I am writing from my beloved (and white) BB 9900, but I am going to switch to a (huge) BB Priv. I bought it used to save money, and I choose it because of the pkb. But I am not capable of making the switch. First of all, the size, the pkb comforts of the 9900 are far more practical for me: the Priv is just huge. And I don't like at all the idea of switching to an Android OS which I already know it's horrible and less safe. Plus, two other huge problems: first, I have to resize my simcard to make it ok for the Priv nano sim card slot. And second, I am not sure how I will save the data on the 9900(contacts, emails, other stuff) and transfer all to the Priv without losing precious things. Also, the fact that BB Keyone is going to be ready to be purchased makes me think that all these problems could have been much more bearable, because the Keyone seems to me a better compromise to leave my beloved 9900 with less regrets. But I had to make this decision also because of the Whatsapp issues : by june 2017, as Whatsapp is claiming since many months, the chat application will no longer work, and my job depends also on that app, I cannot stop using it.
    Better to get new sim card from your carrier. Before switching over, just set your PRIV up on wifi and get basics set up first like your Google ID and stuff. You can't use whatsapp on the PRIV until you move your sim card but you already know how to use whatsapp.

The good news is that BlackBerry Android Hub is similar to BB10 hub which itself similar to original BlackBerry Hub like on 9900. You get to skip BB10 LOL ;-)

Make sure you have your PRIV on latest update of Android 6.0.1 since there have been many little improvements since PRIV rolled out 1.5 years ago. My favorite is that in email you can now setup auto bcc. This was not possible for quite awhile in BB10 hub or BlackBerry Android Hub.

I spent at least a week using PRIV on wifi before I switched over my sim card. Good Luck!!!!!

Posted via CB10
    04-07-17 06:10 AM
    first, I have to resize my simcard to make it ok for the Priv nano sim card slot. And second, I am not sure how I will save the data on the 9900(contacts, emails, other stuff) and transfer all to the Priv without losing precious things.
    Never thought that I would do some Priv tips in this thread

- SIM card: do not cut the old SIM for use in the Priv. The standard SIM is thicker and may destroy the SIM contact pins in the Priv. Get a new nano SIM from your carrier. Get a set of SIM adapter for switching SIM back to your old Bold when you feel like to. Cut off the end of the SIM adapter (the end which goes into the SIM slot first) so it won't catch the SIM pins when moving it in and out of the slot.
    - Transfer contacts: check BBW for a content transfer app by Blackberry. The app is available in Playstore so you can load it into your Priv. That will help bring your contacts overs to BB10 and androids. I am not sure what else it can help bringing over.

Posted from my  Passport
    04-07-17 06:34 AM
    Ok, I want to use my 9900 again, but because I don't have BIS it jyst hangs at startup.

How do I get around this?

(works fine with a bis sim)
    04-07-17 08:21 AM
    I am writing from my beloved (and white) BB 9900, but I am going to switch to a (huge) BB Priv. I bought it used to save money, and I choose it because of the pkb. But I am not capable of making the switch. First of all, the size, the pkb comforts of the 9900 are far more practical for me: the Priv is just huge. And I don't like at all the idea of switching to an Android OS which I already know it's horrible and less safe. Plus, two other huge problems: first, I have to resize my simcard to make it ok for the Priv nano sim card slot. And second, I am not sure how I will save the data on the 9900(contacts, emails, other stuff) and transfer all to the Priv without losing precious things. Also, the fact that BB Keyone is going to be ready to be purchased makes me think that all these problems could have been much more bearable, because the Keyone seems to me a better compromise to leave my beloved 9900 with less regrets. But I had to make this decision also because of the Whatsapp issues : by june 2017, as Whatsapp is claiming since many months, the chat application will no longer work, and my job depends also on that app, I cannot stop using it.
    I'm using my Bold 9900 in conjunction with the Priv, both are my daily drivers, i think its easy to transfer things from blackberry to android because blackberry are now making devices with android. It's going to be much easier to switch compared to having to transfer iphone information to the Priv, which took a while especially with the pictures. I really enjoy using the Priv, it has made me more productive on the apps that are not available on blackberry, before i would hate to use them and now i always reply to every message i get there. I think you will be pleased at how good it is.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-07-17 08:34 AM
    Big, big believer in dual carry. NO single device can do it ALL with optimal efficiency, for me. Just like no single vehicle can do it ALL with optimal efficiency, for me. Some days I MUST use a truck. If I had
    just one vehicle it would have to be a truck. Just for the one day per week I need its capabilities. Fortunately, I have a choice to drive a more efficient Porsche or wife's Prius on the majority of days I don't need a truck. Optimal efficiency for the given day. Why suffer to drive, park and fuel an oversized vehicle EVERY day when that oversize contributes nothing to the tasks I spend most days doing?

