When I lived in Northern BC, I had a friend who used to slide a metal garbage can lid of lit charcoal briquettes under his car in extremely cold weather. I'm *not* recommending this (think gas and flames, people!). It just made me laugh to think about it again.

Cars sure respond differently to cold weather. The throttle on my 86 Ranger used to freeze open at -40. That was a lovely experience. I also owned an 85 Chevy that would start in *any* weather. It once started at -53C without being plugged in. I had to pick up quite a few co-workers that morning.

What's your favourite Christmas present this year? Mine really shows my age: my wife got me one of those lighted hands free magnifying glasses that clamp onto a table -- for working on small electronics. Those tiny parts are getting hard to see these days
    Well let’s face it when it’s -40 anything can freeze and break on a vehicle like fan belts even starter motors. Way up north the RCMP put propane burners open flame under the oil pans because it’s regularly about -45 to -50+ up there, there was a show on CBC one time about that and I also think they basically keep them running all the time non stop. I’ve broke several rad hoses and CV boot rubbers in front wheel drive vehicles and those aren’t cheap to fix anymore. I was even nervous about breaking a CV boot today just from turning the steering wheel because the rubber is frozen solid, more or less.

I found my Spare set of keys for my Buick with the remote and I was able thankfully to start the car through the living room window without having to go outside ha ha. Always amazes me why they put block heaters, heated seats and remote start on vehicles for California Texas or Florida I mean what’s the point we need them up here. Toyota has the nerve to charge extra for things like block heaters but at least with American cars they give it to you included.

My favourite present? $CASH$, what else ;-)
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    12-25-17 03:43 PM
    Oh man, -27c is roughly -17F! Cold no matter WHERE you're from! Lol. #2 diesel can look like vaseline at those temps. At least without adequate additives and/or #1 blend. That subzero fuel will frostbite fingers quickly while clearing gell from filters at roadside. Btdt. Lol.
    Sheared kickstart lever failing to start my 65 Panhead one -20F morning. Didn't know my own strength in those college days. Lol. Probably for the best since the straight sAE50 wt neglectfully in it had to be like tar, at that temp. 65 was Harley's first year for electric starter and it was smart enough to not even try... Haha..

All season rider in college days. Proper equipment made things nicely comfortable. Frostbite was a persistent threat. Especially fingers.

99 & Classic trackpads work pretty well with gloves. What options do slab users have for frostbite conditions?
    Are you a believer in synthetic oil for your vehicles when it’s cold? My last oil change last month I got they said they use synthetic because people don’t even ask for regular oil anymore, but we pay $80 for a full oil change with synthetic up here. I’m kind of glad I had synthetic on this cold day.
    12-25-17 03:44 PM
    Are you a believer in synthetic oil for your vehicles when it’s cold? My last oil change last month I got they said they use synthetic because people don’t even ask for regular oil anymore, but we pay $80 for a full oil change with synthetic up here. I’m kind of glad I had synthetic on this cold day.
    Yes. Big believer in syntho Rotella T6 for my 7.3 Powerstroke. That engine design can pressurize lube oil nearly 3000 psi for injector actuation. Warms up SOoo much nicer with 5-40 T6.

Of course we'd never heard of synthetic back in MY college days. Lol. Failing to use appropriate viscosity was the problem with my old Pan. Dumb college kid with other priorities, ya kno... Lol.

How do you use your iPhone in severe cold?
    12-25-17 04:31 PM
    Yes. Big believer in syntho Rotella T6 for my 7.3 Powerstroke. That engine design can pressurize lube oil nearly 3000 psi for injector actuation. Warms up SOoo much nicer with 5-40 T6.

Of course we'd never heard of synthetic back in MY college days. Lol. Failing to use appropriate viscosity was the problem with my old Pan. Dumb college kid with other priorities, ya kno... Lol.

