Apple and iPhone batteries: In the comments section of a Wall Street Journal piece on Apple and their oops oh rats, a guy mentioned it wasn't _always_ the case that one had to get special tools and refrain from drinking coffee for a week to replace a battery...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    12-29-17 04:03 PM
    Apple and iPhone batteries: In the comments section of a Wall Street Journal piece on Apple and their oops oh rats, a guy mentioned it wasn't _always_ the case that one had to get special tools and refrain from drinking coffee for a week to replace a battery...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    The place that changed the battery in my iPhone 5c took 20 minutes while I waited, but now if I needed a battery changed on the iPhone 7, it has glue holding the screen and waterproofing seals and it would be a lot more work than the 5C but it still can be done. I’m pretty sure Apple glues down all their batteries in the devices. Those guys sure knew what they were doing but they’re a pretty skilled place. It was also where I bought my 9900, my 9790, as well as changing the 2 defective camera modules I had on my white/gold 9780.

How come I never hear about people swapping batteries on Android phones? Might be because the updates supposedly only come for 2 years and then the device is no good anyway?
    Last edited by RaybanRJ; 12-29-17 at 05:46 PM.
    12-29-17 05:20 PM
    The place that changed the battery in my iPhone 5c took 20 minutes while I waited, but now if I needed a battery changed on the iPhone 7, it has glue holding the screen and waterproofing seals and it would be a lot more work than the 5C but it still can be done. Those guys sure knew what they were doing but they’re a pretty skilled place. It was also where I bought my 9900, my 9790, as well as changing the 2 defective camera modules I had on my white/gold 9780.

How come I never hear about people swapping batteries on Android phones? Might be because the updates supposedly only come for 2 years and then the device is no good anyway?
    Usually cheaper to just buy a new cheap Android... lol for the iPhone battery issue, cheaper and prolly better just to go / send to Apple... no? Re: the 6 and up issue just admitted to..
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    12-29-17 05:36 PM
    Usually cheaper to just buy a new cheap Android... lol for the iPhone battery issue, cheaper and prolly better just to go / send to Apple... no? Re: the 6 and up issue just admitted to..
    Well in the US I guess Apple said they will charge what $29 for the battery change if it’s an iPhone 6 or older? But normally I think it was $79. The beauty about my little shop is they know me and no price is set in stone. For example I paid I think it was $50 but then when I called for my buddy he talked them down to $30 for his iPhone 6, he still hasn’t done it yet he’s only considering it. He’s had no crashing on his iPhone 6 even though the battery is about three years old (supposedly why Apple slowed the processor speeds down) But he’s not too keen on shipping it away and having it missing for 10 days to two weeks if he does it via Apple, he would rather pay a little more if he had to and then just get the phone back in 20 minutes while he waits like I did.

I think they should always make phones where they could be fixed and not a sealed throwaway unit because these little independent stores, fixing things like iPhones is their bread-and-butter it keeps them in business. I don’t think we’re at the point yet where you have to throw the entire device away if something goes bad on it, but we’re pretty close to that point. I don’t think I’ve ever read about a bad camera module on an iPhone but I’m sure it happens, I just know I burnt the battery out in 1 1/2 years on my 5C.

That’s why it’s always good to have a back up phone that you could pop a Sim into.
    12-29-17 05:42 PM
    Well in the US I guess Apple said they will charge what $29 for the battery change if it’s an iPhone 6 or older? But normally I think it was $79. The beauty about my little shop is they know me and no price is set in stone. For example I paid I think it was $50 but then when I called for my buddy he talked them down to $30 for his iPhone 6, he still hasn’t done it yet he’s only considering it. He’s had no crashing on his iPhone 6 even though the battery is about three years old (supposedly why Apple slowed the processor speeds down) But he’s not too keen on shipping it away and having it missing for 10 days to two weeks if he does it via Apple, he would rather pay a little more if he had to and then just get the phone back in 20 minutes while he waits like I did.

I think they should always make phones where they could be fixed and not a sealed throwaway unit because these little independent stores, fixing things like iPhones is their bread-and-butter it keeps them in business. I don’t think we’re at the point yet where you have to throw the entire device away if something goes bad on it, but we’re pretty close to that point. I don’t think I’ve ever read about a bad camera module on an iPhone but I’m sure it happens, I just know I burnt the battery out in 1 1/2 years on my 5C.

That’s why it’s always good to have a back up phone that you could pop a Sim into.
    My kids have the 7, 6 and 5... The 5 and before seemed OK with outside repair. The 6 and newer seemed to be not worth going outside apple. The price difference wasn't as great and the shop I used told me Apple was making it harder to compete price and quality wise...

