What about 'k' for bookmarks? No other OS uses it. Even BB10 doesn't use it. I guess that's because it's so obviously intuitive /s.

It's hard-wired into my brain in any case.

Posted via CB10
    idssteve likes this.
    10-18-17 06:31 PM
    Yeah, obviously "i" & "o" zoom are my faves. Even more so as eyes age. Lol. T & B are great. Also spacebar scroll works nicely when riding a bumpy bus. "n" for next and "p" for previous are great for browsing photos. Of course there's "r" for reload browser page. "y" for browsing history. "H" for home page. "W" for tabs.... etc.

Don't forget speed dial, also... long press dials assigned #. I set "p" to my most frequently called # and find it easiest by feel. "5" (D) is also easily found by feel.

Mobile communications technology has become integrated into our culture and lives and livelihoods. It's something most of us will spend a big part of our lives doing. Just as well learn to do it efficiently, imo. No better place to optimize communications efficiency than our 9900s, imo.
    Ah ya correct, I do use space bar scroll and speed dial was the best on the 99
    10-18-17 07:18 PM
    Ralph...Welcome Back!
    *thumbs up*
    10-18-17 07:18 PM
    Well they might have found me but I'm "not all there"

Man the only shortcuts I think I ever use on the 99 is T for too and B for Bottom when page scrolling. There is an entire world I am missing.
    I was about to complain but you remembered some more shortcuts in your later post.
    Welcome back Ralph.

Posted via CB10
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    10-18-17 08:47 PM
    I was about to complain but you remembered some more shortcuts in your later post.
    Welcome back Ralph.

Posted via CB10
    Haha.
    10-18-17 09:13 PM
    Really not sure how I was able to recover my other profile.

EDIT: this one looks new but no idea what happened, will log out on this one
    10-18-17 10:01 PM
    Still not able to log either of them into my CB app on the 99
    10-18-17 10:02 PM
    Really not sure how I was able to recover my other profile.

EDIT: this one looks new but no idea what happened, will log out on this one
    WEIRD.

The nice thing is this profile has you as a CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses or something.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    10-18-17 11:51 PM
    WEIRD.

The nice thing is this profile has you as a CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses or something.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    If it does I don't see it. My only explanation is I must've made an old extra profile with my name but when I couldn't login on the 9900 app I tried different emails to make sure I was using the right one and this just popped up.

Sukz that I can't get it working on the 99 app tho but I'll be testing more in here, so if you see weird shiz just ignore it
    10-18-17 11:57 PM
    Welcome back, Ralph! Be careful with those two accounts, huh? The last thing we need is you arguing with yourself....

Posted via CB10
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    10-19-17 01:05 AM
    Quite the shame watching their self destruction inflicted with such systematic proficiency over these years. It's as if their every
    chromosome is dedicated to the proposition that they'll achieve Apple-droid success if they can achieve adequate amateurism. Lol.

I'm doing my best to wrap my mind (and HAND lol) around my new K1. Started to post this on it but wanted to finish this late breakfast so... back on "Ol' lefty" 99. Lol. Omelet was getting cold occupying fork hand with that two handed K. K1 is NOT single handed friendly, imo. Do people designing these things ever USE them? Idk.

I DO know BB set a professional grade standard with 99 that, 6 yrs later, has yet to be challenged, much less surpassed. It's not for lack of technology. I'm convinced it's a conscious choice. To what motive? Mass insanity?? Lol. Idk. Ya know what they say when you start thinking everyone else is nuts... lol.

All I know is, i'd have to be nuts to convince myself I'm getting half as much of what I need to accomplish with this K as I get done with 99. The shame is that they've had 6 years to improve on their PROVEN success. They've shown no interest in even matching it. Imo.

Fortunately, 99 can still function as a typing terminal so... the adolescent "size envy" thing can manifest as secondary phablets. A reasonable, if not preferred, "two handed and a table top" solution.
    Just saw one in a small cellphone case shop, they wanted $125.00 and 200 for a new Q10. Q was nice, wish it had the track pad and quick launch button.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-17 01:40 AM
    Just saw one in a small cellphone case shop, they wanted $125.00 and 200 for a new Q10. Q was nice, wish it had the track pad and quick launch button.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, if Q would have launched with toolbelt and 10.3.3, i'd be using one, or an upgraded version, to this day. 99 would be a fond but distant memory, by now. AND I believe a flood of legacy migration might have contributed enough critical mass to jump start BB10's app ecosystem... maybe??? We'll never know.

