01-03-18 11:42 PM
    Mine too
    Attachment 432914

I kind of like that old OS5 icon look so I installed the 'Classic 5 Theme' from BBworld hence the old look....
    I also prefer OS5 in our 9650s. OS6 suffered miserable memory management issues. My elderly father is far too shakey for touch interface and loves his 9650 on OS5. Its non-webkit browser even works reasonably well! Lol. We use an OS6 two row theme, tho.

My elderly Mother and quite a few of their friends in their community really love the touch disabled 9900s I've set them up with. 99 really doesn't need touch interface that too frequently is more liability than asset. The "hacked" lock app my "smart guys" cobbled demands manual starting after a battery swap. Something Dad too frequently forgot and wound up touching his 99 with some stray, shakey, finger with all manner of unintended results. Lol. Dad's much happier with his touchless OS5 9650. Lol.

It should be noted that BB's optical trackpad technology intro'd several years NEWER than iPhone's touch and at least a year newer than slab Storm. Properly implemented optical trackpad represents a giant leap in efficient GUI operation! Imo. Such a shame BB so readily abandoned that tech marvel with Q. Imo. Glass phreaks who've never really tried it have no clue what the world is missing! Imo.

Classic's trackpad implementation never really challenged our 9900's polished refinement. Imo. Still two years remaining to experience 9900's refined trackpad! Lol.
    rayporsche and RaybanRJ like this.
    01-04-18 02:41 AM
    Ok so have you heard about this? It’s bad. I wonder if Blackberry Legacy is susceptible.....

My iPhone is because it uses an ARM Processor.

https://betanews.com/2018/01/03/melt...re-apocalypse/
    AFAIK, pretty sure BB's employ ARM...??

Might be digging out x86 before it's all over. Lol
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    01-04-18 03:07 AM
    I just ordered the following on eBay:

• Used Bold 9930 in "very good" condition for $24.99 and free shipping
    • New BlackBerry VM-605 (visor mount speakerphone) for $19.99 and free shipping

I'm waiting before I buy a swivel holster or charging pods to make sure I am OK with using the 9930.
    It'll be great have you back in the Bold club, but I suspect you'll rapidly get frustrated by loss of function/options if you limit yourself to the 9930. The 9900 is my primary, and often sole carry but I also run a couple of android phones at home, most recently the KEYone. They don't get my SIM card, which stays in the 9900 for distraction free communication/productivity, but they do allow me to access other apps and functions that are simply never going to be accessible on the 9900; providing a fulfilling 'play time' and helping to stop drift from the Bold.
    Knowing your views on Android you might achieve the same using an iPhone.

I can't recommend the PlayBook in 2018. My 64Gb model, which I've had for years, has become increasingly laggy, it used to be my beside Kindle reader but has become frustratingly slow. Unless you are big on using the PlayBook for HDMI presentations* you should be able to achieve more using an alternative smartphone (Android or iOS).

*personally, I prefer to use my MacBook Air for presentations.
    rayporsche and RaybanRJ like this.
    01-04-18 03:40 AM
    It'll be great have you back in the Bold club, but I suspect you'll rapidly get frustrated by loss of function/options if you limit yourself to the 9930. The 9900 is my primary, and often sole carry but I also run a couple of android phones at home, most recently the KEYone. They don't get my SIM card, which stays in the 9900 for distraction free communication/productivity, but they do allow me to access other apps and functions that are simply never going to be accessible on the 9900; providing a fulfilling 'play time' and helping to stop drift from the Bold.

I can't recommend the PlayBook in 2018. My 64Gb model, which I've had for years, has become increasingly laggy, it used to be my beside Kindle reader but has become frustratingly slow. Unless you are big on using the PlayBook for HDMI presentations* you should be able to achieve more using an alternative smartphone (Android or iOS).

Hmm... Macbook Air looks interesting... My fave for presentations has become Classic thru Miracast or thru slimport/hdmi. Trackpad is SOooo nice for pointer control. 9900's trackpad is also nice for that but must be bridged and remoted to Playbook to utilize PB's hdmi. Backup to Classic for presentations is pretty much the only thing I use playbook for anymore. A backup that bailed me out twice last year. Lol.

