I mentioned this once before, but I think it would be a great idea for a simple cell phone to run on rechargable AAA batteries. The old Palm Pilots did this, and they weren’t bulky. For making calls, emails, texts, this phone would never EVER go out of date. Ever. And you would never run out of battery supplies for it.

A lack of batteries is eventual death. Just look at how much a Pre3 battery goes for nowadays amongst collectors of that great, underrated device.

I know no smartphone company would ever go for removable batteries again because (gasp) they want you to keep buying new products, not holding onto what you’ve got forever.
    10-10-18 06:13 PM
    Staples flyer Canada....

10-10-18 06:22 PM
    I mentioned this once before, but I think it would be a great idea for a simple cell phone to run on rechargable AAA batteries. The old Palm Pilots did this, and they weren’t bulky. For making calls, emails, texts, this phone would never EVER go out of date. Ever. And you would never run out of battery supplies for it.

A lack of batteries is eventual death. Just look at how much a Pre3 battery goes for nowadays amongst collectors of that great, underrated device.

I know no smartphone company would ever go for removable batteries again because (gasp) they want you to keep buying new products, not holding onto what you’ve got forever.
    Only way that will ever happen, is rearranging the contacts on a li-ion battery pack, a generic one for instance (and there's plenty!) and use the decoded (or original) chip in-line with the standard controller. It requires some research and development before that can even happen.
    10-10-18 08:50 PM
    Is this something idssteve was mentioning? Perhaps a little more fancy and with the actual correct size battery? Is there a code for the replacement cell?

I haven't taken apart a JM-1 yet but I have a dud or two that I can crack in a little bit...

The only thing is that because the JM-1 is relatively slim, trying to retrofit another battery might be a little more challenging.

I've read on the forums of people trying to use another BB in a different BB phone, with no luck. Saving the chip would be the best way I think, just positive and negative connections to it?

Cheers everyone.

Dave

10-15-18 09:03 AM
    Is this something idssteve was mentioning? Perhaps a little more fancy and with the actual correct size battery? Is there a code for the replacement cell?
    Two things:

1) the correct size replacement battery is important. You don't want to overcharge an undersized battery. Since the circuit board is from the old battery, it might overcharge a smaller cell, which could result in fire or explosion.

2) the person who made that video was smart to leave the original leads on the cell. You can blow up a li-ion or li-po battery during the soldering process by applying too much heat directly to the battery. Don't do this unless you are really confident that you know what you're doing. You may be an expert soldering champion, on par with teenaged Chinese factory workers. I'm not (in fact, my soldering sucks). Crimping or cold soldering would be much smarter for the average bad solderer like me.
    10-15-18 08:43 PM
    the correct size replacement battery is important. You don't want to overcharge an undersized battery. Since the circuit board is from the old battery, it might overcharge a smaller cell, which could result in fire or explosion.
    If anyone has any info on the code or size for the battery, it would be much appreciated!

I suppose if you had a whole fleet of batteries and phones, you would get something like this:

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-gallery_cellular1__main.jpg

Or maybe for the VERY serious battery hobbyist.

From the Cadex website - the home of 'Battery University'
    Last edited by f1junkie; 10-16-18 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Adding image
    10-16-18 07:56 AM
    If anyone has any info on the code or size for the battery, it would be much appreciated!
    The JM1 battery is 1230 mah.

You can buy lipo cells on ebay if you take the dimensions.

You'll find listings like this one (it's just an example and is likely not the right size): https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=FtrxVJtY

The code on the battery 404073 = thickness x width x length, where the dimensions are 4.0 mm x 40 mm x 73 mm. On the battery above (if it was the right size -- and again, it's probably not), you'd want to remove the controller circuitry and attach the leads from the actual cell to the JM1 controller circuitry.

All that being said, I'm not sure about the age or quality of any cells you might find online. You might be better off to search for a JM1 with a 2014 manufacturing date.
    10-16-18 08:53 AM
    The ubiquitous 18650 cell is approximately the same mAh as the JM-1 - for such a common battery, a very smart and skilled person could possibly retrofit an 18650 battery somehow in the battery door?

