In 2010 I got rid of my Microsoft PC because I had nothing but trouble with it. Later that year I got the iPad1, but in August 2011 is when I got my first BlackBerry the 9780 so I’ve never connected a blackberry to a Microsoft computer. I’ve tried several times to connect my BlackBerry with the iPad but that was when Apple never played nice with other manufacturers and it would never connect. I’ve never updated my 9900 I’m running, the older software has been great. However I cannot say that I had a nice time with my 9790, which I loved very much, Because it never liked the latest version of 7.1, and I had it done many times at the Electronics place where I bought it. Lots of jamming lots of problems so that’s why when I got this 9900 and it worked perfectly I just left it.

I had the 9790 for four months it just constantly jammed and I should’ve actually had them put an older version of OS7 on it and it probably would’ve been fine.
    You should've tried messing around with the OS. It was fun for me. And perhaps you could've find an OS that work best for your 9790, an OS from a different carrier or a hybrid.
    Couldn't expect too much from the 9790 though. It was a cheap build version of Blackberry and there were complaint about stability, battery drain and so on. But it looks nice. I've got one with a pod for it in my collection - it's not a drop-and-forget pod like the pods for earlier models.
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    01-16-18 10:38 PM
    My 9930 was waiting for me at home after me being out of town for a week. It’s in remarkable shape for $25. Looks like it was barely used, if at all. Updating it to the latest OS now. Not sure if I’m going to use it as my daily, but I’ll enjoy playing with it for a bit, anyway.
    Attachment 433355
    Welcome home!! Are you on VZW? I just set up a "new" one & carried it with me for a few days. Maps, Cloud for Onedrive, Tune In, Pocket 10C SE, Unit Converter Pro, etc seem to be working still. Really miss Dropbox and BeWeather. The Weather Network app keeps track of current location conditions nicely displaying on home screen. Weather bug still works ok. Fwiw.

I set texts added to Messages app which is opened from within nearly any app thru convenience key. Very, VERY, muscle memory friendly for checking msgs. Also like to set "P" for most used speed dial #... Easily found by feel. ... Also the little teet on "5/D" easily found by feel... 9930 is a muscle memory master!

It's certainly a typing master. AND a spreadsheet master! I frequently deferred longer typing tasks for desktop duties back during my year long Z/Q experiment. Now days, I'll grab 99 from its cradle located just next to desktop PC kb for such duties! Compared with desktop PC, I find 99 to be quicker, more comfortable, and generally less stressful to relax kicked back in chair. MS should include 99 style handsets with each copy of Excel! Imo. Lol.

Keeping 99 in hand while living life, throughout the day, you might be amazed at how much typing can get accomplished during "downtime" throughout the day.
    01-17-18 03:35 AM
    Welcome home!! Are you on VZW? I just set up a "new" one & carried it with me for a few days. Maps, Cloud for Onedrive, Tune In, Pocket 10C SE, Unit Converter Pro, etc seem to be working still. Really miss Dropbox and BeWeather. The Weather Network app keeps track of current location conditions nicely displaying on home screen. Weather bug still works ok. Fwiw.

I set texts added to Messages app which is opened from within nearly any app thru convenience key. Very, VERY, muscle memory friendly for checking msgs. Also like to set "P" for most used speed dial #... Easily found by feel. ... Also the little teet on "5/D" easily found by feel... 9930 is a muscle memory master!

It's certainly a typing master. AND a spreadsheet master! I frequently deferred longer typing tasks for desktop duties back during my year long Z/Q experiment. Now days, I'll grab 99 from its cradle located just next to desktop PC kb for such duties! Compared with desktop PC, I find 99 to be quicker, more comfortable, and generally less stressful to relax kicked back in chair. MS should include 99 style handsets with each copy of Excel! Imo. Lol.

Keeping 99 in hand while living life, throughout the day, you might be amazed at how much typing can get accomplished during "downtime" throughout the day.
    I'm not back on VZW yet. But if I decide to start using my 9930 as my daily, I want to use VZW's 3G network, as I live in a somewhat rural area.

Right now I'm actually leaning towards getting a Q10.