Classic and 9900 are great single handed pointing & typing devices while roaming around the room. I do a lot of roaming. Lol. Frequently operate 99 or Classic from pocket.

Not as nice as Macbook Air but pretty much always "in hand".

Also agree, I frequently solo carry 99, when not expecting to want other capabilities... But far more frequently dual carry newer stuff... I'd personally get by fine with 99 only but really appreciate having Classic, and even K1, along for fill in. IPhone should make a good fill in also... ??
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    01-04-18 04:16 AM
    I remind any and all of the Still Bold chat on BBM -- which I'm thinking of re-naming "Meaningfully Bold."
    I've been trying to get back in that group for a while, can you see any open requests to rejoin?
    01-04-18 05:15 AM
    Yep. Just wondering if TMo or ?? still BIS?
    TMobile stopped the BIS support in USA quite a long time ago, it was sometime during 2016 if I remember correctly, at least in my neck of the woods, cannot tell about other locations. Back then they were pretty open in advance about their plans and the switching of their operating bands / frequencies spectrum and such which gave us enough time to unlock or get rid of our TMobile devices and switch to AT&T completely. If the time comes or when the time comes that AT&T goes that route we'll switch to Verizon if they still offer BIS. The real predicament is the uncertainty regarding the BBid in terms of if it is going to be needed to operate the devices, any devices from BBOS, BB10OS and even the apps that require signing in other Android or iPhones as well.
    Last edited by rayporsche; 01-05-18 at 10:45 AM.
    01-04-18 06:57 AM
    I've been trying to get back in that group for a while, can you see any open requests to rejoin?
    'Shroom (and anyone else who wants to join the "Still Bold" group), send me a PIN message with your PIN. I'll send you a BBM invite and get you in the group.
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    01-04-18 07:59 AM

I do intend to supplement with other devices, of course.

I'll continue to use an iPhone 5S without a SIM. And there are a lot of things I can do on a laptop.

I've also been considering a tablet - either an iPad or a Windows 10 tablet. Although they're not as convenient to lug around...but that might be a good thing!
    01-04-18 09:33 AM
    Im not able to find ota for app world, can anyone help me to get the ota link to download app world.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-04-18 10:22 AM
    Im not able to find ota for app world, can anyone help me to get the ota link to download app world.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Do you mean BlackBerry World ? if so maybe this link could help not sure though.....
    BlackBerry OTA Downloads
    01-04-18 11:53 AM
    I do intend to supplement with other devices, of course.

I'll continue to use an iPhone 5S without a SIM. And there are a lot of things I can do on a laptop.

I've also been considering a tablet - either an iPad or a Windows 10 tablet. Although they're not as convenient to lug around...but that might be a good thing!
    A D60 almost qualifies as a tablet... lol.

Being a slave of routine, I've taken to using Classic in the morning to help catch up on overnight backlog. By noon, it's embedded battery is too nearly spent out here in this low signal BFNowhere. Trading for another embedded battery K1 about noon time is how I've wound up "swapping" batteries in these embedded battery "toys"... just swap the entire handset! Lol.

Naturally, 99's "Fat boy" keeps her going throughout the full day. My routine has been to swap "Fat boy" before heading into motel for the night and again when entering truck in the AM. More often than needed but... total of 6 minutes downtime per day, including reboot, represents availability my embedded batt "toy" can't hold a candle too. Clients, family, coworkers, etc count on my 99's unmatched availability.

Spare battery, Classic and K1 all stay charged in F350. I don't carry a wall charger to forget in a motel. Lol. A welded Li-ion bank & charge circuit gets charged from F350 trailer charging circuit and keeps handsets, spare batteries and an Elecraft KX2 charged & powered without draining truck Batts. A 2 minute timer gives the diesel's glow plugs time to complete their cycle before burdening alternator with topping off that li-ion bank. Not really needed since 230 amp Leese-Neville seems to hold its own without trouble. But, the oem alternator needed the time. Lol.

