Client is toying with a spare 9900 over lunch... he just observed me select and purchase some items using Classic, in right hand, while entering drop ship address from 9930 as provided from his personnel thru sms. Pretty simple but routine "double fisted" productivity. Order confirmation email showed up immediately on my 9930 and I held it up to show him. Client thought BB and went bankrupt years ago... and commented: "...that's a neat little phone!" lol.

Had a deactivated 9900 handy that we're setting up for his personnel for in house data entry... he's toying with one of those. NO one touches my 9930, tho... lol.

Nother day in the life...
    11-28-17 02:27 PM
    The Pre3 is probably the best Palm phone. It has the highest resolution, largest screen, and the fastest processor. On the negative side, many people have reported that the back cover cracks. I have a tiny crack near the USB port on mine, but it's covered by a Skinomi skin, so it's not visible. I seem to recall people mentioning slider related issues too (possibly cable damage).

Whether the Bold 9900 (without BIS) or the Pre3 offers more functionality depends on what you want to do.

Both do email. The Bold can do POP and IMAP with Logicmail (but requires workarounds for many providers), but the Pre3 has EAS support. Certificates can be an issue at times, but see below re: certificate updates.

Both CAN do MMS messaging, but writing the necessary service books for the Bold 9900 without BIS is quite difficult. Setting up the Pre3 is easy. SMS works without problems on both models.

Both have decent notes, tasks, and contacts apps. But the Pre3 has a working Simplenote client, so you can sync your notes through that service. Memotoo will sync the Bold's Memopad notes to simplenote, but it's buggy and doesn't work well in both directions. The Pre3 will also sync your contacts and tasks with Outlook, so that's a bonus.

Both have working and very functional Tapatalk apps (the Pre3 version is called Forums and still has an active maintainer, @Grabber5.0 )

The Pre3 and webOS are easier to work with, app wise. I am not a programmer (although I can hack other people's code a bit), and I fixed the reddit app myself.

The Pre3 gets certificate updates and still has an active community of developers. This is a big win for the webOS side, as developers can patch the system and provide updates that we never get anymore on OS7. There is also an open source app repository (Preware), and a huge collection of over 6000 "freed" apps on an FTP server.

At this point, you might well be wondering where the Bold has the advantage.

1. Cut and Paste. Seriously. It's flawless on the Bold. The webOS implementation of cut and paste is awful. Selecting text is difficult and sometimes, you cannot select the precise text you want. You end up selecting a bigger chunk and editing after the paste.

2. Expandable storage. The Bold has it. The Pre3 does not. My Pre3 is a European model, and came with 8GB, half of which is unavailable owing to OS usage and addressing a database problem that plagues Pre3's. So you're not going to put much in the way of music on it. The unreleased AT&T models had 16GB, but there were none of those available at a reasonable price when I bought mine.

If I was to buy one now, I'd want the American version, for the storage and the 3G bands. Mine only has 1900 mhz (and not 850). It works all through the 200-mile long semi-urban sprawl where I live, but if you go into more remote areas, it helps to have the additional band.

3. Keyboard. The Bold 9900 has a great keyboard. The Pre3's keyboard is smaller. It's good, but smaller, and after all these years, mine double types occasionally. Who knew? Double-typing(tm). It's not just a BlackBerry thing.

I think I've hit all the major points.

Edit: No Whatsapp on webOS. Soon to be no Whatsapp on OS7.

And to add to this, unless you just want to spend a few bucks and play with old tech -- or you're looking to de-grid -- I wouldn't recommend either device at this point, since people always say that they don't need much in the way of apps and services, but then do.

Also, webOS devices seem to be getting curiously more expensive on eBay. BlackBerries are still a dime a dozen.

