Hey Steve now that you are kind of comparing those devices how do you feel about the 9900/9930 screen when compared to the Classic in terms of clarity and brightness ? lately I've been having a hard time liking the Classic's screen to the point that I feel that there may be something wrong with it. Every time I pick up the 9900 after using the Classic cannot help it but feel that the 9900 screen clarity is fantastic for such a small device wouldn't you agree ?

Perhaps it's all in their inherent design characteristics, Classic's 3.5" IPS LCD 16M Colors with the 720 x 720 pixels, 1:1 ratio ~294 poi density versus the Bold's 2.8" TFT 16M Colors with the 640 x 480 pixels, 4:3 ratio ~286 poi density. Oh well it would be fair to say that TFT (Thin Film Transistor) will probably be cleared than an LCD (liquid Crystal Display).
    YES! I MUCH prefer reading text. Pdf, etc on 99 than just about ANYthing. I'll frequently tire of eye strain reading tiny text in pdfs in my Classic or K1, for example, and just pull it up on 99 and find it FAR easier to read. Mostly due to 99's refined implementation of "I" & "o" zoom shortcuts. And trackpad's scroll... But 99's screen just seems sharper, despite it's tiny size. Possibly due to the display technology, but much to be attributed to 99's GUI refinement that optimizes available screenestate so nicely. Legacy BB had plenty of experience with "tiny screens" ya kno. Lol. I've resorted to using a magnifying glass to read some things on Classic that simple zoom takes care of on 99. Both Classic and K1 are better for photos, tho. 99's "p" for previous and "n" for next still navigates multiple photos best, tho. Imo.
    01-05-18 08:06 AM
    I was using a palm pixi over my vacation. I love light phones. That said, I'm back at work and decided to lug around my passport again. Geesh it's big, especially with the case on. I might have to switch back to my Bold or Curve though, especially if ATT wants to shut down BIS this year. I want to enjoy it as long as I can.
    Your Pixi and Curve are potentially more secure. The Pixi has an ARMv6 processor and the Curve has an ARMv5, so they're not susceptible to Meltdown and Spectre. Nothing before ARMv7 is affected. Sadly, our Bolds (and my Pre3 and Flipout) are ARMv7. Just another vulnerability to add to the growing list. In this case, since the attacker needs to get some software on your phone for many variants of the attacks, security through obscurity may actually work. It seems unlikely that anyone will be rushing to write BBOS or webOS attack software.

Still, I've long avoided doing any banking on my collection of outdated phones, and I'm starting to think that it may be time to remove my email account as well. I hardly ever email anyone from the phone, but I do like to monitor the incoming mail, and that can be done just as easily by forwarding it to SMS. In fact, most providers also let you send an email from SMS/MMS, and that would do in an emergency.

In any case, I've just switched from my Passport to my Pre3, and its so nice to use a phone you can just throw in a coat pocket and not notice it until you need it.
    anon(10321802) likes this.
    01-05-18 09:31 AM
    Hey Steve now that you are kind of comparing those devices how do you feel about the 9900/9930 screen when compared to the Classic in terms of clarity and brightness ? lately I've been having a hard time liking the Classic's screen to the point that I feel that there may be something wrong with it. Every time I pick up the 9900 after using the Classic cannot help it but feel that the 9900 screen clarity is fantastic for such a small device wouldn't you agree ?
    YES! I MUCH prefer reading text. Pdf, etc on 99 than just about ANYthing. ... I'll frequently tire of eye strain reading tiny text in pdfs in my Classic or K1, for example, and just pull it up on 99 and find it FAR easier to read. Mostly due to 99's refined implementation of "I" & "o" zoom shortcuts. And trackpad's scroll... But 99's screen just seems sharper, despite it's tiny size. Possibly due to the display technology, but much to be attributed to 99's GUI refinement that optimizes available screenestate so nicely.
    +1 on both of these posts. There is something about that LCD in the 9900 that is better than ANY other device I own. It is so clear and bright (too bright at night!), and the edges of the text and graphics are incredibly well defined.