Seems that many people are using 18650s for projects, so the demand for fresh cells is there?
    10-16-18 07:51 PM
    I just bought a Casio Cassiopeia PDA. I plan to use it as a Rolodex. What a great old device! It runs on AAA batteries for months. A decade from now, when all today’s fancy phones are just dead battery and unfixable, my Cassiopeia will still work. It uses Flash ROM so the memory will be there even if the batteries dead, unlike early Palm PDAs.
    10-16-18 08:12 PM
    Shus!!!!!!

Hmm coincidence you came back when they announce THIS?

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/...te-3605260/amp
    10-16-18 08:22 PM
    The ubiquitous 18650 cell is approximately the same mAh as the JM-1 - for such a common battery, a very smart and skilled person could possibly retrofit an 18650 battery somehow in the battery door?

Seems that many people are using 18650s for projects, so the demand for fresh cells is there?
    I have visions of Red Green and a couple of wraps of duct tape.
    10-16-18 09:01 PM
    Shus!!!!!!

Hmm coincidence you came back when they announce THIS?

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/...te-3605260/amp
    Purely coincidence! It's a weird little second phone (apparently it only works as an addition to a line you already have) and it's quite expensive. I don't know who the evil genius behind that one is, but if it proves anything, it's that TCL overcharges for hardware whether there is a keyboard attached to it or not.
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    10-16-18 09:03 PM
    Welcome back Shuswap! Glad you seem OK!

You are totally right about soldering cells... Much too slow-too much heat soak into the cells... Which is why a specialized version of "spot welding" has dominated battery connections. Spot welding can be very fast, limiting time for heat soak. The equipment can be surprisingly simple & inexpensive BUT, "Red Green" types need to understand the hazards they're messing with... Lol. LiOn energy density can pose severe burn hazard!! Lol.

We've used a lot of 18650s for various things, including power bricks, back before "larger" power bricks were available. "Canned" cells, like 18650, can enjoy superior reliability because they aren't so easily de-laminated campared with envelop cells, among other things. Which is why Tesla favors the configuration. Tough on energy density, tho. Hard to stuff 18650s onto a 9900 but smaller canned cells DO fit and work nicely... With a protrusion out the back. Lol. I'll quiz my "smart guys" about what they've been using.
    Last edited by idssteve; 10-17-18 at 07:48 AM.
    10-17-18 07:38 AM
    An 18650 li-ion average capacity is between 3,000 mAh (you'll find them in single cell power banks) and 2000 mAh. Since the unprotected cell voltage is pretty much the same (4.2V max, 3.9-3.2 operational, 2.2 critically low), it should be detected. Just have to ensure the data lines are in-line OR it'll run it so low the device will black out on you. Never forget the li-ion charger!

Forgot to mention, a li-ion cell is the same height as the 9900, so yes, the back would need a compartment for sure glued or velcro'd to the backing, and wires connecting to the positive/negative and data lines (in/out) with the decoder in place. It'll be as easy as swapping a cell, no doubt.

Typed using my BlackBerry Passport running the latest QNX software release 10.3.3 on Freedom Mobile DC-HSPA+
    10-17-18 08:06 AM
    Welcome back Shuswap! Glad you seem OK!
    Thanks Steve I'm fine. I just had a major self-supervised project to undertake at work this summer and figured the 'rip off the band-aid' approach would be the only way to kill all my social media distractions (forums, reddit, twitter) and stay focused. So one night I just deleted all my accounts and went cold turkey

Glad to be back, but it's weird to have to have all of my posts approved by a moderator. I can't remember how long that lasts.
    10-17-18 09:33 AM

You are totally right about soldering cells... Much too slow-too much heat soak into the cells... Which is why a specialized version of "spot welding" has dominated battery connections. Spot welding can be very fast, limiting time for heat soak. The equipment can be surprisingly simple & inexpensive BUT, "Red Green" types need to understand the hazards they're messing with... Lol. LiOn energy density can pose severe burn hazard!! Lol.