How do you use your iPhone in severe cold?
    The iPhone has no problems in cold weather, there was some issue with the iPhone 10 that people seem fixated on but the next update fixed that straight away. But typically when it is this cold I don’t pull the phone out much, we are too busy rushing to get to the car or any door we can find

It is my understanding that the US military had some synthetic oils during WW2?
    12-25-17 04:33 PM
    The iPhone has no problems in cold weather, there was some issue with the iPhone 10 that people seem fixated on but the next update fixed that straight away. But typically when it is this cold I don’t pull the phone out much, we are too busy rushing to get to the car or any door we can find

It is my understanding that the US military had some synthetic oils during WW2?
    Yes, nothing new about synthoil. Various esters as some early versions. Part of the learning curve involved seal compatibility. Later formulations converged with improved seal materials to pretty much make "syntho drip" from older engines history. Hydrodynamic properties might make me skeptical of using syntho during break-in. Rings might too easily "hydroplane" over cylinder wall surface, impeding their heat rejection into cylinder walls?? Leading to ring "collapse" and/or wall glazing?? But modern production methods make ring break-in pretty much history, also... So...

I'd heard of special gloves that I believe were intended to assist capacitive function... Just wondered if you had any cold weather experience with anything like that? Might be coerced into a "glass" world in a couple years. Just considering eventualities. Lol.
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    12-25-17 05:42 PM
    Yes, nothing new about synthoil. Various esters as some early versions. Part of the learning curve involved seal compatibility. Later formulations converged with improved seal materials to pretty much make "syntho drip" from older engines history. Hydrodynamic properties might make me skeptical of using syntho during break-in. Rings might too easily "hydroplane" over cylinder wall surface, impeding their heat rejection into cylinder walls?? Leading to ring "collapse" and/or wall glazing?? But modern production methods make ring break-in pretty much history, also... So...

I'd heard of special gloves that I believe were intended to assist capacitive function... Just wondered if you had any cold weather experience with anything like that? Might be coerced into a "glass" world in a couple years. Just considering eventualities. Lol.
    Nope, I’m a real Canadian,I don’t use no stinkin’ gloves unless I have to change a car tire. Can’t stand wearing gloves actually, no point in wearing them when you have to reach into pockets constantly to get keys out of pockets, etc. My next car will have a heated steering wheel tho

We have a couple of Cadillacs in my family, dad has a DTS with the Northstar and I learned from a car forum I was on that mechanics see Northstar engines with 80,000 miles and they are not even broken in yet, the reason......people use synthetic oil and the old timers that have them (like my dad) NEVER drive them hard enough to fully seat the rings, etc.
    12-25-17 05:53 PM
    Nope, I’m a real Canadian,I don’t use no stinkin’ gloves unless I have to change a car tire. Can’t stand wearing gloves actually, no point in wearing them when you have to reach into pockets constantly to get keys out of pockets, etc. My next car will have a heated steering wheel tho

We have a couple of Cadillacs in my family, dad has a DTS with the Northstar and I learned from a car forum I was on that mechanics see Northstar engines with 80,000 miles and they are not even broken in yet, the reason......people use synthetic oil and the old timers that have them (like my dad) NEVER drive them hard enough to fully seat the rings, etc.
    Ring technology has seen quite an odyssey of discovery for well over a century. Had it not been tried by folks who didn't know it was "impossible", it's really tough to imagine engineering principles that might have led to their invention by academia. Instead, it's been mostly all us engineering types could do to simply explain WHY the things work in the first place!!! Lol.

Likewise, these modern communications instruments are really evolutionarily analogous to auto industry a century ago. "Academia" clearly has no idea, or interest in, WHY "we who don't know any better" remain convinced that 9900's configuration works so well! ... WHAT will communications look like a century from now? Lol.

My 7.3L diesel F350 has 631,000 miles on it. Mostly accumulated under abusive fleet service conditions before I bought it. I had injectors out re-sealing the engine at about 550,000 miles. Borescopic inspection showed cross hatch in the cylinders!! The 6.0L fleet our company replaced these 7.3s with turned out to be VERY troublesome! Newer was NOT better in THAT case. Sometimes things just turn out that way. Lol.
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    12-25-17 09:33 PM
    Ring technology has seen quite an odyssey of discovery for well over a century. Had it not been tried by folks who didn't know it was "impossible", it's really tough to imagine engineering principles that might have led to their invention by academia. Instead, it's been mostly all us engineering types could do to simply explain WHY the things work in the first place!!! Lol.

Likewise, these modern communications instruments are really evolutionarily analogous to auto industry a century ago. "Academia" clearly has no idea, or interest in, WHY "we who don't know any better" remain convinced that 9900's configuration works so well! ... WHAT will communications look like a century from now? Lol.

