My problem with Priv, and Torch before it, is that they are "glass-centric" configurations that prioritize screenestate over keyboard function. Maybe BB hoped Priv's glass prioritization might interest Android market (did it?) but keyboard prioritization is a BIG part of why we're still using 9900s!
    It wasn't just the Bold and the Beautiful who were underwhelmed with the Priv: What did the BlackBerry fan community want almost more than _anything else_..? A Z50. What a blown opportunity: The Z30 was wildly popular with those who bought it -- if they'd built one with AT&T LTE, I'd have likely never given the Passport a second look -- and won not only a design award, but also Wired Magazine's Smartphone Thunderdome. Handily.

Instead of the Z50, though, we get something no one -- NO ONE -- was asking for. The Priv was a letdown from the moment Louks held it up. No one wanted a slider, and no one really wanted Android.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    markmall likes this.
    03-07-17 11:29 AM
    I had to have a look at that on youtube, they unveiled the phone in a Black and White colour scheme but in the final launch it was only Black and running android. In the launch video you can clearly see the screen has BB10 on it, but at that launch the Leap seems to have out shadowed the "Slider" as it was called at the time. They could have launched the Priv with Android and BB10 sold through their shopblackberry website which would have been cool. I do however think the build of the Priv is quite amazing, the Priv i have was manufactured in April 2016 so i think any of the flaws that people talk about maybe have been sorted out with this device because the keyboard is clicky and gives great feedback. The keyboard on the Torch and Torch 2 was never the same as the Bold keyboards even though it had the same size as the 97xx devices, in today's climate of having the thinnest devices if BlackBerry had made the Priv a little thicker to make the keyboard more clicky then it would have been even worse received as being a "brick" device.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    I tried typing on my friends torch once, and with the slider open man it's just that top row, the ridge got in my way and I didn't like it, it felt cramped and restricted somehow and yeah the keys just seemed more flat for some reason. I like when they stand out a little bit and you have wide-open spaces to type.
    03-07-17 03:19 PM
    I tried typing on my friends torch once, and with the slider open man it's just that top row, the ridge got in my way and I didn't like it, it felt cramped and restricted somehow and yeah the keys just seemed more flat for some reason. I like when they stand out a little bit and you have wide-open spaces to type.
    I was really not interested in the Torch because when it came out in 2010 i tried one in a store and it had the same keyboard as my 9700 which i would always grapple with using and i didn't want to purchase another phone with a smaller keyboard so when the Torch 2 came out i was happy they upgraded it and gave it what it should have been originally but i had bought the Bold 9900. I think with my unit of the Priv because it was only manufactured in April 2016 they must have fixed all the problems of the earlier 2015 models because i find the keyboard to have some good feedback, i know and hear that i've hit the key and there's no typo's the keyboard is really wide. On the note of the thumbs hitting the top of the screen while typing, i type in a specific way because if i typed with my thumbs completely flat even on the 9900 it would hit the tool belt and press things, i always use the side or tips of my thumbs to type, i also type this way on the Priv so i have never encountered any typing problems, but then again it could be down to the design, maybe they fixed something in the later productions, they could have even fixed some things internally because the phone isn't laggy, i really love the Priv so much haha.

03-07-17 03:33 PM
    I have a feeling you'll eventually want to give one a try.

Posted from my Q10 via CB10
    Don't count on it ;-) I've got the dream BlackBerry I waited five years to get that I should've got in 2011. To me it's still like having a brand-new device and if I swap Sims it will be to that one I'm loyal to. Since I have the new keyboard and the new ear speaker and the new plate that goes under the keyboard and the back cover and two new batteries to me it's still like a new device.

As for "doing my part" I don't care what others think. I bought 3 Blackberry devices that I can recall for certain and I use what I want to use. I don't like Android after researching all I have on it, trying friend's devices, and I am well embedded into the Apple Eco-system, I know all the in's and outs of iOS and I am getting to the point where I don't always want to learn to use new things. If I like something I will stick with it.

