Made a 9900-friendly Google News site. Might add more countries if there's much interest.

http://darkstar.x10host.com/news/
    Looks good. Any chance that you could add other locations? I'd like to have the UK listed.
    Last edited by mushroom_daddy; 01-08-18 at 07:39 AM.
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    01-08-18 12:23 AM
    Did anyone else get logged out on their tapatalk app today?
    Tapatalk working fine on my 9900 this morning, no need to re-login.
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    01-08-18 12:26 AM
    Looks good. Any chance that you could add other locations? I'd like to have the UK listed.
    You bet. I need to create a template directory so I can just find and replace. If I knew enough javascript, I could save myself all that work, but c'est la vie.

Edit: It's done. Seems to work fine. I have to add some .css to get rid of the full coverage links, because they're never going to work with the mobilizer enabled.

Edit: I managed to figure out the JavaScript to disable the mobilizer for the full coverage links. So now those links open normally.
    Last edited by Shuswap; 01-09-18 at 01:04 AM.
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    01-08-18 08:43 AM
    For Steve and any other engineers.
    Attached Thumbnails 9900:Resurgence of popularity!-a754835d-7236-474b-9a42-593ecc4e833a.jpeg  
    idssteve and littlebuff like this.
    01-08-18 09:17 AM
    The boss is sitting next to engineer taking a nap after counting all the savings the engineer created. LOL

Awesome even to us non-engineers.
    01-08-18 09:22 AM
    The boss is sitting next to engineer taking a nap after counting all the savings the engineer created. LOL

Awesome even to us non-engineers.
    haha... the workers are now in the garage keeping trucks running... between coffee breaks... lol. They've traded ropes and whips for handtools (computers, these day lol) and paychecks... still plenty of uses for ropes... lol
    01-08-18 11:18 AM
    Ha... that's a true "old school" engineer actually sitting behind the steering wheel rather than sitting behind a desk. Lol. Could be said that Mike L's "old school" hands on engineering philosophy culminated with our 9900s! I see scant evidence that design work after 9900 included much actual hands on USE of the product they sell... imo.

My old school ME dept head never failed to point out that REAL engineers get dirty! ...and shower AfTER work... before also.... Lol.
    anon(10321802) likes this.
    01-08-18 11:31 AM
    You bet. I need to create a template directory so I can just find and replace. If I knew enough javascript, I could save myself all that work, but c'est la vie.

Edit: It's done. Seems to work fine. I have to add some .css to get rid of the full coverage links, because they're never going to work with the mobilizer enabled.

Edit: I managed to figure out the JavaScript to disable the mobilizer for the full coverage links. So now those links open normally.
    Works well, many thanks!
    01-09-18 07:48 AM
    Oh, I disagree..! When I was a kid, I read every one of Ian Fleming's "007" books. Daniel Craig is the Bond most true to Fleming's Bond -- in my opinion. Sean Connery was next. Roger Moore was a goofball as "Bond."
    Well, I admit having never read the books and the Bond I've got was from him and Sean Connery, who looked more relax than Daniel Craig.

I could not log in CB on my Bold since yesterday. Only the big logo comes up and hangs there for a few minutes then the app closes itself. Wondering if there's been some changes from CB which causes this.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-18 07:49 AM
    FYI - the Ian Fleming Bond novels are all public domain now, so if you guys want to read them, grab a free epub novel online. I've read them all. Sean Connery is still the penultimate Bond for me.

On a different note, how easy is it to disassemble and clean the trackballs on the old Blackberries? And how responsive were they in comparison to our beloved trackpads?
    Thanks mate. Will get a copy and see if I could have time to read. Got a big holiday coming up.

Re the track ball, it is simpler on the 81xx, 82xx, 832x and 88xx series as it doesn't require the phone to be opened up before taking the track ball out. There is a ring around the track ball and you'll need something thin, like small spatula to slide into the gap between the ring and the tool belt to lift it up. There are 3 hooks coming down from the ring with the hooks going outward, one on either side and the last one is on top side if I remember it correctly. You can start with any of the 3 hooks and it's always the last hook that often cause trouble and demands a bit more patience. Before removing the ring, use a non-permanent marker to make a mark on the ring and tool belt so you would not have to look for which way it should go in when reassemble. The track ball assembly can be put back in any orientation, but the structure on the bottom of the track ball assembly can always tell which way it is positioned.
    Before putting the ring back in, check the hooks to make sure they are straight. If not, bend it straight back to avoid some rattling later on. The ring is plastic so bend them gently, not too much force.

On the Bold 9000 and Javelin 8900, it is more complicated and require the phone to be opened up. You'd better look for a how to take apart guide for them.

The cleaning is not so much on the ball itself but the rollers pressing on the ball. Just like in those rolling - ball computer mouse, dirt is collected on these rollers which leads to choking. These things are small, so you'll need a pair of forceps, and a pair of gently and steady hands. It's best to work them in a tray or on a surface that could stop any of the bit rolling to far. You don't want to look for them on the carpet, or hear them rolling to a far corner on tile floor.

The track ball, and track wheel before that, can help moving the cursor letter by letter, while the trackpad requires some practice to do that. But pressing to enter is much better with the trackpad. The track ball can be a bit painful if having to press too much, just because of its shape. The track wheel, when pressing, can roll a bit just before it goes in all the ways, which could move the cursor out of place, especially when it is shivering cold.

