I still blame Heins, I don't think he had any vision for the company once he took over, and what did he do really?

The article is a European perspective (I believe) and I think there MIGHT be a slightly differing perspective between Europe, the US and Canada. When I read the article I noticed the positives, the accomplishments. I think that many in Canada who loved Blackberry lost a sense of pride with the troubles at Blackberry. Many of us remember the Nortel fiasco and that was another tech giant that fell further hurting the economy, etc. I see Blackberry as both a victim and to blame for what happened, by stagnating the tech because for years they sat on the top as kings and always thought they would be on top. (This is the Sociologist in me trying to consider different perspectives, different countries, etc)That's not to say they didn't try to innovate but let's face it, they weren't the only company to fall after the iPhone came around. My impression is that Samsung started copying everything that Apple did and they did well. But now I see Samsung and Apple copying each other's features. Remember when Samsung copied BlackBerries and they had a few PKB devices as well. So I lack respect for Samsung.

Can you sum up and describe the "Storm fiasco" in the US?
    Well... to summarize (briefly? Me?? lol) Verizon had been a VERY big customer of RIM's. ATT had exclusive on iPhone and Verizon wanted an "iPhone killer"... RIM threw one together and... to call it "half baked" is charitable. It could be argued that batter wasn't even mixed! LOL. I had one for less than a week... don't get me started... lol. Head's really needed to roll (ML?) for EVER letting that thing get into consumer hands in the shape it was. IMO. Storm2, was a great improvement, i've always heard, fwiw.

They set sales records, tho. They also set return records. Verizon got stuck with a LOT of the expense for those returns. RIM was, obviously, legally and civilly ok with doing that, AFAIK. BUT, ANY business' reputation with their biggest customer couldn't help but be forever damaged. According to "Losing the Signal" (dont have a copy handy) Verizon gave RIM a chance to make them "whole" over the deal. RIM didn't. Soon after, VZW was jumping in with Droid... Right or wrong, that's my recollection of it, anyway.

On a personal level, i noticed a sharp change in attitude in VZW stores after that. Travelling about the country, i visited several VZW stores whose sales staff uttered the well practiced mantra, almost verbatim: "Blackberry is going out of business... droid is the future!" Talking with sales staff a while inevitably revealed pretty hard feelings over the Storm. Nothing you'd ever nail down that BB lawyers could act on, AFAIK, but effective, IMO. That's just one example of several things RIM soured VZW over. And VZW was positioned to make or break ANY phone builder... and they did, imo. I wont say BB "deserved" it but they certainly "earned" it... lol.

I can guarantee that ANY officer responsible for letting a product release that way and THEN treating our biggest client that way would have great trouble on their hands from MY board... lol.

IDK that i disagree with anything in the article... it seems pretty well written and accurate in what was presented, AFAIK. The whole story would fill volumes and any writer (even myself lol) must draw a line somewhere. I've long had heartburn with blaming BB's products themselves for being "old tech" compared with Apple's, tho. Those products were focused on different priorities but standing back and looking at the hardware involved, both 99 and iPhone of the same year featured capacitive touch. The biggest hardware feature difference might be characterized by what Apple did NOT include. I'd consider that an advancement if i could actually get MORE of things like typing done per day with iPhone. I can not find ANYthing that matches daily productivity and availability of 9900's hardware. Which means that i, personally, view iPhone as a DIFFERENT technology that likely better fits consumer use case better. But it is not automatically "better", for me, until it proves it's better, for me... only MY hand can prove that for ME... hasn't yet... lol
    10-20-17 01:00 PM
    I still blame Heins, I don't think he had any vision for the company once he took over, and what did he do really?
    I share similar thought about Heins. My belief is that it's OK and good to have a sale & marketing guy steering the designing department, but putting a director in charge of design into managing sale and the whole company would not work. Perhaps I am influenced by what's been happening at work, where the product design team has been forcing us to use their product presentations which we find them garbage and have no connection with our customers.

Posted via CB10
    idssteve and RaybanRJ like this.
    10-20-17 01:02 PM
    That's a problem EVERYwhere... AND an opportunity for an astute competitor... LOL BTDT... lol

IDK how far to blame Heins... things were pretty wrecked by the time he took command of the life boat... of course drilling holes in the hull thinking you're letting the water OUT of the life boat only sinks it quicker... lol Once again, again, they let a "Barely Baked" product get to consumer hands in original Z/Q. It's my understanding (Losing the Signal?) that ML had pretty tough heartburn over letting Z lead the way. BUT, BB10.0 itself might have had a chance at hitting the ground running had ML let QNX and BBOS guys collaborate a little more to include more of BB's hard won experience... But ML was seeking a "clean start" for BB10, afaik, so... plenty of blame to go around.
    10-20-17 01:29 PM
    Well, 99/Classic mute buttons do do mute. Changing profile is probably possible with mute button, at least with a third party app.
    Lmao. I always forget about the mute button. For some reason, I can only ever conceive of it as the play/pause button, which is the way I've always used it.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-17 01:38 PM
    Well... to summarize (briefly? Me?? lol) Verizon had been a VERY big customer of RIM's. ATT had exclusive on iPhone and Verizon wanted an "iPhone killer"... RIM threw one together and... to call it "half baked" is charitable. It could be argued that batter wasn't even mixed! LOL. I had one for less than a week... don't get me started... lol. Head's really needed to roll (ML?) for EVER letting that thing get into consumer hands in the shape it was. IMO. Storm2, was a great improvement, i've always heard, fwiw.

