Still trying to connect the CB app on the 99, having issues there but also I am travelling so it is packed away for a few days. Sim is in the iPhone 7.
    Maybe the CB can't be set up with just wifi and no network connection? i know some things on the Bold don't work with just wifi. Where are you traveling?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-25-17 11:50 AM
    Maybe the CB can't be set up with just wifi and no network connection? i know some things on the Bold don't work with just wifi. Where are you traveling?

Well I created a new account on Tapatalk on the iPhone, but you would think under Wi-Fi it would still let me login with all my username and password if it's the same right?

Hometown
    10-25-17 12:30 PM
    Is it even bigger/heavier than a 9900 with extended battery?
    Both. But more importantly, is weight & volume distribution. 99's extended battery adds thickness and weight to the lower back of an otherwise compact handset. Which is the least obnoxious location for that added, low COG mass addition. In fact, the added ledge assists solid grasp in ways that measurably improve my typing precision and speed. AND, the added weight on the lower back adds that low COG inertial mass in pretty ideal location to resist key press forces into the keyboard induced just opposite.

Key press forces acting on K1's higher COG more easily induce rocking couples due to longer moment arm to COG. Aggravating "wiggle" while typing, despite its weight. K1's weight is in the wrong place to challenge 9900's superbly stabilized weight distribution. IMO. 99's extended battery puts the added weight in just the right place. IMO

Like everything BB has put their name on since Q, K1 is too wide & tall for optimal grasp. It's also too thin for optimally stabilized palm support. IMO. Wide, tall and thin work best for VKB. Where virtually zero force is required for pressing virtual keys. IMO. K1, Classic, etc form factor are optimally sized for VKB slabs but poorly optimized for PKB, imo. Apparently configured by slab phreaks with little experience, or even interest, in optimized PKB. IMO. I, myself, don't believe they'd ever used a 99 long enough to truly appreciate optimal PKB configuration. Imo.
    Last edited by idssteve; 10-26-17 at 02:40 AM.
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    10-25-17 04:23 PM
    Let's see some travel pics from the Bold
    Any ideas on how to attach a photo in Tapatalk..? Going down to upload and selecting "camera," I don't see how to select a photo.

10-26-17 12:28 AM
    Any ideas on how to attach a photo in Tapatalk..? Going down to upload and selecting "camera," I don't see how to select a photo.

You don't use the CB app at all? LOL well unless the Tapatalk is exactly like iOS on the 9900 I'm not sure I can advise
    10-26-17 12:30 AM
    Did that work..?

10-26-17 12:34 AM
    Did that work..?

I don't see it
    10-26-17 12:55 AM
    I'm not using my 9900 today but my recollection is that Tapatalk (v 1.4.7.9) has couple of options for uploading photos; camera, select/attach file etc. I've only used the attach file option, but that usually works OK.
    10-26-17 07:29 AM
    Tapatalk on BlackBerry OS does not allow to attach the photo longer.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-17 07:58 AM
    Tapatalk on BlackBerry OS does not allow to attach the photo longer.
    Well, that explains that..!

10-26-17 08:19 AM
    people we need our own bbm group. since we're super extinct with our devices.
    (still rockin' my 9900)
    10-26-17 01:13 PM
    people we need our own bbm group. since we're super extinct with our devices.
    (still rockin' my 9900)
    There is a "Still Bold" group. Newfangled was the admin, but I am now. PIN message me your PIN, and I'll add you (the same goes for anyone else).

Not a lot going on there, honestly; most of the Bold enthusiast discush goes on in here, which is OK by me.

10-26-17 02:48 PM
    There is a "Still Bold" group. Newfangled was the admin, but I am now.
    Looking at the group roster, Newfangled is still an admin, as is Ralph.

10-26-17 04:09 PM
    2A92771D add me please
    10-26-17 06:33 PM
    Looking at the group roster, Newfangled is still an admin, as is Ralph.

When I used the group it was pretty dead and no one else that I used to know with BBM was still active in there so.....

I did like the news feature in there and browsing the groups.
    10-26-17 07:35 PM
    When I used the group it was pretty dead and no one else that I used to know with BBM was still active in there so.....

I did like the news feature in there and browsing the groups.
    I kept getting kicked off the BBM Bold forum and had to repeatedly apply to get back on. Most likely the result of regular swapping of my SIM card between the 9900 and Q10.
    There is a QR code somewhere in these threads to facilitate joining, but my last request to rejoin the group didn't work.

Sadly BBM is largely redundant in 2017, pretty much everybody I know uses WhatsApp (except me). BlackBerry missed a trick failing to release BBM cross platform before WhatsApp got established. That ship has sailed now

This forum is arguably the best place to raise and discuss any 'Bold matters'
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    10-27-17 02:11 AM
    Photo from 99's native browser... And 99's camera...

My K1 with Seidio belt clip holster. Belt clip assists single handed grasp... Sort of... The supersized thing really NEEDS a Toolbelt !!! Please excuse stretched & scrunched ugly mitt... Lol.