Given the time it took to code Classic's toolbelt into BB10, I remain convinced toolbelt was omitted from Q to facilitate launch date considerations. Compromising hardware configuration just to accommodate software weakness is poor practice, imo. But then, I'm pretty old school... lol.

Like several have mentioned, great as BB10 was, RIM might be in better position today if they'd just ported OS7 GUI into a droid 9900 and skipped BB10 altogether... ??? Just a shame most of the world will never know what the little 99 might have added to their daily productivity. Imo.
    10-19-17 02:13 AM
    Yeah, if Q would have launched with toolbelt and 10.3.3, i'd be using one, or an upgraded version, to this day. 99 would be a fond but distant memory, by now. AND I believe a flood of legacy migration might have contributed enough critical mass to jump start BB10's app ecosystem... maybe??? We'll never know.

Given the time it took to code Classic's toolbelt into BB10, I remain convinced toolbelt was omitted from Q to facilitate launch date considerations. Compromising hardware configuration just to accommodate software weakness is poor practice, imo. But then, I'm pretty old school... lol.

Like several have mentioned, great as BB10 was, RIM might be in better position today if they'd just ported OS7 GUI into a droid 9900 and skipped BB10 altogether... ??? Just a shame most of the world will never know what the little 99 might have added to their daily productivity. Imo.
    I think the porsche first model uses OS7. Too expensive as ive seen them go for a couple grand. Whatever happened with the hybrid OS's I cant find anything on them. I remember I had bookmarked a page with all the old version of the BB apps from around bbos5 and up. I cant for the life of me remember how I got into the device tests, like bbve but much less gui. BBM was not working for awhile even on WiFi because of some network bs and thats where I ended up haha.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-17 02:20 AM
    Welcome back, Ralph! Be careful with those two accounts, huh? The last thing we need is you arguing with yourself....

Posted via CB10
    Happens all the time, but the thing to know is, whoever wins, I am still right ^_^
    10-19-17 02:45 AM

Posted via CB10
    That's pretty steep. 99's go for $60 now on eBay that I saw, not sure about the Q10 but I doubt it is much more if any.
    10-19-17 02:47 AM
    It was! Online prices are better yea. I didnt haggle him I was not really interested in buying it but I had not held or tried the Q10 so was still nice to check it out I wiuld almost xonsider getting one. This Z10 I have had for 2 years I bought for 40 bucks, so not a xhance I would pay that. Maybe with original packaging, headphones, otterbox and a bj.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-17 02:55 AM
    I think the porsche first model uses OS7. Too expensive as ive seen them go for a couple grand. Whatever happened with the hybrid OS's I cant find anything on them. I remember I had bookmarked a page with all the old version of the BB apps from around bbos5 and up. I cant for the life of me remember how I got into the device tests, like bbve but much less gui. BBM was not working for awhile even on WiFi because of some network bs and thats where I ended up haha.

Posted via CB10
    Yep, original Porsche P9981 was based on 9900. They went for $2k. Goes to show the flagship status 9900 commanded. I used a borrowed 9981 for a few hrs once. Decided good old 9900 was more comfortable. Imo.

Also, here's a link to hybrid forums. Great fun over there... my fave was RC22 on 9900. Few quirks on 9930 led me back to good old 1066. A few around here remember the days... true enthusiasts WILL play! Lol.

https://forums.crackberry.com/hybrid-os-f224/

Careful...!!
    10-19-17 06:25 AM

Posted via CB10
    HAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA!!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    10-19-17 11:15 AM
    So I usually browse the AppyGeek app to get some tech news and look what I found under the iOS section!!!

Tales In Tech History: BlackBerry
    http://a.mynews.ly/!MD.HEZr0
    mushroom_daddy and idssteve like this.
    10-20-17 02:44 AM
    So I usually browse the AppyGeek app to get some tech news and look what I found under the iOS section!!!

Interesting. Interesting and encouraging that they even wrote the story. Even more interesting is what parts of the story they omitted... like what happens to ANY business when you thoroughly infuriate and disgust your biggest customer... as RIM did to Verizon over Storm fiasco... especially an "all powerful" customer that dwarfs your business and commands the sales floor AND marketing message on that floor... lol. . OR what happens to ANY business when when a CEO publicly declares virtually all current products as "obsolete" nearly two years before the replacement is even partly ready... Duh... lol.