If you like repairing your own devices, the Bold 9900 is MUCH easier to work on than a Pre.
    Thanks for the pros and cons Well, I just barely ''classify'' as a smartphone user since I really dont use much in terms of apps/games. Most of the day to day usage comes down to calls, sms, email, browsing/forum (tapatalk), music and rarely GPS/maps. Bold 9900 seems like a perfect device for my needs, only if I had the chance to use it fully (BIS). That's why I am still hesitant to buy it, I don't want to dual carry
    11-28-17 03:43 PM
    Out of curiosity, what are the oldest QWERTY phones around which will still work with 3G networks? I know that 2G is a lost cause in USA (a pity, as I keep eyeballing those palm treos on ebay). I'm looking at the Samsung Jack (a 7 year old 3G phone), and I keep mouthwatering at the Nokia e71x. I don't need either phone, but they sure are pretty little things... Anyone use either of these phones? How do they compare to a Bold, or even a Curve?
    11-28-17 03:44 PM
    Never had any double typing with my 9900 but I sure did with the white 9780, but one of the software updates from BlackBerry put an end to that pretty quick. Never had to use the keyboard membrane that I bought off eBay years ago, but I figured at one point I would have to.
    11-28-17 03:49 PM
    Has everyone seen this? I think you will want to.....

11-28-17 04:53 PM
    Never had any double typing with my 9900 but I sure did with the white 9780, but one of the software updates from BlackBerry put an end to that pretty quick. Never had to use the keyboard membrane that I bought off eBay years ago, but I figured at one point I would have to.
    Only DT on 99 I've experienced was a couple yrs ago on a 2014 re-issue. Swapping KB seemed to fix it for a few weeks. Then returned. Interestingly, swapping in the old, previous DT'ing KB also "fixed" it for a few weeks before showing back up. Strange.

I call it doubletype but it really behaved somewhat differently from DT on Q. This thing would input a character almost by magic when the key was simply touched. Before ANY vertical displacement of the key. Almost like a capacitive input.

I'd security wiped it and moved on but one of our "smart guys" seemed to experience an epiphany while playing with it. He was clearing his cubicle preparing to transfer to an office near his home town near Mumbai but asked to take the phone home to play with it. I was out of town the next several days but returned to a working, non-dt, 99. No clue what he did to it and haven't thought to ask him since. But that handset has behaved impeccably since. I've even swapped KB, due to paint wear, but zero signs of the DT malady, to date. I know it wasn't a software fix since it's been wiped and OS'd.

My other "smart guys" indicated that he commented about capacitive coupling and marginal contact... somewhere. ...??? Idk. They think it was some sort of capacitive input. Possibly some phenomenon that BB might have also discovered leading them toward PassPort's capacitive KB...????? Lol.

This fellow favors non-touch bolds & curves and seems concerned about potential nervous system implications of electrically capacitive interaction. If that makes sense. A little eccentric but an absolutely brilliant guy, tho. I'm privileged (and humbled) to work some of the smartest humans. Lol.
    11-29-17 12:24 PM
    Only DT on 99 I've experienced was a couple yrs ago on a 2014 re-issue. Swapping KB seemed to fix it for a few weeks. Then returned. Interestingly, swapping in the old, previous DT'ing KB also "fixed" it for a few weeks before showing back up. Strange.

I call it doubletype but it really behaved somewhat differently from DT on Q. This thing would input a character almost by magic when the key was simply touched. Before ANY vertical displacement of the key. Almost like a capacitive input.

I'd security wiped it and moved on but one of our "smart guys" seemed to experience an epiphany while playing with it. He was clearing his cubicle preparing to transfer to an office near his home town near Mumbai but asked to take the phone home to play with it. I was out of town the next several days but returned to a working, non-dt, 99. No clue what he did to it and haven't thought to ask him since. But that handset has behaved impeccably since. I've even swapped KB, due to paint wear, but zero signs of the DT malady, to date. I know it wasn't a software fix since it's been wiped and OS'd.

My other "smart guys" indicated that he commented about capacitive coupling and marginal contact... somewhere. ...??? Idk. They think it was some sort of capacitive input. Possibly some phenomenon that BB might have also discovered leading them toward PassPort's capacitive KB...????? Lol.

This fellow favors non-touch bolds & curves and seems concerned about potential nervous system implications of electrically capacitive interaction. If that makes sense. A little eccentric but an absolutely brilliant guy, tho. I'm privileged (and humbled) to work some of the smartest humans. Lol.
    Steve, every time I read your posts in here I want to go out and buy another 9900. Every. Time.

The nostalgia force is strong with you. Never stop. I fully expect you to still be using a 9900 in some capacity 5 years from now.

I do have half a mind to get another 9900, though. Or a Q10. I am just fed up with the iOS-Android paradigm.