But then I have a saying which is "never say never "because you just don't know what could happen tomorrow, I am considering that I'm going to have to get a new iPhone 7 this fall because the 5C is starting to slow down. But after researching for about a week all of the problems and about 19 known issues with the iPhone 7 including a buzzing or humming sound when the processor is working hard, the Phone app jamming or not letting people hang up on calls, etc. etc. I am giving everything a second thought. I know that I am frustrated at times with a virtual keyboard but I don't know if that's because I have the small iPhone, I'm wondering if I would be just as frustrated on a 4.7 inch iPhone 7 or would I be better off with a new key one and having to learn an entire new ecosystem and then I would be asking 50,000 questions and do I really want to do that LOL. So these are the things I'm considering. I do like how my iPhone and iPad are connected and if I lose one I can track it down wipe it clean remotely with the other device because I'm off in public places with these things and it's just a bit of extra security or peace of mind. I also do not like the constant bombardment of updates from the apple ecosystem that eventually slow down your device so much it literally jams and will not work. This is what I experienced installing iOS 10 on the iPhone 5c. The 5C was lightning fast on iOS 9 but Ios10 caused such a hiccup that I had to go get the device unnamed at my electronics store for $30.

There are threads about Google and android and I just don't like how Google android devices and Google for that matter have themselves embedded so much in our lives and everything you basically search or do or send is stored in Google's computers. And why they do that I don't know but eventually anything and everything can and will be used against you at some point. Imagine when someone hacks Google. Now yes we have Google on our apple and blackberry devices but I feel like somehow buying an android device is giving google more power and more permission to embed themselves in our lives.

I love the keyboard on the key one and the fact Blackberry is remembering their original fan base, but I'm not sure I love the operating system for reasons stated. I firmly believe and wished blackberry would have done a retro 9900, I mean same size and everything but as for the operating system, well it would probably be android wouldn't it? I mean would it be so far fetched to offer a retro 9900 with just a basic browser not being android? I would be more than happy using browser websites for things on a new Retro 9900 like CB or Google or Facebook or Twitter instead of apps if apps were not even available on that device, less apt developers, etc. whatever reason.
    03-07-17 03:42 PM
    Don't count on it ;-) I've got the dream BlackBerry I waited five years to get that I should've got in 2011. To me it's still like having a brand-new device and if I swap Sims it will be to that one I'm loyal to. Since I have the new keyboard and the new ear speaker and the new plate that goes under the keyboard and the back cover and two new batteries to me it's still like a new device.

As for "doing my part" I don't care what others think. I bought 3 Blackberry devices that I can recall for certain and I use what I want to use. I don't like Android after researching all I have on it, trying friend's devices, and I am well embedded into the Apple Eco-system, I know all the in's and outs of iOS and I am getting to the point where I don't always want to learn to use new things. If I like something I will stick with it.

But then I have a saying which is "never say never "because you just don't know what could happen tomorrow, I am considering that I'm going to have to get a new iPhone 7 this fall because the 5C is starting to slow down. But after researching for about a week all of the problems and about 19 known issues with the iPhone 7 including a buzzing or humming sound when the processor is working hard, the Phone app jamming or not letting people hang up on calls, etc. etc. I am giving everything a second thought. I know that I am frustrated at times with a virtual keyboard but I don't know if that's because I have the small iPhone, I'm wondering if I would be just as frustrated on a 4.7 inch iPhone 7 or would I be better off with a new key one and having to learn an entire new ecosystem and then I would be asking 50,000 questions and do I really want to do that LOL. So these are the things I'm considering. I do like how my iPhone and iPad are connected and if I lose one I can track it down wipe it clean remotely with the other device because I'm off in public places with these things and it's just a bit of extra security or peace of mind. I also do not like the constant bombardment of updates from the apple ecosystem that eventually slow down your device so much it literally jams and will not work. This is what I experienced installing iOS 10 on the iPhone 5c. The 5C was lightning fast on iOS 9 but Ios10 caused such a hiccup that I had to go get the device unnamed at my electronics store for $30.

There are threads about Google and android and I just don't like how Google android devices and Google for that matter have themselves embedded so much in our lives and everything you basically search or do or send is stored in Google's computers. And why they do that I don't know but eventually anything and everything can and will be used against you at some point. Imagine when someone hacks Google. Now yes we have Google on our apple and blackberry devices but I feel like somehow buying an android device is giving google more power and more permission to embed themselves in our lives.

I love the keyboard on the key one and the fact Blackberry is remembering their original fan base, but I'm not sure I love the operating system for reasons stated. I firmly believe and wished blackberry would have done a retro 9900, I mean same size and everything but as for the operating system, well it would probably be android wouldn't it? I mean would it be so far fetched to offer a retro 9900 with just a basic browser not being android? I would be more than happy using browser websites for things on a new Retro 9900 like CB or Google or Facebook or Twitter instead of apps if apps were not even available on that device, less apt developers, etc. whatever reason.
    I'll be selling my iPhone 6 64GB later in the year. Trust me there is a huge difference in the screen size from a 5c/5s to any of the 6-7 models, the on screen keyboard really is much bigger.