I NEED some things BB10 does. Possibly even some things android does. (ug!) Things that, essential as they are, only get used occasionally. Fortunately, I have a choice to use a more efficient 9900 for the majority of tasks where I don't need a "truck". Optimal efficiency for the given task. Why suffer your hand to accommodate an oversized tool when that oversize contributes nothing to the tasks one spends most time doing?

Dual carry let's me use 9900 for calls, emails, sms/mms, BBM, contacts, calendar, light browsing, spreadsheet editing, etc, etc. COMFORTABLY in left hand while my right hand interacts with life's activities... like feeding face, writing notes, operating PC, carrying briefcase, pushing baskets at Costco... lol. OR, using my oversized secondary carry device, in right hand, for those occasional imperatives.

Most frequently, I'm actually forced to involve left hand, with 9900 in hand, to reach the furthest corners of my oversized D60, Classic, Passport, or Z30 that I've chosen as secondary fill-in for a given day. Every time, I'm reminded of why that ergonomically comfortable 9900 is in left hand... STILL.

VZW charges me $10 for each additional line. BIS, or no. Unlimited talk&text. 18GB data shared amongst 10 devices (D60 is a data HOG!!). 9930 has a sim that stays in place. Always. Sim only gets swapped among my other handsets, in my case. Fwiw.
    Last edited by idssteve; 04-07-17 at 12:44 PM.
    04-07-17 12:30 PM
    Thank you so much for you infos
    04-07-17 04:18 PM
    Thank you very much. about the resizing: some says that the thickness can be adjusted with sand paper. I am doubtful now, maybe I should not take the risk
    04-07-17 04:26 PM
    thank you
    04-07-17 04:28 PM
    Haha... My "white hair" parents have grown far too "shaky" for anything but frustration with touch UI. Of ANY kind. Even the touch UI on our 9900s results in far too many unintended things getting unintentionally activated by the slightest brush with an unintended finger. Maddeningly frustrating for them. Unnecessarily so, imo. Quite a few of their friends in their community suffer the same frustration.

White hair Steve to the rescue! With touch disabled 9900s! Now, even "shaky" folks in their community communicate!

9900's comfortable ergonomics are comfortably ergonomic for young and old alike!!
    Well if they were in my hometown they certainly have their choices for BlackBerry and what I saw today…

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_1491602417.276694.jpg
    cbosdell likes this.
    04-07-17 05:00 PM
    Well if they were in my hometown they certainly have their choices for BlackBerry and what I saw today…
    What ... no 9900's?!
    04-07-17 05:03 PM
    That is fully understandable. I always like having a spare phone because you never know when you can get some glitch and you can't make calls or like when my iPhone jammed and then I need another one to make calls etc. So that is why I always have 2 phones. I find phones like the Priv too large. I checked them out today at sasktel, just huge. Not for me. I too would get the newer keyone if I was in your shoes. May as well go with the faster processor right, hopefully the key one is faster then the Priv.