My thumbs have missed the BlackBerry keyboard!

Posted from my BlackBerry Bold 9930
    01-17-18 06:59 AM
    I'm not back on VZW yet. But if I decide to start using my 9930 as my daily, I want to use VZW's 3G network, as I live in a somewhat rural area.

Right now I'm actually leaning towards getting a Q10.

My thumbs have missed the BlackBerry keyboard!

Posted from my BlackBerry Bold 9930
    I know the feeling!
    Muscle memory can be addictive also! Lol.
    01-17-18 07:35 AM
    By far my favorite BlackBerry of all time. A close second for me is the World Edition w/camera. Lol.
    01-17-18 11:53 AM
    Really miss Dropbox and BeWeather. The Weather Network app keeps track of current location conditions nicely displaying on home screen. Weather bug still works ok. Fwiw.
    BeWeather (free) still works OK on my 9900, but only on when connected by WiFi. I think we've discussed this before? If I recall correctly, its no longer possible to register / pay for the BeWeather app. Shuswap has updated the Working, Dead Apps sticky thread accordingly.
    Pity that its no longer available to buy, BeWeather has really nice graphics that were well-suited to the 9900 screen.
    I also have the Weather Channel app, for when I need more locations/info than can be used on the free version of BeWeather, or when I can't get WiFi, but the graphics are smaller and harder to read (with my ageing eyes)
    Last edited by mushroom_daddy; 01-18-18 at 04:53 PM.
    01-17-18 04:53 PM
    You should've tried messing around with the OS. It was fun for me. And perhaps you could've find an OS that work best for your 9790, an OS from a different carrier or a hybrid.
    Couldn't expect too much from the 9790 though. It was a cheap build version of Blackberry and there were complaint about stability, battery drain and so on. But it looks nice. I've got one with a pod for it in my collection - it's not a drop-and-forget pod like the pods for earlier models.
    I liked the KB on the 9790 but it was more smooth than a 9900. The 9900 is a little more “clicky” and I think that is why it is also so addictive.
    01-17-18 05:11 PM
    I don’t think my native Twitter app works on the 9900 anymore. (Then again I was travelling and on some poor wifi).

How is everyone else’s?
    01-17-18 05:12 PM
    I don’t think my native Twitter app works on the 9900 anymore. ...
    How is everyone else’s?
    No problems with my 9900 Twitter app, working fine here, in the UK
    01-18-18 12:20 AM
    BeWeather (free) still works OK on my 9900, but only on when connected by WiFi. I think we've discussed this before? If I recall correctly, its no longer possible to register / pay for the BeWeather app. Schuswap has updated the Working, Dead Apps sticky thread accordingly.
    Pity that its no longer available to buy, BeWeather has really nice graphics that were well-suited to the 9900 screen.
    I also have the Weather Channel app, for when I need more locations/info than can be used on the free version of BeWeather, or when I can't get WiFi, but the graphics are smaller and harder to read (with my ageing eyes)
    Yeah... BeWeather's certainly a fave and still works on my old 9930. Great for traveling. No way to register new install, tho. Bellshare & bbw will still take your money but I've found no pathway to registration for this newer 9930 I've set up. Quite the pity.
    01-18-18 04:54 AM
    No problems with my 9900 Twitter app, working fine here, in the UK
    Same here in the USA, it even works fine in the 9000 too.
    01-18-18 06:53 AM
    SKYNET is almost online!

Google's Gboard might soon do our texting for us
    http://a.mynews.ly/!MD.H2_db
    01-18-18 09:33 PM
    Just climbed into motel bed with wife and noticed I'd forgotten chargers for phones. No problem. Just shut down K1 & Classic. 99's 3600mah mugen will comfortably ride thru the night. Got a spare ready to swap, jic. Just exchanged messages with grandkids. Single handed, overhead. Wife on right arm. A cherished nightly routine. 99 in its element. . 'Night all...
    RaybanRJ and anon(10321802) like this.
    01-18-18 10:38 PM
    Note the smoke detector on motel ceiling. Overhead position doesn't slow my thumb at_all! With 99, at least. Photo snapped a few yrs ago by wife laying on right arm. Frequently my real time "Grammar proofer". Lol. Especially while messaging grandkids b4 bedtime!
    Attached Thumbnails 9900:Resurgence of popularity!-p1050164.jpg  
    anon(10321802) and littlebuff like this.
    01-19-18 08:31 AM
    After a few days of experimentation, it pains me to say that I won't be using a 9930 as my daily driver again.

