I’m not so sure it hasn’t.

Here is the other big article on Google security this week. Even if tracking and location are turned OFF, Google tracks you.

https://go.newsfusion.com//security/item/1082749
    Yup. Just like your carriers do.

Has nothing to do with banking.
    11-26-17 10:06 AM
    Yup. Just like your carriers do.

Has nothing to do with banking.
    This should be a concern to people with android, Android is the most targeted by hackers with malware intentions, that tells you something about the security weaknesses if they pray on it more.

Report Claims Android Is The Most Targeted By Malware
    http://a.mynews.ly/!MD.HUjDh
    11-26-17 10:08 AM
    This should be a concern to people with android, Android is the most targeted by hackers with malware intentions, that tells you something about the security weaknesses if they pray on it more.

Report Claims Android Is The Most Targeted By Malware
    http://a.mynews.ly/!MD.HUjDh
    Sure.

But Windows is the most "targeted" desktop platform. We just deal with it and take precautions.

Just like Windows on your PC, use common sense, stay away from shady websites, obtain apps from credible sources, and keep the system up-to-date.

It also helps to get a BlackBerry-Android device that is resilient to root and has Integrity Detection that monitors odd behaviour.
    11-26-17 10:13 AM
    And at the same time, sales of Android devices continue to climb. That's all I'm saying.
    Alas, I'm sure you're right about the sales. I myself have gone to Android for my main phone after chatting with some friends about how to -- and whether it's possible to -- lock down an Android. It's easier for me, because I'm not much of an app hound.

Consumer electronics customers in the US are a fickle, fickle lot; rather easily distracted by the next shiny object. Maybe, if privacy is again perceived as a hip thing to worry about, there will be room for something besides Android and iOS. I would have gone with iOS myself but for some nifty features on this LG (like a removeable battery) and the new ability to control permissions of Android apps.
    11-26-17 10:14 AM
    Sure.

But Windows is the most "targeted" desktop platform. We just deal with it and take precautions.

Just like Windows on your PC, use common sense, stay away from shady websites, obtain apps from credible sources, and keep the system up-to-date.

It also helps to get a BlackBerry-Android device that is resilient to root and has Integrity Detection that monitors odd behaviour.
    The problem with Android are the FAKE APPS from hackers that LOOK REAL, they can be Key loggers or malware. 17% is a number MILLIONS of people have installed onto their devices. That’s serious enough and I wouldn’t try to shrug that off or sweep it under the carpet. “Common sense” does not protect everyone who trusts the Google Play/App Store.

I’ll stick with the 9900 or ios thanks.
    11-26-17 10:23 AM
    The problem with Android are the FAKE APPS from hackers that LOOK REAL, they can be Key loggers or malware. 17% is a number MILLIONS of people have installed onto their devices. That’s serious enough and I wouldn’t try to shrug that off or sweep it under the carpet. “Common sense” does not protect everyone who trusts the Google Play/App Store.

I’ll stick with the 9900 or ios thanks.
    If you don't think iOS has just as many trackers, you're deluding yourself.
    11-26-17 10:25 AM
    If you don't think iOS has just as many trackers, you're deluding yourself.
    NO, ios is NOT as bad as Android. That’s a given.

I like that ios keeps a tight reign on the App Store because when I install an app I know it is legit. People with Android devices do not have that luxury.
    11-26-17 10:27 AM
    The privacy argument is a luxury for the wealthy.
    That seems to be the prevailing thinking; however, BlackBerry managed to more than eke out a living for quite a few years selling reasonably-priced devices _without_ pilfering and remarketing their customers' data -- so we know privacy doesn't _have to be_ a "luxury for the wealthy."
    11-26-17 10:28 AM
    That seems to be the prevailing thinking; however, BlackBerry managed to more than eke out a living for quite a few years selling reasonably-priced devices _without_ pilfering and remarketing their customers' data -- so we know privacy doesn't _have to be_ a "luxury for the wealthy."
    BB10 was a financial disaster, losing billions of dollars. Devices were sold far, far below cost (when adding hardware and OS development).
    11-26-17 10:30 AM
    NO, ios is NOT as bad as Android. That’s a given.

I like that ios keeps a tight reign on the App Store because when I install an app I know it is legit. People with Android devices do not have that luxury.
    That's not what I said. I said iOS has just as many app trackers.

That said, Google has Play Protect which catches most of the bad stuff in Google Play and elsewhere. Combine that with Integrity Detection, and you're pretty safe.

I have never been infected with a single thing in all my years of using Android devices. Ever.
    11-26-17 10:33 AM
    And here is something you WILL NOT SEE with ios.

When Google has to PURGE fake apps from the Play Store I would call it an issue!

https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news...to-5-9m-times/
    11-26-17 10:34 AM
    That's not what I said. I said iOS has just as many app trackers.

That said, Google has Play Protect which catches most of the bad stuff in Google Play and elsewhere. Combine that with Integrity Detection, and you're pretty safe.