My 7.3L diesel F350 has 631,000 miles on it. Mostly accumulated under abusive fleet service conditions before I bought it. I had injectors out re-sealing the engine at about 550,000 miles. Borescopic inspection showed cross hatch in the cylinders!! The 6.0L fleet our company replaced these 7.3s with turned out to be VERY troublesome! Newer was NOT better in THAT case. Sometimes things just turn out that way. Lol.
    I think in 100 years we will just have a chip in plantation in our brains and it will be wireless connected to the net, or we will all be telepathic by then and we will just think of the person and talk to them ;-)

I know that Mercedes has 1,000,000 mile club for their diesels and I guess basically because diesel is like an oily gas the engines last a long long time. My dad’s work truck was a 1994 F250 and it never broke down once. And if you really want to go way back my dad had a 1956 Ford tow truck for the Gulf service station he owned and in 1980 that thing was still running and it was never fixed once, just maintained.
    12-25-17 09:42 PM
    Here is his personal truck, he bought it new in 1978, still original even paint. No Bluetooth in this thing

12-25-17 09:47 PM
    I think in 100 years we will just have a chip in plantation in our brains and it will be wireless connected to the net, or we will all be telepathic by then and we will just think of the person and talk to them ;-)

I know that Mercedes has 1,000,000 mile club for their diesels and I guess basically because diesel is like an oily gas the engines last a long long time. My dad’s work truck was a 1994 F250 and it never broke down once. And if you really want to go way back my dad had a 1956 Ford tow truck for the Gulf service station he owned and in 1980 that thing was still running and it was never fixed once, just maintained.
    Well, I guess Ford's 6.0 diesel and BB's Storm prove that lemons can be made by anyone.
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    12-25-17 10:49 PM
    Just an update but you all probably know this...

WhatsApp won't work on these phones from December 31
    http://a.mynews.ly/!MD.HqlVh
    12-26-17 01:46 AM

I know that Mercedes has 1,000,000 mile club for their diesels and I guess basically because diesel is like an oily gas the engines last a long long time.
    Modern ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel really provides pretty abysmal lubricity for injection system plungers & barrels, for example. I know that spray pattern maladies can result in cylinder wash down, resulting in very short ring life. Lol. Properly configured injection geometry will keep the plume in the bowl and away from cylinder walls. A boundary layer of inert gasses can be preserved to protect things like cylinder walls. Non-stratified charge gassers, on the other hand, must mostly accept fuel charge mixture contacting everything... Including cylinder walls... Might be what you're referring to??

Diesel's reputation for durability is partly to do with robustness of construction required for tolerating virtually double+ firing pressures, compared with gassers. That's one reason why they're so heavy. If an industrial/commercial grade design will tolerate 2 hrs of 1500 psi firing pressure at full load, it will be so under stressed at, say, 750 psi highway cruzing firing pressures that it lasts "forever". Compared with "consumer grade" gassers, at least. Ford took Navistar's (International/Caterpillar) commercial/industrial design and applied consumer oriented design criteria. Resulting in a learning curve that should have been predicted and expected. Once again, academia ultimately encountered real world experience. Lol. VERY similar to RIM/BB experience in transition from our "commercial grade" 99s into "consumer grade" markets. Certainly more sales volume in the consumer reality. Generally lower margins, tho. Also, not necessarily optimized for commercial/industrial/enterprise applications. .

I'll take a tool over a toy ANY day! Tools ARE my toys! Lol. Most of the "consumer" planet obviously disagrees. For now, at least.
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    12-26-17 06:06 AM
    Modern ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel really provides pretty abysmal lubricity for injection system plungers & barrels, for example. I know that spray pattern maladies can result in cylinder wash down, resulting in very short ring life. Lol. Properly configured injection geometry will keep the plume in the bowl and away from cylinder walls. A boundary layer of inert gasses can be preserved to protect things like cylinder walls. Non-stratified charge gassers, on the other hand, must mostly accept fuel charge mixture contacting everything... Including cylinder walls... Might be what you're referring to??

