$700 Cdn, it’s enough to buy a used car here
    My neighbour only buys fifteen year old cars for the price of UK KeyOne. They seem to last him about 9 months before he has to buy another, but maybe he is just a cheapskate car geek. Or he likes stuff he can fix with a hammer instead of a laptop. :-)

The question of BisPhones here in the UK is kind of an ongoing mystery quest with no real answers. The favoured carrier Three (free/cheap European/USA calls back to the UK) is doing Weird Things with BIS, in that it [currently] works with no fees other than the standard PAYGO 1p/cent a megabyte. It used to cost a flat rate of £5 a month, or maybe it's my phone/SIM/phase of the moon, but I get fee-less BIS on PAYGO. How long for is still a guess.

Several other phone-y happenings have come and gone. The death of Windows phone/mobile was over-egged in the press, the W10 phones are still getting updates, but Microsoft have built a strong Android presence, and if, like me, you drop phones and need to replace them every month (I realise Bolds are indestructable) the $79 Android Motos are now disposable commodity items, like toothbrushes. They have good OneDrive and Office/Outlook/launcher and keypad (Swiftkey) integration. Other than the excellent tile interface of WinMo and the lack of Google slurping, there's now no real reason to hanker after WinMo phones. R.I.P.

The BlackDroids are still too expensive here. A DTEK50 is still hovering around £200, a KeyOne is £400 - too much to pay for Android when much the same functionality is found on the £100 Motos. Bold 9900's are around £60, about the price of a tank of gas. Curves are £17.50.

I changed my car this week, I have a choice between hooking the thing up to Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, but not Blackberry Auto, so I've gone with a locked down NetGuarded Android. As always, progress is often retrograde, and it's getting hard to find a smartphone of any description the same perfect size as a Bold: the trend is to 5.5" phones, which are really a pain in the asterisk to carry around or place in the car.

On the upside, my rapid slide into senility means I can read the screens more easily. :-)
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    12-21-17 12:44 AM
    My neighbour only buys fifteen year old cars for the price of UK KeyOne. They seem to last him about 9 months before he has to buy another, but maybe he is just a cheapskate car geek. Or he likes stuff he can fix with a hammer instead of a laptop. :-)

The question of BisPhones here in the UK is kind of an ongoing mystery quest with no real answers. The favoured carrier Three (free/cheap European/USA calls back to the UK) is doing Weird Things with BIS, in that it [currently] works with no fees other than the standard PAYGO 1p/cent a megabyte. It used to cost a flat rate of £5 a month, or maybe it's my phone/SIM/phase of the moon, but I get fee-less BIS on PAYGO. How long for is still a guess.

Several other phone-y happenings have come and gone. The death of Windows phone/mobile was over-egged in the press, the W10 phones are still getting updates, but Microsoft have built a strong Android presence, and if, like me, you drop phones and need to replace them every month (I realise Bolds are indestructable) the $79 Android Motos are now disposable commodity items, like toothbrushes. They have good OneDrive and Office/Outlook/launcher and keypad (Swiftkey) integration. Other than the excellent tile interface of WinMo and the lack of Google slurping, there's now no real reason to hanker after WinMo phones. R.I.P.

The BlackDroids are still too expensive here. A DTEK50 is still hovering around £200, a KeyOne is £400 - too much to pay for Android when much the same functionality is found on the £100 Motos. Bold 9900's are around £60, about the price of a tank of gas. Curves are £17.50.

I changed my car this week, I have a choice between hooking the thing up to Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, but not Blackberry Auto, so I've gone with a locked down NetGuarded Android. As always, progress is often retrograde, and it's getting hard to find a smartphone of any description the same perfect size as a Bold: the trend is to 5.5" phones, which are really a pain in the asterisk to carry around or place in the car.

On the upside, my rapid slide into senility means I can read the screens more easily. :-)
    Oh Suzie, you “had me” until you said “Android.”
    12-21-17 01:18 AM
    At least auto makers can't switch your car "off" when they feel like they need to extort sales... YET! Lol.

