele that knows they are going without the millions of apps for a more focused and disciplined communications experience. Privately.

What bugs me with this whole "app development" argument is that it costs nothing to keep an old app running, especially on a stagnant OS. BB7 hasn't changed for years, and there is no need to change or "develop" Whatsapp for BlackBerry devices. Perpetuating that myth keeps the consumer believing their tech is old and outdated when it's perfectly capable in it's originally designed purpose. I refuse to let manufacturers like Apple persuade me that my perfectly good hardware is obsolete, and I will definitely not let an app developer like Facebook try the same.

 C L A S S I C • SQC100-3/10.3.3.2205 on Verizon
    06-24-17 02:34 PM
    Our 99s just don't demand full enough "every waking moment" attention from both hands, both eyes, both brain hemispheres... for "competitive advertising ratings"... lol.
    06-24-17 03:18 PM
    Regarding whatsapp on 99. Recently I was reading WA comments on BlackBerry world and one comment was stating that in order to get WA working, you need to set the date to 2016. So I have tried this, and it worked, I was able to set it up.

Edit: after that, you can set your date back and enjoy your 99! It worked for me, it should work also for others.
    You are the original Whatsapp Whisperer, thanks so much for this tip, i used a December 2016 date to get it to work and it's now working again on the old versions 2.16.89 that's in BlackBerry World, i'm so happy again haha, thank you.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-24-17 05:30 PM
    Regarding whatsapp on 99. Recently I was reading WA comments on BlackBerry world and one comment was stating that in order to get WA working, you need to set the date to 2016. So I have tried this, and it worked, I was able to set it up.

Edit: after that, you can set your date back and enjoy your 99! It worked for me, it should work also for others.
    You are the original Whatsapp Whisperer, this worked perfectly for me, i used a December 2016 date and it worked for me, i downloaded the 2.16.89 version in BlackBerry World and it's working for me so that's great, i can wait until 2.17.12 is live in blackberry World now, thank you.

06-24-17 05:33 PM
    And then there's the theory that companies like FB don't want legacy type devices out there with harder security to crack. End user privacy isn't their thing. Try connecting Gmail to a legacy device and enjoy the hoops required. A device like the 9900 in 2017 is perfect for a specific clientele that knows they are going without the millions of apps for a more focused and disciplined communications experience. Privately.

What bugs me with this whole "app development" argument is that it costs nothing to keep an old app running, especially on a stagnant OS. BB7 hasn't changed for years, and there is no need to change or "develop" Whatsapp for BlackBerry devices. Perpetuating that myth keeps the consumer believing their tech is old and outdated when it's perfectly capable in it's originally designed purpose. I refuse to let manufacturers like Apple persuade me that my perfectly good hardware is obsolete, and I will definitely not let an app developer like Facebook try the same.

 C L A S S I C • SQC100-3/10.3.3.2205 on Verizon
    You are right, it's hard for facebook to use the spying technologies in the legacy devices so they rather not support them, especially for Chat Messenger, last year they banned all third party apps who had access to using the Messenger feature, and BlackBerry's facebook chat app and original app was part of this for some reason, and it's not like they don't have blackberry facebook users. Gmail can seem like a big problem, but there is one work around for it that is the official way, it's detailed on blackberry's website and i have a post on here called How To Fix Gmail Issue with the link to the page with all the steps and the link to verify the gmail account. The only limitations the legacy devices have are because of the app developers and owners deciding to not allow legacy users use their apps anymore, if the apps worked for many years without a problem there is nothing stopping the apps from continuing to work without updates, take Twitter for example, their official app hasn't been updated in 2 years and it still works 100% like it did back in 2011 when i first got my Bold 9900, it's the companies that get greedy, and it's 2 facebook owned companies who have done a lot of damage.