My 11 year old needed to replace the battery on her 6 after getting as hand me down. The mom and pop wanted 70 bucks and Apple was $79. For 9 bucks more.... Then problem with removing battery and then Apple gave her new 6 for price of battery. This was right as 7 came out so it was a good deal.

For screen replacement 6 months later, mom and pop wanted $100/no less, Apple $140. Mind you, I have Apple store 10 minutes away. Just seems like they're fighting to get the service biz and if they screw up, they are in better position to handle a better resolution.

Just passing it along, but I'm far away in Florida... just thought I'd mention that... going out to bring in the garbage cans. Getting cold here, must be close to 60 now that sun went down.....LOL ;-/
    12-29-17 06:01 PM
    ...How come I never hear about people swapping batteries on Android phones? Might be because the updates supposedly only come for 2 years and then the device is no good anyway?
    Yeah. Androids are much more of a commodity item.
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    12-29-17 06:11 PM
    My kids have the 7, 6 and 5... The 5 and before seemed OK with outside repair. The 6 and newer seemed to be not worth going outside apple. The price difference wasn't as great and the shop I used told me Apple was making it harder to compete price and quality wise...

My 11 year old needed to replace the battery on her 6 after getting as hand me down. The mom and pop wanted 70 bucks and Apple was $79. For 9 bucks more.... Then problem with removing battery and then Apple gave her new 6 for price of battery. This was right as 7 came out so it was a good deal.

For screen replacement 6 months later, mom and pop wanted $100/no less, Apple $140. Mind you, I have Apple store 10 minutes away. Just seems like they're fighting to get the service biz and if they screw up, they are in better position to handle a better resolution.

Just passing it along, but I'm far away in Florida... just thought I'd mention that... going out to bring in the garbage cans. Getting cold here, must be close to 60 now that sun went down.....LOL ;-/
    Those are good deals actually and I am surprised the mom and pops CHARGED THAT much there.

For something like screen replacement I would stick with Apple because a couple years ago there was some controversy over screen replacements at mom and pops and the finger print scanners not working once the screens were changed. It turns out that Apple was “coding” the screens with the FP scanners and they would not work unless fixed at the Apple store.

I wish we had “official” Apple stores here, at least in my province we cannot have them for some reason. But there IS a place at the mall fully paid for and built by Apple and they do probably everything an “Apple Store” does but they are not allowed to be called an “Apple Store.” Might be legal reasons who knows.
    12-29-17 06:17 PM
    And don’t mention cold to me, I think we have you beat right now 9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_3262.jpg
    12-29-17 06:21 PM
    I've replaced the battery in a Nexus 4. I would have replaced the battery in an LG G2, but it's a crazy weird shape and very hard to find a legitimate replacement as a result.
    12-29-17 07:11 PM
    I've replaced the battery in a Nexus 4. I would have replaced the battery in an LG G2, but it's a crazy weird shape and very hard to find a legitimate replacement as a result.
    Curious, do they glue down their batteries or have any waterproofing in the form of rubber seals?
    12-29-17 07:13 PM
    Posted via CB10 from my 100-4 Passport SE
    12-29-17 07:29 PM
    And in the meantime, it takes me 5 seconds (if even that) to change the battery myself, at no cost, in my blackberry. Or my palm. Okay, it takes about 10 seconds for my nokia, but the back cover is a little more stubborn there.
    12-29-17 07:49 PM
    It's always been a wonder for me how you can survive that cold. I was in EU about a month ago and it was 2 or 3 degree C. We had a day at a ski resort where it was below zero of course. There my brain stopped functioning, and the only thought was 'get back inside'. I got home with a terrible allergy which started as dried and cracked up skin. I guess if I were in Canada now I would be in a vegetative state of existence until being shipped back down near the equator.
    BTW, what do you suggest for a skin moisturiser for that kind of cold?

Posted via CB10
    12-29-17 08:05 PM
    It's always been a wonder for me how you can survive that cold. I was in EU about a month ago and it was 2 or 3 degree C. We had a day at a ski resort where it was below zero of course. There my brain stopped functioning, and the only thought was 'get back inside'. I got home with a terrible allergy which started as dried and cracked up skin. I guess if I were in Canada now I would be in a vegetative state of existence until being shipped back down near the equator.

Posted via CB10
    “Machete Don’t Text” and “RJ no use Skin Moisturizer”

Funny story tonite, it’s -30 and I’m visiting my parents, they made me go check the mailbox after supper, I’m pretty sure I lost 2 fingers and I saw a snowman breaking into a house. All I know is that I froze my face, and the faster you walk the worse it is because of the “created windchill” you make. It is uncharacteristically colder than normal right now and it will be warming up to -5C next week.

More concerned about driving cars in this because tires are like blocks of ice and hoses can break.

