Nothing faster for receiving emails than my vzw 99. Typically several minutes before Classic or K1 receive the same message.
    That tallies with my experience, and it the one the reasons I persist with the 9900 in 2018. Just yesterday evening I made, using my Macbook, a last minute online booking for a trip to the cinema, about 5 minutes before we needed to leave the house. Looking and waiting at Mac mail, my confirmation Email refused to appear, impatient finger tapping and muttering ....
    Need not have worried, went downstairs, picked up the 9900 and there it was in my inbox. I just love that little red spark that indicates new mail.
    I commute on the train and spend a lot of time fielding emails from my Bold, and colleagues are often impressed at how efficiently I can communicate while on the rails.
    Once again, here I am 'preaching to converted' -- we all know that the 9900 is a thoroughbred, communication workhorse
    anon(10321802) likes this.
    01-20-18 03:30 AM
    That tallies with my experience, and it the one the reasons I persist with the 9900 in 2018. Just yesterday evening I made, using my Macbook, a last minute online booking for a trip to the cinema, about 5 minutes before we needed to leave the house. Looking and waiting at Mac mail, my confirmation Email refused to appear, impatient finger tapping and muttering ....
    Need not have worried, went downstairs, picked up the 9900 and there it was in my inbox. I just love that little red spark that indicates new mail.
    I commute on the train and spend a lot of time fielding emails from my Bold, and colleagues are often impressed at how efficiently I can communicate while on the rails.
    Once again, here I am 'preaching to converted' -- we all know that the 9900 is a thoroughbred, communication workhorse
    Yep. 99's BIS push is a big part of the 24/7 real time availability clients, coworkers, colleagues, family, etc have grown to expect. The Sun never sets on my global client base, after all. Lol. Also the collaborative UX and form factor assist "real time" replies while living a life. Things like riding rail, bus, air, while rushing thru terminal with briefcase in right hand, pushing shopping cart at market (pulling is more efficient, imo. Lol), replying over mealtime without disrupting fork hand priorities (lol), replying from bed, walking the dog, brushing teeth, etc, etc... All contribute to daily productivity that just doesn't happen as efficiently when lugging bigger, less collaborative, handsets.

Afaik, K1 is really good for an Android. BUT, the thought of trying to incorporate it into a 24/7 availability lifestyle, without Bold style collaboration, is enough to prompt consideration of retirement! Again!! Lol.
    01-20-18 04:28 AM
    SOMEone, a couple hundred pages ago in this very thread, once refered to their Bold as "Agent 99". As in Max Smart's efficiently competent colleague... Does anyone recall who that was? I always found that reference intriguingly appropriate for our 99s and might wish to use it occasionally myself... if who ever was first using it didn't mind me borrowing it...???

My love/hate relationship with K1 might find too ready association with KAOS, lol. BUT competently collaborative " Agent 99" seems perfectly suited association with our 99s. Lol.

The things a person ponders during "decompression time" ... lol.
    01-20-18 06:45 AM
    One thing I really like about K1 is how keyboard and its "sort of toolbelt" lights up responding to touching the capacitive KB. Nice touch for seeing in the dark. Lol. Of course 99 requires an actual button press to "wake up". BUT, since 99 is " type by feel" capable, no need to look at the KB or toolbelt to begin with. Imo.
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    01-20-18 07:01 AM
    SOMEone, a couple hundred pages ago in this very thread, once refered to their Bold as "Agent 99". As in Max Smart's efficiently competent colleague... Does anyone recall who that was?
    Wasn't it David Tyler? lol I don't know how to "@" someone with a space in their username.
    01-20-18 08:00 AM
    Works well, many thanks!
    Hey, if you're still using the Google News site, I'm converting it into a much better web app (which I might be able to package up with BlackBerry WebWorks later -- I'm not sure). Anyways, the new link is here: NewsG Web - Powered by Google News RSS Feeds

Let me know if you find any bugs...
    01-20-18 09:43 AM
    Wasn't it David Tyler? lol I don't know how to "@" someone with a space in their username.
    You can usually get him via the BBM Still Bold group, we've been exchanging a few messages recently. DavidT has several BBM user-names linked to his miscellaneous BB handsets.
    01-20-18 12:30 PM
    Hey, if you're still using the Google News site, I'm converting it into a much better web app (which I might be able to package up with BlackBerry WebWorks later -- I'm not sure). Anyways, the new link is here: NewsG Web - Powered by Google News RSS Feeds

Let me know if you find any bugs...
    Nice work!
    Took me a couple of minutes to figure out how to move on from the landing page to the news, but it is Saturday evening, I've had a glass of wine and my brain is on a go slow

Perhaps a small help 'what to do' text on the landing page?

