I'm tempted to buy 9900 after going through these many positive posts

However one thing stopping me i.e. browser. Bb7 browsers are very slow when compared to bb10 especially while loading pages with java script. I can't afford that much slowness. Otherwise I love bb7 than bb10 at any day

I think page lading time of bb7 will be 50% slower than bb10. Not sure abt the reason

Posted via CB10

If you really need the browser for serious purposes, OS 7 is not for you. It won't work properly on some sites, and unless you set the security settings properly, it's vulnerable to the FREAK exploit. Since we haven't had any updates in quite some time, the browser is undoubtedly vulnerable to the numerous security flaws that get patched on Chrome, Firefox, Edge, and Safari on a regular basis.

You can speed up the browser by disabling features (javascript, etc.), but that makes it even less functional.

I wouldn't trust OS 7 apps to be secure either. I use Tapatalk, and log into a couple of social accounts, but I can live with that kind of risk. I wouldn't use the Royal Bank app, even though it was still available in BB World the last time I checked.
    11-02-16 10:33 AM
    I'm tempted to buy 9900 after going through these many positive posts

However one thing stopping me i.e. browser. Bb7 browsers are very slow when compared to bb10 especially while loading pages with java script. I can't afford that much slowness. Otherwise I love bb7 than bb10 at any day

I think page lading time of bb7 will be 50% slower than bb10. Not sure abt the reason

Posted via CB10
    Give me some examples of what you mean by pages with JavaScript, what sites are these on the Internet, just curious. For my general social networks and YouTube and everything else I've got speed that was faster than my iPhone 5c on iOS 9. Be sure to check my Videos in here just a few post below this one to get an idea of what I mean. But I don't know much about JavaScript so I'd like an explanation if I could.
    11-02-16 11:39 AM
    it's vulnerable to the FREAK exploit.

I wouldn't trust OS 7 apps to be secure either. I use Tapatalk, and log into a couple of social accounts, but I can live with that kind of risk. I wouldn't use the Royal Bank app, even though it was still available in BB World the last time I checked.
    For banking I always switch to my iPhone but I don't use apps for banking just calling, so there's probably no point then.

I'd like to know more about stuff like this for example what sites might have the Freak exploit? Probably for what I do and you've seen my apps, it's not much of a worry?
    11-02-16 11:41 AM
    unless you set the security settings properly, it's vulnerable to the FREAK exploit. .
    Is there any links to show how to do this? It might be worth it for some of us..

Complicated process?
    11-02-16 12:03 PM
    Give me some examples of what you mean by pages with JavaScript, what sites are these on the Internet, just curious. For my general social networks and YouTube and everything else I've got speed that was faster than my iPhone 5c on iOS 9. Be sure to check my Videos in here just a few post below this one to get an idea of what I mean. But I don't know much about JavaScript so I'd like an explanation if I could.
    I didn't use 9900 ever but I used 9790. Just try to open any Web site on bb7 and bb10 phone at the sametime, then u will understand the difference
    11-02-16 12:22 PM
    They tried to subtly brand the DTEK50 the successor to the Z30 (instead of Z50), but it just doesn't work. They didn't design the hardware, nor is it their own OS. It's an Alcatel phone with a BlackBerry logo on it, running Google's Android OS with some BlackBerry apps. BlackBerry is trying to put lipstick on a pig and I'm just finding it hard to get excited about any phones they're coming out with now.

Even the rumored Mercury device, if it ever makes it to market, will be difficult for me to like. You can slap a BlackBerry keyboard on an Android phone, but it will never have the tight integration with the OS and apps like BB10 and BBOS. A fingerprint sensor in the space bar? La-dee frickin' da.

I want a BlackBerry designed phone running a BlackBerry designed OS, please. Those are something special. If I have to move on, I'm seriously looking at Windows phone. Heck, even Ubuntu. Or maybe I'll just go back to my 9930 and ride that train to the very end of the line. At least I'll be using a phone from a time when BlackBerry still took pride in their handsets.

Posted from my Z30 via CB10
    You don't like the passport or the Classic?

Posted from my BlackBerry Classic
    11-02-16 01:29 PM
    You don't like the passport or the Classic?

Posted from my BlackBerry Classic
    I don't like the Passport. I bought a SE, used it for 3 days, and sent it back. I did not like the form factor at all, too wide and too heavy. And the typing experience was not at all what I expected - it was worse than I thought.

I haven't tried a Classic, but I'm not entirely convinced it would provide a superior experience over my Q10 - at least not enough of an improvement to justify buying one at a time when BB10 is all but finished as a mobile platform. I like the compact size of my Q10, along with its removable battery and dedicated micro HDMI out. The overall build quality seems to be superior to that of the Classic, based on reviews and photos I've seen.

I'll keep the BB10 phones I have, but I don't know how much longer I'll keep coming back to them. With every passing day BB10 becomes more and more obsolete. Unless the platform is somehow reborn, sees active development and gains support from more third party app developers, there's a good chance the next phone I purchase will not have a BlackBerry logo on it.

I vacillate between being stubbornly optimistic about BB10 and reluctantly coming to grips with the reality of the situation. You can probably guess which perspective I'm seeing at the moment.

