Calls ya but not sure about texts
    01-11-18 05:11 PM
    Would a BIS-less Blackberry Bold or Curve work just fine for calls and texts? I'm thinking of giving my mother-in-law an old Blackberry, but she won't have BIS. She just uses calls/texts, not even email or browsing. I actually gave her my beloved Amazon Fire Phone, but she was hopeless with the thing. She couldn't even figure out how to recharge it! WHAT?? So...a basic feature phone it is, and I think a Blackberry should do the trick....and I get my Fire Phone back.
    Yes, call and text work fine without Bis

Posted via CB10
    01-11-18 06:13 PM
    Typing this on a deactivated 9900 acting as "bridged" bluetooth mouse & kb on K1. Still quite clunky but "smart guys" are still sorting things out... Wonderful possibilities! 99 can live on as bluetooth mouse & keyboard! It seems, at least. Maybe?
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    01-11-18 07:34 PM
    Would a BIS-less Blackberry Bold or Curve work just fine for calls and texts? I'm thinking of giving my mother-in-law an old Blackberry, but she won't have BIS. She just uses calls/texts, not even email or browsing. I actually gave her my beloved Amazon Fire Phone, but she was hopeless with the thing. She couldn't even figure out how to recharge it! WHAT?? So...a basic feature phone it is, and I think a Blackberry should do the trick....and I get my Fire Phone back.
    Calls and SMS texts will work. MMS (Multimedia) texts won't work. So don't send her picture messages, and let her know that she can't send pics (well, unless your cellular service pushes service books to the phone without BIS ... some do).

As for her not liking the phone, I got my Dad a Lumia 520 a few years ago, and he hated it. Then Visions had a sale on flip phones. $9 each. So I got him one, unlocked it, and he's still using it. There's no point in making people use something they don't want to use, but I suppose we all understand that better than anyone.
    01-11-18 08:53 PM
    Typing this on a deactivated 9900 acting as "bridged" bluetooth mouse & kb on K1. Still quite clunky but "smart guys" are still sorting things out... Wonderful possibilities! 99 can live on as bluetooth mouse & keyboard! It seems, at least. Maybe?
    I have previously paired my 9900 with an Android touchscreen phone. It worked reasonably well but was always a little clunky and often just stopped working. It was never as reliable as the 9900 to PlayBook bridge.
    I've also paired my 9900 with my MacBook Air and used it in presentation mode to advance slides etc. That was an advertised (but perhaps less well known) capability of BB Bridge in its early days.
    If your guys find a trick to make the 9900-Android Bridge pairing more reliable please let us know.
    01-12-18 02:02 AM
    I have previously paired my 9900 with an Android touchscreen phone. It worked reasonably well but was always a little clunky and often just stopped working. It was never as reliable as the 9900 to PlayBook bridge.
    I've also paired my 9900 with my MacBook Air and used it in presentation mode to advance slides etc. That was an advertised (but perhaps less well known) capability of BB Bridge in its early days.
    If your guys find a trick to make the 9900-Android Bridge pairing more reliable please let us know.
    Yep, will do. These guys are our resident "Bluetooth Masters" and love toying with stuff... Time permitting. They also never tire of warning about security weaknesses in various BT versions that they routinely exploit... To GOOD use, in their case... Somewhat scary to see what can be done over BT, tho. I ALWAYS shut my BT off when sharing "radio space" with countless strangers in motels, for example. Lol.

Still love & use 99's presentation capability thru PB. Worked ok on older Win machines. Win7 up too clunky, if at all. Classic thru Miracast does nicely enuff. Haven't experimented with Classic over bluetooth, tho. Suspect K1 should make "ok" presenter but haven't even tried it... Trackpad is just TOO nice!!

K1 NEEDs a real trackpad toolbelt! !!! Imo.
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    01-12-18 07:16 AM
    Suspect K1 should make "ok" presenter but haven't even tried it... Trackpad is just TOO nice!!