Diesel's reputation for durability is partly to do with robustness of construction required for tolerating virtually double+ firing pressures, compared with gassers. That's one reason why they're so heavy. If an industrial/commercial grade design will tolerate 2 hrs of 1500 psi firing pressure at full load, it will be so under stressed at, say, 750 psi highway cruzing firing pressures that it lasts "forever". Compared with "consumer grade" gassers, at least. Ford took Navistar's (International/Caterpillar) commercial/industrial design and applied consumer oriented design criteria. Resulting in a learning curve that should have been predicted and expected. Once again, academia ultimately encountered real world experience. Lol. VERY similar to RIM/BB experience in transition from our "commercial grade" 99s into "consumer grade" markets. Certainly more sales volume in the consumer reality. Generally lower margins, tho. Also, not necessarily optimized for commercial/industrial/enterprise applications. .

I'll take a tool over a toy ANY day! Tools ARE my toys! Lol. Most of the "consumer" planet obviously disagrees. For now, at least.
    My spouse told me that I'm a tool, alas, context matters. I'm wondering if she meant as complement or insult......
    rayporsche and littlebuff like this.
    12-26-17 01:06 PM
    My spouse told me that I'm a tool, alas, context matters. I'm wondering if she meant as complement or insult......

Haha... Maybe best not ask? Lol.
    12-26-17 06:56 PM
    I'm enjoying the pictures of old trucks and talk of -47(F) . We have -1C in the UK today, and a few millimetres of wet snow. We're unaccustomed to such 'extremes', the merest mention of snow sends the UK population into some sort of juvenile madness, then all the public transport breaks down. 1 centimetre is enough to bring the UK to a standstill.

It's worse at Christmas time. The train operators close down many services. South-East Trains ceased services on 23rd December, and won't restart until the 2nd January. That's no way for a 'civilised' country to run its infrastructure. As a consquence the motorways flood with traffic and breakdowns, and the wise stay home and wait out the power cuts and the end of The Time of Madness.

We've just had two power-outs, the computers and internets here are on UPS's, but the flickering lights and brown outs are p*ssing off the fridge freezer. (I'm just south of London.)

Mobile services are so far unaffected. My 'free' BIS is still running, but for how long? It's like the End of The World out there. God knows what would happen if it really snowed. :-)

Brussels was really nice over the holiday. Mostly deserted, which suits me fine. Have a pic.

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-bruss.jpg
    littlebuff and rayporsche like this.
    12-27-17 02:18 AM
    I'm enjoying the pictures of old trucks and talk of -47(F) ]
    Celsius, I’m in Canada but Steve is in the US

And speaking of “communications” and freezing....

Worry more if the Russians CUT the underwater TransAtlantic cables because then things will get pretty “cold” there. The UK would basically be cut off....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...3b6_story.html

I just also read that WhatsApp is announced to be “killed” in a few days for BBOS BUT one article in AppyGeek cited that most of the App still might work. However certain “services” or “options” may cease to be functional. As for BIS ..... supposedly 2 years. I think for Canada it means we will get the full 2 years but I cannot guess for the rest of the world.

Can’t see your pic for some reason
    Last edited by RaybanRJ; 12-27-17 at 02:38 AM.
    12-27-17 02:28 AM
    Ok so according to this the App will still continue to work. Getting mixed messages from various sites....

WhatsApp just gave BlackBerry and Windows Phone an ultimatum
    http://a.mynews.ly/!MD.Hq_Xo
    12-27-17 02:49 AM
    Haha... -47F is Antarctic cold! A former coworker/colleague just returned from wintering over down there. It's summertime there, now. Lol. He entertained our small Christmas party with photos on our 100" screen from, you guessed it, his 9900 bridged thru PB. I never really appreciated how impressive Emperor Penguins were!!! That bird ain't flying!! At least in air... lol.

I'm ok with Celsius and see reasoning behind it. At sea level, at least. Lol. I'd actually prefer Kelvin, since so many engineering calcs must count from "absolute zero". Lol. My heartburn with decimalized measures (mm, cm, M, KM...) is that "base 10" really only makes sense to us 10 fingered creatures... lol. The digital technology we're typing and reading this with ultimately must employ some binary derivative like octal (8) or hexadecimal (16) (maybe what some ancient prophet might have called "number of the beast"...?? Haha!!) and/or... etc. Translating from and to our ten finger derived "base 10" demands significant processing overhead and inefficiencies. Maybe some distant century we'll teach our youth basic arithmetic without counting on fingers!! Lol. Teaching base 8 (or 16?) might ultimately achieve TRUE efficiency. Lol. If we ever establish communications with natives from foreign galaxies, they might not have 10 fingers. Nor fingers at all!! Lol. Good chance that they WILL comprehend the basic off/on (zero/one) binary concept. Mutual comprehension can build from there.... possibly into 2cubed at least?? Lol.