Instead, the author (probably wisely) stuck with the tired narrative that RIM products "got left behind". When, in fact, our 6 year old 99s, focused like a laser, are STILL waiting for the distracted herd to catch up, imo. A herd that, rather than surpassing 99 on the highway of productive efficiency, simply took a sharp left onto a nicely scenic highway of perpetual distraction. Rather than sticking with their smaller highway they had originally trail blazed, RIM's belated response was to take a slight left with a "tool less" Q. Problem was, that "slight left" steered them straight off ANY highway! Where they found themselves crashing blindly thru the uncharted countryside with no goal other than to just keep going. Lol. I guess "when you're going thru Satan's Oven, ... Keep going!!". Lol

Meanwhile, we 99ers can still, thankfully, enjoy a handset designed to contribute collaboratively with OUR life's pursuits, rather than distract. Imo. Fwiw.
    10-20-17 07:37 AM
    What about 'k' for bookmarks? No other OS uses it. Even BB10 doesn't use it. I guess that's because it's so obviously intuitive /s.

It's hard-wired into my brain in any case.

Posted via CB10
    Yep, "hard wired" into muscle memory promotes effective efficiency by co-processing activities that would otherwise distract the cognitive main processor... lol. It perpetually befuddles me how so many folks are ok with dedicating both hands, both eyes and both sides of their brain to their two handed "hand"sets. Lol. I've been developing familiarity with my new K1 but have taken to calling the thing a "handzset". Lol. Its shortcuts help but a reasonably well implemented tool belt could really help that tall thing! Or, a step ladder for reaching commands Google stupidly located at the TOP of the UI. Lol.

One well used shortcut I failed to mention is "Q" for quiet. Easily found by feel, sight unseen. I frequently reach into holster and set to quiet for meetings, etc. Typically, no one even notices. No need to pull the thing & distract both hands, both eyes and both cranial hemispheres just to set to buzz for a meeting.
    10-20-17 08:04 AM
    Yep, "hard wired" into muscle memory...

One well used shortcut I failed to mention is "Q" for quiet.
    I use Q regularly too. It is a nice replacement for the old external mute switches that some designer thought were no longer necessary. My wife's iPhone SE still has one. I guess even Apple does things right sometimes! Actually, I'm kidding. Apple offers better fine-grained control over cellular data usage than anyone else. That would be a feature worth copying.

One annoying thing is that the BlackBerry muscle memory makes me LESS productive when I try to use other devices or non-BB apps. I keep attempting my regular shortcuts....

Back to the subject of features that should have been stolen from other OS's, the one shortcut that BlackBerry really missed the boat on when they introduced the capacitive keyboard on the Passport is the webOS backswipe to go back (in any app). That would have been brilliant. I don't use the current backswipe to delete a whole word very often. In fact, most of the time when I do use it, I do so accidentally. There should be an option to turn off the backswipe when you're typing. Some of us old BlackBerry users like to drag our fingers across the keyboard.

Anyways... ramble over.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-17 10:38 AM
    Interesting. Interesting and encouraging that they even wrote the story. Even more interesting is what parts of the story they omitted... like what happens to ANY business when you thoroughly infuriate and disgust your biggest customer... as RIM did to Verizon over Storm fiasco... especially an "all powerful" customer that dwarfs your business and commands the sales floor AND marketing message on that floor... lol. . OR what happens to ANY business when when a CEO publicly declares virtually all current products as "obsolete" nearly two years before the replacement is even partly ready... Duh... lol.

Instead, the author (probably wisely) stuck with the tired narrative that RIM products "got left behind". When, in fact, our 6 year old 99s, focused like a laser, are STILL waiting for the distracted herd to catch up, imo. A herd that, rather than surpassing 99 on the highway of productive efficiency, simply took a sharp left onto a nicely scenic highway of perpetual distraction. Rather than sticking with their smaller highway they had originally trail blazed, RIM's belated response was to take a slight left with a "tool less" Q. Problem was, that "slight left" steered them straight off ANY highway! Where they found themselves crashing blindly thru the uncharted countryside with no goal other than to just keep going. Lol. I guess "when you're going thru Satan's Oven, ... Keep going!!". Lol

Meanwhile, we 99ers can still, thankfully, enjoy a handset designed to contribute collaboratively with OUR life's pursuits, rather than distract. Imo. Fwiw.
    I still blame Heins, I don't think he had any vision for the company once he took over, and what did he do really?