K1 NEEDs a real trackpad toolbelt! !!! Imo.
    Presumably, you're aware of K1 double tap on keyboard to enable cursor mode? It is a poor-mans substitute for the trackpad but does provide a nice, reasonably accurate interface for moving though and selecting text, which is IMHO better than the more haphazard, touch screen only options.
    01-12-18 07:38 AM
    Presumably, you're aware of K1 double tap on keyboard to enable cursor mode? It is a poor-mans substitute for the trackpad but does provide a nice, reasonably accurate interface for moving though and selecting text, which is IMHO better than the more haphazard, touch screen only options.
    Yep. Much better than glass only solutions but SOooo distractingly clunky! Compared with always ready Trackpad & nearby toolbelt keys. Imo. Ug. Such a shame they seem so compelled to take such a long way around the superbly proven superiority of real Trackpad AND pkb Toolbelt. Imo.
    01-12-18 08:10 AM
    Calls and SMS texts will work. MMS (Multimedia) texts won't work. So don't send her picture messages, and let her know that she can't send pics (well, unless your cellular service pushes service books to the phone without BIS ... some do).

As for her not liking the phone, I got my Dad a Lumia 520 a few years ago, and he hated it. Then Visions had a sale on flip phones. $9 each. So I got him one, unlocked it, and he's still using it. There's no point in making people use something they don't want to use, but I suppose we all understand that better than anyone.
    If like my father, I'd predict the single biggest complaint would be touch interface. He really loves his non-touch 9650, tho. Mom and some of their elderly "shakey fingered friends" really loves the touch-disabled 99's I've fixed them up with. Dad mostly loved his touch-disabled 99 but kept forgetting to manually enable the "hacked up lock app" after battery swap. No such distractions with 9650.
    01-12-18 08:44 AM
    I had fun today, not

And I’m pretty sure that breaking glass sound is what it would sound like if you drop a glass slab in the winter
    01-13-18 03:58 PM
    I had fun today, not

And I’m pretty sure that breaking glass sound is what it would sound like if you drop a glass slab in the winter
    That sounds seriously cold. I haven't experienced that kind of cold since I moved South. I miss the sunshine though. I used to get a lot of cold weather AND a lot of sun in the Winter. Now it hovers between 0 and -10 C for most of the Winter but it's dreary and gray.
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    01-13-18 09:32 PM
    That sounds seriously cold. I haven't experienced that kind of cold since I moved South. I miss the sunshine though. I used to get a lot of cold weather AND a lot of sun in the Winter. Now it hovers between 0 and -10 C for most of the Winter but it's dreary and gray.
    Lol that’s like summer! But yeah we’re going to be around zero in about five days
    01-13-18 09:35 PM
    Single digit Fahrenheit cold here on a brief project in MO. -3F forecast for Monday night, I'm told. Wind was brutal friday... especially 40' up in a bucket! Lol definitely wore gloves! Definately used 99 and Classic with gloves. Slows type rate a lot but do-able.
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    01-14-18 12:22 AM
    Single digit Fahrenheit cold here on a brief project in MO. -3F forecast for Monday night, I'm told. Wind was brutal friday... especially 40' up in a bucket! Lol definitely wore gloves! Definately used 99 and Classic with gloves. Slows type rate a lot but do-able.
    Did the cold kill the battery quicker?
    01-14-18 12:36 AM
    Did the cold kill the battery quicker?
    I'd say so. Sort of Apples to Oranges since VZW is basically about two bars of 1x out here. Even up in the air 40'. I'm told that ATT works better in this spot but I haven't been carrying my PP or 9900 much since ATT is worthless at the distant jobsite I've spent most of the year. A good 1k mile drive from here. Lol.

Of course my 9930 enjoys that 5000mah "Horse" of an extended batt during aerial excursions. Along with 2 fully charged 3600 mugens, which weren't needed but jic. The added ledge on the back nicely assists grasp with gloved hands.