My biggest heartburn with decimal is how unfriendly it is to "in the head" divide! Division being the most challenging of the four basic operations. I once took a dozen donuts and a friend to my highschool physics teacher, who was a big metric advocate. Being an obnoxious teenage troublemaker, I removed two donuts and asked him to divide that "metric dozen" between the three of us. ... lol. 10 can be divided by 2 and by 5. 12 can be more easily divided by 2, 3, 4 and 6...!!!! Even Napoleon's "customary measures" recognized the difficulty of "in the head" decimal division! No problem with modern electronic calculators, but how efficiently will ppl divide things without electricity?? Of course when only the "elites" can divide the "wealth", it's SOooo much easier for some to be "more equal than others"... lol. Who would notice?? Lol.

Metric might be newer. The "masses" have accepted it... AND they've accepted its unfriendliness to basic "in the head" division. Lol. Sitting here comparing my newer D60 slab against 9900. WHAT, precisely, "the masses" see in slabs just doesn't compute... in MY troubled old brain, at least. Base ten, or otherwise. Lol Ya kno what they say when you start thinking everyone ELSE is nuts... haha...
    12-27-17 04:22 AM
    Ok so according to this the App will still continue to work. Getting mixed messages from various sites....

Ah yes, they're going to expand their base by shrinking it... makes sense... to SOMEone... lol.
    12-27-17 04:29 AM
    Ah yes, they're going to expand their base by shrinking it... makes sense... to SOMEone... lol.
    It's probably easier for them to mine data for monetization purposes on Android and iOS, so the more people they can force onto those platforms, the better (for them).
    12-27-17 06:51 AM
    ... but nothing like the net neutrality laws that got reversed in the US.
    Guys, you _really_ need to do some reading on the recent US FCC regulatory ruling. Despite the US media's incessant hysteria on the matter, the ruling has nothing to do with "net neutrality;" instead, it is a roll-back of a 2015 FCC rule regulating ISPs and telecoms like utilities under laws written in 1934. If you somehow managed to survive Life on The Information Highway before 2015, guess what? -- same thing.
    anon(10321802) likes this.
    12-27-17 09:09 AM
    hi everyone , hope u r all doing good. I bought my 3rd bb 9900 mobile yesterday, just wanted to share with you

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    12-27-17 09:10 AM
    ... A lot of companies like Apple and FB are against it because they know a lot of people won’t be able to afford it and it will take away sales.
    Actually, Facebook, The Goog, and Apple mostly sat on the sidelines during the quiet, secretive, pre-ruling Obama Administration discussions on this topic. It was the so-called "CEOs" of companies like -- seriously -- Tumblr Obama was listening to.
    12-27-17 09:15 AM
    hi everyone , hope u r all doing good. I bought my 3rd bb 9900 mobile yesterday, just wanted to share with you

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Haha... Pretty safe to say you're liking your previous two 99's? Lol. In my industry we call that "repeat customer". 99's charms are enchantingly addictive.
    David Tyler likes this.
    12-27-17 10:24 AM
    Actually, Facebook, The Goog, and Apple mostly sat on the sidelines during the quiet, secretive, pre-ruling Obama Administration discussions on this topic. It was the so-called "CEOs" of companies like -- seriously -- Tumblr Obama was listening to.
    Ahh probably because it wasn’t Obama that wanted “targeted billing” for using certain apps and then charging extra for everything overall.

Do you know how big Tumblr is? They know that MOST people that use these apps (and a lot of people are employed by the likes of Facebook and Tumblr, Youtube, etc) are NOT going to pay extra just to keep them around when the bills are high enough already (especially in other countries that already pay higher taxes)

Don’t worry, everything will be A-OK

AT&T workforce stricken with over 2000 layoffs U.S-wide days after $1000 tax reform bonus check
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/...rm-bonus-check
    12-27-17 01:08 PM
8,754 ... 289290291292293 ...