Our IT paid Amazon $500+, or so, for my 3GB K1. The 4GB version was $7-800, as I recall. 3's been enough, to date, but we're "just dating"... No real commitments... YET. Lol. If, like Priv, we're looking at two year effective life span, what's the point? That 500-700 $$ price effectively represents a two year SAF! Imo. My problem is getting K1 to accomplish anything near 1/4 the work load that my 99 assists with daily. I'd need four k1's to replace my 99... That's $2-2800 every two years?? !!! Lol. Is BB mimicking the Android/Samsung extorsion model?? Lol. Growing two more hands will only accommodate two of these gargantuan two handed k1 "hand"sets... I'd have to grow six more arms to keep up!!! A frightening vision! Haha... Lol.
    Last edited by idssteve; 12-21-17 at 08:59 AM.
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    12-21-17 08:22 AM
    Well, I switch my sim card around a lot. Every time I take it out of my 9900, I need to enter my BBID password next time I use the sim-less phone. Everything I put it back in, I have to re-enter the BBID password. If this is all just on the device and has nothing to do with servers, all is good. Another option, I suppose I could just log out of BBID about a month before the shut down and see what happens. I'll let you know...in two years.
    I was experimenting today, and if I pull the SIM from my Bold 9900, but don't use it with the SIM out, it does not ask for a BBID when I put the SIM in and fire it back up. If you use it SIM in, then SIM out, then SIM in, etc., it asks for the BBID with each change.

So in essence, as long as you never run the device without the SIM, it won't ask for a BBID. But who knows if that will still be the case once the BBID server is shut down...

When I tested my Q10 the same way, I didn't have the same problem. When it asked for the BBID, I could reject the request and go on as usual (until I tried to use BlackBerry World -- which won't be an issue after the shutdown).
    RaybanRJ and rayporsche like this.
    12-21-17 07:31 PM
    At least auto makers can't switch your car "off" when they feel like they need to extort sales... YET! Lol.

Our IT paid Amazon $500+, or so, for my 3GB K1. The 4GB version was $7-800, as I recall. 3's been enough, to date, but we're "just dating"... No real commitments... YET. Lol. If, like Priv, we're looking at two year effective life span, what's the point? That 500-700 $$ price effectively represents a two year SAF! Imo. My problem is getting K1 to accomplish anything near 1/4 the work load that my 99 assists with daily. I'd need four k1's to replace my 99... That's $2-2800 every two years?? !!! Lol. Is BB mimicking the Android/Samsung extorsion model?? Lol. Growing two more hands will only accommodate two of these gargantuan two handed k1 "hand"sets... I'd have to grow six more arms to keep up!!! A frightening vision! Haha... Lol.
    As someone who owns two 9900s and a K1...what is it that you can do on your 99 that you can't do on a K1?
    12-22-17 04:58 PM
    As someone who owns two 9900s and a K1...what is it that you can do on your 99 that you can't do on a K1?
    I have this feeling we're about to hear about spreadsheets and the trackpad shortly....
    12-22-17 05:46 PM
    I have this feeling we're about to hear about spreadsheets and the trackpad shortly....
    And “Productivity unparalleled”
    idssteve and anon(8063781) like this.
    12-22-17 05:47 PM

What can I do on 99 that CAN'T be done on k1? Sort of like asking what can be done with my Porsche that CAN'T be done with my F350 Crew Cab Dually. I CAN drive that F350 up coastal Hwy 1. Porsche is better suited for Hwy 1. Porsche can cover the same miles in half the time. Assuming I don't get ticketed or arrested. Lol. F350 is better suited for hauling & towing stuff. Pretty basic application of the right tool for the right job.

What does my 99 do better than k1? In a word: Work. Specifically, fielding messages & calls, working spreadsheets. Collaborating with coworkers & colleagues. Troubleshooting with client personnel. Etc, etc. Like my f350, K1 CAN do these things. Like my porsche, 99 can do these things in half the time. For me. And that is allowing for a GENEROUS "learning curve" handicap. I'm still learning K1 and developing technique but really can't yet achieve even 1/4 of the work load on K1 that I get done with 99. So far. And that's just comparing single handset with single handset. There's no way I'd ever contemplate double fisting two K1's simultaneously. That use demands single handed proficiency from both handsets. 99 is absolute master of single handed proficiency. Classic's toolblelt makes it pretty single handed friendly also. The two combined, one in each hand, simultaneously, can field hundreds of collaborative messages in a 12hr day... AND, I still have some energy at day's end.

