But you posted a screenshot in another thread(about getting H+ speed), where you have BlackBerry symbol next to the 3G - it means you have BIS enabled.
    01-08-17 08:47 AM
    Thank you for the enthusiasm BBerryPoweruser... my new gmail account worked great! The 9900 is rocking again.

I also have my own email address, and have a G Suite account as well. My primary email is currently with Exchange 365 (not G Suite). Are you using G Suite? Does it work as good as a straight gmail account on BIS?
    I believe it does. I do NOT have G Suite. My domain (I own it) is hosted by a remote company I hire to park the site and the email server and I opted to set it up as POP basic. My U-Verse personal account is set up as imap (if I recall correctly) and I can sync everything just fine. Most accounts on BIS will offer you the option to sync contacts and calendar upon set-up. That's the power of BIS. It may be old in terms of tech years, but that does not mean it is obsolete. Millions of users Worldwide still rely on BIS, and even some major corporations still issue BIS (and BES) Berries to their personnel. No where near what it was 5 years ago, but it's still a thriving entitiy. The sun has not set just yet on BIS.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Passport and I enjoy BB10. But the AUTOMATION of BIS on OS7 is still king. BlackBerry Travel, Nobex Contact Capture, and a host of other Apps and built in management tools make it a superb business or personal manager. Much more so than BB10, IMO. And BRIDGE works a lot better with my Playbook than BLEND does with my iPad and the Passport. There was a month were me and about 5 BlackBerry Techs could not figure out why my Blend would not work with my iPad. Never had that problem with BRIDGE.

Enjoy. No reason to toss the 9900 to the curb yet. It's got a lot of life left.
    01-08-17 08:02 PM
    I had no idea -- there seems to be no native Spotify for BlackBerry 10 (for Passport, anyway)! I'll check out the BBOS version.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    Slacker and Spotify both still work well on the 9900.... PROVIDED you have an ACCOUNT with them. The App is old and has never been updated to accommodate "Ads", so they will NOT work with free accounts. Pay accounts work fine. I use Spotify and Slacker all the time on my 9900, and my Passport. On the Passport, I loaded Slacker from the Google Playstore because I have done the Cobalt hack and now have Playstore and Android Apps running on my Passport. I may have also loaded the Sportify App from Google Playstore, I can't remember. But I can tell you it runs just fine.
    David Tyler likes this.
    01-08-17 08:16 PM
    I believe it does. I do NOT have G Suite. My domain (I own it) is hosted by a remote company I hire to park the site and the email server and I opted to set it up as POP basic. My U-Verse personal account is set up as imap (if I recall correctly) and I can sync everything just fine. Most accounts on BIS will offer you the option to sync contacts and calendar upon set-up. That's the power of BIS. It may be old in terms of tech years, but that does not mean it is obsolete. Millions of users Worldwide still rely on BIS, and even some major corporations still issue BIS (and BES) Berries to their personnel. No where near what it was 5 years ago, but it's still a thriving entitiy. The sun has not set just yet on BIS.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Passport and I enjoy BB10. But the AUTOMATION of BIS on OS7 is still king. BlackBerry Travel, Nobex Contact Capture, and a host of other Apps and built in management tools make it a superb business or personal manager. Much more so than BB10, IMO. And BRIDGE works a lot better with my Playbook than BLEND does with my iPad and the Passport. There was a month were me and about 5 BlackBerry Techs could not figure out why my Blend would not work with my iPad. Never had that problem with BRIDGE.

Enjoy. No reason to toss the 9900 to the curb yet. It's got a lot of life left.
    Wow, thanks for the reply, and also preaching the BIS gospel. I'll throw my email domain back on g suite and see what happens.
    BBerryPowerUser likes this.
    01-08-17 08:29 PM
    But you posted a screenshot in another thread(about getting H+ speed), where you have BlackBerry symbol next to the 3G - it means you have BIS enabled.
    I have deactivated BIS later
    01-09-17 07:46 AM
    Slacker and Spotify both still work well on the 9900.... PROVIDED you have an ACCOUNT with them.. I can tell you it runs just fine.
    That's super -- one of my sons added me to his Spotify "family" account for Christmas! I have been running it on my iPad mini, but now I can use my Bold, as well. Thanks!
    01-09-17 12:16 PM
    I wanted to download Spotify on the 9900 but I thought it said only for a paying account...
    01-10-17 07:46 AM
    I wanted to download Spotify on the 9900 but I thought it said only for a paying account...
    Yes. It works only when you have paying(premium) account.
    01-10-17 08:18 AM
    Wow, thanks for the reply, and also preaching the BIS gospel. I'll throw my email domain back on g suite and see what happens.
    For the record, G Suite has no problem (as of today-- January of 2017!) with BIS on AT&T. I ran the app on my workstation to sync my mailbox, and now my blackberry is good to go and contacts and calendar work as well.
    01-10-17 09:51 AM
    Well, I've just ordered a 'new' 9900 from Ebay UK seller - mad or what!?