The other real benefit comes from the font scaling used on OS7. If you compare the icon labels on BB10 with the labels that appear when you scroll over an icon on OS7, you'll see exactly what I mean.
    01-05-18 09:38 AM
    Now get off topic again. *Grumble, grumble.*
    01-05-18 09:40 AM
    Of all the 007s, I like him the most.
    He was way before Bold time (lame way to get back on topic).
    The last guy, Daniel Craig I believe, looks way too aggressive, as if he's ready to fight the world any time. Very un-Bond.

Posted via CB10
    I didn’t mind Pierce but they never let him play the brutal Assasin like he wanted to based on how the original books were written.

I always thought Clive Owen would have been a better tougher Bond, he has that look. He was asked if he wanted the role supposedly and he had too many other projects he was working on.

I liked Craig. But who would replace him now, he is getting pretty old for the role.

Hard to believe Roger Moore was in his mid-50’s for A View to A Kill.
    rayporsche and David Tyler like this.
    01-05-18 09:54 AM
    If meltdown or spectre are problems, I could always downgrade to my pixi plus and a winmob6.1 phone. I doubt they are affected, being so ancient tech'wise.

I have an old samsung jack. It does calls, has keyboard. Does messages. Can't seem to make it work on email though. And win mob6 has a poor layout designed to slow you down everywhere. 9900 is much better in every aspect.... except it may be vulnerable to spectre.

Signature: Still typing away on my Passport SE!
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    01-05-18 12:58 PM
    If meltdown or spectre are problems, I could always downgrade to my pixi plus and a winmob6.1 phone. I doubt they are affected, being so ancient tech'wise.

I have an old samsung jack. It does calls, has keyboard. Does messages. Can't seem to make it work on email though. And win mob6 has a poor layout designed to slow you down everywhere. 9900 is much better in every aspect.... except it may be vulnerable to spectre.

Signature: Still typing away on my Passport SE!
    Since malware has to be running locally on the device to take advantage of the Spectre and Meltdown exploits, you're probably safe on a BBOS device. BB10 is probably safe, too. Just be careful which Android apps you install.
    RaybanRJ and anon(8063781) like this.
    01-05-18 01:30 PM
    Everything you need to know about how cell towers work and data packets, etc.

rayporsche likes this.
    01-05-18 03:36 PM
    Since malware has to be running locally on the device to take advantage of the Spectre and Meltdown exploits, you're probably safe on a BBOS device. BB10 is probably safe, too. Just be careful which Android apps you install.

People with androids always say that, they say be smart, watch out for what apps you put on your device but honestly I don’t know how anyone can tell the difference look at this… They look the same to me.....

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_3548.jpg

I mean the average person is going to trust the GooglePlay store and install the app. Recently 1 million people were fooled by the fake WhatsApp.

If I had an Android I would be in BIG TROUBLE
    Last edited by RaybanRJ; 01-05-18 at 05:20 PM.
    01-05-18 03:39 PM
    I imagine the sheer weight and size of the thing fatigues your hand during a lengthy typing session.

The "palmable" 99 is so much more "handy" that way.
    Haha...

Bold 9900:
    9900:Resurgence of popularity!-bold_9900.jpg

Classic:
    9900:Resurgence of popularity!-classic.jpg

KeyOne:
    9900:Resurgence of popularity!-keyone.jpg
    Last edited by idssteve; 01-05-18 at 11:16 PM.
    rayporsche likes this.
    01-05-18 10:09 PM
    Do you mean BlackBerry World ? if so maybe this link could help not sure though.....
    BlackBerry OTA Downloads
    sorry to say, after clicking on bb world, it takes me to a new page where I can't find any ota link for bbw

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-06-18 04:57 AM
    sorry to say, after clicking on bb world, it takes me to a new page where I can't find any ota link for bbw

I thought BBW should come with the OS and pre-installed in the phone. Have you tried reloading with a fresh copy of the OS version.

If you have BDM and a OS (same version as in the phone) installed in your computer, run BDM and connect the phone. Once BDM recognizes the phone, the Apps should list all the available applications with check boxes indicating which are installed in the phone already. BBM should be on that list too.

If not, you can find a OS version known to have BBW, install it in your computer and look for files whose name start with net_rim_bb_appworld, copy and paste them all to the corresponding folder in your preferred OS in the computer. Then run BDM and reload the phone with that OS, or BDM would show BBW in the application list and just check the box and apply/run to load it.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by littlebuff; 01-06-18 at 10:27 AM.
    idssteve and anon(8063781) like this.
    01-06-18 07:19 AM
    thanks for ur help, I could able to find the ota link and installed

I thought BBW should come with the OS and pre-installed in the phone. Have you tried reloading with a fresh copy of the OS version.