99's Native Browser still uploads photos, fwiw.
    Attached Thumbnails 9900:Resurgence of popularity!-k1-20with-20seidio-20belt-20clip.jpg  
    Last edited by idssteve; 10-27-17 at 02:50 AM.
    10-27-17 02:16 AM
    "Fat Boy" on 99 still makes for best ever comfort, speed, precision, endurance...
    Attached Thumbnails 9900:Resurgence of popularity!-grasp_preview.jpeg  
    10-29-17 09:24 PM
    "Fat Boy" on 99 still makes for best ever comfort, speed, precision, endurance...
    It's true: After i use the "Fat Boy" for awhile, using the JM-1 battery cover -- while supremely elegant and ideal for a suit -- makes me feel a little on the verge of dropping the phone..! That was why I asked if you could use the "Fat Back" cover with the JM-1. I'll do that sometimes -- the JM-1 stays put.

Versatility you"ll never get at what is now 10+ x the going price for a 4G Bold!

10-30-17 07:32 AM
    It's true: After i use the "Fat Boy" for awhile, using the JM-1 battery cover -- while supremely elegant and ideal for a suit -- makes me feel a little on the verge of dropping the phone..! That was why I asked if you could use the "Fat Back" cover with the JM-1. I'll do that sometimes -- the JM-1 stays put.

Versatility you"ll never get at what is now 10+ x the going price for a 4G Bold!

Versatility seems to be a thing of the past. I just tried to solo my k1 this weekend. Ug... "Gonna be a LONG Monday" (from John Prine's song lol) ... catching up with good old 99/Classic combo.

Three weeks just aren't enough familiarization, I guess. Just not smart enough for the "modern" stuff, I guess. Never been accused of being a slow learner, other than here in CB when I complain that each new model SINCE 99 has been less and less productive each step of the way. For me, anyway. Professional productivity has become "old fashioned", it seems.

That's fine with me, tho, so long as my competitors never discover 99's superb contribution to my crew's productivity.
    10-30-17 10:19 AM
    Well this is interesting, I thought the opposite would've been in effect for these specific age groups

Young people are losing interest in smartphones but pensioners are using them more than ever
    http://a.mynews.ly/!MD.HKJHd
    10-31-17 12:52 AM
    I see the old hands are still active in this corner of the CrackBerry Asylum. Viz the link above, I think one reason the Seniors are buying smartphones are that there isn't much choice otherwise, though there are a couple of 'senior' flip phones in the UK. The old BB7 phones are still selling on Amazon here.

I picked up a used Curve 9320 last week, (the Bold's cheaper plastic cousin) - they are good for use where you don't want to be leaving a €500 glass iBrick in the car. It came from Ebay UK, but has a French AZERTY keyboard.

The phone had been wiped but there was a 2GB micro-SD card still in the slot. It carried a lot of signed legal council documents in PDF and voice notes (in French) and the phone was obviously used at a French Council office just outside Paris. Naturally, I wiped the card and shredded it. If Yvette Dubois (not her real name) ever reads this: your data is now wiped.

It worries me that there are still used phones around carrying private data. Clearly the reseller and the original owner had missed the SD card before passing the phone on.

Anyway, the Curve is now installed in my car as a hands-free BlueTooth phone, the classic 'square clock' looks great on the dashboard and the AZERTY keyboard has a certain Gallic charm. A Bold would have been nicer, but the Curve was €14.95.

Stay Bold, y'all.

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-curve.jpg
    anon(10321802) likes this.
    10-31-17 01:33 PM
    I see the old hands are still active in this corner of the CrackBerry Asylum. Viz the link above, I think one reason the Seniors are buying smartphones are that there isn't much choice otherwise, though there are a couple of 'senior' flip phones in the UK. The old BB7 phones are still selling on Amazon here.

I picked up a used Curve 9320 last week, (the Bold's cheaper plastic cousin) - they are good for use where you don't want to be leaving a €500 glass iBrick in the car. It came from Ebay UK, but has a French AZERTY keyboard.

The phone had been wiped but there was a 2GB micro-SD card still in the slot. It carried a lot of signed legal council documents in PDF and voice notes (in French) and the phone was obviously used at a French Council office just outside Paris. Naturally, I wiped the card and shredded it. If Yvette Dubois (not her real name) ever reads this: your data is now wiped.

It worries me that there are still used phones around carrying private data. Clearly the reseller and the original owner had missed the SD card before passing the phone on.

Anyway, the Curve is now installed in my car as a hands-free BlueTooth phone, the classic 'square clock' looks great on the dashboard and the AZERTY keyboard has a certain Gallic charm. A Bold would have been nicer, but the Curve was €14.95.

Stay Bold, y'all.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	curve.jpg 
Views:	400 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	431015
    That was always one of my fears when selling one of my phone's over the years, that i wouldn't wipe it fully or something would remain. How have you found the AZERTY keyboard? i have a white Bold with an arabic keyboard, i love it haha.

10-31-17 01:55 PM
    Photo from 99's native browser... And 99's camera...

My K1 with Seidio belt clip holster. Belt clip assists
    10-31-17 04:05 PM
    That was always one of my fears when selling one of my phone's over the years, that i wouldn't wipe it fully or something would remain. How have you found the AZERTY keyboard? i have a white Bold with an arabic keyboard, i love it haha.
    I like AZERTY, though the Z position throws me. We have quite a lot of Yoorop equipment in the house, my ThinkPad has a Swedish keyboard.

I think the French must feel the same about Brit keyboards: 'Why is QZ in the wrong place?'

Wiping phones: The SD card is tucked in a slot at the top of the chassis on the Curve, it's almost invisible. No encryption enabled, either., which is surprising. It's encrypted now. :-)
    11-01-17 12:41 AM
8,754 ... 265266267268269 ...