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-s-l1600-.jpg

This is the blackberry bold 9900 touch black edition.The phone is in pristine condition and boxed. Under close inspection there are tiny marks around the body of the phone. However these marks are too small to be captured by our cameras....
    The phone came directly from blackberry therefore it is unbranded and open to all networks ....

Much as I've enjoyed using my Q10 in recent months and although I'll probably go for the BB Mercury when it's finally released, I just had to have a pristine 9900 in my BlackBerry collection ... just for old times sake
    01-10-17 10:11 AM

Much as I've enjoyed using my Q10 in recent months and although I'll probably go for the BB Mercury when it's finally released, I just had to have a pristine 9900 in my BlackBerry collection ... just for old times sake
    Nice, thought you had one before?
    01-10-17 11:04 AM
    Nice, thought you had one before?
    Yes, actually I've got two 9900s !
    (#1) my original 9900 bought as new in 2012 – but that no longer works because it has a corrupted keyboard socket on the motherboard
    &
    (#2) another that I bought as a replacement but where the camera unit was defective, producing a red line across the picture frame. That's the one I occasionally use but I'd like a working camera (even though many slam the 9900 camera).
    I'm hoping that #3 is a fully functional unit – if not it will be returned to seller
    Last edited by mushroom_daddy; 01-13-17 at 02:37 AM.
    01-10-17 11:17 AM
    Yes, actually I've got two 9900s !
    (#1) my original 9900 bought as new in 2012 – but that no longer works because it has a corrupted keyboard socket on the motherboard
    &
    (#2) another that I bought as a replacement but where the camera unit was defective, producing a red line across the picture frame. It's that's the one I occasionally use but I'd like a working camera (even though many slam the 9900 camera).
    I'm hoping that #3 is a fully functional unit – if not it will be returned to seller
    Ah yeah I remember the pickle you went though with your Keyboard.

I know what you mean about the camera and how important it is. I had a bad 9780 because of the 3 camera modules I went through and kept getting replaced. The shortest the camera modules lasted was 3 months (from new) and the longest was 11 months! This is why I was a little leary to buy the 9900 because I had such a bad experience with the 9780 but I think I had a faulty Auto-focus issue on the camera modules. Fortunately the 9900 camera has been stellar, absolutely no problems other than not good focussing of newspaper articles, etc. Setting to MACRO does NOT help. However for everything else the 9900 camera is more than good. VIDEO is on par in 720p to my Iphone in 1080p, and honestly I cannot tell the difference in quality. I have to look at the dates of my Youtube vids to even know which device I filmed them with.

EDIT: take some good close-up shots of your new one when it comes in, we'll have a look at it :-)

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    01-10-17 04:13 PM
    Welcome everybody! Today i got a new,sealed 9900 from polish carrier. OMG!!! What a beauty. Greetings from Poland.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-11-17 09:50 AM
    Welcome everybody! Today i got a new,sealed 9900 from polish carrier. OMG!!! What a beauty. Greetings from Poland.

Powiem tak - gratulacje.

Getting a new 9900 in 2017 - lucky strike.
    David Tyler and Sue-zz like this.
    01-11-17 03:01 PM
    To fakt. Ale trafił się taki z Plusa. Nówka. Super sprzęt. Data produkcji na pudełku to listopad 2013.

01-11-17 05:25 PM
    My kinda madman!! There's just SOMEthing about that phone..!!

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    01-11-17 09:11 PM
    Well, I figured I'd end up here sooner or later. I just picked up a UK 9900 for the price of a round of drinks, stuck in my Three UK sim and up pops BIS.

I've moved back to BISBerrys after doing some firewall analysis of what Android Marshmallow thinks is security, and am pretty horrified with the amount of data sent to Google and general and privacy intrusions. (Why does a theme manager need to read your SMS?)

I've been on a Curve 9320 for a while, It has the same excellent PIM features, but the keyboard is just too small. But, now, I can afford my first 9900, after five years, and got a 'Grade A' for £30. It has 5 days of calls in the BUYR screen, so I guess it's not quite pristine. I did have a Z10, but it didn't like being washed at 60C with a fast spin cycle.

The Three carrier in the UK has very cheap PAYG rates, 3p for a call, 2p for a text, and 1p a megabyte of data. So I can run the 9900 off contract for almost nothing.

An upside is a free [email protected] email address, which I guess is very secure over BIS.

My only worry is that BIS might be pulled from UK carriers at some point. I hear that Chen said BIS wasn't going away anytime soon, but does anyone have anymore info?

Anyway, back to the Future. The Bold 9900 is here!

Any of you guys set up a 9900 BBM Group? It's the one feature of 9900-ism I can't seem to figure out.

