I didn't see where that author even mentioned pkb shortcuts...?
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    05-30-17 11:27 PM
    I didn't see where that author even mentioned pkb shortcuts...?
    The guy shouldn't even be writing about blackberries since he knows nothing about them, nice biased article on his part.
    05-31-17 12:00 AM
    The guy shouldn't even be writing about blackberries since he knows nothing about them, nice biased article on his part.
    And the fingerprint sensor. :-)

Owning both a Bold and Z10 I actually prefer the VKB and screen size of the Z10 but the physical form and tool-belt of the Bold.

Erm...

We all like different stuff, of course, and at the moment there's a still a lot of choice in NOS and re-furbed BlackBerries. £500 for K1 is just nuts, keyboard or not.

Like most of the other 'die-hards' in this thread, moving to Android or huge phones doesn't offer any advantages for me, but for some, it's the future.

In a restaurant yesterday seated next to two young females on an adjacent table. They both had huge slab phones out on the table, at which they peered and poked constantly throughout the meal, without speaking once to each other.

Wondered why they bothered leaving the house. The future is here and it looks horrible.

Bah! Humbug!
    anon(9721108) and Doug_M like this.
    05-31-17 03:50 AM
    And the fingerprint sensor. :-)

Owning both a Bold and Z10 I actually prefer the VKB and screen size of the Z10 but the physical form and tool-belt of the Bold.

Erm...

We all like different stuff, of course, and at the moment there's a still a lot of choice in NOS and re-furbed BlackBerries. £500 for K1 is just nuts, keyboard or not.

Like most of the other 'die-hards' in this thread, moving to Android or huge phones doesn't offer any advantages for me, but for some, it's the future.

In a restaurant yesterday seated next to two young females on an adjacent table. They both had huge slab phones out on the table, at which they peered and poked constantly throughout the meal, without speaking once to each other.

Wondered why they bothered leaving the house. The future is here and it looks horrible.

Bah! Humbug!
    They were probably texting each other or using WhatsApp ;-)
    05-31-17 03:53 AM
    They were probably texting each other or using WhatsApp ;-)
    Yep, why waste energy operating mouth muscles?

There's a piece in today's Guardian about going back to the original Nokia 3310. (It's not worth linking to.) The upshot is what we all know; smartphones are more useful than dumb-ones. Up to a point.

Like in the post above this one, with the baffling '31 days in April' screenshot.

Seems to me that when stuff gets too smart it becomes dumb. So BB7/10 kind of hits the point where the handset is hugely useful without taking over.

I used my BlackBerry to fix a petrol lawnmower yesterday. Now you don't read that everyday on CrackBerry. (Took photo of bent spring to LawnMower Repair Man. )

Thrilling, huh?

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-spring.jpg
    05-31-17 06:06 AM
    Ah yes, the old governor spring trick... we used to bend those intentionally to gain a little rpm from the engine. Back in an ancient youth... lol. B&S engine life shortened drastically as rpm exceeded 5000. You've been warned, young hot rodder. . Of course B&S life is worthless at zero rpm so... haha.

Also agree, those 31 day April's are amazing... quite the calendar App... still seeking the "Time Travel" check box. Lol.
    Imagine my surprise to notice that during a project scheduling meeting that included VIP Clients! No one else noticed so I just feigned "Classic difficulties" and fired up the old PlayBook hdmi and continued on with old99. Our IT guy whispered something like "you gotta turn loose of the past SOMEday, Steve...". Lol. I just winked and then showed him the calendar bug after the meeting. He hasn't accused me of clinging to the past, since. Lol.

Of course these new fangled contraptions frequently do EVERYthing but WORK. They're too smart for work. Lol. The future has been here and past. These two handed monster sized contraptions are too reminiscent of the two handed bag phone days, imo. Lol. What's next? Phones with wheels and step ladders to reach "send"? Lol.

Ultimately, a distant future belongs to efficiency. Once the "mass madness" gets distracted into other directions... next millennium...?? lol.
    05-31-17 08:54 AM
    Look closely... which date is selected? How many days are in April??
    Yep! Perfect example of what drove people nuts. WHY couldn't they have just recycled the BBOS calendar..??

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    05-31-17 09:54 AM
    I also agree that phone use while dining is an etiquette still developing. I'm a frequent offender but there are certain rules:

1). NEVER while dining with the wife!! Unless, of course, we hear unique tone & led notifying of a child or grandchild calling.

