Speaking of "Always On": On my Classic I can "lock" the Caps or Alt button. No way to do that on these 99s?
    Press + hold "ALT" and press right shift will lock Caps;
    Press + hold "ALT" and press left shift will lock 'Num'.
    To unlock, press either right, or left shift.. :-)
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-07-16 06:05 PM
    Looks like Blackberry thought of everything when they built them

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-07-16 06:12 PM
    They sure did ;-) I've got a note of this in my memo pad. Must've gotten it from some manual. Probably the old-style manual that doesn't seem to exist anymore, unfortunately.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-07-16 06:22 PM
    Thanks for info on Join.

Do you like Beweather? I have been using Accuweather but it seems to be a bit of a memory hog. Sure works great though.

Beweather is good but I have had to uninstall it a couple of times and reinstall it due to it quit working. I don't care for that hassle. Also, I have the free version. I think the paid version is much better.

I am going to check out Accuweather. I don't recall ever using that app.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-07-16 08:07 PM
    Hear hear!

Bold 9900 is theeeee typing experience if you ask me!

and me too!
    09-07-16 08:14 PM
    RM and UR, you two crack me up.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-07-16 08:17 PM
    RM and UR, you two crack me up.
    Ya we should take the show on the road, I'll be the one wearing the little monkey hat with the chin string

Ursus Rufus and janerblue like this.
    09-07-16 10:10 PM
    When I press and hold the dotted BB button, BBM is always there, on every Blackberry I ever had (3) and you know this because you cannot manually "close" these apps like anything else running in the background (as far as I know)
    BBM not always there.

You want to talk in ALL CAPS!!!?? WHY DO YOU WANT TO SHOUT AT PEOPLE LIKE THIS??

I don't know, I don't think you can caps lock every letter but I never had to
    LOLL

All caps not much used no (occasionally) but having the alt lock handy when typing numbers.
    Last edited by Ursus Rufus; 09-08-16 at 04:16 AM.
    09-07-16 10:27 PM
    Ya we should take the show on the road, I'll be the one wearing the little monkey hat with the chin string

I'll get out my organ grinder...

Meet me at Portage & Main. ;P
    09-07-16 10:31 PM
    BBM not always there.
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...abcbbf55d7.jpg

LOLL

All caps not much used no (occasionally) but having the alt lock handy when typing numbers.
    That's weird about your BBM and ok nice save on the numbers excuse, ok ok I almost believe you

09-07-16 10:31 PM
    I'll get out my organ grinder...

Meet me at Portage & Main. ;P
    As long as it impresses the ladies, usually they laugh at my 9900

09-07-16 10:32 PM
    Also....

Was in a very noisy place today, took an important phone call, and there is NO WAY I would have been able to take this call and heard the person on the iphone!! It's like the iphone is "detuned" in regards to the ear speaker. I hate straining my ears on that device to hear the person.

Certain times like today, I'm glad for this. Those of you that know me know that earlier this year my ear speaker blew, and I had to replace it. I think it is a fair tradeoff to be able to take important calls, calls that just cannot wait to call back later.

But I don't know if I am the only one here to have to replace the ear speaker??

I also think that this reflects the "buisness purpose" build of these devices, I mean, it is likely designed for taking calls in environments such as Stock Trading Houses with people shouting, etc....

Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-07-16 11:18 PM
    Closing apps might be the way to go to prevent BB Bold 99 overheating, but it seems to fly against the way Apple says to run their phones. They officially recommend leaving frequently used apps open.
    You could try the BlackBerry application resource monitor, it's quite good at closing memory hogs, find it in the BlackBerry World

https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...0385/?lang=en#

The other one I (and others) recommend is Advance OS and LED, a brilliant app that can automate memory flushing and nightly reboots, and do loads more

https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...countrycode=GB
    Last edited by Fret Madden; 09-08-16 at 10:40 AM. Reason: fixed quote bracket
    idssteve and Ursus Rufus like this.
    09-08-16 03:20 AM
    Beweather is good but I have had to uninstall it a couple of times and reinstall it due to it quit working. I don't care for that hassle. Also, I have the free version. I think the paid version is much better.