99's un-distracted single handed proficiency also gets leveraged when I'm not in the office, trying to live a life. I get a LOT of work done with 99 over meals, for example. NOT with the wife, tho!! Lol. Simply because 99 can be FULLY operated without ever involving my right hand. Ever. I've gone days at a time without even touching 99 with my right hand!! I've yet to visualize a pathway to achieving that single handed performance level with k1.

And then there's TYPING! K1's KB is surprisingly good, for what it is. BUT, that keyboard is stuck under a glass slab that makes the size of the thing too large for maintaining a solid, wiggle free, grasp while typing. Imo. Unlike zero force, zero displacement VKB, PKB demands some slight force and some slight displacement to press keys. That force and displacement must be resisted and stabilized in equal & opposite Newtonian ways. K1 is simply too large for solidly stable single handed grasp to provide optimal zero error typing and editing speed & precision. Imo. Classic really is oversized, also, but compensates for editing, at least, by virtue of its toolbelt. A toolbelt that also provides PHYSICAL "end" key! A privacy essential when fielding rapid fire voice calls from frantic clients! Lol. K1's virtual call "end" is a bad joke typical of touch oriented tablets with telephony provisions added on as an afterthought. The first few times one fails to get a call disconnected and the other party listens to "shop talk" might seem funny, at first. Not so funny for privacy oriented professions like legal, medical, etc... Even engineering... Lol. Imo. Pressing the 99's physical "end" key pretty reliably ENDS the call! Pretty much no matter what other app you've migrated to, mid call. Frequently enough to check & update calendar, or contact data, or spreadsheets, or other messages... 99 reliably kills the call. No migrating back to phone app, or other distractions. Assuring k1 kills the call demands distractions in ways that slow other processes. Compounded by quite a few calls, per hour, that inefficiency alone becomes significant by day's end. Distraction of focus from the topic of the voice call is my biggest complaint.

K1 does some things better than 99. Surfing, movie watching, etc, etc... Like my F350, tho, K1 is simply too large for high speed precision. Imo. I do think it could be a fave of mine, tho, if they'd think a little out of the box and fit K2 with a toolbelt!! Fwiw.

BTW, just typed this on 99, in left hand, over dinner with NO distraction from fork hand priorities!
    Last edited by idssteve; 12-22-17 at 07:15 PM.
    12-22-17 06:36 PM
    Besides those, you can...pull out the battery. Fix components yourself. Have greater control over the LED settings and flashing. Read perfectly in direct sunlight shining smack down on the screen. One-handed typing. Fits in any pocket at all and you'll never worry about bending it. Screen has never EVER popped out by itself. Set the phone to automatically go to sleep and wake up. Set shortcuts that work within fractions of a second. Trackpad control is zippier and more precise than keyboardpad.

K1 is not a bad phone. But 9900 is a legendary phone. We'll see if anyone fondly remembers the K1 a decade from now....
    12-22-17 06:45 PM
    I've had my KEYone for a few weeks now and I am enjoying it -- as a home use device, for content-rich consumption, web browsing, casting movies to my TV etc., and I'm having some fun setting it up to do more and more. I'm using it now to browse CB forums on Tapatalk, but beside me is my 9900 and that has my SIM inside, it's the device I've been taking to work and when I go out later today it will be with the Bold, my KEYone will stay at home.
    For many of the reasons outlined by idssteve and others in this forum, I feel that the 9900 is the best device for 'getting things done'. So confident am I that this situation will persist that I've just ordered another charging dock for my 9900; I've used one on my office desk for years but I finally decided it's time to have one at home

The KEYone is a good device, the keyboard and text selection is good (but the 9900 is excellent). KEYone has bags of potential, the battery life and app choice is outstanding, and I will continue to explore/play with it, but I think it's going to be some considerable time before I'm prepared to use it as my primary workhorse.
    idssteve and RaybanRJ like this.
    12-23-17 03:59 AM
    Android Cast makes for a more refined movie experience than BB10's Miracast. BUT, Classic's trackpad makes large screen Miracast presentations a JOY. Even 9900 remote bridged thru Playbook's HDMI makes a wonderful "roam about the room" presentation beast. Thanks mostly to its trackpad and reasonable single handed dimensions. I frequently conduct presentations from pocket with 9900. Trackpad tames giant screens as nicely as it tames tiny screens! BUT, for movie Cast, K1 is my go to, these days.