I yearn for the days when software was engineered to be stand-alone and complete, no continual security and OS updates needed.

I'm tired of the incompetent approach to privacy and security. Apple just got caught with its pants down - they released into production a version of macOS that allowed anyone to just walk up to a Mac and gain root access!! I tried to replicate the exploit on my work MacBook Pro and it was vulnerable. They've released a patch, but how embarrassing for them.

I'm tired of companies trying to shoe-horn me into their ecosystems and compete for my attention just to milk more money and data from me.

I'm sick of the rampant data-mining. I have no delusions that iOS is immune to this phenomenon. Apple's business model doesn't center around mining data for targeted ads, but no doubt most popular iOS apps have embedded trackers that allow third parties to do so.

The conveniences of a modern smartphone are many. GPS navigation is a huge one. Nice cameras for capturing the moment are another. Cloud-synced calendars, notes, etc. The list goes on and on. I'd be giving up a lot going back to a 9900.

But I'm to the point where I'm even seriously considering not carrying ANY phone on my person during the average work day. I have a phone at my desk. I have a computer. People can still reach me if they need me.

I'm just realizing that if the cost of using a modern smartphone is my privacy - and my sanity - that's far too high a price to pay.
    rayporsche and Berry Happy 2 like this.
    11-29-17 02:57 PM
    Steve, every time I read your posts in here I want to go out and buy another 9900. Every. Time.

The nostalgia force is strong with you. Never stop. I fully expect you to still be using a 9900 in some capacity 5 years from now.

I do have half a mind to get another 9900, though. Or a Q10. I am just fed up with the iOS-Android paradigm.

I yearn for the days when software was engineered to be stand-alone and complete, no continual security and OS updates needed.

I'm tired of the incompetent approach to privacy and security. Apple just got caught with its pants down - they released into production a version of macOS that allowed anyone to just walk up to a Mac and gain root access!! I tried to replicate the exploit on my work MacBook Pro and it was vulnerable. They've released a patch, but how embarrassing for them.

I'm tired of companies trying to shoe-horn me into their ecosystems and compete for my attention just to milk more money and data from me.

I'm sick of the rampant data-mining. I have no delusions that iOS is immune to this phenomenon. Apple's business model doesn't center around mining data for targeted ads, but no doubt most popular iOS apps have embedded trackers that allow third parties to do so.

The conveniences of a modern smartphone are many. GPS navigation is a huge one. Nice cameras for capturing the moment are another. Cloud-synced calendars, notes, etc. The list goes on and on. I'd be giving up a lot going back to a 9900.

But I'm to the point where I'm even seriously considering not carrying ANY phone on my person during the average work day. I have a phone at my desk. I have a computer. People can still reach me if they need me.

I'm just realizing that if the cost of using a modern smartphone is my privacy - and my sanity - that's far too high a price to pay.
    Haha... No nostalgia on my part. Just simply what works best for my use case. If that's 9900 five years from now, ...best is best. Age is irrelevant to that. I'm an engineer. Engineers optimize. If/when something better demonstrates more optimal service, on balance, 9900, and/or BB themselves, will get retired in a heartbeat. As it is, each step since 2011 has ventured further, and further, from that optimal balance. Each step has resulted in quantitatively slower typing, as one example. That might be ok if a trade off could be shown to compensate. The trade offs simply haven't adequately compensated. To date. The "larger" 1:1 screen on Q is no compensation for the loss of toolbelt productivity, for example. For my use case, at least. With no indication that reasonably sized, cohesively optimized, handsets will be introduced anytime soon, it's perfectly conceivable that I might still be using a 9900 five years from now. As an unregistered data entry terminal, if nothing else... Lol.

Here's to hoping sanity prevails... SOME day. Lol.
    anon(10321802) and rayporsche like this.
    11-29-17 04:07 PM

I'd security wiped it and moved on but one of our "smart guys" seemed to experience an epiphany while playing with it. He was clearing his cubicle preparing to transfer to an office near his home town near Mumbai but asked to take the phone home to play with it. I was out of town the next several days but returned to a working, non-dt, 99. No clue what he did to it...