What does mobilizer do?
    Last edited by mushroom_daddy; 01-20-18 at 02:24 PM.
    01-20-18 12:36 PM
    Afaik, K1 is really good for an Android. BUT, the thought of trying to incorporate it into a 24/7 availability lifestyle, without Bold style collaboration, is enough to prompt consideration of retirement! Again!! Lol.
    The K1 is great for an Android, but that's largely because it has a keyboard, and BB are doing their best to 'secure' the Android OS. I'm enjoying mine and I'm hoping it will be the first in a developmental line of BBmobile Android handsets with a pkb. If they do eventually turn off BIS, I'm probably going to end up on the K2 or K3 -- let's hope the range eventually evolves into a genuine replacement for the 9900.
    I'm not holding my breath, but ever hopeful ....
    Last edited by mushroom_daddy; 01-20-18 at 02:24 PM.
    idssteve likes this.
    01-20-18 12:44 PM
    Hah! I thought it was _you_ Steve! My comment was that the Bold had a certain "Bond... _James_ Bond" elegance -- but I'm pretty sure someone else gets credit for"Agent 99.”
    01-20-18 02:25 PM
    Check out the following post
    /blackberry-bold-series-f235/9900-resurgence-popularity-1073999-post12564387/

I belive that we should be crediting Urfus Rufus for 'Agent 99'
    idssteve and anon(8063781) like this.
    01-20-18 03:07 PM
    Check out the following post
    https://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?p=12564387

I belive that we should be crediting Urfus Rufus for 'Agent 99'
    Haha... Ah yes! That credit goes to Urfus Rufus!! Back on about page 90! Lol. Haven't heard from him lately...???

So long as we know who to credit and he doesn't get the "wrong idea" about naming after his "sweet heart"... Lol.
    01-20-18 03:36 PM
    Was there ever an "Agent 87"?? In ANSI function #s , an 86 device represents a lock out relay. Typically triggered by companion 87 current differential relay... Never heard if Max (Agent 86) ever interacted with an Agent 87?? Lol. No standardized ANSI function # for 99,tho... Lol.
    01-20-18 03:44 PM
    The K1 is great for an Android, but that's largely because it has a keyboard, and BB are doing their best to 'secure' the Android OS. I'm enjoying mine and I'm hoping it will be the first in a developmental line of BBmobile Android handsets with a pkb. If they do eventually turn off BIS, I'm probably going to end up on the K2 or K3 -- let's hope the range eventually evolves into a genuine replacement for the 9900.
    I'm not holding my breath, but ever hopeful ....
    Well, Classic's toolbelt would fit nicely on K1 and contribute superb functionality for the gargantuan thing, imo. I frequently operate my K1 with a regular bluetooth mouse, so cursor capability IS baked in... Trackpad??

Of course I WAS hoping & wishing SOMEone at TCL might see this thread and possibly discover appreciation for the countless attributes baked into our compact 9900s! Little chance they'll stumble onto this thread here in the Rehab forum... Lol. Here's to wishing & dreaming for K99!! ... No breath holding here, either... Lol.
    01-20-18 03:57 PM
    Nice work!
    Took me a couple of minutes to figure out how to move on from the landing page to the news, but it is Saturday evening, I've had a glass of wine and my brain is on a go slow

What does mobilizer do?
    Good idea re: the help text. Will do.

Mobilizer loads the pages using Google Web Light, which compresses the data and formats the pages for mobile devices.
    01-20-18 06:46 PM
    Nice work!

What does mobilizer do?
    I've added a 'run-once' message to that landing/preferences page. It only comes up the first time you use the site (or if you delete your cookies!), and explains what the settings do. Thanks for the feedback!
    01-20-18 07:53 PM
    If TCL ever releases a Bold-like phone running a forked version of Android with all the tracking crap removed, I will beg them to take my money in exchange for one.
    ^^THIS^^ !!!! SOooo many have begged for SOooo long for just THIS! Replicating their single most successful, and enduring, model of near perfection SHOULD be a no-brainer!! Precious little of ANYthing RIM/BBRY has done these past 7+ years betrays much evidence of "brain" to begin with, I suppose. Lol.