03-07-17 03:47 PM
    I'll be selling my iPhone 6 64GB later in the year. Trust me there is a huge difference in the screen size from a 5c/5s to any of the 6-7 models, the on screen keyboard really is much bigger.

Is it unlocked?

You know come to think of it how hard would it be for BlackBerry to put some basic software into a retro design 9900 I mean BlackBerry is a software company right? Just like I think that new 3310 from Nokia is going to be a huge hit and the fact it's only $50 will help for people that just want a basic phone and nothing more, I think BlackBerry could've done something like this.

I'm still miffed that they never offered a device with the raised glass keyboard. I remember starting an article about that and wishing the BlackBerry had bought the technology because it would've been the next step after glass slabs, namely having the keys raise up from the glass to give a physical keyboard feeling. Blackberry needed something cool like that, any gimmick to get people into the BlackBerry stores would suffice. The keyboard sold itself. But they just didn't seem to take many chances.
    03-07-17 03:59 PM
    Remember the Raised glass Keyboard Technology?

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1067756
    03-07-17 04:02 PM
    Is it unlocked?

You know come to think of it how hard would it be for BlackBerry to put some basic software into a retro design 9900 I mean BlackBerry is a software company right? Just like I think that new 3310 from Nokia is going to be a huge hit and the fact it's only $50 will help for people that just want a basic phone and nothing more, I think BlackBerry could've done something like this.

I'm still miffed that they never offered a device with the raised glass keyboard. I remember starting an article about that and wishing the BlackBerry had bought the technology because it would've been the next step after glass slabs, namely having the keys raise up from the glass to give a physical keyboard feeling. Blackberry needed something cool like that, any gimmick to get people into the BlackBerry stores would suffice. The keyboard sold itself. But they just didn't seem to take many chances.
    It will be unlocked once the contract ends in November. I don't know what would have happened if blackberry did a retro phone, but i do know there would be incredible negativity and snobbery about it, Nokia is only getting away with this because people could easily access these phones back in the day, whereas blackberry devices were for the business people and you had to have a monthly plan to acquire one, also i think i've said this before but when blackberry really became consumer popular it was with the 2009 Curve 8520/30 i remember it being so much slower than my 9700, anyone who had an 8520 was complaining about it being slow and causing problems and i never had a problem with the 9700, the Curve 85xx made them popular but left a very bad impression in the consumers minds who then just jumped to the cheapest android or iphone and never gave blackberry another chance, if you think about it the Bold 9000 had a better processor than the 8520 lol. But a refreshed 9900 with some updates to OS7 would have been so cool, especially emoji support so there's blank boxes and if they were able to implement any way for OS7 to be able to read APK files then some sideloading would be cool too.

03-07-17 04:13 PM
    It will be unlocked once the contract ends in November. I don't know what would have happened if blackberry did a retro phone, but i do know there would be incredible negativity and snobbery about it, Nokia is only getting away with this because people could easily access these phones back in the day, whereas blackberry devices were for the business people and you had to have a monthly plan to acquire one, also i think i've said this before but when blackberry really became consumer popular it was with the 2009 Curve 8520/30 i remember it being so much slower than my 9700, anyone who had an 8520 was complaining about it being slow and causing problems and i never had a problem with the 9700, the Curve 85xx made them popular but left a very bad impression in the consumers minds who then just jumped to the cheapest android or iphone and never gave blackberry another chance, if you think about it the Bold 9000 had a better processor than the 8520 lol. But a refreshed 9900 with some updates to OS7 would have been so cool, especially emoji support so there's blank boxes and if they were able to implement any way for OS7 to be able to read APK files then some sideloading would be cool too.

Yeah could be.....and good points. The thing about anything "retro" is the publicity it seems to get in the media. They can't shut up about that new Nokia 3310 and I did see Blackberry mentioned in a couple of the new articles with the 3310. But I am willing to bet this new 3310 will be a BIG hit and since Blackberry didn't make one, it might be another ship that sailed away and they are left on the beach. I do think that the attention a retro 9900 would bring from the media would boost sales even if people viewed them as a Buisness device. I always used mine as a personal device, and considering that any Blackberry can do MORE than that new 3310, well I would hope that counts for something among non-Enterprize or Buisness users. When I think back to 6 or 7 years ago, most of the people I worked with or knew had Blackberries but they didn't have them for buisness.

Using a retro device like this is kind of like owning a mechanical Swiss watch. Even a new $10 Chinese movement quartz watch will be more accurate than a Swiss Chronometer certified piece, BUT we use the 400 year old technology watch because of it's heritage, the joy to use it and the uniqueness it offers. Sure it still has to be functional.....for a phone. But it still works. At the same time I would never tell people to expect their 6 year old 9900 to do what a new device can. They have to be realistic about this also, in the end.