2). OK during business dinners so long as topic is relevant to the business discussion. Frequently done to collect relevant info and/or opinions from coworkers or venders... relevant to the business topic.

3). Dining alone. Typical of traveling for work. I learned proficiency with slide rule in left hand while doing homework over dinner in highscool. Old habit followed me thru college & grad school with HP RPN calculators... now with smart phones...

I think a forum dedicated to smartphone etiquette might be useful... if not already out there???

Of course, single handed friendly 9900 is a PERFECT communications tool while dining ... ALONE... imo. lol.
    05-31-17 10:04 AM
    Yep! Perfect example of what drove people nuts. WHY couldn't they have just recycled the BBOS calendar..??

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    I can't believe anyone in the BB10 team ever even used a BBOS device... imo. Likely result of ML's desire for a COMPLETELY fresh start... after reading a silly book, it seems. Lol.

Problem is, you can't claim to have improved on the past by breaking from it. Can't build on something that's been broken. Lol.

ML wasn't just assembling a new OS, from complete scratch, he was virtually assembling a new company with a new business model, imo. Almost completely from scratch! A BIG undertaking for tech monsters like Apple & Google! Something RIM simply lacked resources to pull off. Without leveraging their superior experience, at least. Experience they voluntarily abandoned, thanks to a silly book... imo.
    05-31-17 10:17 AM
    Ah yes, the old governor spring trick...
    Cannot believe that a post on a Blackberry forum about a wounded lawn-mower brings up a diagnosis of a 'hot-rodded' governor-spring. (It was the governor-spring.)

It's pretty odd to me that I can still get parts for that 2005 mower. But looking around Ebay, like you do, and wondering what phone to stockpile for my remaining days on the planet, (Bold, Z10, or Q10?) the place is awash with BB bits; cases, innards, screens, batteries.

So I guess you can take your pick of the BlackBerry of Tomorrow, as long as it's a Bold, Z10, Q10, etc. Build-Your-Own.
    06-01-17 01:09 AM
    I can't believe anyone in the BB10 team ever even used a BBOS device... imo. Likely result of ML's desire for a COMPLETELY fresh start... after reading a silly book, it seems. Lol.
    A couple years back, a guy mentioned in one of the BB10 forums that Thor put together a new team for BB10 development and did not use any from the OS7 team. BlackBerry wanted something new.
    That explained the disappearance of many useful features from the legacy OS when Z10 first came out. I guess that killed the Z10 and almost BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-17 05:46 AM
    Cannot believe that a post on a Blackberry forum about a wounded lawn-mower brings up a diagnosis of a 'hot-rodded' governor-spring. (It was the governor-spring.)

It's pretty odd to me that I can still get parts for that 2005 mower. But looking around Ebay, like you do, and wondering what phone to stockpile for my remaining days on the planet, (Bold, Z10, or Q10?) the place is awash with BB bits; cases, innards, screens, batteries.

So I guess you can take your pick of the BlackBerry of Tomorrow, as long as it's a Bold, Z10, Q10, etc. Build-Your-Own.
    Haha... maybe that's the thing about BB users, particularly in this thread. WE have a life outside of the "little glass virtual window".... lol. Our phones are tools of leverage to assist that life. Rather that dominate it. That's a big part of what I perceive as a dominant theme in this thread, at least, imo.

My earliest experience with small engine "governor springs" (actually performing the function of "speeder spring" in more sophisticated Woodward, Marquette, Pickering, & other ball head hydraulic & mechanical governors) was at less than a decade of life on this planet. Dad brought home a Tecumseh powered rotary mower (mid 60s) that would bog down on the early morning spring time damp grass that I, and siblings, we're expected to mow before school. We learned that mower's governor was limiting our progress and found ways to defeat that limitation... We also found out why that limitation had been imposed once con rod "big end" and "small end" parted articulation... due to inertia generated by our UN-governed excessive overspeed... lol. We had learned lessons embedded within the eternal tension between governing and anarchy. .

Dad just brought home parts & tools & told us: "you broke it, you fix it"... hahahaha.. third time was the charm. Lol. AND, like many youth of the day, our "play" developed skills relevant to the life we would likely experience. Wasn't long before we were seeking ways to power wheels with internal combustion... lol. And, ultimately, one of my clients likely made the "governor spring" in your photo... life is funny that way... lol.