If you have BDM and a OS (same version as in the phone) installed in your computer, run BDM and connect the phone. Once BDM recognizes the phone, the Apps should list all the available applications with check boxes indicating which are installed in the phone already. BBM should be on that list too.

If not, you can find a OS version known to have BBW, install it in your computer and look for files whose name start with net_rim_bb_appworld, copy and paste them all to the corresponding folder in your preferred OS in the computer. Then run BDM and reload the phone with that OS, or BDM would show BBW in the application list and just check the box and apply/run to load it.

Posted via CB10

01-07-18 03:43 AM
    The last guy, Daniel Craig I believe, looks way too aggressive, as if he's ready to fight the world any time. Very un-Bond.
    Oh, I disagree..! When I was a kid, I read every one of Ian Fleming's "007" books. Daniel Craig is the Bond most true to Fleming's Bond -- in my opinion. Sean Connery was next. Roger Moore was a goofball as "Bond."
    01-07-18 09:35 AM
    I didn’t mind Pierce but they never let him play the brutal Assasin like he wanted to based on how the original books were written.

I always thought Clive Owen would have been a better tougher Bond, he has that look. He was asked if he wanted the role supposedly and he had too many other projects he was working on.

I liked Craig. But who would replace him now, he is getting pretty old for the role.

Hard to believe Roger Moore was in his mid-50’s for A View to A Kill.
    Agree completely.
    01-07-18 09:37 AM
    Agree completely.
    And I think Timothy Dalton who did those two bonds in the 80s was sort of like the wimpy politically correct bond he would never be like Connery and tap a girl on the butt or things like that, because by then those things were frowned upon
    01-07-18 10:33 AM
    FYI - the Ian Fleming Bond novels are all public domain now, so if you guys want to read them, grab a free epub novel online. I've read them all. Sean Connery is still the penultimate Bond for me.

On a different note, how easy is it to disassemble and clean the trackballs on the old Blackberries? And how responsive were they in comparison to our beloved trackpads?
    RaybanRJ and rayporsche like this.
    01-07-18 01:12 PM
    Made a 9900-friendly Google News site. Might add more countries if there's much interest.

http://darkstar.x10host.com/news/
    01-07-18 07:17 PM
    Made a 9900-friendly Google News site. Might add more countries if there's much interest.

Can you explain? Ok where are we looking? Under Canada, then Technology? Not sure I get this.
    01-07-18 07:22 PM
    Can you explain? Ok where are we looking? Under Canada, then Technology? Not sure I get this.
    Well you choose a country, then a news section. Then you should get the stories. If you try the regular google news, you'll get half a screen of nav bars and a very slow browser.
    Last edited by Shuswap; 01-07-18 at 08:00 PM.
    01-07-18 07:31 PM

Hey great job , Shuswap !
    It works really well on the 9900 !

Now , can you make it so we can choose which stories we do not want to see ?

( It is barely 8 days into the new year and am already fed up with some of the news stories ... )
    01-07-18 10:55 PM
    Well you choose a country, then a news section. Then you should get the stories. If you try the regular google news, you'll get half a screen of nav bars and a very slow browser.
    Yep I saw the stories but I thought there was something about a 9900s? I don’t know how Google stories works I’ve never even seen that before.

Edit: I get it now, it’s so it can be used with older devices haha, I take things too literally sometimes yo.
    01-07-18 10:58 PM
    Now , can you make it so we can choose which stories we do not want to see ?
    I only wish
    01-07-18 11:07 PM
    Yep I saw the stories but I thought there was something about a 9900s? I don’t know how Google stories works I’ve never even seen that before.

Edit: I get it now, it’s so it can be used with older devices haha, I take things too literally sometimes yo.
    Yep. Haha. You're not going to find a news site that's actually friendly to the 9900. Those days are long past.
    01-07-18 11:08 PM
    Did anyone else get logged out on their tapatalk app today?
    01-07-18 11:52 PM
8,754 ... 302303304305306 ...