You know, my carrier doesn't support BIS, but I might just do that anyway!

As much as a flip phone sounds appealing, trying to text on one can be a nightmare.

 BlackBerry | CLASSIC
    Whose your carrier?
    11-25-17 05:31 PM
    You know, my carrier doesn't support BIS, but I might just do that anyway!

As much as a flip phone sounds appealing, trying to text on one can be a nightmare.

 BlackBerry | CLASSIC
    This is exactly what I thought. I was going to start using my Nokia Fold and Palm z22 combination again, but couldn't stand the idea of texting T9-style. I'm not a big fan of palm graffiti either. So the Bold is back and it's the better choice (with one exception: the Palm calendar's today screen gives you a one-glance schedule and tasks summary that's unrivaled).

You can even sync your PIM with BlackBerry Desktop via bluetooth, as long as you're using a 32-bit version of Outlook. If you have the 64-bit version, CompanionLink ($50) will make the Outlook to BlackBerry Desktop connection and let you sync.
    11-25-17 05:35 PM
    Whose your carrier?
    Ting. It's a Sprint and T-Mobile MVNO, but doesn't support BIS.

 BlackBerry | CLASSIC
    11-25-17 07:02 PM
    Ting. It's a Sprint and T-Mobile MVNO, but doesn't support BIS.

 BlackBerry | CLASSIC
    Sometimes, the backbone carrier will pickup and run the BIS underneath behind the scenes when you drop in the SIM.
    11-25-17 07:08 PM
    9900 and z10 will always be my favourite phones. my bold 9700 and the BBM hype will never be forgotten <3
    11-25-17 07:29 PM
    Sometimes, the backbone carrier will pickup and run the BIS underneath behind the scenes when you drop in the SIM.
    Ting doesn't, unfortunately,

 BlackBerry | CLASSIC
    11-25-17 07:34 PM
    9900 and z10 will always be my favourite phones. my bold 9700 and the BBM hype will never be forgotten <3
    I got suckered into a Samsung back in 2011 -- seduced by the big, bright display -- and got so frustrated (mostly with the vkb, but also no notification LED, no permission control, no replaceable battery, and no desktop manager) after 8 months or so, I picked up a new 9900 and settled in to wait on the BlackBerry 10 devices.

When the Z10 came out, I _loved_ that phone. The OS was incredibly refreshing and smooth after Android, and I loved the vkb.

Android has evolved a lot, and my V20 has a replaceable battery and notifications on an always-on strip screen. There's also handy software now to manage files and permission control (FI-nally), but it's still Android. I'm still using my Bold almost every day. Nothing out there like it.
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    11-25-17 08:50 PM
    I got suckered into a Samsung back in 2011 -- seduced by the big, bright display -- and got so frustrated (mostly with the vkb, but also no notification LED, no permission control, no replaceable battery, and no desktop manager) after 8 months or so, I picked up a new 9900 and settled in to wait on the BlackBerry 10 devices.

When the Z10 came out, I _loved_ that phone. The OS was incredibly refreshing and smooth after Android, and I loved the vkb.

Android has evolved a lot, and my V20 has a replaceable battery and notifications on an always-on strip screen. There's also handy software now to manage files and permission control (FI-nally), but it's still Android. I'm still using my Bold almost every day. Nothing out there like it.
    Yep, time with D60 and K1 has convinced me that android can eventually get something resembling work done... After doing EVERYthing else first... Lol.
    11-25-17 11:19 PM
    Yep, time with D60 and K1 has convinced me that android can eventually get something resembling work done... After doing EVERYthing else first... Lol.
    Is that going to be the next idssteve dual carry combo?!

I'm increasingly tempted by the KEYone but it is just so big compared to my Q10 and 9900

Personally, I don't hate Android, it's just that I regard it is a 'work in progress' -- an OS barely ready for prime time. BlackBerry os7.1 is ( obviously) a much more mature system, optimised for productivity. BB10 took several releases to get anywhere near; now it's good -- just as development is dropped.
    Android development has been less driven by productivity and is more about media consumption, leisure apps. Hopefully, the KEYone and other BlackBerry Mobile devices will begin to drive improvement in enterprise use and productivity apps.
    11-26-17 03:50 AM

I'm increasingly tempted by the KEYone but it is just so big compared to my Q10 and 9900

Personally, I don't hate Android, it's just that I regard it is a 'work in progress' -- an OS barely ready for prime time. BlackBerry os7.1 is ( obviously) a much more mature system, optimised for productivity. BB10 took several releases to get anywhere near; now it's good -- just as development is dropped.
    Android development has been less driven by productivity and is more about media consumption, leisure apps. Hopefully, the KEYone and other BlackBerry Mobile devices will begin to drive improvement in enterprise use and productivity apps.
    Yep, working to fit it in to a right hand option to be traded out with Classic, Passport or D60/Z30 depending on expected need for a given day. 99 gets left hand exclusively.