K1's battery is phenomenal (a BIG reason it's so big & heavy) but ANY non-nuclear power source will need re-charging at SOME point. My K1 and Classic both still burn down by end of a HARD, low signal, day. That means seeking a power source to wire them to... in a SECURE location OR requiring that I physically maintain visual proximity while working unfamiliar job sites. All just to demean my sophisticated SMART phone to performing STUPID battery charging functions! I too frequently just shut down K1/Classic and restore 99 to 100% charge in under three minutes (including reboot) with a battery swap. I suffer no compunction about leaving my spare Batts in a charger in unfamiliar environments. Who's going to steal a Bold battery?? Lol. Other than coworkers... haha. I DO keep my workhorse battery near... it's lusted after by coworkers. Haha.

I have desk docks for 99 and Classic at office, at bedside, in living room, bathroom, etc. Even so, my frequent routine at bedside and office is to swap in battery from spare charger before setting 99 in dock for maintaining 100% from that point. Too, TOO many times I've set a burned down handset to charging only to get a frantic call just a few minutes later... before the handset charged much. Lol.

99's desk docks are single handed friendly. So are Classic's Qi docks. I have yet to try a k1 desk dock that doesn't demand both hands for retrieval... the tightly fitting usb-C just drags the whole dock with it. I've threatened to screw the thing into the desk top... lol. Just HATE having to set coffee mug down just to pick up a phone!!! Haha...

K1 could be SOoo much better with a well implemented tool belt, tho.
    Last edited by idssteve; 12-23-17 at 05:54 AM.
    12-23-17 04:58 AM

Hey everyone, the white Classic arrived today, it still has the shrink wrapping that comes with the new devices, even on the camera lens, I think I was very lucky to get this phone for £50 ($60 usd) especially on eBay where the cheapest is around $200 for a white model. The material of the back is the same as the back door on the white Bold 9900, I think it looks even better than the Black Classic. That being said, I'm going to continue using the 9900 everyday until BIS stops working, but I will have WhatsApp set up on the Classic for when the BlackBerry version no longer works.
    12-23-17 05:15 AM

I'm the exact same in Ireland, however Three ireland doesn't offer BIS anymore, the 2 networks that offer BIS both have it included in all their plans either PAYG or Bill Pay, apparently the network can detect if it needs to provide BIS and it automatically starts up, the 2 networks that do this are Vodafone and Eir (it's like EE) I have wondered how long they will keep the support for BIS but I'm guessing they will keep it until blackberry shuts it down in 2020 unless I have interpreted their announcement wrong and they will continue to provide BIS after 2020?
    12-23-17 05:18 AM
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...698839e201.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...f9a7212af0.jpg