My other "smart guys" indicated that he commented about capacitive coupling and marginal contact... somewhere. ...??? Idk.
    As an engineer, I'm sure you'll be interested in what follows:

I used a Q10 for quite a while, and what you're describing sounds like what we called "hypersensitive keys." It turns out that the culprit was displaced keyboard discs.

See this thread: https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...ly-too-954608/

When @ilmizi posted his information and solution, it gave me an idea. So I made a hybrid Q10/Bold 9900 keyboard. It was an interesting experience and a bit of fun. See this post for pics: https://forums.crackberry.com/showth...1#post11238476
    idssteve and rayporsche like this.
    11-29-17 04:21 PM
    I suppose the fundamental issue is that people now expect capability from their devices/services that they can't possibly afford. The infrastructure and development required to give people what they want requires SERIOUS alternative revenue sources.
    11-29-17 05:19 PM
    As an engineer, I'm sure you'll be interested in what follows:

I used a Q10 for quite a while, and what you're describing sounds like what we called "hypersensitive keys." It turns out that the culprit was displaced keyboard discs.

See this thread: https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...ly-too-954608/

When @ilmizi posted his information and solution, it gave me an idea. So I made a hybrid Q10/Bold 9900 keyboard. It was an interesting experience and a bit of fun. See this post for pics: https://forums.crackberry.com/showth...1#post11238476
    Kool! Reminds me of collaboration among Harley enthusiasts... back in "the day". Lol. Identifying issues and solutions and improvements are what enthusiasts do! . AND enthusiasts can be a powerful FREE sales force! Something Willie G at Harley identified and tapped into for spectacularly epic turn around! Enthusiasm BB could/should have tapped into, imo. Instead, BB did everything possible to abuse and alienate their own enthusiasts. Imo.

Harley's pushrod V twin was frequently derided as an unreliable dinosaur from an ancient past, back in the 70s. Japanese inline fours were THE future... I even recall a magazine editor fitting a Honda 750 engine into his Harley! (Roger Hull?). Some advocated that Harley needed an inline four to "compete". "The market" had spoken! They said.

Instead of running from their identity, Willie G owned up to it. Today Harley prospers as a niche of V twin enthusiasts. Still a niche, but no one argues that niche is NOT profitable.

BB seems to be "owning" their PKB niche. Finally. Baby steps. Classic might be considered a "Superglide" of a smartphone. Imo. Far from the KR750 Bold but a morsel to offer some hope for enthusiasts. Might K1 be analogous to "Tour Glide"? Or... ??

Might there be some slim chance TCL might recognize the value of enthusiasm? ??? Not holding my breath but hopeful, just the same... lol

Here's to enthusiasts!
    rayporsche likes this.
    11-29-17 05:47 PM

This is probably the closest post done for the reasons I made this thread in the first place. Or why I felt compelled to buy my dream device that I did not get way back in 2011.

I think it is still worth it to carry some sort of calling device because you never know when there might be an emergency and you do not want to be at the mercy of Bubba the Redneck in the middle of nowhere who demands $200 for a call to get that fan belt to replace your broken one.

It is definitely a trade off between privacy invasion, tolerance to survive in the modern age and the ease of convenience for how we get things done. Combine these 3 aspects, make them work comfortably for you and then you might have some sort of coping strategy and not feel to guilty/concerned about it.

The syncing calendar issue has to be one of the first issues I read about in here. It is the single most important enough issue that I have noticed that either forces people to stay or leave with Blackberry, and I am talking “Legacy” here of course. Is it important for me? No it isn’t. My iPhone is constantly alerting me that it is someone’s prescious PRESCIOUS Birthday and if I do not acknowledge it then I am going straight to HELL, or so it seems. This is something I don’t care about and if they are that important I can write it on my paper calendar so that my brain still has some purpose in life left without technology fully enveloping my entire existence. So yes the conveniences of the modern smartphone are many but we survived thousands of years without them.

If you truly despise security updates as much as you say, then by all means acquire a 9900 like that mint and beautiful one that you had and you likely will never have to worry about updates or security again.
    Last edited by RaybanRJ; 11-29-17 at 08:59 PM.
    rayporsche and Berry Happy 2 like this.
    11-29-17 08:03 PM

Yup there have been many MANY threads and Blackberry discussions I have read in the past back when I was researching how to fix the DT issue in the 9780. Many said software but again many said it was a hardware issue. I was happy I did not have to void my warranty during those last 6 months in 2011 to swap the membrane.