No doubt that spring will one day (if not already) be obsoleted by electronic governors and kids will be seeking electronic pathways around limitations imposed by engineers, like myself, lol. Sometimes the more things change, the more they stay the same?? Idk. I also worry about how youth today will learn skills of reality (like growing food??) thru the too ubiquitous "small glass virtual window"...???

The common characteristic, between Bold, Z10, Q10 and mower parts is their replace ability... Some might believe that swapping in a fresh battery into a dead battery Classic is as simple as "sending it in" but how do you wipe data on a dead Classic before sending it to strangers for repair? SOME of us must burn at least a tank of gas before asking directions... lol. Nvrkno where that lost turn will take you, in life....
    06-01-17 06:13 AM

Building a phone out of spare parts is a satisfying adventure, if you can stand the eBay waittm.
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    06-01-17 07:50 AM
    Here's something I didn't know about the Bold until today: https://www.reddit.com/r/blackberry/...sreen_feature/
    06-01-17 09:16 AM
    Hi All,

My Q10 (Badly dependent on android apps for daily need) had water damage and died completely. Its not responding with complete black screen.

Now I'm left with 9900 and 9790

Facing some challenges and depending on my laptop if I need to order food, recharge mobile, book train/flight tickets

But still I'm not eager to buy a new one. Let me see how it goes

Veera
    06-01-17 11:35 AM
    Got my 9900 a month ago on Tracfone ATT card without BIS. Love the keyboard for texting and opera mini for data savings. Also have my Bible on there through YouVersion. Only thing lacking is email and opera is very buggy. Also cannot install Tapatalk or my Kindle on it.

It has replaced my 4s as my personal phone. Have a 6s through work.
    06-01-17 12:36 PM
    Got my 9900 a month ago on Tracfone ATT card without BIS. Love the keyboard for texting and opera mini for data savings. Also have my Bible on there through YouVersion. Only thing lacking is email and opera is very buggy. Also cannot install Tapatalk or my Kindle on it.

It has replaced my 4s as my personal phone. Have a 6s through work.
    Have you installed the Anworm service book? It allows the BlackBerry browser to work over a regular cellular data plan without BIS. The instructions are in post #9 of this thread: https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...ut-bis-996682/

It often works where Opera fails (and vice versa) although it does use a bit more bandwidth.
    06-01-17 02:27 PM
    Here's something I didn't know about the Bold until today: https://www.reddit.com/r/blackberry/...sreen_feature/
    Not a feature that I recognise, have often used my 9900 touchscreen with it laying on a table .... or at least I think so, might have to go and check/test now

EDIT: tested and as expected, touchscreen works as normal without holding 9900.
    Last edited by mushroom_daddy; 06-02-17 at 12:26 AM.
    06-01-17 03:02 PM
    Hmm I sure hope that isn't a defect
    06-01-17 09:29 PM
    I figured it was time to come down on one side of the fence or the other; Z10 versus Bold 9900 with BIS.

There isn't much about the phones which hasn't been said already, so it's down to aesthetics; Z10 is black glass slab, Bold 9900 is a sleek aluminium (aloominum if you're in the USA) highly engineered machine, with a heritage which goes back to erm, some time ago. And a PKB.

So we are on a fortnight of Bold-ing, after a couple of months on the Z10.

Naturally, it's important to add some Bold phone bling. So I picked up a genuine Aston Martin Bold case for two BME's (Big Mac Equivalent) with free postage.

I think it came from a clear-out at Q's underground headquarters, after James Bond moved to a Sony Experia in 'Spectre.'

New from Aston Martin, the case is £79, 26 Big Macs. I didn't pay £79 for my last car, never mind a phone case.

I'm going to try those service book hacks to bypass BIS, so we will see how it all spins out.

Meanwhile, here's my new Aston Martin. (Ebay Pic.)

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-case.jpg
    06-02-17 02:58 AM
    Also cannot install Tapatalk or my Kindle on it.
    The OTA link for Tapatalk in this thread works: https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...ut-bis-996682/
    06-02-17 05:18 AM
    I figured it was time to come down on one side of the fence or the other; Z10 versus Bold 9900 with BIS.

There isn't much about the phones which hasn't been said already, so it's down to aesthetics; Z10 is black glass slab, Bold 9900 is a sleek aluminium (aloominum if you're in the USA) highly engineered machine, with a heritage which goes back to erm, some time ago. And a PKB.

So we are on a fortnight of Bold-ing, after a couple of months on the Z10.