The article is a European perspective (I believe) and I think there MIGHT be a slightly differing perspective between Europe, the US and Canada. When I read the article I noticed the positives, the accomplishments. I think that many in Canada who loved Blackberry lost a sense of pride with the troubles at Blackberry. Many of us remember the Nortel fiasco and that was another tech giant that fell further hurting the economy, etc. I see Blackberry as both a victim and to blame for what happened, by stagnating the tech because for years they sat on the top as kings and always thought they would be on top. (This is the Sociologist in me trying to consider different perspectives, different countries, etc)That's not to say they didn't try to innovate but let's face it, they weren't the only company to fall after the iPhone came around. My impression is that Samsung started copying everything that Apple did and they did well. But now I see Samsung and Apple copying each other's features. Remember when Samsung copied BlackBerries and they had a few PKB devices as well. So I lack respect for Samsung.

Can you sum up and describe the "Storm fiasco" in the US?
    10-20-17 11:09 AM
    I use Q regularly too. It is a nice replacement for the old external mute switches that some designer thought were no longer necessary. My wife's iPhone SE still has one. I guess even Apple does things right sometimes! Actually, I'm kidding. Apple offers better fine-grained control over cellular data usage than anyone else. That would be a feature worth copying.

One annoying thing is that the BlackBerry muscle memory makes me LESS productive when I try to use other devices or non-BB apps. I keep attempting my regular shortcuts....

Back to the subject of features that should have been stolen from other OS's, the one shortcut that BlackBerry really missed the boat on when they introduced the capacitive keyboard on the Passport is the webOS backswipe to go back (in any app). That would have been brilliant. I don't use the current backswipe to delete a whole word very often. In fact, most of the time when I do use it, I do so accidentally. There should be an option to turn off the backswipe when you're typing. Some of us old BlackBerry users like to drag our fingers across the keyboard.

Anyways... ramble over.

Posted via CB10
    Well, 99/Classic mute buttons do do mute. Changing profile is probably possible with mute button, at least with a third party app. My 99 is set to change profile to "vibrate only" with press of "q". Classic only changes to "silent" after pressing "q", AFAIK. I don't take enough calls or messages on Classic to make vibrate worth while, for my use anyway. Of course i get by with 99's vibrate in meetings because no one hear's it while holstered. If setting on conference room table during a meeting, for example, i'll switch to full silence, tho. Hearing someone's buzzer rattling on a table top is pretty disrupting. LOL.

Muscle memory has worn a perceptible polished spot on my Classic where convenience key SHOULD have been... lol. I've pressed 99's convenience key to see messages for so many years, just seems natural to do so on Classic. Sure miss that feature on BB10. Welcome it back on K1. K1's is located right at the balance point of the handset, tho. Which makes it a natural place to grasp the thing. I pressed it unintentionally far too many times before filing it flush. Flush works fine for pressing and reduces accidental presses. Also got a Seidio clip holster for it that protects those buttons and, with some judicious filing, i'm able to reach them fine. Without customized trimming (very easily cut plastic) the Seidio holster covers the convenience key. BUT, even tho the clip holster makes an obnoxiously huge device even more ridiculously huge, i find the rotatable belt clip on the back provides a nice ledge for first finger to find grasp of the thing. Permitting at least a little single handed use! Still no way to reach everything on that billboard they call a screen but that's mostly due to "Google Goophy" command button locations.

Yeah, i find the backswipe delete more irritation than help. Thanks to thousands of unique nomenclature and acronyms, we practice "zero error" typing in my office. Deleting typos is a very rare event for us. And SHOULD be for "the professions", at least. IMO. Fortunately, our 99s provide superb zero error typing platform. Great idea! It would be great for swipe to "go back"... Still might be within reach of software...??? Of course a genuine toolbelt is ALWAYS best, IMO. Something that could benefit my monster K1 spectacularly! Oh well...
    10-20-17 11:49 AM
    I use 'Q' quite often as well though the mute button is still there. Reaching that button reposition my hand from the usual position which I found uncomfortable, and did cause several drops.
    But from my experience, 'Q' put you back to the last used profile. I usually switch between vibrate and quiet profile, but when sometime I use normal, 'Q' would get me switching between normal and the previous used, vibrate or silence.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-17 12:53 PM
8,754 ... 262263264265266 ...