The problem is with the glass slabs I need big because I really can't type good otherwise, I need nice spacious keys. I recently got the 4.7 inch iPhone 7 and while it's much easier to type than my 4 inch iPhone that I just got rid of, it's still not perfect as the 9900. I also am like you I need certain apps right now and I can't compromise. But I would feel like I sold my soul to the devil if I ever got rid of my 9900 and I never will unless someone wants to offer me $1 million for it then I might consider it ;-)
    04-07-17 05:08 PM

VZW charges me $10 for each additional line. BIS, or no. Unlimited talk&text. 18GB data shared amongst 10 devices (D60 is a data HOG!!). 9930 has a sim that stays in place. Always. Sim only gets swapped among my other handsets, in my case. Fwiw.
    Same cell number for all I assume? Man I would GLADLY pay $10 extra to have the same number on a second device, if that's how yours works...
    04-07-17 05:12 PM
    What ... no 9900's?!
    Not too long ago, maybe 2.5 years ago , they did still sell NEW 9900's and they were on display.

Time stands still in my hometown
    04-07-17 05:14 PM
    I'm using my Bold 9900 in conjunction with the Priv, both are my daily drivers
    Do both have sins or does the 99 go without? How is that set up?
    04-07-17 05:16 PM
    Do both have sins or does the 99 go without? How is that set up?
    Yes both have sims, and both sims are on different cell networks in case one doesn't get coverage and the other does, the sim i was using in my iphone i put into the Priv, i still love using the 9900 and when in public it can be much easier to hold without the fear of dropping, however i do have a tempered glass screen protector for the priv and a nice thin leather case that makes it feel like the Bold 9000, and when i added the case, for whatever reason it made the keyboard have a slightly more clicky feel to it or maybe i have just really worn the keyboard in, the stats on the typed words since i got the phone in mid-february is in the high thousands, i've been using it constantly haha.

anon(9721108) likes this.
    04-07-17 05:21 PM
    Same cell number for all I assume? Man I would GLADLY pay $10 extra to have the same number on a second device, if that's how yours works...
    Well, actually, Passport & D60 aren't vzw but this 9930 has dedicated # and Classic & Z30 share sim & #. My plan is pretty big$ up front but after about 5 devices (99s, 9650, mifi's, wan cards, etc...) actual monthly has increased $10 for each of the last 5 phone numbers I've added. ATT treats me similarly but is worthless out here at a long term jobsite and I haven't noticed the details for them. My total VZW bill, tho, runs about $240 for ten numbers, unlimited voice & text and 18GB shared. It increased exactly $10 when I added this new Classic to replace the one that experienced battery failure a month or so back. The exact same increase as when I added a 9930. Once I get home and put a new battery in that classic, I'll likely continue to swap sim between repaired Classic & Z30 and keep the dedicated # on this Classic.

I like having dedicated numbers to keep calls prioritized. Typically direct coworkers, family and vip clients to 9930. Typically direct clients and vendors to my "secondary" #. Like Classic, Passport, etc.

In other less remote locales, carrying VZW 9930 & ATT Passport helps assure availability. Sometimes i'll carry ATT 9900 & VZW Classic. My preferred combo, actually. When signal permits.

If any of that makes sense. Lol.
    04-07-17 08:06 PM
    Well, actually, Passport & D60 aren't vzw but this 9930 has dedicated # and Classic & Z30 share sim & #. My plan is pretty big$ up front but after about 5 devices (99s, 9650, mifi's, wan cards, etc...) actual monthly has increased $10 for each of the last 5 phone numbers I've added. ATT treats me similarly but is worthless out here at a long term jobsite and I haven't noticed the details for them. My total VZW bill, tho, runs about $240 for ten numbers, unlimited voice & text and 18GB shared. It increased exactly $10 when I added this new Classic to replace the one that experienced battery failure a month or so back. The exact same increase as when I added a 9930. Once I get home and put a new battery in that classic, I'll likely continue to swap sim between repaired Classic & Z30 and keep the dedicated # on this Classic.

I like having dedicated numbers to keep calls prioritized. Typically direct coworkers, family and vip clients to 9930. Typically direct clients and vendors to my "secondary" #. Like Classic, Passport, etc.