As brilliant as it is in so many ways that matter, too many of my requirements are beyond its abilities.

And as new security threats come to light like KRACK, Spectre, and Meltdown - threats to which BBOS and BB10 devices will forever remain vulnerable - if I'm going to use a smartphone at all, I feel it should be one that still receives regular OS updates and patches. That means a Q10 is no longer in the cards, either.

The 99XX still represents the best UX I've ever had on a smartphone. For me, its typing experience is second to none. The "palmable" form factor is so versatile. It just doesn't have enough of what I need/want in a smartphone to sway me back.

If TCL ever releases a Bold-like phone running a forked version of Android with all the tracking crap removed, I will beg them to take my money in exchange for one.

Until then, my options are to stay with an iPhone or maybe try Windows 10 Mobile again before Microsoft kills support in 2019.

Going back to a basic phone is still a possibility, too.

I thought about keeping the 9930 as a "souvenir" - it would make a good desk clock. But that would be contrary to my newly embraced push for an essentialist lifestyle. I'm trying to be more intentional about the material possessions I bring into my life.

Hey Steve, could you use a spare, slightly used VZW 9930 in good shape? I'll ship it to you.
    01-19-18 10:11 AM
    Why not use the 9930 as a basic phone then?
    01-19-18 10:37 AM
    Why not use the 9930 as a basic phone then?
    Good suggestion! I've thought about that. But I'm probably going to eventually rule out a basic phone because I would have to supplement with a tablet or other smartphone, which conflicts with my desire to declutter. Of course, essentialism isn't about living with nothing, it's about being intentional with what you allow into your life. If it adds value, then it can be considered essential.

But based on my current requirements, it doesn't make sense for me to own a 99XX, another smartphone, a tablet, and a DSLR when a single device can do what they all do fairly well. Not as well, maybe, but well enough for my needs.

There's indeed something to be said about using the right tool for the right job. But why carry a bulky, heavy toolbox when a Leatherman would meet most of your needs most of the time? (I fully expect Steve to put on his engineering hat and make a compelling case for lugging that toolbox around.)
    01-19-18 01:11 PM

Hey Steve, could you use a spare, slightly used VZW 9930 in good shape? I'll ship it to you.
    Hey Steve snap it up. If history continues to repeat itself, somebody else should get in the line for the next 99xx from Newfangled :ROTFL:

Are these security threats really a tangible/probable issue with the 9900? I'm not convinced that, if used wisely, the risks are high -- but as they say, 'ignorance is bliss'
    01-19-18 04:55 PM

At Rogers today, this was the ONLY B.B. they had on display. My tiny little hometown had the full lineup practically.
    01-19-18 06:04 PM
    Good suggestion! I've thought about that. But I'm probably going to eventually rule out a basic phone because I would have to supplement with a tablet or other smartphone, which conflicts with my desire to declutter. Of course, essentialism isn't about living with nothing, it's about being intentional with what you allow into your life. If it adds value, then it can be considered essential.

But based on my current requirements, it doesn't make sense for me to own a 99XX, another smartphone, a tablet, and a DSLR when a single device can do what they all do fairly well. Not as well, maybe, but well enough for my needs.

There's indeed something to be said about using the right tool for the right job. But why carry a bulky, heavy toolbox when a Leatherman would meet most of your needs most of the time? (I fully expect Steve to put on his engineering hat and make a compelling case for lugging that toolbox around.)
    Haha... No case to be made. It's all about individual needs. For my needs, 99 represents the compact "Leatherman" that meets most of MY needs most of the time. My gargantuan k1 represents the "bulky, heavy toolbox" that I really only use a few times per day. Just like my real tool box, K1 spends more time locked in my truck than in my hand. Precisely BECAUSE my compact "Leatherman 99" can do most of what I need... Voice & Typing email, sms, spreadsheet... Etc. Despite the "other things" my K1 does, I've zero doubt that I'd get less accomplished per day without 99. For MY use case. Only you know YOUR use case.