Posted from my Z30 via CB10
    11-02-16 03:25 PM
    Well, I for one love my passport se. It's my daily phone. I use it two handed and type with thumbnails. Works great. My second phone is my 9930 which is solely WiFi and kindle reader or cb or some websites. I don't have a Sim to use it as a phone on att.

My most recent phone, coming tomorrow, is an LG phone. I think it'll make a good toy for my dog, who likes to sleep on glassy surfaces. I have no doubt the LG will be the worst smartphone in my collection. Then again, it's a lousy LG lucky L16C which I'm getting for free, so no high expectations.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport SE
    David Tyler likes this.
    11-02-16 04:08 PM
    I didn't use 9900 ever but I used 9790. Just try to open any Web site on bb7 and bb10 phone at the sametime, then u will understand the difference
    I had a 9790 in 2013 and the processor is actually slightly slower than the 9900's (1 GHz vs. 1.2GHz) but also you have to consider many factors like signal strength, wifi and data tower speeds, how much memory is free, etc.

I have shown many times that the browser (mine at least) is more than useable.

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    babugaru1 likes this.
    11-02-16 04:52 PM
    I had a 9790 in 2013 and the processor is actually slightly slower than the 9900's (1 GHz vs. 1.2GHz) but also you have to consider many factors like signal strength, wifi and data tower speeds, how much memory is free, etc.

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    So I've actually been thinking about going back to a 9900. I've had just about every BlackBerry Legacy, BlackBerry 10, PRIV, DTEK50, and iPhones. The iPhones work issued. I'm on AT&T and and really for personal use just need phone, text, email, etc. There are a few brand New Inbox AT&T BlackBerry Bold 9900's available on eBay. What if any limitations might I have if setting up on AT&T? Are you aware of any issues?
    11-02-16 05:10 PM
    So I've actually been thinking about going back to a 9900. I've had just about every BlackBerry Legacy, BlackBerry 10, PRIV, DTEK50, and iPhones. The iPhones work issued. I'm on AT&T and and really for personal use just need phone, text, email, etc. There are a few brand New Inbox AT&T BlackBerry Bold 9900's available on eBay. What if any limitations might I have if setting up on AT&T? Are you aware of any issues?
    I'm on Rogers in Canada and basically I have H plus speeds and there's probably no network limitations that I know of (for myself I mean) but there are a couple of people in here that know about the AT&T network and I'm sure they will chime in hopefully.

You had a lot of newer blackberries like to Dtek50, just curious are you still using them or did you sell them?
    11-02-16 05:48 PM
    I'm on Rogers in Canada and basically I have H plus speeds and there's probably no network limitations that I know of (for myself I mean) but there are a couple of people in here that know about the AT&T network and I'm sure they will chime in hopefully.

You had a lot of newer blackberries like to Dtek50, just curious are you still using them or did you sell them?
    Thanks for your response. Sold them all except I have a DTEK50 that's still within the 30 days to return to BlackBerry. Don't want to start a whole other can of worms but I simply can't deal with Android. Just too many steps to do the easiest of tasks. Just my opinion.
    11-02-16 06:05 PM
    Thanks for your response. Sold them all except I have a DTEK50 that's still within the 30 days to return to BlackBerry. Don't want to start a whole other can of worms but I simply can't deal with Android. Just too many steps to do the easiest of tasks. Just my opinion.
    Ah K cool.

There have been several mentions of AT&T in this thread and what is involved, what works. Might be worth it to go back just a few pages and it was mentioned recently....

11-02-16 06:35 PM
    For banking I always switch to my iPhone but I don't use apps for banking just calling, so there's probably no point then.

I'd like to know more about stuff like this for example what sites might have the Freak exploit? Probably for what I do and you've seen my apps, it's not much of a worry?
    Here's some information: https://censys.io/blog/freak The vulnerability can be patched on the server side. It should have been done long before now. However, that's not the major issue. The more important point is that we haven't received any system updates in years. So the browser is undoubtedly vulnerable to the exploits that have emerged over that period. You're probably no safer using the OS 7.1 browser than you would be running Internet Explorer on Windows XP. Most people wouldn't do that.

But yeah. I don't really care much about any of this, given what I do with the phone. I guess your Twitter might get hijacked or something

Is there any links to show how to do this? It might be worth it for some of us..

Complicated process?
    It's easy, but it may cause other apps to stop functioning properly. http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...urity-1074268/

I had a couple of issues after making this change, but I can't remember what they were.
    11-02-16 06:43 PM
    I can't remember many specifics, but as an example, I had trouble with the rendering of horizontally scrolling pictures/links on ebay.ca and theverge.com (possibly the heaviest site on the internet, btw).

I also had trouble with certain drop-down menus and form submission buttons, but I can't remember where.

My parts device arrived today, so I'll get everything together on the weekend and test a few sites.
    11-02-16 06:49 PM
    Nicely said! What device are you running right now?