Right now, my 90% fave dual carry combo is 9930 and Classic. Mostly because two single handed friendly handsets are most compatible with simultaneous double fisted service. A marvelously capable productivity combo that affords simultaneous communications while effectively sequestering most clients' personnel from other "in house" contact groups, among other things. Double fisting also affords marvelously productive document, calendar, contacts, etc viewing/editing in one hand simultaneous to concurrent communications in the other hand. Can't beat total screenestate of double fisted dual carry! Imo.

9930 is with me 100% of the time. Solo, about 10% of that. Classic sees 90% of dual carry service while Passport, D60/Z30, and K1 share remaining 10% of dual carry service. As needed. Lack of ATT out here on a long term project has kept my PP desk bound in recent months, tho.

I'm still experimenting and refining K1 apps, settings, cases, etc in pursuit of standing it up for fulfilling efficient dual carry service. Not there yet. Lol.

Which has led me to triple carry, on a few occasions. Lol. Far too much weight on my belt, tho. Haha... considered employing suspenders for holding up overloaded belt... haha.

K1 shows some promise and I already prefer it over D60... BUT, a LONG way to go to displace my Classic for right hand service. Like the Q, K1 could be SOoo much better with a tool belt, imo.

Of course, 9930 is utterly irreplaceable for exclusive left hand service... lol. Especially while working over meal time... haha....
    Last edited by idssteve; 11-26-17 at 04:57 AM.
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    11-26-17 04:44 AM

After reading things like this, I don't want to use any "mainstream" Android handset:

https://theintercept.com/2017/11/24/...-android-apps/

iOS is probably marginally better because Apple is not in the targeted ad business, but I'm sure they allow apps to do a lot of tracking, too.

It's frustrating, because these platforms and apps can be incredibly useful. I just feel like surrendering my privacy and security is too high a price to pay.

 BlackBerry | CLASSIC
    11-26-17 07:23 AM
    After reading things like this, I don't want to use any "mainstream" Android handset:

iOS is probably marginally better because Apple is not in the targeted ad business, but I'm sure they allow apps to do a lot of tracking, too.

It's frustrating, because these platforms and apps can be incredibly useful. I just feel like surrendering my privacy and security is too high a price to pay.

 BlackBerry | CLASSIC
    Targeted advertising keeps these companies in business. It's the nature of the beast.

If we had to pay full price for each and every app and service we use on our phones, we'd be broke.
    11-26-17 09:06 AM

 BlackBerry | CLASSIC
    "Perhaps the most invasive of the trackers is Fidzup, a France-based mobile performance marketing platform for brick and mortar retailers. The company has stated in its advertising copy that it has developed communication between a sonic emitter and a mobile phone (either iOS or Android) by emitting an inaudible tone to locate a user within a shopping mall or a store. User phones receive the signal and decode it to give away their location. The company further uses geofencing to track users to a so-called 'catchment area,' such as a specific section within a store, where it can serve them targeted ads, possibly for a competing retailer."

Wow. This horrible nonsense makes "Minority Report" seem not so much science fiction as dystopian fact.

After reading the article, I uninstalled Spotify from my V20. I force-stopped it whenever I wasn't using it, but I hardly ever fired it up on my phone, anyway.

Even on Windows, Spotify is a nosy little Parker: Every time you fire it up, it changes your config file so Spotify starts when you boot up.

This is what has happened as a result of pushing the utterly ridiculous idea that everything online should be "free:" Instead of paying money straight-up for goods and services, we're paying with our privacy.
    11-26-17 09:08 AM
    Targeted advertising keeps these companies in business. It's the nature of the beast.

If we had to pay full price for each and every app and service we use on our phones, we'd be broke.
    If this pervasive surveillance and data mining were outlawed, another, viable business model would replace it.

 BlackBerry | CLASSIC
    11-26-17 09:10 AM
    If this pervasive surveillance and data mining were outlawed, another, viable business model would replace it.