06-24-17 06:30 PM
    You are right, it's hard for facebook to use the spying technologies in the legacy devices so they rather not support them, especially for Chat Messenger, last year they banned all third party apps who had access to using the Messenger feature, and BlackBerry's facebook chat app and original app was part of this for some reason, and it's not like they don't have blackberry facebook users. Gmail can seem like a big problem, but there is one work around for it that is the official way, it's detailed on blackberry's website and i have a post on here called How To Fix Gmail Issue with the link to the page with all the steps and the link to verify the gmail account. The only limitations the legacy devices have are because of the app developers and owners deciding to not allow legacy users use their apps anymore, if the apps worked for many years without a problem there is nothing stopping the apps from continuing to work without updates, take Twitter for example, their official app hasn't been updated in 2 years and it still works 100% like it did back in 2011 when i first got my Bold 9900, it's the companies that get greedy, and it's 2 facebook owned companies who have done a lot of damage.
    Facebook / WhatsApp only revenue generating product is YOU, so it is understandable that they do everything they can to lock in users and grab as much data as possible. Not that it makes it right...

WhatsApp used to have an XMPP interface. Why did they get rid of it? Because it allowed ANY XMPP client to connect which means it would be very easy to switch to another chat server/client that supported the open standard. Can't have that, can you?

BlackBerry is horrible because it gives the user so much control over what apps can do. The other day I had to deal with disabling WhatsApp on a Nexus phone. I was absolutely shocked at how much permissions and control over the phone it "required". From NFC to wireless control and all manner of weird things completely not associated with running a messenger. Great on Google for listing everything, but there was no way of disabling any of it.
    06-25-17 11:20 AM
    That's really funny. I thought I was the only one still interested in the 9900. I am using one now, I love it. It's a really good solid quality phone. Email is the best. I also have an iPhone for the "fun and games" lol. But my main device for communication is my Legacy bold 9900!

My only annoyance is that I couldn't sync my existing gmail contacts but... desktop sync doesn't work for me I use a mac.
    06-25-17 01:16 PM
    You are the original Whatsapp Whisperer, this worked perfectly for me, i used a December 2016 date and it worked for me, i downloaded the 2.16.89 version in BlackBerry World and it's working for me so that's great, i can wait until 2.17.12 is live in blackberry World now, thank you.

I'm glad it worked for you. You're welcome

Posted via my q10
    06-25-17 04:05 PM
    I was too quick on the trackpad and the date was set to 2015. WhatsApp came back with 'You've set the date back too far'. LOL.

BTW, the other Bold in my family took a glass of beer and got totally drunken, and passed out. It is now staying in emergency care, preserved in pieces and covered in crystal balls of silica. It will be a couple more days before I will know if it will recover or stay in a comma permanently, the later is more likely the case. The beer somehow got between the front glass and the LCD which make it impossible to get the liquid out. The mainboard and body are OK. A transplant is almost imminent and I've started looking for a spare screen assembly already.
    Adding to the pain is the brutal fact that I have to stay off beer and any alcoholic drink to avoid certain health problem. It's been many months and I want a beer so much that I can sniff out a beer from a mile away. And my big brother just splashed one glass full right there under my nose and on my phone.
    Lesson learned: beer and phone don't share the same table top.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-17 12:16 PM

Good find !
    Worked like a charm !
    ( on Storm2 / OS 5 )

Posted via CB10
    06-26-17 01:47 PM
    Good find !
    Worked like a charm !
    ( on Storm2 / OS 5 )

Posted via CB10
    Wow it even works on OS5 too? thats amazing, so i guess that's how you fix the "Phone is not supported, switch to a supported model" issue. I wonder if that would fix the issue after Dec 31st if they decide not to extend the service again? sounds like it might, unless they block messages like what they did with Facebook, but now this trick has me thinking maybe it would fix the facebook issue too if the date was set back before September 2016 when the messenger worked on the legacy blackberry OS.