I am going to check out Accuweather. I don't recall ever using that app.
    Haven't used the free version for too many years to recall the differences but I never leave home without BeWeather. It's alert function has saved me from tornadoes, floods and ice while traveling in "strange lands" where I wouldn't know what station to tune to or even what county is where. Why do midwestern tornadoes seem to be tracked by county on NOAA? Who EVER knows what county they're driving thru?? Lol.

It took a while to get BeWeather configured to my tastes... things like home screen, font size, etc but I also really like knowing what town I'm driving thru at quick glance of home screen.
    09-08-16 06:40 AM
    Haven't used the free version for too many years to recall the differences but I never leave home without BeWeather. It's alert function has saved me from tornadoes, floods and ice while traveling in "strange lands" where I wouldn't know what station to tune to or even what county is where. Why do midwestern tornadoes seem to be tracked by county on NOAA? Who EVER knows what county they're driving thru?? Lol.

It took a while to get BeWeather configured to my tastes... things like home screen, font size, etc but I also really like knowing what town I'm driving thru at quick glance of home screen.
    We track by counties because tornadoes spawn in the countryside more often than cites, and because tornadoes can be anywhere from a few hundred feet to a mile or two wide with paths that can be completely unpredictable everyone living outside city limits needs a way of being warned quickly. Cities and outlying areas are added to the warnings as the storm approaches. As for what county you're in, watch your signs!

Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-08-16 10:37 AM
    You could try the BlackBerry application resource monitor, it's quite good at closing memory hogs, find it in the BlackBerry World

The other one I (and others) recommend is Advance OS and LED, a brilliant app that can automate memory flushing and nightly reboots, and do loads more

Thanks, as always, mushroom_daddy. Really really appreciate you being around to help out BBOS newbs such as myself.

Still haven't quite built up the confidence to use BBH Tool to load that O2 OS onto my Bold here. (Have been doing stuff like that happily with BB10 for a couple of years now though.) Partly it is just - I am not finding a lot of problems with 1033. Can you tell me what might be the difference? Better battery life or resource management for example?
    Speaking of resource management, I do have ARM installed! First thing I got from BBW. It works great. Sure does close down this CB app an awful lot, hahah.

Now going to look for AOS&LED*
    so thanks for that.

*Note to Ralph, the averse to ALL CAPS* chap: See what I did there?

*See what i did there? ;P

09-08-16 10:46 AM
    Closing apps might be the way to go to prevent BB Bold 99 overheating, but it seems to fly against the way Apple says to run their phones. They officially recommend leaving frequently used apps open.

Always running on my Bold are 3 core apps that can never be "closed": Home. Browser. Phone.
    Add to that the "Enterprise Activation" thing that never stops running but never does anything!
    About core apps. Mine is just the trio of phone browser & Home (notwithstanding that silly BES thing). BBM is not always on. Is that not right?
    Yup the core apps are meant to always be "on." Home, Browser, Phone and BBM. I might have even missed one in this mention.
    I switched to BB10 before the version of 7.1 the 99xx series is running these days, back then there were five core apps that could never be closed: Phone, BBM, Home, Browser, and Email. BBM could be removed but it showed up there if it was installed. I'm wondering if that "Enterprise Activation" showing up on Ursus's screen has something to do with having only three there. And yes, closing apps is best for BBOS - Android and iOS have a different memory management system and it's actually using less battery to leave them "open" as opposed to cold launching and having the app(s) consume battery and CPU cycles to refresh all its info. BBOS goes the other route and uses more battery to run the apps and keep them in memory, and the more that are open the more it has to juggle.