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-bb.jpg
    Last edited by Sue-zz; 01-12-17 at 01:10 AM.
    01-12-17 12:47 AM
    Well, I figured I'd end up here sooner or later. I just picked up a UK 9900 for the price of a round of drinks, stuck in my Three UK sim and up pops BIS.
    Welcome to CB and the 9900 forum! It's good to know that there are other UK users still flying the Bold flag.

I was previously with 3UK but moved to giffgaff where BIS is a free option with any of their goodybag (data packages) and the network coverage / signal strength seems better in my area. The giffgaff BIS / goodybag dataplans work well for me as I occasionally swap my SIM into a Q10.

If you're interested in trying giffgaff feel free to PM me and I'll send you a (mutually beneficial) introductory weblink.

See the following thread for information about a Bold users group: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-bold-1074490/
    Post a request on there and you can join the Still Bold BBM group
    BBerryPowerUser likes this.
    01-12-17 03:41 AM
    Welcome to CB and the 9900 forum! It's good to know that there are other UK users still flying the Bold flag.

If you're interested in trying giffgaff feel free to PM me and I'll send you a (mutually beneficial) introductory weblink
    Thank you, but Three @ 3p a minute, no monthly top-ups, is impossible to beat. I also live 500 metres from a Three cell tower, which in addition to sending microwaves into my house for free, gets me fantastic signal strength.

Three stopped selling BB's last year. I found that annoying, but as with other countries, owning a BlackBerry ('whaaaaaaat???!) seems to be verboten in the UK now. At least some of us live on, driving our steam powered cars, playing vinyl, and making 'phone calls'. :-)

Thanks for group link, added.
    idssteve and BBerryPowerUser like this.
    01-12-17 03:49 AM

I got a new official JM1 battery today, does anyone know if it's a recent battery according to the codes on the battery? Also, the gold extended battery I had when I use it seems to be dead so I plug the charging into the phone and the red led light flashes for about 20 seconds and stops and repeats, does that mean the battery is completely dead and will never work?

Thanks.
    01-12-17 05:52 AM
    My guess would be DC130503 = 2013-05-03 [year-month-day] but's that's not based on any expertise and is simply looking for a logical solution.
    I have a JM1 marked with DC110419 which would tie in approximately with the 2012 date that I bought my first 'refurbished by BlackBerry' 9900
    01-12-17 07:30 AM
    My guess would be DC130503 = 2013-05-03 [year-month-day] but's that's not based on any expertise and is simply looking for a logical solution.
    I have a JM1 marked with DC110419 which would tie in approximately with the 2012 date that I bought my first 'refurbished by BlackBerry' 9900
    Yeah I thought that too, this is what the current battery that I've been using says
    01-12-17 07:39 AM

... I've moved back to BISBerrys after doing some firewall analysis of what Android Marshmallow thinks is security, and am pretty horrified with the amount of data sent to Google and general and privacy intrusions. (Why does a theme manager need to read your SMS?) ...

Welcome aboard!

Out of curiosity, what sort of firewall analysis were you performing? I generally leave that sort of thing to my "smart guys" at work but have been watching wifi activity logs on routers at home. Especially destination IPs. Eye opening. Particularly since bringing a Dtek60 home these past couple weeks. ??

I'm not ready to fashion foil hats (yet, lol ) but Google is positioned to avail access to a LOT of information. Computers, GPS equipped phones, Gmail, Cloud data, etc ... Just ponder a little about what, on this Earth, the all knowing Googleverse does NOT know. Lol. Possible "cause for pause" given Google's demonstrated ethics (re Sun), imo.

As an engineer, "what if?" is embedded into job description. I've long found redundancy and design margins to be dear friends. Collecting all eggs into a single basket too inevitably invites catastrophe. Is Google becoming such a basket? Even if Google's motives were truly benevolent, "what if" malevolent actors ever gain access to that Googleverse of data? Food for ponder.

Speaking of foil hats, if I lived within meters of a significant microwave RF source, as mentioned in your other post, I'd consider fashioning a Faraday cage to shield my home. The discovery curve is still fairly steep for potential RF health implications, imo. Should be fairly easy to determine licensed frequencies from that tower and optimize shield config appropriately. ??

One word of warning... Once muscle memory familiarizes itself with 9900's optimal configuration, cognizant resources can focus more on conversation. Words begin to flow from thought to screen. Almost like thought to vocal chord. 99 has a way of charming the words from your thumb! Forget about "short" posts. Lol.
    Last edited by idssteve; 01-12-17 at 08:48 AM.
    01-12-17 08:05 AM
    Oh my! Cracking bunch in Still Bold BBM. It seems this BISBerry 9900 can can also be used to send new-fangled e-messages....
    01-12-17 09:03 AM
8,754 ... 168169170171172 ...