Classic burned down first and then burned up a 6000mah charge bank, that's almost the size of a 99, in pretty short order. It really doesn't fair well in 1x data areas, it seems. I missed Classic's camera, mostly, but those photos had to wait for send till I got back to my truck's weBoost active amplifier. Cold dead Classic did seem to charge somewhat faster than usual in its equally cold Qi charge cradle. Temperature? Or failing battery?? Idk. This is the "newer" Classic ive been using for roughly 10 months since original Classic's batt died. No reason to expect the battery in this one to be any newer than the other, I suppose.?? Still waiting to get a round "tuit" to install the "new" batt I got for the old Classic... Round "tuits" were comically fabbed up by a coworker at NASA, back in another life... a small circular round wooden disk key fob engraved with "TUIT" on one side and an explanation on the other side proclaiming: "Congratulations! Now you can claim you've finally gotten a round tuit!" (meaning "around to it" ...) haha...

With no ability to power up old Classic for securely wiping, I just couldn't bring myself to turn it over to strangers for battery R&R. Silly, I know, but... I still change my own oil, etc... and ask for directions only as absolute final option! Wife calls it a "man thing"... ??? I defer to her expertise in such matters. Lol.

My old 7.3 Ford needs a set of glow plugs (also waiting for a round tuit... lol) and so I kept a tiny 1000W generator running while using the bucket truck. That tiny genny powered block heater and an underhood battery charger... which might have held voltage a little hotter supplying the Classic's Qi cradle??? Idk.???

Once again, when the going got tough, 99 was THE handset that kept going... and going, and going, ... lol.
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    01-14-18 08:35 AM
    Hey Shus, this might be the only time we can get a good deal

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...wars-1.4453573
    01-14-18 08:14 PM
    I saw that in December. The phone shops were packed and the call centers couldn't keep up. I think it might be over now though. :|
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    01-15-18 12:48 AM
    I saw that in December. The phone shops were packed and the call centers couldn't keep up. I think it might be over now though. :|
    I sure never heard about it until tonite, but then I am still locked in for another year anyway. I get 12 gigs a month as a bonus from the standard 5 because they offered 7 gigs and then found out they couldn’t do it for some reason. So as a “make up” to me they were pretty generous and now my total is 12 gigs .

I think Rogers has plans with up to 15 or 20 gigs a month now.
    01-15-18 01:37 AM
    My 9930 was waiting for me at home after me being out of town for a week. It’s in remarkable shape for $25. Looks like it was barely used, if at all. Updating it to the latest OS now. Not sure if I’m going to use it as my daily, but I’ll enjoy playing with it for a bit, anyway.
    9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_0882.jpg
    01-15-18 04:36 PM
    My 9930 was waiting for me at home after me being out of town for a week. It’s in remarkable shape for $25. Looks like it was barely used, if at all. Updating it to the latest OS now. Not sure if I’m going to use it as my daily, but I’ll enjoy playing with it for a bit, anyway.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0882.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	244.2 KB 
ID:	433355
    Never seen a screen showing that before
    01-15-18 06:11 PM
    That's the screen that comes up when you're syncing with BlackBerry Desktop.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    01-15-18 07:44 PM
    That's the screen that comes up when you're syncing with BlackBerry Desktop.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Welcome back!
    01-16-18 12:37 AM
    And you started this thread!

Posted via CB10
    01-16-18 08:20 AM
    And you started this thread!

Posted via CB10
    In 2010 I got rid of my Microsoft PC because I had nothing but trouble with it. Later that year I got the iPad1, but in August 2011 is when I got my first BlackBerry the 9780 so I’ve never connected a blackberry to a Microsoft computer. I’ve tried several times to connect my BlackBerry with the iPad but that was when Apple never played nice with other manufacturers and it would never connect. I’ve never updated my 9900 I’m running, the older software has been great. However I cannot say that I had a nice time with my 9790, which I loved very much, Because it never liked the latest version of 7.1, and I had it done many times at the Electronics place where I bought it. Lots of jamming lots of problems so that’s why when I got this 9900 and it worked perfectly I just left it.

I had the 9790 for four months it just constantly jammed and I should’ve actually had them put an older version of OS7 on it and it probably would’ve been fine.
    littlebuff likes this.
    01-16-18 12:23 PM
    Welcome back!
    Thanks! I'm not using it as my daily driver (yet), but it does look nice in its charging pod next to my bed.

Posted from my BlackBerry Bold 9930
    01-16-18 07:41 PM
8,754 ... 304305306307308 ...