Bite your tongue Steve. They are doing that anyway even without you having to pay for it
    Haha... my tongue's well calloused from a lifetime of biting... lol.

We could just call it "Gransomware"? Lol.

I just don't see how privacy oriented professionals like physicians & attorneys (or even engineers lol) can subject their patient and client data to potential mining... ???
    12-02-17 10:25 AM
    Haha... my tongue's well calloused from a lifetime of biting... lol.

We could just call it "ransomware"? Lol.

I just don't see how privacy oriented professionals like physicians & attorneys (or even engineers lol) can subject their patient and client data to potential mining... ???
    I saw my doctor yesterday, I cannot believe he is still using his iPhone 4 from over half a decade ago and I talked to him before about it and yes he has his banking app on it! (Remember there are no updates for iOS now for anything older than the 5S of 2013)I remember years ago he used what looked like a 9300 and I would sooner trust any Legacy Blackberry over any iOS that is not updatable anymore.

I just don’t think that Blackberry is enough of a target for hackers anymore. So far from what I have read, regarding ransomeware it is Microsoft and Android platforms that seem to be the most common targets. I think it is safer to say now that one attribute for Blackberry is that it is more “off the grid” for hackers to worry about.
    12-02-17 10:31 AM
    I saw my doctor yesterday, I cannot believe he is still using his iPhone 4 from over half a decade ago and I talked to him before about it and yes he has his banking app on it! (Remember there are no updates for iOS now for anything older than the 5S of 2013)I remember years ago he used what looked like a 9300 and I would sooner trust any Legacy Blackberry over any iOS that is not updatable anymore.

I just don’t think that Blackberry is enough of a target for hackers anymore. So far from what I have read, regarding ransomeware it is Microsoft and Android platforms that seem to be the most common targets. I think it is safer to say now that one attribute for Blackberry is that it is more “off the grid” for hackers to worry about.
    Well... safer can be ok. Depending. You'll rarely hear an engineer pronounce ANYthing as "safe". Only "safer"... lol. It's playing the odds... herds provide an ancient survival strategy... you don't have to outrun the charging lion... only the herd member behind you... lol.

I work with folks in parts of the world where government monitoring is accepted reality. Not sure if BIS still effectively "firewalls" that (assuming not) but at least one has requested I not migrate his contact info to my K1... idk. Unsettling times, these days.
    12-02-17 10:51 AM
    Well... safer can be ok. Depending. You'll rarely hear an engineer pronounce ANYthing as "safe". Only "safer"... lol. It's playing the odds... herds provide an ancient survival strategy... you don't have to outrun the charging lion... only the herd member behind you... lol.

I work with folks in parts of the world where government monitoring is accepted reality. Not sure if BIS still effectively "firewalls" that (assuming not) but at least one has requested I not migrate his contact info to my K1... idk. Unsettling times, these days.
    Nothing is 100% all the time, but hackers will try to always exploit operating systems that have more weaknesses or vulnerabilities.

I keep forgetting I live in Canada and I see no end to BIS being available. (Let’s face it, Canada is pretty Americanized) When I hear people in here talking about Verizon or BIS or something not being available anymore I kind of breathe a sigh of relief that I can pop the sim into the 9900 and it is up and running. But for how long who knows. Blackberry was always the most secure IMO and I would still have no problems trusting the security of a 6 year old B.B. over anything Android or Windows. So yeah nothing is 100% but there are more “safer” choices out there than others IMO.

But as for putting a banking app on any device I am still apprehensive, but I feel safer on iOS than the others right now.
    12-02-17 10:58 AM
    Nothing is 100% all the time, but hackers will try to always exploit operating systems that have more weaknesses or vulnerabilities.

I keep forgetting I live in Canada and I see no end to BIS being available. (Let’s face it, Canada is pretty Americanized) When I hear people in here talking about Verizon or BIS or something not being available anymore I kind of breathe a sigh of relief that I can pop the sim into the 9900 and it is up and running. But for how long who knows. Blackberry was always the most secure IMO and I would still have no problems trusting the security of a 6 year old B.B. over anything Android or Windows. So yeah nothing is 100% but there are more “safer” choices out there than others IMO.

But as for putting a banking app on any device I am still apprehensive, but I feel safer on iOS than the others right now.
    Never heard conclusively how/if BIS stood up under "man in the middle" attacks... but I've elected to do financial stuff like banking & ordering on Classic, so far... NOT over motel wifi, tho... lol.
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    12-02-17 11:13 AM
    Never heard conclusively how/if BIS stood up under "man in the middle" attacks... but I've elected to do financial stuff like banking & ordering on Classic, so far... NOT over motel wifi, tho... lol.
    I always thought BIS worked much like a VPN, making sure data was end-to-end encrypted and unable to be “snooped” by third parties.
    12-02-17 11:33 AM
    I always thought BIS worked much like a VPN, making sure data was end-to-end encrypted and unable to be “snooped” by third parties.
    I guess my concern would lie on the other side of the NOC... the Bank end... ??? Idk. Just never heard it addressed specifically for BBOS other than there've been no updates for 4 years.