I still don’t think there was a clear definitive conclusion universally for what the cause was because many aspects were so different for people.
    11-29-17 08:57 PM
    Hmm maybe this guy from Ireland commenting on my YouTube vid was Collins City ;p

11-29-17 09:10 PM
    This is probably the closest post done for the reasons I made this thread in the first place. Or why I felt compelled to buy my dream device that I did not get way back in 2011.

I think it is still worth it to carry some sort of calling device because you never know when there might be an emergency and you do not want to be at the mercy of Bubba the Redneck in the middle of nowhere who demands $200 for a call to get that fan belt to replace your broken one.

It is definitely a trade off between privacy invasion, tolerance to survive in the modern age and the ease of convenience for how we get things done. Combine these 3 aspects, make them work comfortably for you and then you might have some sort of coping strategy and not feel to guilty/concerned about it.

The syncing calendar issue has to be one of the first issues I read about in here. It is the single most important enough issue that I have noticed that either forces people to stay or leave with Blackberry, and I am talking “Legacy” here of course. Is it important for me? No it isn’t. My iPhone is constantly alerting me that it is someone’s prescious PRESCIOUS Birthday and if I do not acknowledge it then I am going straight to HELL, or so it seems. This is something I don’t care about and if they are that important I can write it on my paper calendar so that my brain still has some purpose in life left without technology fully enveloping my entire existence. So yes the conveniences of the modern smartphone are many but we survived thousands of years without them.

If you truly despise security updates as much as you say, then by all means acquire a 9900 like that mint and beautiful one that you had and you likely will never have to worry about updates or security again.
    You’re right, in today’s world it’s probably smart to have some device capable of making calls on or near your person at all times.

Maybe it’s just a matter of perspective. If I look at making calls as the most essential feature in a phone (a PHONE that makes CALLS? What sorcery is this?), then I should consider anything beyond that to be a luxury.

From that perspective, the fact that a 9900 has a calendar at all (and a good one, at that) should be appreciated, regardless of whether it can sync wirelessly.

I’m not sure I’m ready to go back to 9900, simply because that would require a carrier change to be able to use BIS. But maybe I could get by without BIS...I don’t use BBM anymore, anyway. And I wouldn’t necessarily need email access.

I’m leaning towards a Q10 because it does have the calendar support I need and even syncs nicely with iCloud email, contacts, and calendars, so I could still maintain the shared calendars I’ve set up with my wife.

Of course, I could just pick up the slack of using a 9900 by keeping my iPhone around as a secondary device or using a laptop.

Lots of possibilities, for sure. All I know is that for my daily driver, I feel should probably go with something more basic.

It’s a cycle with me. I go from wanting the newest, greatest tech to wanting as little and as old of tech as I can reasonably get by with.
    RaybanRJ, rayporsche and idssteve like this.
    11-29-17 09:50 PM
    Prioritization is an essential function of life. Engineers get paid to do it but every person, creature and sub atomic gluon prioritizes. Can't say with certainty that our All Mighty Creator, Who's infinite existence means all things are happening simultaneously (T/infinity = 0, lol) might get by without prioritization... maybe...??? But that question prioritizes above my pay grade... lol. The rest of us pathetic mortals must decide which communications we're expecting for a given finite time period. Lol.

For me, that starts with Calls. Old fashioned, I suppose, but when a client, coworker, management or family member (not necessarily in that priority... lol) needs to communicate with voice, it's usually a real time experience. That's when I need to focus like a laser on the topic. ANY slight distraction might impact the effectiveness of that real time activity.

Of all my devices, 9900 accepts and initiates voice calls while demanding the least possible distraction. Ring tones, vibration pattern, notification led, etc informs me immediately which contact is calling. Without looking! Physical answer key let's me answer the call by feel, without even looking. Advance OS & Led "speaker" function automatically puts caller straight on speaker phone so I'm not forced to place that RF source against my already troubled CPU (brain lol). All accomplished in left hand while readying a note pad and pencil with right hand... or, sometimes a secondary carry handset might substitute the pad/pencil... if it's single handed friendly enough... Classic?