Hey everyone, the white Classic arrived today, it still has the shrink wrapping that comes with the new devices, even on the camera lens, I think I was very lucky to get this phone for £50 ($60 usd) especially on eBay where the cheapest is around $200 for a white model. The material of the back is the same as the back door on the white Bold 9900, I think it looks even better than the Black Classic. That being said, I'm going to continue using the 9900 everyday until BIS stops working, but I will have WhatsApp set up on the Classic for when the BlackBerry version no longer works.
    Cool! White really does look nice. Nice price, too.
    12-23-17 05:28 AM
    I'm the exact same in Ireland, however Three ireland doesn't offer BIS anymore, the 2 networks that offer BIS both have it included in all their plans either PAYG or Bill Pay, apparently the network can detect if it needs to provide BIS and it automatically starts up, the 2 networks that do this are Vodafone and Eir (it's like EE) I have wondered how long they will keep the support for BIS but I'm guessing they will keep it until blackberry shuts it down in 2020 unless I have interpreted their announcement wrong and they will continue to provide BIS after 2020?
    Do I understand that when you get BIS, you're not seeing a detectable charge for it on your bill? Its been that way for some while here in US, also. Maybe I'm too hard core capitalist, but it seems perplexing that they wouldn't increase price on some product that they want to be rid of... ??? If BIS were such a burden for them, why is that burden not reflected in the price? ?? Or maybe it isn't such a burden??? Idk. My old brain just doesn't like disconnected dots. Lol.
    12-23-17 05:36 AM
    Cool! White really does look nice. Nice price, too.
    I love it already, it is a huge difference in comparison to the Q10 i had, if this had been my first BB10 device i don't think i would have returned to the 9900, i love the keyboard on the Classic, i did increase the font size to 12 so the Remember Notes is more similar to the BB7 memopad which is what i needed.
    In Europe it's still really hard to find a cheap Classic in black that isn't totally scratched and battered, getting a pristine, practically new white Classic for $60 is something of a christmas miracle haha. Once it reaches 100% full charge it's going back in the box and getting wrapped until Monday

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    12-23-17 05:59 AM
    Do I understand that when you get BIS, you're not seeing a detectable charge for it on your bill? Its been that way for some while here in US, also. Maybe I'm too hard core capitalist, but it seems perplexing that they wouldn't increase price on some product that they want to be rid of... ??? If BIS were such a burden for them, why is that burden not reflected in the price? ?? Or maybe it isn't such a burden??? Idk. My old brain just doesn't like disconnected dots. Lol.
    Don't worry, it's not just your "old" brain thinking that. When i get my monthly bill it never mentions anything about BIS, just that it has 1GB of data for 30 days and a few calls and text allowances, it is a very cheap plan, only €15 (around 17-18 USD) i have never gone over the 1GB of data, not even close thanks to BIS data compression and wifi access
    What blackberry should have done is ran a poll or sent an email to customers asking if they would rather them shut down BIS or bring back a fee to use it either a $1 fee or $5 fee like in the old blackberry days. I'm quite certain that it would be that current users would want to continue using it, and if it was a burden on blackberry they are basically giving it away free for years now, why would they keep that burden for so long regardless of how many users they have on BBOS devices?

12-23-17 06:04 AM
    I love it already, it is a huge difference in comparison to the Q10 i had, if this had been my first BB10 device i don't think i would have returned to the 9900, i love the keyboard on the Classic, i did increase the font size to 12 so the Remember Notes is more similar to the BB7 memopad which is what i needed.
    In Europe it's still really hard to find a cheap Classic in black that isn't totally scratched and battered, getting a pristine, practically new white Classic for $60 is something of a christmas miracle haha. Once it reaches 100% full charge it's going back in the box and getting wrapped until Monday

Yep, abandoning toolbelt on Q10 stranded far too many legacy users. Imo. If toolbelt Classic with 10.3.3 had ushered in BB10, in 2013, I'd predict most legacy users would have migrated. Possibly enough to jumpstart BB10's app ecosystem?? Who knows... Things might have turned out quite differently. ??? Nvrkno. Lol.

Truly is remarkable that BIS just keeps working after all these years and they feel no need to charge a price for that. Especially VZW who never fails to scheme some way charge extra for EVERYthing. Lol. Just too nad that that existing BIS infrastructure couldn't be rolled in to a security oriented niche product...??? Oh well... Lol.
    12-23-17 06:17 AM
    Yep, abandoning toolbelt on Q10 stranded far too many legacy users. Imo. If toolbelt Classic with 10.3.3 had ushered in BB10, I'd predict most legacy users would have migrated. Possibly enough to jumpstart BB10's app ecosystem?? Who knows... Things might have turned out quite differently. ??? Nvrkno. Lol.
    Truly is remarkable that BIS just keeps working after all these years and they feel no need to charge a price for that. Especially VZW who never fails to scheme some way charge extra for EVERYthing. Lol. Just too nad that that existing BIS infrastructure couldn't be rolled in to a security oriented niche product...??? Oh well... Lol.
    Haha Verizon is just like Vodafone in Ireland, their prices for Data are insane, Vodafone does own some shares in Verizon so their policies must be mutually agreed and influenced. The Classic seems to be a really good phone, i really like it, but i wont be prematurely retiring the 9900 just yet, i'm going to get every single day of usage out of it before it stops working, and it will stop because a 9900 without BIS is basically an electronic notepad haha.