Also can't recall ever hearing of a single actual compromise on any BBOS anywhere but that's not saying I would have heard. Other than, hard to believe that if someone on 9900 had been compromised, they wouldn't be all over this forum seeking help or rant... ?? Idk

I think the world needs a more effective way of neutralizing hack thieves themselves...
    12-02-17 12:10 PM
    Since I don't have BIS and haven't ever looked into it as a result, I have a question: if you *do* have a BIS subscription, is *all* of your network traffic (including via WiFi) routed through the NOC?
    12-02-17 12:30 PM
    Since I don't have BIS and haven't ever looked into it as a result, I have a question: if you *do* have a BIS subscription, is *all* of your network traffic (including via WiFi) routed through the NOC?
    All Mobile data, BBM traffic, and email go through the NOC.
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    12-02-17 02:10 PM
    @conite Mobile data meaning cellular data, correct? And WiFi goes through regular, non-NOC routing?
    12-02-17 02:44 PM
    @conite Mobile data meaning cellular data, correct? And WiFi goes through regular, non-NOC routing?
    Yes.

Plus email and BBM still go through the NOC even when on WiFi.
    anon(8063781) and idssteve like this.
    12-02-17 02:52 PM
    I am curious to know the worldwide breakdown on where BIS is used still, proportionally. Canada? Nigeria? Indonesia? USA? I'm back on my 9900 now.
    12-02-17 04:36 PM
    Verizon in US still good on 9930. Can't say for sure about 9900 on ATT. Haven't been in ATT signal range for most of this year...
    12-02-17 04:49 PM
    Verizon in US still good on 9930. Can't say for sure about 9900 on ATT. Haven't been in ATT signal range for most of this year...
    Yeah I thought I heard there was one of them that cancelled BIS in the US
    12-02-17 04:50 PM
    Yeah I thought I heard there was one of them that cancelled BIS in the US
    Hmm... on vzw this minute. Att??
    12-02-17 05:07 PM
    I might be wrong but I thought I heard someone saying in here that it doesn’t work on one of the networks down there, Maybe it was one of the big companies budget divisions. Like in Canada we have Rogers that owns Fido, or Like Telus owning Koodo, etc.
    12-02-17 05:08 PM
    I think the “Big 4” (Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint) all still support BIS.
    12-02-17 06:25 PM
    I think the “Big 4” (Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint) all still support BIS.
    Good news!
    12-02-17 08:00 PM
    I normally like including both ATT and VZW as dual carry duo... optimal redundancy while traveling. Most often that's been 9930 VZW and Passport, in recent years. Although ATT 9900 and Z30 VZW has been a fav combo, also. ATT signal is far too weak at this long term project so it's been VZW 9930 & Classic since about March. A great double fisted duo!! Likely till next March. Lol. Exclusive VZW isn't bad but do get where att would be better on occasions. Miss Passport, occasionally. .
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    12-02-17 08:53 PM
    ...They lost nerve and yanked the cord without ever really really finding a bottom. Imo. There's no arguing that they'd lost any chance at marketshare dominance but I have yet to see convincing evidence that they couldn't have preserved a single digit market share in niche markets... had they not so hastily and completely abandoned and abused their faithful legacy users. Moot point, at this point. I just see nothing in that data to guarantee utter annihilation of SAF market. Only reduced market, imo. Fwiw.
    Moot, indeed: We'll never know; however, and for whatever it's worth (nothing), I agree. A niche market is what Chen claimed as a reasonable goal in the beginning, and I agree. The board blinked, though, and that's that.
    idssteve likes this.
    12-02-17 11:18 PM
    I'm still rolling with BIS on AT&T.

Also, BIS was available at Schiphol airport and in Venice a few weeks ago.
    12-02-17 11:23 PM
    In Russia, Megafon has stopped BIS a year ago. That was the last option to get BIS on the market, because 2 other operators from "Big 4" stopped BIS much earlier, and 1 had not BIS at all. Sad.

Posted via CB10
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    12-03-17 01:37 AM
    I am curious to know the worldwide breakdown on where BIS is used still, proportionally. Canada? Nigeria? Indonesia? USA? I'm back on my 9900 now.
    BIS is still available in the UK from several providers: my network giffgaff (and therefore O2), the 3 network, I'm not sure about EE.
    12-03-17 03:37 AM
    I recently activated 9860 on BIS with AT&T right before Hurricane Irma.

It happened automatically when they setup line with IMEI and SIM. The associates don't even know about BB or BIS. They just have to grab older larger SIM and AT&T system does the rest.
    idssteve and rayporsche like this.
    12-03-17 09:25 AM
    True, we are using AT&T BIS as of today on a daily basis here in South Florida USA, they offer it with 'postpaid' plans not 'prepaid plans'. As for Verizon they've always offer it for what we know and T-Mobile stopped sometime last year or even before that, not sure as to when exactly but back then we switched carriers to AT&T and sold each and every T-Mobile device because of that and yes we had a few. If I'm not mistaken those are kind of considered the big 3 in USA, not sure as to who else offers BIS.
    12-03-17 12:04 PM
8,754 ... 279280281282283 ...