In other less remote locales, carrying VZW 9930 & ATT Passport helps assure availability. Sometimes i'll carry ATT 9900 & VZW Classic. My preferred combo, actually. When signal permits.

If any of that makes sense. Lol.
    Wow ;-) well hopefully most of that can be written off as a business expense, etc.
    04-07-17 10:12 PM
    Wow ;-) well hopefully most of that can be written off as a business expense, etc.
    Generously compensated thru stipends & retainers for 24/7 availability.
    04-07-17 10:38 PM
    Big, big believer in dual carry. NO single device can do it ALL with optimal efficiency, for me.
    Big, big Ditto here! Passport SE as daily driver main device; Bold 9900 for when I want a smaller carry with the BBM features -- including BBM Protected end-to-end encryption and BBM Voice -- and email and calendar I need; and an iPad mini for entertainment apps (and don't put any personal information on the iPad). The iPad is wifi-only, and the Bold and Passport each have their own SIM cards. When I'm using the Bold, I forward the Passport.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    idssteve likes this.
    04-07-17 11:20 PM
    Hey Collins what model iPhone do you have?
    04-08-17 01:29 AM
    ... But I would feel like I sold my soul to the devil if I ever got rid of my 9900 and I never will unless someone wants to offer me $1 million for it then I might consider it ;-)
    Exactly the way I felt when I bought and saw the Priv
    04-08-17 02:59 AM
    i still love using the 9900 and when in public it can be much easier to hold without the fear of dropping, however i do have a tempered glass screen protector for the priv

The fear of dropping, that is exactly the feeling I felt the first time I have touched the Priv. How difficult is to put on the tempered glass screen protector on the Priv's screen? I haven't put anything but a flip case (which is difficult for me to accept: on my BB 9900 I was addicted to the fabulous Mercury Jelly cases: grip, skinny, bright colours, resistent)
    04-08-17 03:07 AM
    Better to get new sim card from your carrier. Before switching over, just set your PRIV up on wifi and get basics set up first like your Google ID and stuff. You can't use whatsapp on the PRIV until you move your sim card but you already know how to use whatsapp.

The good news is that BlackBerry Android Hub is similar to BB10 hub which itself similar to original BlackBerry Hub like on 9900. You get to skip BB10 LOL ;-)

Make sure you have your PRIV on latest update of Android 6.0.1 since there have been many little improvements since PRIV rolled out 1.5 years ago. My favorite is that in email you can now setup auto bcc. This was not possible for quite awhile in BB10 hub or BlackBerry Android Hub.

I spent at least a week using PRIV on wifi before I switched over my sim card. Good Luck!!!!!

Posted via CB10
    I did it! (Well, partially). I cut the simcard (Yes, by myself), and, for now, the Priv works and recognizes it. But I have a question (well, I have many questions actually, but still...): the Priv asked me to submit a gmail account: when I try to use my current gmail account, it said that the username was already taken. I had to create a new one, but I do not have any gmail account with that username, but it has accepted it anyway. That's confusing
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    04-08-17 03:21 AM
    Hey Collins what model iPhone do you have?
    I had the iPhone 6, i still have it i just don't use it, when the contract ends i will be able to get it unlocked and sell it.

04-08-17 04:19 AM
    The fear of dropping, that is exactly the feeling I felt the first time I have touched the Priv. How difficult is to put on the tempered glass screen protector on the Priv's screen? I haven't put anything but a flip case (which is difficult for me to accept: on my BB 9900 I was addicted to the fabulous Mercury Jelly cases: grip, skinny, bright colours, resistent)
    The tempered glass screen protector was very easy to apply, it came in a nice box from China and had 2 wipes, one was an alcohol wipe for cleaning the screen and then a dry wipe to dry the screen and then i applied the screen protector and it was done. I love using the Priv and now that it has protection on the screen and body i do feel more comfortable using it in public but the 9900 is much easier to use because you will never drop it.

04-08-17 04:23 AM
8,754 ... 212213214215216 ...