12-23-17 06:22 AM
    Haha Verizon is just like Vodafone in Ireland, their prices for Data are insane, Vodafone does own some shares in Verizon so their policies must be mutually agreed and influenced. The Classic seems to be a really good phone, i really like it, but i wont be prematurely retiring the 9900 just yet, i'm going to get every single day of usage out of it before it stops working, and it will stop because a 9900 without BIS is basically an electronic notepad haha.

Haha... I'll keep mine going as a typing "notepad" and as a pocket calendar... Classic's monthly view can be accidentally tricked into displaying the wrong month... Lol. If that's the calendar the development team used... Sort of explains a few things... Haha.
    12-23-17 06:34 AM
    Haha... I'll keep mine going as a typing "notepad" and as a pocket calendar... Classic's monthly view can be accidentally tricked into displaying the wrong month... Lol. If that's the calendar the development team used... Sort of explains a few things... Haha.
    Exactly, i'll be keeping my white Bold as a notepad because that memopad is unbeatable in any device, nothing is the same on any OS platform and it works so well for me. I'm sure they follow a different dimension calendar haha

12-23-17 06:37 AM
    Do I understand that when you get BIS, you're not seeing a detectable charge for it on your bill?
    I'm on el cheaps PAY AS YOU GO (Three Uk). So data is 1p (or a Euro-cent) per megabyte. No further charges.

What's perplexing about Three's UK handling of BIS is that they still publish the text number to add it on for £5 a month, though it's working for 'free' (I pay for the data). I'm probably Three's longest surviving customer, (since 2007) so I may be on some weird grandfather plan. About once every two years I have to phone them to moan about the local mast being blown down, or being eaten by squirrels, and each time they say 'Oh you've been with us since like forever, have some free credit.'

So my mobile top-up costs are below trivial. About £50 a year or a tank of gas. I've got a VOIP phone on my desk for everything else. I pay £20 a month for uncapped ADSL which powers the VOIP and the internets. Cheap, no?

¬¬¬

The new car is here. Yay! It's got a seven inch sat-nav contraption! Yay! It needs either Mirrorlink (of which I have none) or Apple CarPlay. (nope squared.) It's 'waiting for the Android Auto update from the manufacturer', which is beyond annoying as it's a September 2017 car.

So my £79 Moto Blandroid is of little use other than, as, y'know, a 'phone' . The future will be here one day. But not just yet.
    12-23-17 06:45 AM

When putting the phone back in the box after charging it, I noticed the manufacture date is May 2016, and blackberry announced they were stopping production in July 2016 which means this must be one of the few made before the final production both my Priv and Classic are 2016 manufactured models and I haven't had issues with my Priv, so I'm hoping there won't be issues with the Classic.
    12-23-17 09:11 AM
    Not aiming to pile on Classic but as a heads up... which day, month, year is selected in Classic's Calendar below? (3Feb2018). Lol. Latest update, btw.

Good thing they never enabled the Time Travel check box!!! Little wonder their development team missed launch date!!!
    Heads up! Lol...

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_20171223_091323.png
    12-23-17 09:27 AM
    Not aiming to pile on Classic but as a heads up... which day, month, year is selected in Classic's Calendar below? (3Feb2018). Lol. Latest update, btw.

Good thing they never enabled the Time Travel check box!!! Little wonder their development team missed launch date!!!
    Heads up! Lol...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171223_091323.png 
Views:	59 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	432601
    Oh wow haha, i didn't check the calendar before installing the latest update, it's currently rebooting now it was definitely a 10.3.3.3xxx number.

12-23-17 09:31 AM
8,754 ... 286287288289290 ...