We've used a lot of 18650s for various things, including power bricks, back before "larger" power bricks were available. "Canned" cells, like 18650, can enjoy superior reliability because they aren't so easily de-laminated campared with envelop cells, among other things. Which is why Tesla favors the configuration. Tough on energy density, tho. Hard to stuff 18650s onto a 9900 but smaller canned cells DO fit and work nicely... With a protrusion out the back. Lol. I'll quiz my "smart guys" about what they've been using.
    Perhaps someone crafty could modify the back door with some creative fiberglass skills? That would make the phone harder to carry but in the future if people are still using the 99, beggars can't be choosers! I envision the modified back door to look like the hood of a muscle car or something
    10-17-18 12:42 PM
    -sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    10-17-18 05:34 PM
    no idea why that posted above. was simply popping in my batteries to the 9900 to check them, browsed to my old thread and BAM! The next think I know my iphone alerted ne that I posted when I didn't.

Man I think the 9900 missed this thread.....

Also feels so alien to type on this thing but it is a lot more rewarding than any glass slab.

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    10-17-18 05:38 PM
    Here's a Greasemonkey script for anyone who uses the forum index but doesn't want to see *everything* in the index. I never look at the Android section, so I've removed it.

I suspect some of you don't look in the Android section either.

However the script is set up so that you can remove any section you like. It should be fine to post the link here, since we're off topic anyways.

https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/37...ess-crackberry
    Last edited by Shuswap; 10-23-18 at 07:55 PM.
    10-17-18 06:59 PM
    Haha... Started into this week committed to K1. Client called late yesterday just to see if it was really me he'd been waiting on between replies. And if I'm OK. Lol. He's typically at his desktop rushing to keep up with my left thumb on 99. Hung up, grabbed "Agent 99" and finally got caught back up today. Ugg.. A year into The BIG K, and type rate is still 1/3 of Bold. I'm really, REEEELLY, gonna miss Agent 99. Clients too. Lol.
    Last edited by idssteve; 10-17-18 at 10:26 PM.
    10-17-18 10:09 PM
    Haha... Started into this week committed to K1. Client called late yesterday just to see if it was really me he'd been waiting on between replies.
    I don't know if I am any faster on the physical keyboard. I have a Xiaomi Mi A1 and I am pretty fast typing on glass. Also, the autocorrect is excellent.

That being said, I hate typing on glass. I have to look a lot when typing and the whole thing just doesn't feel right. On a physical keyboard, I rarely lift my thumbs. They just glide over the buttons and find their way home without a second thought.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-17-18 11:37 PM
    Hey Shus, believe it or not I bought a little 7 inch Samsung Tab A just to learn Android, it’s not bad but a LOT of maintenance. I’m willing to bet 90% of android users on their phones don’t clear the cache or maintain some kind of proper malware app on it. I am noticing that the miscellaneous files are always up to 100 MB or more every day so you constantly have to clear that out under “data”, and when you only have an 8 GB device and not all apps can be moved to the microSD card you have to maximize as much space as you can. For security I use Bitdefender (top rated) it’s only $1.50 a month and Netguard which actually blocks the Wi-Fi signal to all or most of your apps when you’re at a public Wi-Fi. Considering it’s running lollipop 5.1 I would never put a bank app on it but I also don’t feel safe enough running it straight out of the box at public Wi-Fi like I have to be sometimes. With all the problems/glitches right now happening with the iPhone XS I don’t even think I would one one to replace my iPhone 7. I’ll wait a full year if I have to. But in the meantime if I need to replace the 7, I would get a cheaper Motorola E5 play or the new G6. Probably the G6 because it will be getting android pie 9.

But yeah it was pretty cheap so I thought I would just play around with this new tablet, so I did join Android Central.

Also been playing around with an RSC nano dash cam which has been great, and I wanted to find a way to rig it so it would run all night long because we had a rash of thefts from our underground Parkade. So I bought a 20,000 mA power bank from Walmart and that’s enough to power for three full nights. In the daytime I just plug it directly into the cigarette lighter as I’m driving but I didn’t want to put a drain overnight on my car battery when it is parked. There are hardwiring kits you can get but I don’t really want to mess around with that. So I’m also finding the DashCam Talk Forum in Tapatalk pretty interesting also.

My cam has captured about 7 different people trying everyone’s doors on our cars and my footage was some of the best that the police said they ever saw. I always backin to my parking spot so I have the best vantage point covering about 25 cars in total.