I have never been infected with a single thing in all my years of using Android devices. Ever.
    Ah but millions have been affected, and that is MY point. “Common sense” does not save everyone in these cases.

You have to be able to trust your App Store, otherwise it is like leaving the keys to your car on the hood.
    11-26-17 10:35 AM
    Ah but millions have been affected, and that is MY point. “Common sense” does not save everyone in these cases.

You have to be able to trust your App Store, otherwise it is like leaving the keys to your car on the hood.
    Common sense will have you stick to well-reviewed and well-respected popular apps on Play Store.
    11-26-17 10:37 AM
    BB10 was a financial disaster, losing billions of dollars. Devices were sold far, far below cost (when adding hardware and OS development).
    Yes; but I meant pre-BlackBerry 10.
    11-26-17 10:38 AM
    Yes; but I meant pre-BlackBerry 10.
    Ok, but really that was a whole different world. BBOS was dumped because it couldn't keep up.
    11-26-17 10:41 AM
    Common sense will have you stick to well-reviewed and well-respected popular apps on Play Store.
    Like WhatsApp and Facebook? Because we found out in November 6 that over 1 million people downloaded a Fake Whatsapp app from the Play Store.

11-26-17 10:46 AM
    Like WhatsApp and Facebook? Because we found out in November 6 that over 1 million people downloaded a Fake Whatsapp app from the Play Store.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...2a9563bfca.jpg
    "the developer appears only to have used the bogus app to make money through advertising."

Stuff happens from time to time. The app was called "update to Whatsapp" - again, common sense.
    11-26-17 10:49 AM
    Ok, but really that was a whole different world. BBOS was dumped because it couldn't keep up.
    Sure; no argument there (and I sure don't want to re-tread ground already well-walked regarding the rise and fall of BlackBerry). My only point is that it _is possible_ to sell commodity-priced gadgets and make a profit without also selling your customers.
    11-26-17 10:50 AM
    it _is possible_ to sell commodity-priced gadgets and make a profit without also selling your customers.
    ...in 2009.
    11-26-17 10:54 AM
    "the developer appears only to have used the bogus app to make money through advertising."

Stuff happens from time to time. The app was called "update to Whatsapp" - again, common sense.
    If you think most people have “Common sense” then I think you are gravely mistaken

Again it comes down to being able to trust your App Store.

Over 1 BILLION people globally usea Whatsapp since July this year and the “evil doers” know not to bother ios. With that many people using this app they know to exploit the weakest vulnerability, and that vulnerability so far is Android.

NOTHING to do with “Common sense.” That’s an old and tired excuse to feel secure.

11-26-17 10:54 AM
    ...in 2009.
    Heh heh heh you may have a point.
    11-26-17 11:00 AM
    Like most debates on CrackBerry, the problem here is that no one has the hard evidence they need to prove their claims. If the evidence was available, the debate would end. Is iOS more secure than Android? Who knows. We don't have good statistical data, so all anyone can do is instance.

Can you, if you set up everything correctly, enjoy privacy on any of these systems? Who knows. There's too much closed source code in all of them for an audit, and even if the code was open, we know that bugs can expose you to privacy and security holes of which you're unaware (perhaps for years).

So, whoever said that there would need to be a general political will to address these problems is correct. You can't do it yourself and it's even difficult to do collectively. But problems don't have to be solved in every jurisdiction at once. Look at how California took on automobile pollution alone. Whether there is likely to be such a political will to do something like that is beyond my competence to say. Political developments are completely unpredictable.
    David Tyler likes this.
    11-26-17 11:15 AM
    If you think most people have “Common sense” then I think you are gravely mistaken

Again it comes down to being able to trust your App Store.

Over 1 BILLION people globally usea Whatsapp since July this year and the “evil doers” know not to bother ios. With that many people using this app they know to exploit the weakest vulnerability, and that vulnerability so far is Android.

NOTHING to do with “Common sense.” That’s an old and tired excuse to feel secure.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...32d369ab3f.jpg
    Frankly I'm not worried about other people's common sense. I only worry about my own common sense.
    David Tyler likes this.
    11-26-17 11:15 AM
    Frankly I'm not worried about other people's common sense. I only worry about my own common sense.
    If that was true then you wouldn’t have an Android and put banking apps

Add me on Whatsapp, first you have to DL it, oh wait, you better not, NVM hahahaha
    11-26-17 11:17 AM
    Like most debates on CrackBerry, the problem here is that no one has the hard evidence they need to prove their claims. If the evidence was available, the debate would end. Is iOS more secure than Android? Who knows. We don't have good statistical data, so all anyone can do is instance.

Re-read those links I posted, they are RECENT from this week.

There can be no doubt. When 17% of Google Play apps are fake, Keyloggers, banking apps with more holes than Swiss cheese. The App stores are the most basic necessity for anyone using a device and it has to be able to be trusted. Otherwise you may as well just use your phone as a phone and never install any apps.
    11-26-17 11:20 AM
8,754 ... 272273274275276 ...