They set sales records, tho. They also set return records. Verizon got stuck with a LOT of the expense for those returns. RIM was, obviously, legally and civilly ok with doing that, AFAIK. BUT, ANY business' reputation with their biggest customer couldn't help but be forever damaged. According to "Losing the Signal" (dont have a copy handy) Verizon gave RIM a chance to make them "whole" over the deal. RIM didn't. Soon after, VZW was jumping in with Droid... Right or wrong, that's my recollection of it, anyway.

On a personal level, i noticed a sharp change in attitude in VZW stores after that. Travelling about the country, i visited several VZW stores whose sales staff uttered the well practiced mantra, almost verbatim: "Blackberry is going out of business... droid is the future!" Talking with sales staff a while inevitably revealed pretty hard feelings over the Storm. Nothing you'd ever nail down that BB lawyers could act on, AFAIK, but effective, IMO. That's just one example of several things RIM soured VZW over. And VZW was positioned to make or break ANY phone builder... and they did, imo. I wont say BB "deserved" it but they certainly "earned" it... lol.

I can guarantee that ANY officer responsible for letting a product release that way and THEN treating our biggest client that way would have great trouble on their hands from MY board... lol.

IDK that i disagree with anything in the article... it seems pretty well written and accurate in what was presented, AFAIK. The whole story would fill volumes and any writer (even myself lol) must draw a line somewhere. I've long had heartburn with blaming BB's products themselves for being "old tech" compared with Apple's, tho. Those products were focused on different priorities but standing back and looking at the hardware involved, both 99 and iPhone of the same year featured capacitive touch. The biggest hardware feature difference might be characterized by what Apple did NOT include. I'd consider that an advancement if i could actually get MORE of things like typing done per day with iPhone. I can not find ANYthing that matches daily productivity and availability of 9900's hardware. Which means that i, personally, view iPhone as a DIFFERENT technology that likely better fits consumer use case better. But it is not automatically "better", for me, until it proves it's better, for me... only MY hand can prove that for ME... hasn't yet... lol
    This completely reminds me right now of all the problems with iOS 11, it was only half baked also an Apple is losing a lot of customers and the share price went down 3% I just read an article a few days ago that people are buying the iPhone 7 more than the iPhone eight because the iPhone eight isn't significantly more innovative than the seven other than the wireless charging and a faster processor. They are starting to stagnate, people are getting bored and people will move on to other things. As an example, the 7 is selling better right now also because of the huge price discounts.

I think the positive from the article is that the writer is amazed they are still even in business because it doesn't die. But many users in here know well that people consider the introduction of Alcatel to be the official death of the original genuine blackberries.

Trying to login to the CB app on my 9900 and now I'm getting this message....

10-20-17 01:45 PM
    That's a problem EVERYwhere... AND an opportunity for an astute competitor... LOL BTDT... lol

IDK how far to blame Heins... things were pretty wrecked by the time he took command of the life boat... of course drilling holes in the hull thinking you're letting the water OUT of the life boat only sinks it quicker... lol Once again, again, they let a "Barely Baked" product get to consumer hands in original Z/Q. It's my understanding (Losing the Signal?) that ML had pretty tough heartburn over letting Z lead the way. BUT, BB10.0 itself might have had a chance at hitting the ground running had ML let QNX and BBOS guys collaborate a little more to include more of BB's hard won experience... But ML was seeking a "clean start" for BB10, afaik, so... plenty of blame to go around.
    Well if Heins left an even BIGGER mess than when he started (my impression) then Chen obviously did a lot more to benefit the company. But yes of course it was in bad shape even by 2011.
    10-20-17 01:48 PM
    On a personal level, i noticed a sharp change in attitude in VZW stores after that. Travelling about the country, i visited several VZW stores whose sales staff uttered the well practiced mantra, almost verbatim: "Blackberry is going out of business... droid is the future!" Talking with sales staff a while inevitably revealed pretty hard feelings over the Storm.
    I suspect that the whole Storm debacle produced three levels of angry:

1. Customers, who got a brutally bad device AND couldn't get the iPhone they really wanted through their carrier.

2. Sales staff, who lost commissions or sales quota (or both) on those returns, and likely were primed to prevent BlackBerry from ever doing that to them again.

3. Companies, like VZW, who took the public black eye and the losses.

BTW, I own a Storm2. It's not a bad little device, and you can see that the click-screen (SurePress) feature was much improved over the original, but it's still a very small screen and the keyboard is difficult to work with -- even more so than an iPhone 3G or 3GS -- which I never liked either.