Most of my calls are from someone, somewhere, seeking clarity thru a self generated fog of some sort. I'm comfortably compensated for burning holes thru fog. Lol. Assuming the communications device I'm using hasn't generated a fog of distraction... lol.

My clearest real time thinking is with 99 in hand...
    11-30-17 08:05 AM
    Prioritization is an essential function of life. Engineers get paid to do it but every person, creature and sub atomic gluon prioritizes. Can't say with certainty that our All Mighty Creator, Who's infinite existence means all things are happening simultaneously (T/infinity = 0, lol) might get by without prioritization... maybe...??? But that question prioritizes above my pay grade... lol. The rest of us pathetic mortals must decide which communications we're expecting for a given finite time period. Lol.

For me, that starts with Calls. Old fashioned, I suppose, but when a client, coworker, management or family member (not necessarily in that priority... lol) needs to communicate with voice, it's usually a real time experience. That's when I need to focus like a laser on the topic. ANY slight distraction might impact the effectiveness of that real time activity.

Of all my devices, 9900 accepts and initiates voice calls while demanding the least possible distraction. Ring tones, vibration pattern, notification led, etc informs me immediately which contact is calling. Without looking! Physical answer key let's me answer the call by feel, without even looking. Advance OS & Led "speaker" function automatically puts caller straight on speaker phone so I'm not forced to place that RF source against my already troubled CPU (brain lol). All accomplished in left hand while readying a note pad and pencil with right hand... or, sometimes a secondary carry handset might substitute the pad/pencil... if it's single handed friendly enough... Classic?

Most of my calls are from someone, somewhere, seeking clarity thru a self generated fog of some sort. I'm comfortably compensated for burning holes thru fog. Lol. Assuming the communications device I'm using hasn't generated a fog of distraction... lol.

My clearest real time thinking is with 99 in hand...
    The "fog of distraction" is a very real thing and seems to only be getting worse as phablets continue to gain in popularity.

The rise of augmented reality apps and games isn't helping. For example, a recent study has shown that traffic accidents and even deaths increased due to people playing Pokémon Go.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/...ths-accidents/

People are literally dying from too much distraction.

Also, smartphone addiction is a very real thing and, as another recent study has shown, it can create an imbalance in your brain.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300558945.html

If having less "features" in the phone I use means having more situational awareness and clearer thinking, that seems like a fair tradeoff to me.
    11-30-17 12:45 PM
    11-30-17 02:59 PM
    Get off my lawn.
    anon(8063781) and David Tyler like this.
    11-30-17 03:15 PM
    11-30-17 04:56 PM
    I just found this eBay deal for a New-In-Box Verizon Bold 9930 - $49.99 with free shipping

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...19.m1438.l2649

This is the nice packaging that comes with a swivel holster and microfiber cloth.

If I were still on Verizon I'd snatch one up. I may yet!
    RaybanRJ and mushroom_daddy like this.
    11-30-17 09:39 PM
    I just found this eBay deal for a New-In-Box Verizon Bold 9930 - $49.99 with free shipping

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...19.m1438.l2649

This is the nice packaging that comes with a swivel holster and microfiber cloth.

Almost worth it just to get to unbox it.
    RaybanRJ and anon(10321802) like this.
    11-30-17 10:06 PM
    Almost worth it just to get to unbox it.
    If he does I demand he makes an unboxing video so that we can see it
    anon(10321802) likes this.
    11-30-17 10:08 PM
    [-]
    Buy it and change networks to one that supports BIS.
    You are a Bold Adventurer, stop denying it - just go with it!

-- posted via CB10 on my Q10 --
    12-01-17 02:32 AM
    So, I went to this concert party tonight with friends. All businessfolks, docs, dentists, ALL carrying iphones or the lone Samsung. And I do mean ALL. I even saw Three(!) of the iPhone Xs. As for me, I was sporting a 9300. Not even a Bold, just a lowly Curve. At least my kindle is speedier than on their new phones...

On the other hand, while they were grumbling about poor photos in the dark, I whipped out my lumia 1020 with xenon flash and took great night photos. Old tech CAN top the new tech from time to time...
    12-01-17 03:45 AM
8,754 ... 277278279280281 ...