Instead, we get bigger and bigger and bigger handsets providing less and less communications competency. Imo. It's been too painfully obvious that glass phreaks have long ago hijacked BB and even CB itself, imo. Glass phreaks with precious little understanding of PKB HMI dynamics... Nor do they even care to understand WHY anyone might even want such things! Lol.

It's as if Harley hired a team from Boeing and then wondered why the new motorcycle models look & work like 747 !! Lol. Just wishing someone at TCL/BB might go pick up a working 9900 and actually USE and live with the thing long enough to appreciate WHY it was so successful and WHY it's the size it is! Of course they only have a couple yrs to do that with anything resembling a fully functional BIS 99. After that, rediscovering the secrets to 99's exquisite UX ergonomics might never happen. Once again, humanity forgets more than it's learned... Even Stradivari took his secrets with him... Lol.
    rayporsche and anon(10321802) like this.
    01-21-18 09:00 AM
    Is anybody still able to use their Whatsapp on their 9900 ? mine is still working if i change the date in my phone a few times per day.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-21-18 09:16 AM
    If TCL ever releases a Bold-like phone running a forked version of Android with all the tracking crap removed, I will beg them to take my money in exchange for one.
    ANDROID USERS: TO AVOID MALWARE, TRY THE F-DROID APP STORE

Is this, at least in part, an answer to your (Android) dreams?

https://www.wired.com/story/android-...les-app-store/
    https://f-droid.org/en/
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    01-22-18 08:14 AM

One small step toward an "awakening"? Lol. (Remember "wake up!" ?? Lol). Google demonstrated their "open source" ethics in the way they treated SUN. Imo. I'd wrest my case there if the globe weren't populated by even LESS scrupulous actors... Lol.

Any luck with k1 on FOSS-Droid?
    01-22-18 09:02 AM

I love F-Droid, but I’m also talking about Google’s own embedded tracking through Google Play Services.
    01-22-18 09:03 AM
    I love F-Droid, but I’m also talking about Google’s own embedded tracking through Google Play Services.
    In order to get free of Play Services, you'd need to be able to load an AOSP (or other stripped down version, or possibly LineageOS?) ROM from a source you trust.

Of course, I suppose the most trustworthy source is yourself. I don't know how hard it is to cook a ROM, but it might be worth it if you had a device you really liked, and that device was capable of loading one.

Sadly, there is no such BlackBerry.
    01-22-18 09:41 AM
    Any luck with k1 on FOSS-Droid?
    I haven't tried, yet. To be honest, I tend only to use my K1 (and any other Android) at home on my, what I feel is a relatively secure WiFi network; but who knows.
    My app requirements are relatively modest and I'm probably also suffering from 'ignorance is bliss' when it comes to Android tracking. I don't mistrust Google, any more than any other corporate (tech) monster that's after my money ... But I'm enjoying the discussions on this and other forums..
    01-22-18 02:28 PM
    I haven't tried, yet. To be honest, I tend only to use my K1 (and any other Android) at home on my, what I feel is a relatively secure WiFi network; but who knows.
    My app requirements are relatively modest and I'm probably also suffering from 'ignorance is bliss' when it comes to Android tracking. I don't mistrust Google, any more than any other corporate (tech) monster that's after my money ... But I'm enjoying the discussions on this and other forums..

My biggest heartburn with the whole thing really isn't with Google. Market forces might keep Google at least projecting the appearance of caring about "customer" privacy... Lol. Of course, since end users really don't cut checks to Google, identifying who their real customer is might prove worthy of effort...

My biggest long term concern is the mountain of data Google's collecting on EVERY thing & person and what despot might be drooling over hacking into that... If not already... ??? Lol. Access to such data might greatly assist efficiency of whatever purges a future "Stalin" might pursue... Regardless of how "innocent" Google might manage to "appear" in all of that... Lol.
    01-22-18 02:50 PM
    The fact that this thread is closed is too heavy-handed for my taste. I don't understand the recent events surrounding this 'resurgence' thread. Anyways, it's good that @Michniks knows where we are again....
    RaybanRJ and rayporsche like this.
    01-22-18 08:06 PM
8,754 ... 306307308309310 ...