06-26-17 05:27 PM
    In my case changing the date does not help - WA keep says me that please change the date to current.
    06-27-17 06:58 AM
    In my case changing the date does not help - WA keep says me that please change the date to current.
    Have you tried registering whatsapp with your SIM in an android phone ?
    Once setup you can transfer the SIM to the BB.
    ( In the past ) When starting whatsapp the first time it would ask " Do you want to transfer to this device ? "
    06-27-17 07:44 AM
    Can you try with a date in Dec 2016 and on wifi only and see what would happen?

Posted via CB10
    06-28-17 05:08 AM

Posted via CB10
    Yes, I tried Dec 2016 and wi-fi only also.:/
    06-28-17 05:43 AM

Posted via CB10
    I got mine working by changing the date before i even downloaded whatsapp, then when it told me to change the date i picked 2 different dates in June 2016 and then just tried in Dec 2016 and it worked for me.

06-28-17 09:28 AM
    Yes, I tried Dec 2016 and wi-fi only also.:/
    Ah well, too bad.
    Don't know what would work for your phone now. Mine is not on a BIS plan, had been wiped and factory reset when received it, WhatsApp was not installed when it arrived, set the date back before downloading WhatsApp, set the date back to 2015 accidentally thus when started for the first time it did not work and got a message to reset the date, reset the date to one in Dec 2016, restarted WhatsApp and it worked.

Posted via CB10
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    06-29-17 08:56 AM
    I got mine working by changing the date before i even downloaded whatsapp, then when it told me to change the date i picked 2 different dates in June 2016 and then just tried in Dec 2016 and it worked for me.

Yep, I changed the date before downloaded WhatsApp as well.

Posted via CB10
    06-29-17 08:58 AM
    Yep, I changed the date before downloaded WhatsApp as well.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, Whatsapp will recognize it if it's downloaded with that date, i don't think it will work if you download it and then change the date because it will be able to detect the date was changed after installation, it is a facebook run app now so it has all these technologies. It will take some different techniques for some phones but i think the date change will work every time, but it might take a few different date changes for it to work, i wish i had known about this trick in April because i was 2 months without whatsapp on my blackberry after having to re-install my OS on my previous Bold because of network issues.

06-29-17 09:01 AM
    Our 99s just don't demand full enough "every waking moment" attention from both hands, both eyes, both brain hemispheres... for "competitive advertising ratings"... lol.
    I like a device that was designed to serve _my_ needs -- not Google's.

BTW, Steve: Thanks for the tip. even though my battery pins seemed spotless, cleaning them was coincident with my "blazing through the charge" problem going away!

06-29-17 07:01 PM
    I like a device that was designed to serve _my_ needs -- not Google's.

BTW, Steve: Thanks for the tip. even though my battery pins seemed spotless, cleaning them was coincident with my "blazing through the charge" problem going away!

Google provides proficient search results. That's the ONLY thing positive i'll say about them or their influence. Lol.

Good that your battery is working again. Doesn't take much contact resistance to dwindle 4 volts. Thinest film of deoxit gold sometimes works miracles for single digit voltages, too.
    06-29-17 11:03 PM
    I just got my dad set up with a BIS contract now that he's left his job and had to return his company phone. Gave him the old 9900 I had lying around, as he had fond memories of the various BlackBerry devices he was issued when he worked for the police. Set up went swimmingly, and he now has all his emails being pushed to the device as the good god of phones intended. The joys of free BIS!
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    07-01-17 07:18 PM
    Happy Canada Day, and Fourth of July for my American friends. I'll be travelling soon and I'm packing the 9900 in my bag.
    07-01-17 10:50 PM
    Is anyone's 99 bold a little heat-sensitive? I find that if i'm reading outdoors (perfect visibility even in direct sunlight, btw), and if I drift my thumb too close to the trackpad without touching it on a VERY hot day, sometimes the page will flip anyways.

The fix is easy, keep my thumb further away. Otherwise, my 9930 is a beauty I love.

Signature: Still typing away on my Passport SE!
    07-04-17 05:24 PM
8,754 ... 237238239240241 ...