I once cut the handle from my toothbrush to conserve backpacking weight, in an early life... Lol. I get and appreciate essentialism. If I were to decide I only wanted a single vehicle in my life, work requirements demand I'd keep my gargantuan F350 crew cab dually and sell my Porsche and Harley. BUT, that F350 is SOoo cumbersome to commute and park at the office, that the effort to simplify vehicle ownership would actually complicate daily commuting. Lol.

For me, the Leatherman can never fully replace a well equipped tool box. It only reduces the need to handle that toolbox so often. BUT, there are tasks that the Leatherman is simply a poor choice for. All depends on what YOU do most. Diversity is a wondrous thing!
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    01-19-18 06:55 PM
    After a few days of experimentation, it pains me to say that I won't be using a 9930 as my daily driver again.

As brilliant as it is in so many ways that matter, too many of my requirements are beyond its abilities.

And as new security threats come to light like KRACK, Spectre, and Meltdown - threats to which BBOS and BB10 devices will forever remain vulnerable - if I'm going to use a smartphone at all, I feel it should be one that still receives regular OS updates and patches. That means a Q10 is no longer in the cards, either.

The 99XX still represents the best UX I've ever had on a smartphone. For me, its typing experience is second to none. The "palmable" form factor is so versatile. It just doesn't have enough of what I need/want in a smartphone to sway me back.

If TCL ever releases a Bold-like phone running a forked version of Android with all the tracking crap removed, I will beg them to take my money in exchange for one.

Until then, my options are to stay with an iPhone or maybe try Windows 10 Mobile again before Microsoft kills support in 2019.

Going back to a basic phone is still a possibility, too.

I thought about keeping the 9930 as a "souvenir" - it would make a good desk clock. But that would be contrary to my newly embraced push for an essentialist lifestyle. I'm trying to be more intentional about the material possessions I bring into my life.

Well, I do appreciate the offer but I enjoy pretty free access to nearly a hundred of the things at work. Thanks again, tho.

We've begged & pleaded for a modern 99 form factor for SOoo long! A real trackpad toolbelt could tame that gargantuan K1 tolerably, tho. Imo.
    01-19-18 07:18 PM
    At Rogers today, this was the ONLY B.B. they had on display. My tiny little hometown had the full lineup practically.
    That's more like what I see around here. Your little hometown, on the other hand, is BlackBerry heaven!
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    01-19-18 10:39 PM
    That's more like what I see around here. Your little hometown, on the other hand, is BlackBerry heaven!
    Haha, but are they truly “Blackberries” if they are Chinese Androids, THAT is the question
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    01-19-18 10:43 PM
    Haha, but are they truly “Blackberries” if they are Chinese Androids, THAT is the question
    Hmm. Beggars can't be choosers. I suppose I might ultimately try out a China-Berry at some point.

But I really hope that the new Palm device TCL promised is a Treo-esque keyboarded thing that you can hack. I don't like how BlackBerry locks everything down. If I'm going to run Android, I want to be able to customize and modify to my heart's content.
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    01-19-18 10:58 PM
    Nothing faster for receiving emails than my vzw 99. Typically several minutes before Classic or K1 receive the same message. In fact, I participated in a "working dinner" with a client's crew, last night. 7, in all, at the table. Most were dual carrying iPhone/droid. One participant broadcast an email to all. EVERYone was amazed to hear my 99's almost immediate email notification "ding"! I held it up to show everyone and another disbelieving participant sent another email just to see it go thru so fast.. Which 99 dinged in immediate response before ANY other phone at the table received that first message! My 99's email reception frequently seems faster than SMS!! Now this client's personnel know why my email response has always seemed "real time". A concept not lost when they compare my company's performance with competing firms!

My bank account is really, REALLY, going to miss "Agent 99"... !!! Lol.
    01-20-18 03:09 AM
8,754 ... 305306307308309 ...