Posted via CB10
    idssteve likes this.
    10-20-17 01:49 PM
    Trying to login to the CB app on my 9900 and now I'm getting this message....
    Are the time and date set correctly on the device?

Posted via CB10
    10-20-17 01:51 PM

Posted via CB10
    Ah good point, I'll try to knock it back a bit.
    10-20-17 01:52 PM

Posted via CB10
    I am also wondering if because I created the new account on Tapatalk, that it might not recognize it on the CB app
    10-20-17 01:53 PM

Posted via CB10
    OK I got past the certificate date issue now but it still won't recognize my CB app.

I'll figure it out eventually.
    10-20-17 01:57 PM
    OK I got past the certificate date issue now but it still won't recognize my CB app.

I'll figure it out eventually.
    I haven't used the CB app for years. Tapatalk still works though, and it's really the same app. If you try it, you have to add the forum with the entire URL: forums.crackberry.com

Posted via CB10
    10-20-17 05:26 PM
    For one-handed use, who prefers left hand vs. right? I do better using left hand on the 9900.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900!
    10-20-17 09:20 PM
    I haven't used the CB app for years. Tapatalk still works though, and it's really the same app. If you try it, you have to add the forum with the entire URL: forums.crackberry.com

Posted via CB10
    Well I found the tapatalk website, can't log in to do any searches, so not sure where you mean to enter forums.crackberry.com
    10-20-17 09:30 PM
    Well I found the tapatalk website, can't log in to do any searches, so not sure where you mean to enter forums.crackberry.comhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...363052f635.jpg
    I mean the Tapatalk app. It's in BlackBerry World.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-17 09:47 PM

Posted via CB10
    I did look a few days ago and could not find a tapatalk app but will look again
    10-20-17 09:50 PM

Posted via CB10
    Meh
    10-20-17 09:53 PM
    Meh
    Try this: http://www.blackberryrc.com/plus/dow...aid=8225&cid=3

You'll have to try both links. Edit: it's the second one, which says OTA download.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-17 09:58 PM
    Try this: http://www.blackberryrc.com/plus/dow...aid=8225&cid=3

You'll have to try both links. Edit: it's the second one, which says OTA download.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks, and guess what I found in my bookmarks!!!.....

Installing now
    10-20-17 10:05 PM
    Did it work?

Posted via CB10
    10-20-17 11:02 PM
    For one-handed use, who prefers left hand vs. right? I do better using left hand on the 9900.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900!
    I'm right handed but prefer 99 in left. In fact, I've gone entire days without ever touching 99 with right hand. Most in my crew favor 99 in left hand. Not sure if there's something deeper going on but being right handed I simply prefer to not tie up that hand during all of the hours per day 99 is in hand. The big idea of single handing is to free up the other hand for life's activities. Like writing notes, operating silverware, working a desktop mouse, sipping coffee... lol. No need for strength of right hand to handle & use 99.

My secondary carry typically gets right hand because they tend to be my larger, heavier and least used handsets. If that makes sense.
    10-21-17 12:36 AM
    Did it work?

Posted via CB10
    No, I'm a little miffed, every time I put the cursor over "Download" some spam site popped up and it would start downloading that. I can't actually use the 9900 in here to click the link you sent because I'm getting a lot of certificate pop ups also. So I tried the same link (same version?) that I had saved in my bookmarks last year.

I did see some pop up having something to do with the account being created with tapatalk and not through the Crackberry site, so there must be something to that, but I'm not giving up. Only saw that pop up for about a second and a half then it disappeared......might be because I was hitting buttons
    10-21-17 12:43 AM
    No, I'm a little miffed, every time I put the cursor over "Download" some spam site popped up and it would start downloading that. I can't actually use the 9900 in here to click the link you sent because I'm getting a lot of certificate pop ups also. So I tried the same link (same version?) that I had saved in my bookmarks last year.

I did see some pop up having something to do with the account being created with tapatalk and not through the Crackberry site, so there must be something to that, but I'm not giving up. Only saw that pop up for about a second and a half then it disappeared......might be because I was hitting buttons
    Hmmm. The "2. OTA download" link works for me. I have to continue through the certificate popups first though.
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    10-21-17 01:02 AM
    If this continues to be a problem – I do have an archived version of the Tapatalk app v1.4.7.9 (jad and cod files) that I'm happy to share; if you pm me I'll provide a folder share link. I can't remember whether it's a complex install but I'm sure that Shuswap can advise.
    In my experience the Tapatalk app has been very stable (more so than the CB forum app) on my 9000, but as they say 'your mileage may vary'. I do recall that both the CB and Tapatalk forum apps were clunky before I upgraded to to OS 7.1.0.1098, and both were equally capable of locking the handset forcing a 'battery pull'.
    10-21-17 06:11 AM
    I'm right-handed, and I prefer to one-hand the Bold with the right.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    idssteve likes this.
    10-21-17 07:44 AM
8,754 ... 263264265266267 ...