Needless to say I left my cell at home. My iPhone would probably shatter if I dropped it even with an Otterbox Commuter on it.
    12-29-17 08:13 PM
    Curious, do they glue down their batteries or have any waterproofing in the form of rubber seals?
    The Nexus 4 battery was glued down. It seemed to be the same kind of glue that's in my Passport.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    12-29-17 09:38 PM
    “Machete Don’t Text” and “RJ no use Skin Moisturizer”

Funny story tonite, it’s -30 and I’m visiting my parents, they made me go check the mailbox after supper, I’m pretty sure I lost 2 fingers and I saw a snowman breaking into a house. All I know is that I froze my face, and the faster you walk the worse it is because of the “created windchill” you make. It is uncharacteristically colder than normal right now and it will be warming up to -5C next week.

More concerned about driving cars in this because tires are like blocks of ice and hoses can break.

Needless to say I left my cell at home. My iPhone would probably shatter if I dropped it even with an Otterbox Commuter on it.
    Floriduh sounds pretty good right now don't it?!?

Trump's 3 hours away on the other side of the state. Quit ur complaining..... LMAO

Besides 1/2 of Canada is down here right now anyway. First rounds on me...
    12-29-17 09:41 PM
    Floriduh sounds pretty good right now don't it?!?

Trump's 3 hours away on the other side of the state. Quit ur complaining..... LMAO

Meh I know my luck, I’ll get flagged at the airport for being a foreigner and sent to Gitmo
    12-29-17 10:15 PM
    The Nexus 4 battery was glued down. It seemed to be the same kind of glue that's in my Passport.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Ha ha when they were done with my 5C battery was shaped like an L! They said that was the hardest part of changing a battery was getting it out because it’s glued so tight.
    12-29-17 10:16 PM

Oh, that's how them Canadian survive their winter.
    Some headed my way as I saw a big group of people in a hotel lobby last week, with a few having Maple Leave on their jacket or woolen dress. It's been hovering around 12-14 degree C here, must be like Canadian summer.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-17 11:14 PM

Posted via CB10
    It’s funny you mention surviving in the cold tonight, just saw this on Twitter.......

I would call this a major emergency, but it’s the kind of news that would never make it in the US9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_3280.jpg
    12-29-17 11:15 PM
    Ok that didn’t work, let’s try this .....

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_3280.jpg
    12-29-17 11:17 PM

Posted via CB10
    We saw -6C over Christmas here. It's not like we're halfway up a mountain, but away from the coast and a huge 98 metres above sea-level we sometimes get a slight frost. (London Uk)

'what do you suggest for a skin moisturiser for that kind of cold? '

The locals seem to use vodka to keep the cold out, the last time I went ski-ing in Austria. Presumably it's why many of them end up kissing trees. (E45 skin crem is the one. Made from good old distilled paraffin waxes and lanolin from sheeps. I think you can run a diesel on it.)

E45 Cream
    littlebuff likes this.
    12-30-17 04:35 AM
    We saw -6C over Christmas here. It's not like we're halfway up a mountain, but away from the coast and a huge 98 metres above sea-level we sometimes get a slight frost. (London Uk)

'what do you suggest for a skin moisturiser for that kind of cold? '

The locals seem to use vodka to keep the cold out, the last time I went ski-ing in Austria. Presumably it's why many of them end up kissing trees. (E45 skin crem is the one. Made from good old distilled paraffin waxes and lanolin from sheeps. I think you can run a diesel on it.)

E45 Cream
    Thanks Sue-zz. Glad that you're around. Somehow I never thought that I should not have asked the guys about this stuff, lol.

I picked up my first bottle of moisturizer in Retford, a village about 30 miles outside of Nottingham. But the brand doesn't seem to work anymore, or my body demands more as it gets older. Will definitely try E45. Only need it for a week or two every year when I go north.

Yes it was an Austrian skii resort for me. But I am sure that the local were in pretty good shape as they were too busy counting cash. It was the visitors who breathed out schnapps and similar. But I get the idea.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-17 05:53 AM
    Will definitely try E45. Only need it for a week or two every year when I go north.

Posted via CB10
    Roger D. We don't need no cracked lips on CrackBerry.
    12-30-17 10:59 AM
    You can try resending your service books anytime I believe by going to your email account on the 9900 and then click the BlackBerry dotted button for options and then there is a a clickable “send Service Books”
    It self-registered when I popped in the sim the first time (a couple days ago) but I re-requested registration. Didn't solve the Twitter issue but them I remembered I'd changed my Twitter password. So I logged out and in with the new one and its working fine. Don't know why the error message couldn't have said "wrong username/password" instead of "Twitter network unavailable". lol

I did the "send service books" thing you mention above just for good measure, thanks for the tip!
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    12-30-17 01:37 PM
8,754 ... 292293294295296 ...