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    03-07-17 05:38 PM
    Yeah could be.....and good points. The thing about anything "retro" is the publicity it seems to get in the media. They can't shut up about that new Nokia 3310 and I did see Blackberry mentioned in a couple of the new articles with the 3310. But I am willing to bet this new 3310 will be a BIG hit and since Blackberry didn't make one, it might be another ship that sailed away and they are left on the beach. I do think that the attention a retro 9900 would bring from the media would boost sales even if people viewed them as a Buisness device. I always used mine as a personal device, and considering that any Blackberry can do MORE than that new 3310, well I would hope that counts for something among non-Enterprize or Buisness users. When I think back to 6 or 7 years ago, most of the people I worked with or knew had Blackberries but they didn't have them for buisness.

Using a retro device like this is kind of like owning a mechanical Swiss watch. Even a new $10 Chinese movement quartz watch will be more accurate than a Swiss Chronometer certified piece, BUT we use the 400 year old technology watch because of it's heritage, the joy to use it and the uniqueness it offers. Sure it still has to be functional.....for a phone. But it still works. At the same time I would never tell people to expect their 6 year old 9900 to do what a new device can. They have to be realistic about this also, in the end.

Yes you are right, the Nokia has been updated a lot so it doesn't look or function like the original. There's definitely a market for this, especially older generations who had been using this style of phone since the 90s, i don't miss that style of keypad at all, i got my first QWERY device in 2008, it was a Motorola Q9h and i loved being able to type so good on it, at the time QWERTY devices were not popular here so i was typing a lot in texts and people couldn't believe how much i was typing in texts haha. I actually don't think the 9900 is old enough to be considered "retro" maybe one of the 8700 or a pearl would be "retro" enough because they didn't have certain things the newer blackberry's have. I would love another re-issued 9900 with maybe a 1.5Ghz processor, 5-8mp autofocus camera, an updated battery to maybe 1,500mah and emoji reading support, this would be a great re-issue of the phone especially because it's still such a strong running phone i do love using it. When in public i find it harder to use a larger phone so i still use my 9900 whenever i'm out, thankfully i can still do lots of things on the phone.

03-07-17 06:57 PM
    I'd buy a 9900 with Android if it was reskinned to mimic the BBOS menu system. Android already works well with the keyboard and trackpad: my Lenovo N5902a remote works great with my android TV box. Here's the remote. Yes, that is a trackpad. Yes, it works EXACTLY like the BlackBerry version. Yes, you will like it. Yes, you should get one for your HTPC

I think a lot could be achieved in a Bold-style Android phone if BlackBerry would allow some (not all) of their smartphones to be rootable and have an open bootloader. A BBOS-style Android ROM would satisfy my needs, especially if it was based on the Android Open Source Project, and the decision respecting whether to add Google Play Services was left up to the user.
    idssteve and johnsliderbb like this.
    03-07-17 09:02 PM
    Yes you are right, the Nokia has been updated a lot so it doesn't look or function like the original. There's definitely a market for this, especially older generations who had been using this style of phone since the 90s, i don't miss that style of keypad at all, i got my first QWERY device in 2008, it was a Motorola Q9h and i loved being able to type so good on it, at the time QWERTY devices were not popular here so i was typing a lot in texts and people couldn't believe how much i was typing in texts haha. I actually don't think the 9900 is old enough to be considered "retro" maybe one of the 8700 or a pearl would be "retro" enough because they didn't have certain things the newer blackberry's have. I would love another re-issued 9900 with maybe a 1.5Ghz processor, 5-8mp autofocus camera, an updated battery to maybe 1,500mah and emoji reading support, this would be a great re-issue of the phone especially because it's still such a strong running phone i do love using it. When in public i find it harder to use a larger phone so i still use my 9900 whenever i'm out, thankfully i can still do lots of things on the phone.

Anything Blackberry is unfortunately considered "retro" by my friends at least.

Yeah I got pretty fast typing about 200 texts a day with my Motorola RAZR 1 and 2 up until 2010. I don't miss that KB either.