 BlackBerry | CLASSIC
    It will never be outlawed - in every jurisdiction in the world no less. That's a pipe dream.
    11-26-17 09:12 AM

 BlackBerry | CLASSIC
    "The company has stated in its advertising copy that it has developed communication between a sonic emitter and a mobile phone (either iOS or Android) by emitting..."

Timing is everything... I have always argued that if BlackBerry had hung in just a little longer, a backlash against the intrusiveness of Android and -- to an admittedly lesser extent -- iOS would make wiggle room for a 3rd OS.

Blackberry devices and operating systems were always dedicated to providing -- for an honest dollar! -- productivity tools, not targeted ads.

The revolution is coming. Slowly; but it's coming.
    11-26-17 09:17 AM
    I have always argued that if BlackBerry had hung in just a little longer, a backlash against the intrusiveness of Android and -- to an admittedly lesser extent -- iOS would make wiggle room for a 3rd OS.
    What backlash? If anything, people are becoming more and more accepting of targeted advertising.
    11-26-17 09:21 AM

 BlackBerry | CLASSIC
    I’ve been saying things like that for a long time about android, and they definitely have more security “holes” than iOS. Lately I’ve been reading about the banking app situation with android and I found this a few days ago.…

Many people complain about constant updates from iOS and how Apple keeps a tight control on the App Store but there are reasons for this they don’t let third-party apps get out of control like Google does. When 17% of Google play apps are malware or a keystroke logger’s people have to think twice about doing any kind of banking on their android device. But in the end no one cares people want convenience.

And I guess I shouldn’t scream too hard about this because guess what I almost did two days ago, for Black Friday deals they had these cheap budget galaxy tablet E tablets on sale and I almost bought one just to have for a kickaround tablet. After doing some research I went back the next day and they were all sold out. But with 8 GB of space there’s not much you could put on it anyway and certainly I would never put my banking app on an android, that’s a given!
    11-26-17 09:52 AM
    The Black Friday deals make anything look seductive!
    11-26-17 09:54 AM
    The Black Friday deals make anything look seductive!
    But that's how you can get excellent Android devices for under $200. They (must) have other sources of revenue.

Most people in the world couldn't afford devices that were $1000 to $2000. That's what it would be if we actually had to pay full value for the services we get.

The privacy argument is a luxury for the wealthy.
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    11-26-17 09:58 AM
    But that's how you can get excellent Android devices for under $200. They (must) have other sources of revenue.

Most people in the world couldn't afford devices that were $1000 to $2000. That's what it would be if we actually had to pay full value for the services we get.

The privacy argument is a luxury for the wealthy.
    True but people will sure think twice when their bank accounts are cleaned out ;-)
    11-26-17 09:59 AM
    True but people will sure think twice when their bank accounts are cleaned out ;-)
    That's just alarmist speak. It's never happened and I doubt it ever will.
    11-26-17 10:01 AM
    What backlash? If anything, people are becoming more and more accepting of targeted advertising.
    I see an increasing number of articles revealing the extent to which The Goog and their ilk are pilfering our information. One would think if "people are becoming more and more accepting of targeted advertising," no one would bother with the investigations and research behind those articles.

-- but, hey; I could certainly be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time I've overestimated the common sense of the general population of the US.

I know you're one of the handful of CrackBerry denizens who seem to feel a strong need to ensure anyone harboring any hopes for a revival of BlackBerry 10 is firmly disabused of that notion; however, that's not what I'm arguing: BlackBerry 10 does indeed appear to be history. Also, I freely admit I'm just opining about what BlackBerry should have done; and my opinion is informed only by my perceptions of the very fickle personal electronics market and BlackBerry's finances back when I was an investor.

Finally, I'm not trying to sell anyone anything or promote something for my own gain. Much like whether or not BlackBerry 10 has a future, it doesn't really matter if I'm wrong.
    11-26-17 10:01 AM
    I see an increasing number of articles revealing the extent to which The Goog and their ilk are pilfering our information.
    And at the same time, sales of Android devices continue to climb. That's all I'm saying.
    11-26-17 10:03 AM
    That's just alarmist speak. It's never happened and I doubt it ever will.
    I’m not so sure it hasn’t.

Here is the other big article on Google security this week. Even if tracking and location are turned OFF, Google tracks you.

https://go.newsfusion.com//security/item/1082749
    11-26-17 10:05 AM
8,754 ... 271272273274275 ...