Refresh my memory - if you have running apps open can you Alt-Back and use the Delete key to quickly close them?
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-08-16 10:58 AM
    I switched to BB10 before the version of 7.1 the 99xx series is running these days, back then there were five core apps that could never be closed: Phone, BBM, Home, Browser, and Email. BBM could be removed but it showed up there if it was installed. I'm wondering if that "Enterprise Activation" showing up on Ursus's screen has something to do with having only three there. And yes, closing apps is best for BBOS - Android and iOS have a different memory management system and it's actually using less battery to leave them "open" as opposed to cold launching and having the app(s) consume battery and CPU cycles to refresh all its info. BBOS goes the other route and uses more battery to run the apps and keep them in memory, and the more that are open the more it has to juggle.

Refresh my memory - if you have running apps open can you Alt-Back and use the Delete key to quickly close them?
    Cool tip thanks FM. But ... Hmmm. Not working for me. Might be doing it wrong? I find that unless I keep holding the Alt button the screen disappears. And if I keep holding Alt & tap delete nothing happens.

Further to the always running thing yep thanks for explaining that's what I figured. Appreciate the detailed explication.

I have done several reboots and found that indeed with a fresh restart BBM is always there.
    However unlike with phone browser & home it can actually be closed.

Sent from my Bold 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-08-16 11:28 AM
    I'm wondering if that "Enterprise Activation" showing up on Ursus's screen has something to do with having only three there.
    Enterprise Activation always running even when BBM is also running.

I am thinking of deleting that email I received weeks ago from BlackBerry, that said it was not to be deleted, and used by BB for connection. Am thinking it is BES related.

More research needed.

09-08-16 12:16 PM
    So further to the adventures of...
    My BB Bold 9900 aka "Agent 99"

Have noticed that yes indeed BBM is always running from start but in managing apps I am able to close it. Oddly, without using "Force Close" I cannot in fact close "Messages" once it has been opened.

09-08-16 12:51 PM
    As long as it impresses the ladies, usually they laugh at my 9900

I may have mentioned this before, so forgive please, my forgettery, but you may want to visit little bad old TO sometime: I've noticed carrying a legacy BlackBerry gets a lot of happy interest, down there. If any at all. Certainly haven't seen any eye-rolling or looks of disgust. Then again in Toronto you could paint yourself green & run down the street naked & most ppl wouldn't even bat an eye.

Anyway. Ya. Carrying a 9900 or any PKB device, is a conversation starter. I confirmed this with a Nurse Practitioner @TGH who carries a Bold for personal use & a Classic for work. It does seem as if, so far, employees at one of Toronto's largest medical facilities, all carry a requisite BB10 work device.
    09-08-16 01:10 PM
    I'd like to ask again, if I may?

Can someone please, please, perhaps clarify this for me?

It's about the "weird BlackBerry email" that has been in my mailbox for weeks now. Can someone please confirm I don't actually have to keep this email? Might it be the cause of the always-on "Enterprise Activation" on my Bold? Not getting clear results by researching this on the InterMind...

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-weird-emails-bb2.jpg
    09-08-16 01:14 PM
    Reading this post made me missed my 9900. I owned 5 of them. Everytime it gets lost or got broke, I'd replace it with 9900, still. I'm using Priv but 9900's PKB is better. I might say.
    09-08-16 01:20 PM

I am down to under 100 now in terms of RAM, even when none but the core apps (& that pesky EA thing) are running. So, not sure, about putting this Advance OS and LED app on my Bold, just yet...

Also, just to be clear: Upon a restart, either a battery pull or the "three finger salutation", here are the apps that are running, & in order from left to right:

Home
    Enterprise Activation
    Browser
    BBM
    09-08-16 01:33 PM
    Well.

Speaking of adventure.

Deep breath.

I don't know what happened for sure. But here is a pr�cis of what I do know.

I was having a look at BBH Tools, being very careful to not click anything. My Bold was attached and I was looking at the Phone Tools section.

This is the part where I got up & went to get my cup of tea, and where you remember you have a cat.

What really happened I do not know but when I came back & shushed kitty away, and after BBH had finished with my phone, this is what I have

A bunch of screens like this.

(I've tried BBDTM, as I had 2 or 3 full backups on there. Nothing doing.)

09-08-16 03:35 PM
8,754 ... 99100101102103 ...