Yes, I'm rambling partly to practice typing on this K1 monster... lol. Wouldn't want to be on topic in an of topic forum... lol.
    rayporsche and anon(10321802) like this.
    01-04-18 12:09 PM
    Ha! Several typos in previous post... K1 ain't no 99!!! Lol.
    anon(10321802) likes this.
    01-04-18 12:14 PM
    Ha! Several typos in previous post... K1 ain't no 99!!! Lol.
    I imagine the sheer weight and size of the thing fatigues your hand during a lengthy typing session.

The "palmable" 99 is so much more "handy" that way.
    01-04-18 12:37 PM

ipad is a TON better to lug around than say a massive heavy 15 or 17 inch laptop. I know a guy in a wheelchair and since I got him into iPads it has changed his world. Of course, he is mobility limited tho.

I use a full size laptop bag with a lot of accessory pockets and it’s like carrying an empty bag with the iPad Air in it. The problem is I keep bringing more and more other stuff with me and now it is like a ton of bricks
    anon(10321802) likes this.
    01-04-18 12:44 PM
    Anyway to get back on topic

I didn’t know Glen Campbell Died in 2017. I was a huge Roger Moore fan and that was the Bond I grew up with. Martin Landau from Space 1999 in the ‘70’s and Mary Tyler Moore, does anyone recognize anyone else?

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_3500.jpg
    rayporsche likes this.
    01-04-18 12:47 PM
    ipad is a TON better to lug around than say a massive heavy 15 or 17 inch laptop. I know a guy in a wheelchair and since I got him into iPads it has changed his world. Of course, he is mobility limited tho.

I use a full size laptop bag with a lot of accessory pockets and it’s like carrying an empty bag with the iPad Air in it. The problem is I keep bringing more and more other stuff with me and now it is like a ton of bricks
    This quote was unintended funny on your part. Glad you're helping your buddy out. You'd make him laugh too....
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    01-04-18 12:49 PM
    This quote was unintended funny on your part. Glad you're helping your buddy out. You'd make him laugh too....
    He won’t laugh when I refuse to carry his laptop bag because it’s too heavy now ;-)
    01-04-18 12:53 PM
    I was a huge Roger Moore fan and that was the Bond I grew up with.
    Same here I had no idea that he checked out..back on topic right ? hahahahaha

'shaken not stirred'

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-screenshot1372.jpg
    Last edited by rayporsche; 01-04-18 at 02:25 PM.
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    01-04-18 01:01 PM

Spare battery, Classic and K1 all stay charged in F350. I don't carry a wall charger to forget in a motel..
    Personally, I've found battery performance on the KEYone outstanding, it can easily go >2 days on a single charge. Admittedly, I'm not using it all day everyday (as the 9900 remains my primary device) but when in use the KEYone is often doing 'heavy lifting' enabling content rich, data heavy, media consumption.

I'm also getting better on the KEYone pkb, it's no where near as good as the 9900 with its trackpad, but is on par with the Q10, and I am enjoying the improved text selection options on that touch sensitive keyboard, double tap to enable cursor for selection etc.
    RaybanRJ and idssteve like this.
    01-04-18 02:20 PM
    I was using a palm pixi over my vacation. I love light phones. That said, I'm back at work and decided to lug around my passport again. Geesh it's big, especially with the case on. I might have to switch back to my Bold or Curve though, especially if ATT wants to shut down BIS this year. I want to enjoy it as long as I can.
    01-04-18 07:54 PM
    I was using a palm pixi over my vacation. I love light phones. That said, I'm back at work and decided to lug around my passport again. Geesh it's big, especially with the case on. I might have to switch back to my Bold or Curve though, especially if ATT wants to shut down BIS this year. I want to enjoy it as long as I can.
    I've got a Noreve case for my Passport which increases the thickness about 3 times, lol. Adding in the cards and cash as well. So the Passport stays in my backpack and is only used when I sit down. The Bold is the mobile thing, in my pocket if not on hand. Well, anything bigger than the Bold goes in the backpack.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-18 06:48 AM
    Same here I had no idea that he checked out..back on topic right ? hahahahaha

'shaken not stirred'

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot1372.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	432950
    Of all the 007s, I like him the most.
    He was way before Bold time (lame way to get back on topic).
    The last guy, Daniel Craig I believe, looks way too aggressive, as if he's ready to fight the world any time. Very un-Bond.