Naturally, it's important to add some Bold phone bling. So I picked up a genuine Aston Martin Bold case for two BME's (Big Mac Equivalent) with free postage.

I think it came from a clear-out at Q's underground headquarters, after James Bond moved to a Sony Experia in 'Spectre.'

New from Aston Martin, the case is £79, 26 Big Macs. I didn't pay £79 for my last car, never mind a phone case.

I'm going to try those service book hacks to bypass BIS, so we will see how it all spins out.

Meanwhile, here's my new Aston Martin. (Ebay Pic.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	case.jpg 
Views:	355 
Size:	142.6 KB 
ID:	424388
    Cool! Always been a big fan of Aston Martin... had no clue they were into cell cases... 26BMs is steep for my tastes, also... lol.

Just a gentle correction tho, the Bold's frame is actually stainless steel. Much more durable than "alu-MIN-ium" could ever be. A clue into the durable future RIM had visualized for their flagship "service fee revenue generator". I've seen little evidence that they were out to make profit from the over engineered Bold hardware itself. High margin service fee revenue was a significant part of their business model. 9900 was a durable hook into that...

Just touch the frame with a strong magnet... you'll find it slightly magnetic. Not possible with Al.
    Last edited by idssteve; 06-02-17 at 05:30 AM.
    06-02-17 05:19 AM
    ^^^^ Just a gentle correction tho, the Bold's frame is actually stainless steel. Much more durable than "alu-MIN-ium" could ever be.

Well, hot damn. It just gets better. So if I take take the Bold into the hollowed-out volcano of an evil villain, it's not going to melt, right? :-)

I'm kinda fazed by the fancy-schmancy Aston Martin Bold case. Are there people around who would pay £79 for one, to match the car?

JB: "Well Mish Moneypenny, I see you've got a new phone case. Why don't you get out of those wet clothes and into a Dry Martini?"

Moneypenny: "Get lost, creep."

Just been watching the new series of House of Cards. Many Blackberries in view of the roundy-corner Bold type.
    Last edited by Sue-zz; 06-02-17 at 06:03 AM.
    idssteve and Berry Happy 2 like this.
    06-02-17 05:48 AM
    ^^^^ Just a gentle correction tho, the Bold's frame is actually stainless steel. Much more durable than "alu-MIN-ium" could ever be.

Well, hot damn. It just gets better. So if I take take the Bold into the hollowed-out volcano of an evil villain, it's not going to melt, right? :-)

I'm kinda fazed by the fancy-schmancy Aston Martin Bold case. Are there people around who would pay £79 for one, to match the car?

Don't answer that.

Just been watching the new series of House of Cards. Many Blackberries in view of the roundy corner Bold type.
    SS certainly possesses a higher melting point than Al. All depends on how hot that damn gets... lol. Dis assembly reveals that frame is truly the "main beam" of the structure. With mounting tabs formed into the perimeter for threaded screw holes, etc. Very intricate to manufacture, imo. My best guess is that it's die cast stainless... no easy process due to such high melting point. Of course it could be forged...? CNC from billet?? Idk. Impressive, either way, to this ancient engineer. Lol.

I can certainly attest to its ability to survive "a great fall"... no King's horses needed...
    06-02-17 06:03 AM
    SS certainly possesses a higher melting point than Al. All depends on how hot that damn gets... lol. Dis assembly reveals that frame is truly the "main beam" of the structure. With mounting tabs formed into the perimeter for threaded screw holes, etc. Very intricate to manufacture, imo. My best guess is that it's die cast stainless... no easy process due to such high melting point. Of course it could be forged...? CNC from billet?? Idk. ...
    A few things: Stainless steel is generally not magnetic but I've not tried this with my Bold yet to see what happens. Maybe there's something magnetic behind the frame
    I doubt it is cast, it takes seriously high temperatures and you'd not get the precision you need for this part.
    Forging, maybe, but also tough as many of these stainless steel alloys require a lot of pressure. My bet is on machining as you need to eventually do that anyways to get the tolerances you need.

The Q and Z have metal frames as well, I'm not sure why BlackBerry decided to hide it behind a paint job. It probably isn't stainless as it seems to be a much more malleable material. (inadvertently tested with drops...)

It's too bad recent BlackBerry phones have seemingly moved away from durability and repairability.
    06-02-17 05:00 PM
8,754 ... 230231232233234 ...