Frankly I'm not worried about other people's common sense. I only worry about my own common sense.
    Here’s another story from six days ago, 77% Android phones were victims.

I found an interesting article via Newsfusion Cyber Security News - I thought you might like it:http://go.newsfusion.com/security/item/1081044

I’m sorry but you simply do not see this type of prevalence incident on iOS. Anyone that reads the VPN and security websites can easily put those pieces together.
    11-26-17 11:25 AM
    Like most debates on CrackBerry, the problem here is that no one has the hard evidence they need to prove their claims.
    So, so true...

...So, whoever said that there would need to be a general political will to address these problems is correct. You can't do it yourself and it's even difficult to do collectively. But problems don't have to be solved in every jurisdiction at once. Look at how California took on automobile pollution alone. Whether there is likely to be such a political will to do something like that is beyond my competence to say. Political developments are completely unpredictable.
    Perfect.

It's impossible to say with any authority what will happen, but the tide can turn in an in a New York nanosecond.
    11-26-17 11:36 AM
    Re-read those links I posted, they are RECENT from this week.
    That's fair. Nokia has provided some data and it does give us something to work with. However, clicking through to their original report, it provides data on the percentage of all infections, rather than an infection rate. So Android is responsible for 72% of the infections their network malware scanner detected. Unfortunately, they don't tell us what proportion of the devices were running Android. It's possible that Android has a completely proportional infection rate. Since we know that the majority of mobile devices run Android, it could be that 72% of the devices are responsible for 72% of the infections. But that's just speculation. We don't have that data.

I haven't read the last piece you posted. Wife and Xmas shopping take precedence. I'll have a look later cause they're interesting looking articles.
    11-26-17 12:10 PM
    Here’s another story from six days ago, 77% Android phones were victims.

I found an interesting article via Newsfusion Cyber Security News - I thought you might like it:http://go.newsfusion.com/security/item/1081044

I’m sorry but you simply do not see this type of prevalence incident on iOS. Anyone that reads the VPN and security websites can easily put those pieces together.
    Yet I've never personally seen, heard, or known anyone that has been a victim of any of these supposed vulnerabilities.

It's all mostly theoretical alarmist nonsense.

https://wccftech.com/google-android-security-bugs/
    Last edited by conite; 11-26-17 at 01:14 PM.
    11-26-17 12:49 PM
    You guys are so seriously discussing how many android apps have some trackers, and ios apps not. Or visa versa. You're talking about rubbish pieces of software. And you actually don't even think or talk about all your personal data is in hands of only three corporations - Alphabet, Apple and Facebook. Does it matter if some other garbage like tinder or accuweather collects smth about your activities too???

Posted via CB10
    11-26-17 01:08 PM
    You guys are so seriously discussing how many android apps have some trackers, and ios apps not. Or visa versa. You're talking about rubbish pieces of software. And you actually don't even think or talk about all your personal data is in hands of only three corporations - Alphabet, Apple and Facebook. Does it matter if some other garbage like tinder or accuweather collects smth about your activities too???

Posted via CB10
    I think we're discussing infections as well as trackers. The onion of this thread has layers.
    11-26-17 01:35 PM
    I think we're discussing infections as well as trackers. The onion of this thread has layers.
    Infections... that's obviously very important... but actually not. Since people who talking about infections on software side, let corporations collect the very intimate data including fingerprints and face parameters, with the great pleasure calling that "revolutionary technologies". And that is what we all must be anxious about, imo.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by arfeo; 11-27-17 at 02:04 AM.
    11-26-17 02:03 PM
    If this pervasive surveillance and data mining were outlawed, another, viable business model would replace it.

 BlackBerry | CLASSIC
    Consumers would never allow for data mining to be outlawed because people view much of their data as worth trading for. The idea that consumers are so ignorant or uninformed is so 2005. People are smarter than given credit for.

Additionally, expecting government to change a system it benefits from as well, is missing the big picture.
    11-26-17 02:50 PM
    Yet I've never personally seen, heard, or known anyone that has been a victim of any of these supposed vulnerabilities.

It's all mostly theoretical alarmist nonsense.

https://wccftech.com/google-android-security-bugs/
    Is it alarmist when malware and hackers get personal information from businesses/Private and demands money?

Here is the latest Security Affairs news update for the week from 6 hours ago and every one of these situations involved android, not one mention of iOS.

One thing is clear, the software updates cannot keep up with the daily attacks, every day 13,000 new android phones are hacked and information taken involving banking, etc. Logic would dictate if software updates are few and far between, those that offer more security updates will be more secure, and I’m afraid to say that is not android. Also the adoption rate of software updates is much higher with iOS than on android, so which is going to be more secure? Guess?

So the pprevailance is certainly higher among one type of device. There is no disputing it, anything else is pure denial. Deny deny deny all you want and just because someone you know was never affected by it does not mean it isnt out there because there are literally billions of users, but you are more likely to be infected if you have an android. Deny all you want. Anything to make you feel safer and sleep better at night.

I found this interesting article via Newsfusion Cyber Security- I thought you might like it:
    http://go.newsfusion.com/security/item/1084828

David Tyler likes this.
    11-26-17 03:10 PM
    Is it alarmist when malware and hackers get personal information from businesses/Private and demands money?

Here is the latest Security Affairs news update for the week from 6 hours ago and every one of these situations involved android, not one mention of iOS.

One thing is clear, the software updates cannot keep up with the daily attacks, every day 13,000 new android phones are hacked and information taken involving banking, etc. Logic would dictate if software updates are few and far between, those that offer more security updates will be more secure, and I’m afraid to say that is not android. Also the adoption rate of software updates is much higher with iOS than on android, so which is going to be more secure? Guess?