Posted via CB10
    rayporsche likes this.
    01-05-18 06:58 AM
    Personally, I've found battery performance on the KEYone outstanding, it can easily go >2 days on a single charge. Admittedly, I'm not using it all day everyday (as the 9900 remains my primary device) but when in use the KEYone is often doing 'heavy lifting' enabling content rich, data heavy, media consumption.

I'm also getting better on the KEYone pkb, it's no where near as good as the 9900 with its trackpad, but is on par with the Q10, and I am enjoying the improved text selection options on that touch sensitive keyboard, double tap to enable cursor for selection etc.
    K1 really is an impressive package, for an android. Battery endurance really is impressive. Especially if not used much and permitted to remain in "sleep" mode. I really don't know how long it might live in "sleep mode" but suspect multiple days, from what I've observed. Like any handset, network signal strength impacts endurance. Out here in "BFNW" att stuff is worthless and VZW stuff burns down scary fast. My 99 with oem battery might not make it to lunchtime. Lol. "Fat boy" batt gets 99 comfortably thru the day, out here. BUT, swapping in a spare represents less than 3 minutes of downtime while it boots back up. I typically pop a fresh batt into 99 and holster it while continuing life. Feeling assigned vibration pattern from holster let's me know 99's back on the job. I'm usually grateful for the three minute break. Lol.

Likewise, my Classic is mostly spent by day's end, out here. Too many times I've pressed my luck only to experience the typical day's end flurry of activity that kills Classic off mid-call, or something. So rather than tie it to a wall and tie myself down in order to stand guard over it while it "refreshes itself", I find it most convenient to simply trade Classic for K1 over lunch time and stay focused on life. Lol. I actually enjoy the stroll out to my truck over lunch time. A nice break from things.

K1 would likely endure a full day out here but I just can't catch up, or even keep up, with morning rush work flow while using it. So far, anyway. Still practicing, learning, exploring techniques, etc but... Not there yet. great as K1 is, for an Android, I haven't yet gotten 25% of the productivity my 99/Classic combo reliably delivers each day. At least during projects like we're currently embroiled in. It has been working out nicely, tho, to get morning rush critical communications heavy lifting accomplished in the morning with 99/Classic and reserve activities K1 is best suited at for afternoon. I should point out that precious little of my work involves much media consumption. Messaging, data entry, task management, VOICE calls, etc are most of what I use my handsets for. Which possibly explains why I find 9900 and Classic so productive. Lol.

K1's keyboard and keyboard shortcuts (!!!) make it SOooo much more productive than my D60 slabdroid. No comparison. From what little I know about droid, K1 is by far the BEST of android. Imo. For whatever that says. Can't hold a candle to 99, tho. I'd say K1's about 25% of a 99. That's really saying a LOT, for a droid. I don't consider my D60 to be 5% of a 99, so... Lol. Oversized Classic's about 85% of 99, imo. Mostly thanks to its toolbelt! K1, oversized as it is, could be SOooo much better with a real trackpad-toolbelt!!! Imo. Fwiw.
    Last edited by idssteve; 01-05-18 at 07:35 AM.
    01-05-18 07:11 AM
    Hey Steve now that you are kind of comparing those devices how do you feel about the 9900/9930 screen when compared to the Classic in terms of clarity and brightness ? lately I've been having a hard time liking the Classic's screen to the point that I feel that there may be something wrong with it. Every time I pick up the 9900 after using the Classic cannot help it but feel that the 9900 screen clarity is fantastic for such a small device wouldn't you agree ?

Perhaps it's all in their inherent design characteristics, Classic's 3.5" IPS LCD 16M Colors with the 720 x 720 pixels, 1:1 ratio ~294 poi density versus the Bold's 2.8" TFT 16M Colors with the 640 x 480 pixels, 4:3 ratio ~286 poi density. Oh well it would be fair to say that TFT (Thin Film Transistor) will probably be cleared than an LCD (liquid Crystal Display).
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    01-05-18 07:46 AM
8,754 ... 301302303304305 ...