03-07-17 11:58 PM
    I'd buy a 9900 with Android if it was reskinned to mimic the BBOS menu system. Android already works well with the keyboard and trackpad: my Lenovo N5902a remote works great with my android TV box. Here's the remote. Yes, that is a trackpad. Yes, it works EXACTLY like the BlackBerry version. Yes, you will like it. Yes, you should get one for your HTPC

I think a lot could be achieved in a Bold-style Android phone if BlackBerry would allow some (not all) of their smartphones to be rootable and have an open bootloader. A BBOS-style Android ROM would satisfy my needs, especially if it was based on the Android Open Source Project, and the decision respecting whether to add Google Play Services was left up to the user.
    I guess I could go for that. Now I am off to "Google" what "rooting" means and what the purposes are

03-08-17 12:01 AM
    Actually my one buddy thinks ANYTHING with a physical keyboard is retro, old and barbaric

03-08-17 12:02 AM
    How large of screen is needed to type a 140 character message???
    More and more of our population less write characters and much more use "gif", "stickers", etc.

You know, many years ago(thousands,prehistoric?) Human draw on the walls of the caves some drawings. Now we back to this via new technology.
    idssteve and anon(8063781) like this.
    03-08-17 05:37 AM
    More and more of our population less write characters and much more use "gif", "stickers", etc.

You know, many years ago(thousands,prehistoric?) Human draw on the walls of the caves some drawings. Now we back to this via new technology.
    Haha... Guess I grew out of "finger painting" in preschool... Lol. As an adult, now, I generally prefer the precision of a finely pointed brush. Which is why I generally prefer the precision of a trackpad over finger on slab...
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    03-08-17 06:14 AM
    Anything Blackberry is unfortunately considered "retro" by my friends at least.

Yeah I got pretty fast typing about 200 texts a day with my Motorola RAZR 1 and 2 up until 2010. I don't miss that KB either.

i could never type on that style keypad properly, i'm so glad i got a QWERTY device back in 2008, yes anything blackberry is considered retro these days.

03-08-17 07:36 AM
    Pictures are all too easily misinterpreted. Typed words will generally provide greater clarity.
    In any event, if you have a 9900 it's such a joy to hammer out text on that magical keyboard – why wouldn't you want to practice your skills as a wordsmith ?!
    03-08-17 07:42 AM
    i could never type on that style keypad properly, i'm so glad i got a QWERTY device back in 2008, yes anything blackberry is considered retro these days.

But it sounds like you got pretty fast on that non-qwerty KB. Just goes to show that anyone can become fast and proficient if one practices or uses something enough
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 03-08-17 at 05:43 PM.
    03-08-17 05:09 PM
    I would love another re-issued 9900 with maybe a 1.5Ghz processor, 5-8mp autofocus camera, an updated battery to maybe 1,500mah and emoji reading support, this would be a great re-issue of the phone especially
    You know, I just realized we basically already have this. Minus the autofocus camera, we are pretty close to 1.5 Ghz with 1.2 and one of my batteries IS a high capacity 1500mah. So I suppose what we have is perfect but it would be great to have more app support. That's all I would wish for I think.

Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 03-08-17 at 07:07 PM.
    03-08-17 06:13 PM
    But it sounds like you got pretty fast on that non-qwerty KB. Just goes to show that anyone can become fast and proficient if one practices or uses something enough
    I wasn't very fast on the non-qwerty keyboard, it was when i got the Motorola Q9h which was when my typing became fast that was a QWERTY windows phone, it made me instantly dislike the non-qwerty phones and i never bought a non-qwerty keyboard phone after that.

03-08-17 06:17 PM
    I wasn't very fast on the non-qwerty keyboard, it was when i got the Motorola Q9h which was when my typing became fast that was a QWERTY windows phone, it made me instantly dislike the non-qwerty phones and i never bought a non-qwerty keyboard phone after that.

I think I was quicker on my Motorola RAZR than the iPhone because I didn't have to fix so many VKB typos ^_^
    03-08-17 09:39 PM
    9900:Resurgence of popularity!-ecce-momo-1-.jpg

Left: typing on bold 99s.
    Middle: typing on passport.
    Right: typing on google glass.

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.
    03-09-17 01:04 AM
    03-09-17 01:07 AM
    Sadly, I can't get any weather updates from BeWeather, just tried restoring my settings from the backup on my SDcard but still no good. This has been going on for several days, perhaps its a UK problem. I've been travelling today so its not a local network issue. I might try an uninstall/reinstall next.
    My problems with BeWeather continue, what I've observed is that it updates after each early morning reboot and then fails for the rest of the day, returning the http 301 response error.

Considering that the BeWeather developer appears to have gone AWOL , it might be time for me to explore alternatives, so recommendations of favourite weather apps (known to currently work on the 9900) are welcomed
    03-09-17 02:51 AM
8,135 ... 195196197198199 ...