10-17-18 11:57 PM
    I don't know if I am any faster on the physical keyboard. I have a Xiaomi Mi A1 and I am pretty fast typing on glass. Also, the autocorrect is excellent.

That being said, I hate typing on glass. I have to look a lot when typing and the whole thing just doesn't feel right. On a physical keyboard, I rarely lift my thumbs. They just glide over the buttons and find their way home without a second thought.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Yep. Called muscle memory. Something that works most efficiently with tactile feedback. Tactile feedback utterly absent on glass slabs. Which is a big part of why huge form factors contribute to VKB precision. Larger targets make easier targets. Especially if the virtual keys are still visible while thumb is covering them. Lol. I actually achieve slightly "faster" type rates on my vkb GIANT D60 slab than on pkb BIG K. If typing something that can tolerate auto correction. A rare day for me. Lol. Zero error type rates are the only ones relevant to my particular use case. A single character error in connection diagram nomenclature can be catastrophic, for example. BIG K's capacitve KB is utterly incompatible with "sliding thumb" typing style, like you and I do. Lol.

Huge & thin form factors that benefit VKB so nicely are counterproductive to PKB performance imo. Chassis stability is essential to assure a physical key will be where, and when, muscle memory expects to find it. Stability afforded by grasp. Grasp achieved through reasonable sizing and chassis THICKness. Which is part of why extended battery extended cover improves my 9900 typing proficiency.

My best single thumb type rate ever is still on tiny but thick 9650, tho. I rate it about 105% of 9900 "gold standard". Lol. Even tho I've so rarely touched it since 2011. Next best is our beloved 9900. Slightly bigger & thinner handicaps 9900 slightly. If 9650 enjoyed 9900 processor, it'd be my all time fav. Lol. I rate slightly larger Q10 about 95% of 9900. Exquisite typing but miserable text editing. Especially for spreadsheets. Next is oversized Classic. About 85%. Passport about 50%. Poor BIG K only achieves about 35% of 9900 type rate. All single thumb, zero error. K2 seems somewhat improved over K1 but mine isn't very compatible with VZW so I lack experience with it ... Lol.

Clearly, size impacts PKB performance negatively. Has K1 finally discovered a size threshold where PKB suffers compared with similarly sized VKB? ??? Seems so, in my hand, at least.

The other aspect about device size is availability. Devices too cumbersome for easy availability tend to increase response time. Too frequently I'll defer response waiting for more convenient conditions. Depending on what's happening while living life. Larger, less convenient, devices negatively impact real time response delay. That client, surprised by uncharacteristic delays from me, called to offer to reschedule our work if I was involved in something at my end... Lol. I explained that I WAS involved in wrestling BIG K. Lol. Things just didn't seem "normal" to him without Agent 99... Lol.
    f1junkie likes this.
    10-18-18 05:22 AM
    Hey Shus, believe it or not I bought a little 7 inch Samsung Tab A just to learn Android...

Also been playing around with an RSC nano dash cam which has been great...
    Looks like a nice little tablet. I thought about getting one of those instead of a new phone (it would have been just as good in many ways, and better in terms of screen real estate), but in the end the vanilla android and regular updates on the Xiaomi Mi A series got me. I wanted something as close to the old Nexus phones as possible, so that the bootloader can be unlocked and the phone can be rooted easily. There are a few apps that I like (including AFWall+ for firewall and GMD Gesture Control) that require root, and when it gets old, it will be fun to install custom ROMs on.

As for dashcams, I really need one. My friend was in an accident earlier this year and the dashcam footage made it clear that he wasn't at fault. I'll have a look that RSC nano cam. Sounds like it might be good.

It must be kind of interesting to watch what goes on at night in the parkade. If I did that, I'm sure it would be all raccoons, deer and bears.
    10-18-18 09:11 AM
    BIG K's capacitve KB is utterly incompatible with "sliding thumb" typing style, like you and I do. Lol.
    Hmmm. I never considered that. For that reason alone, the K2 LE would be a better choice for me.

If they make a successor model, without the capacitive buttons under the screen and with the new Android Pie gesture controls, I'd probably buy one. It would be so close to a Q10 / Palm Pixi that it would probably be bearable.
    10-18-18 09:19 AM
8,754 ... 325326327328329 ...