I'm currently running on HTC One M8 (Marshmallow) and BlackBerry z10 (10.3).
    11-02-16 07:13 PM
    ...With every passing day BB10 becomes more and more obsolete.
    Umm... to the extent that iOS and Android are depending more and more on centralized AI, I suppose BlackBerry 10 is "becoming obsolete;" however, as far as a self-contained, secure, and _private_ OS, it's hard to beat.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    11-02-16 07:38 PM
    Here's some information: https://censys.io/blog/freak The vulnerability can be patched on the server side. It should have been done long before now. However, that's not the major issue. The more important point is that we haven't received any system updates in years. So the browser is undoubtedly vulnerable to the exploits that have emerged over that period. You're probably no safer using the OS 7.1 browser than you would be running Internet Explorer on Windows XP. Most people wouldn't do that.

But yeah. I don't really care much about any of this, given what I do with the phone. I guess your Twitter might get hijacked or something

It's easy, but it may cause other apps to stop functioning properly. http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...urity-1074268/

I had a couple of issues after making this change, but I can't remember what they were.
    Thanks I appreciate this and I saved your link as an icon on my iPhone and I'm going to read it when I can.

Asked for my rather large Twitter account I actually use the security text verification so anyone trying to hack my Twitter will have to get a text message sent to my phone to be able to do it so good luck with that ;-)

Yeah I just basically Twitter Facebook ,email general Google searches nothing too crazy and I haven't had a problem in almost a year so. And I have my Facebook set up to message me if someone else is trying to login and I can shut it down if I want.

But I definitely want to read about this freak attack and I've actually started a few threads talking about security but either nobody knows about this or no one really cares.
    11-02-16 08:05 PM
    I can't remember many specifics, but as an example, I had trouble with the rendering of horizontally scrolling pictures/links on ebay.ca and theverge.com (possibly the heaviest site on the internet, btw).

I also had trouble with certain drop-down menus and form submission buttons, but I can't remember where.

My parts device arrived today, so I'll get everything together on the weekend and test a few sites.
    OK thanks yeah I don't have any issue with those I know there is a toggle switch for JavaScript on the iPhone and I'm pretty sure there's something for that under settings on the 9900 as well.

Awesome so you're going to swap motherboards and hopefully things will work out. Probably going to be a lot of work doing it from scratch or you going to reestablish everything from a back up?
    11-02-16 08:07 PM
    Yeah personally I just don't know enough about android. I know that my friend who has a Nexus is constantly asked to click something on some pop up screen every time he wants to instal some app. Basically his phone freezes. I have another friend with an old Samsung galaxy S3 or whatever and it always asks for surveys and there's no way to close them, from what I recall. Something like this would drive me nuts and that's why for a modern phone I'm OK with Apple. (Despite my recent issues with jamming on iOS 10, the first iteration) But that said I really wouldn't mind trying something like a D TEC 50 if the price was right and it was used or something in the future. But I'm not too big on changing something if I like it and know it well.
    11-02-16 08:11 PM
    I'm currently running on HTC One M8 (Marshmallow) and BlackBerry z10 (10.3).
    I held a Z 10 for the first time this summer at my electronics store that fixes my phones, nice little device really like the rubberized feel to it, about the size of my iPhone 5c
    11-02-16 08:13 PM
    I held a Z 10 for the first time this summer at my electronics store that fixes my phones, nice little device really like the rubberized feel to it, about the size of my iPhone 5c
    Z10 was prob my favorite BB10. The battery life was terrible! But at least you could swap batteries. I remember after the first few days of having the HUB...there was no turning back. It's just not the same with the lack of apps and it's also not the same on PRIV or DTEK models. It's getting better, but it's just not the same.
    11-02-16 08:25 PM
    Z10 was prob my favorite BB10. The battery life was terrible! But at least you could swap batteries. I remember after the first few days of having the HUB...there was no turning back. It's just not the same with the lack of apps and it's also not the same on PRIV or DTEK models. It's getting better, but it's just not the same.
    Didn't the later BB 10 updates solve the battery issue? I certainly noticed this with iOS devices.
    11-02-16 09:32 PM
    Didn't the later BB 10 updates solve the battery issue? I certainly noticed this with iOS devices.
    To an extent but still was only 2100mAh...and for power users without data compression and the HUB pulling in multiple emails and social media accounts etc...I was flipping batteries mid day. They got the Z30 right. It's like anything else though. Plenty of people still use Z10's and have no problem. It's how you use it
    11-02-16 09:54 PM

Brother, if u don't mind can you check how much time a page is loading on bb7 and bb10 and let us know result

Pls try any mobile site and desktop site

Currently I don't have 9790 also. So I cannot test. If the difference is not much, I will place an order for 9900 today

After seeing ur video, I feel I'm missing 9790. That is beautiful phone. I can type with rocket speed. You need not fully touch keys. Just put ur finger on the keys and it does its job. I like maps, twitter, Fb, excellent camera, music player, video recorder, notes, opera mini, cb and many

I like ucweb on bb7, with 2g network u will get 5g speeds, yes it is true. I never experienced that on any phone. OMG. I used to be on ucweb whole day.

Badly missing bb7

Only problem if I click a photo with flash, it will reboot

Posted via CB10
    11-02-16 11:23 PM
8,754 ... 137138139140141 ...