So the pprevailance is certainly higher among one type of device. There is no disputing it, anything else is pure denial. Deny deny deny all you want and just because someone you know was never affected by it does not mean it is out there because they’re literally billions of users, but you are more likely to be infected if you have an android. Deny all you want. Anything to make you feel safer and sleep better at night.

I found this interesting article via Newsfusion Cyber Security- I thought you might like it:
    But you are just falling into the trap of the security "analysts" who have something to gain by making Android out to be unsafe. As it appears on 85% of all devices worldwide, it gets the most "attention".

Almost every major vulnerability reported in the headlines are theoretical, and have actually not impacted anyone in real life.

Again, don't underestimate the power of common sense to keep you safe.
    11-26-17 03:15 PM
    But you are just falling into the trap of the security "analysts" who have something to gain by making Android out to be unsafe. As it appears on 85% of all devices worldwide, it gets the most "attention".

Almost every major vulnerability reported in the headlines are theoretical, and have actually not impacted anyone in real life.

Take my chances with iOS, the proof is in the pudding. Sure is funny how we don’t hear about many malware attacks on iOS devices but it’s all over android devices.

I’ll take Security Affairs opinion based on what is actually happening in the cyber world over yours any day.
    11-26-17 03:25 PM

Where were you when Suzzee was in here talking about how vulnerable Android is, she actually is involved in testing for cyber threats and she laid it out in here.
    11-26-17 03:26 PM
    Where were you when Suzzee was in here talking about how vulnerable Android is, she actually is involved in testing for cyber threats and she laid it out in here.
    Theoretical vulnerability is not to be confused with real life impact.
    11-26-17 03:28 PM
    Theoretical vulnerability is not to be confused with real life impact.
    Nothing is theoretical about it, android is more vulnerable and has been hacked more than iOS.
    11-26-17 03:29 PM
    Nothing is theoretical about it, android is more vulnerable and has been hacked more than iOS.
    Android also have 10x the devices out there to be hacked - half of which are on ancient OS versions. And most people are dumb.

If you pit two intelligent, common sense individuals - one on iOS, and one on Android - against each other, NEITHER will get "hacked".
    11-26-17 03:32 PM
    Android also have 10x the devices out there to be hacked - half of which are on ancient OS versions. ".
    So then which are you more likely to trust? Knowing this, I think the answer is clear.
    David Tyler likes this.
    11-26-17 03:35 PM
    So then which are you more likely to trust? Knowing this, I think the answer is clear.
    Refer to the second part of my post.
    11-26-17 03:36 PM
    Refer to the second part of my post.
    I asked first. Which do you choose?
    11-26-17 03:37 PM

If you pit two intelligent, common sense individuals - one on iOS, and one on Android - against each other, NEITHER will get "hacked".
    Simple, the Android, because as you say, the Android user is likely in an ancient OS and doesn’t bother to update.
    11-26-17 03:39 PM
    I asked first. Which do you choose?
    But I answered my own question. It also comes full circle back to where I started. With common sense, you have very little to worry about.
    11-26-17 03:40 PM
    Simple, the Android, because as you say, the Android user is likely in an ancient OS and doesn’t bother to update.
    A common sense person would not be on an ancient OS, would be updated, and would be doing most of the right things to stay secure. You're now being intentionally silly.
    11-26-17 03:41 PM
    A common sense person would not be on an ancient OS, would be updated, and would be doing most of the right things to stay secure. You're now being intentionally silly.
    I’m as serious as a heart attack.

But HERE is a serious question you can answer for me, WHY is the update adoption rate so low for Android users? You would THINK if the updates are more few and far between that people who say......use banking apps......would want to stay on top of SECURITY.

Also this is why I am always in shock seeing so many people in Twitter complaining about how many iOS updates there are for their devices. This actually must prove that people DO NOT care about security anymore.

http://bgr.com/2017/09/26/ios-11-ado...ercentage/amp/
    11-26-17 03:44 PM
    I’m as serious as a heart attack.

But HERE is a serious question you can answer for me, WHY is the update adoption rate so low for Android users? You would THINK if the updates are more few and far between that people who say......use banking apps......would want to stay on top of SECURITY.

Also this is why I am always in shock seeing so many people in Twitter complaining about how many iOS updates there are for their devices. This actually must prove that people DO NOT care about security anymore.

http://bgr.com/2017/09/26/ios-11-ado...ercentage/amp/
    Not everyone updates because they use many cheap devices that don't provide them, old devices that are no longer supported, or don't know any better.

None of this counters my argument about the "intelligent, common sense user".
    11-26-17 03:57 PM
    With common sense, you have very little to worry about.
    Yes this is true if one is ONLY getting bad updates from say...... not sticking to downloading from the official Google Playstore, but the problem is the keylogger and nasty apps are right in the Google playstore, just like that fake Whatsapp that over 1 million Android users fell for.

So this makes “Common sense” a non issue.
    11-26-17 03:57 PM
    Consumers would never allow for data mining to be outlawed because people view much of their data as worth trading for. The idea that consumers are so ignorant or uninformed is so 2005. People are smarter than given credit for.

Additionally, expecting government to change a system it benefits from as well, is missing the big picture.
    The average person probably has a vague idea that companies like Google and Facebook collect data.

The average person has absolutely no idea how many third party companies with names they've never heard of (and names that seem to change often) collect data from many the apps they use, as well.

The average person also has absolutely no idea what data is collected, exactly how it is collected, how much of it is collected, and how often it is collected.

I've never heard of the companies talked about in this article, nor was I aware of their tracking methods: https://theintercept.com/2017/11/24/...-android-apps/

Also, it is fallacious and dangerous to assume that because something is popular it must be inherently good and safe. One example that comes to mind is that Adolph Hitler rose to power through popular elections.
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    11-26-17 03:59 PM
8,754 ... 273274275276277 ...