Edit to add: look for a youtube guide anyway because there are some hooks which need to be unhooked in order to take the rollers out. Or try ifixit.com.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by littlebuff; 01-09-18 at 08:49 AM.
    idssteve and mushroom_daddy like this.
    01-09-18 08:34 AM
    Made a little video for you guys today and YES I DROPPED THE BLACKBERRY MOTION haha

01-09-18 05:07 PM
    Made a little video for you guys today and YES I DROPPED THE BLACKBERRY MOTION haha
    I was waiting for this horrible drop to happen, but it actually wasn't that bad!

It's surprising that you still have all those models available. That must be SaskTel? Out here in BC, you're lucky to find the latest handset in a store, but that would be it. One model. Maybe.
    01-09-18 07:51 PM
    I was waiting for this horrible drop to happen, but it actually wasn't that bad!

It's surprising that you still have all those models available. That must be SaskTel? Out here in BC, you're lucky to find the latest handset in a store, but that would be it. One model. Maybe.
    Well you could hear the woman who works there ask if I needed help or whatever lol and I think she saw me drop it.

Oh and take some comfort that I also “dropped” the iPhone 10. Those pesky leashes they have them attached to are all spring loaded AND SLABS ARE SLIPPERY without a case
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    01-09-18 07:53 PM
    'Shroom (and anyone else who wants to join the "Still Bold" group), send me a PIN message with your PIN. I'll send you a BBM invite and get you in the group.
    I'm back in the BBM 'Still Bold' group, thanks to David Tyler.
    This provides an alternative forum to discuss Bold related (and other) issues, and could be useful where you don't want comments in the public domain, or where they might get trolled, or knocked back by an enthusiastic moderator
    Last edited by mushroom_daddy; 01-10-18 at 09:11 AM.
    rayporsche and anon(10321802) like this.
    01-10-18 06:10 AM
    I'm back in the BBM 'Still Bold" group, thanks to David Tyler.
    This provides an alternative forum to discuss Bold related (and other) issues, and could be useful where you don't want comments in the public domain, or where they might get trolled or knocked back by an enthusiastic moderator
    So you're saying you're allowed to go off-topic.
    littlebuff and anon(10321802) like this.
    01-10-18 06:41 AM
    So you're saying you're allowed to go off-topic.
    You've got it!
    anon(10321802) likes this.
    01-10-18 07:13 AM
    OK I’m trying to figure out if this photo could be of a 9900? The top of it actually looks like an iPhone X but the way is holding it looks like a physical keyboard. Thoughts?9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_3742.jpg
    01-10-18 06:18 PM
    OK I’m trying to figure out if this photo could be of a 9900? The top of it actually looks like an iPhone X but the way is holding it looks like a physical keyboard. Thoughts?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3742.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	191.9 KB 
ID:	433174
    Looks like it might be an 8800.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    01-10-18 09:27 PM
    Looks like it might be an 8800.

I don’t even know what an 8800 is, off to google I go
    01-10-18 09:28 PM
    I don’t even know what an 8800 is, off to google I go
    It's the one that looks like it has Air Force wings. An old trackball model.

01-10-18 09:38 PM
    It's the one that looks like it has Air Force wings. An old trackball model.

Yep I see it, there’s also like a white row where the trackball is, just can’t tell from the resolution of my photo if that’s the one. Could be.9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_3761.jpg

Edit: white row is the tool belt, I believe. Steve will be disciplining me and rightfully so haha.
    01-10-18 09:41 PM
    OK I’m trying to figure out if this photo could be of a 9900? The top of it actually looks like an iPhone X but the way is holding it looks like a physical keyboard. Thoughts?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3742.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	191.9 KB 
ID:	433174
    It's one of the 8300 series, first of the Curve line. Note the position of the led where the top part of the screen lens ends, which is distinctive for the 8300s. On the 8800s, the lens goes all the way up and curves backward to meet the back plate.
    The 8800 also has the chrome-like crown hugging the bottom of the speaker grill with 'Blackberry' below it. See also the top corner where the side bezel curves into the top, which sometimes causes problem removing it because of the hook there. The side bezel on the 8800 would look rounded at the top (and bottom) corner but is a straight piece. And 8800s do not come in titanium/liight color (except for silver on the world edition 8830 - but more like aluminum than silver to me) but 8300s do.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-18 08:58 AM
    There was this commercial for the Curve 8300 in which when a guy got up in the morning, his diary, notebook, address book, alarm clock, a deck of card, and so on, ran into a Curve on the table. The animation and music were great and the message was pretty obvious. I could not find it on youtube anymore, perhaps buried under tons of other videos selected by Google.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-18 09:05 AM
    There was this commercial for the Curve 8300 in which when a guy got up in the morning, his diary, notebook, address book, alarm clock, a deck of card, and so on, ran into a Curve on the table. The animation and music were great and the message was pretty obvious. I could not find it on youtube anymore, perhaps buried under tons of other videos selected by Google.

Posted via CB10
    I wish I would’ve got into blackberries prior to 2011, back in the heyday. From 2007 to 2010 I had a Motorola Razr Motorola, a Razr 2, and a Nokia C3. Prior to that, and for 10 full years 1997 to 2007 I had a Motorola 650 flip LOL.
    01-11-18 10:59 AM
    Would a BIS-less Blackberry Bold or Curve work just fine for calls and texts? I'm thinking of giving my mother-in-law an old Blackberry, but she won't have BIS. She just uses calls/texts, not even email or browsing. I actually gave her my beloved Amazon Fire Phone, but she was hopeless with the thing. She couldn't even figure out how to recharge it! WHAT?? So...a basic feature phone it is, and I think a Blackberry should do the trick....and I get my Fire Phone back.
    01-11-18 01:30 PM
8,754 ... 303304305306307 ...