No trust here. It's backed up, new one on the way. Working flawlessly so far tho. Go figure. Frantic client working thru a trouble shooting session doesn't want to hear that my phone randomly dies... lol.

Fortunately it's just a backup secondary carry for THE handset that's earned trust... Ol'99.
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    10-07-17 02:28 PM
    Oh that's right, 2g. That's why I hesitated, I remember now. Could still use as PDA .

BTW, what android 2.1 apps are you using? They would be capable with my q10, and I'm looking for good quick apps. I find pocketbook and kindle (an early version), both for ICS, work superbly with no heating of the q10.

OS 10.3.2.2530 on my Q10
    I have Opera Mini, Naked Browser, Podtrapper, Ghost Commander, and Vanilla Music Player. I haven't found a working reddit or twitter app, and youtube won't work with either browser or the built in app.

The built-in Gmail and email apps still work well, although the low screen resolution means that there is little screen real estate.

You can get better apps to work with the Q10. I tend to prefer BlackBerry apps if I can find them, and then lightweight apps from F-Droid.

Edit: One way of finding old Android apps is with the Aptoide app store. It maintains an archive of old versions for every app.

Which version of Kindle are you using? I got tired of the heavy recent versions and converted all my ebooks to .epub so I could use a native reader.
    Last edited by Shuswap; 10-08-17 at 08:56 PM.
    10-08-17 04:15 PM
    ...Imagine Bond's PPK turning out to be a squirt gun. Lol.
    It'd be like expecting James Bond and getting Justin Bieber.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    10-08-17 07:59 PM
    I have Opera Mini, Naked Browser, Podtrapper, Ghost Commander, and Vanilla Music Player. I haven't found a working reddit or twitter app, and youtube won't work with either browser or the built in app.

The built-in Gmail and email apps still work well, although the low screen resolution means that there is little screen real estate.

You can get better apps to work with the Q10. I tend to prefer BlackBerry apps if I can find them, and then lightweight apps from F-Droid.

Edit: One way of finding old Android apps is with the Aptoide app store. It maintains an archive of old versions for every app.

Which version of Kindle are you using? I got tired of the heavy recent versions and converted all my ebooks to .epub so I could use a native reader.
    The BBW store doesn't necessarily have better apps for the Q10. I find the native ereader to be poor. Pocketbook is MUCH better and yet also lightweight. I use kindle 7.8.0.113. It works great on Q10. I think I got it from apkpure.com.

When I use my 9900 to read, I prefer to convert to mobi. On my Q10, either epub or mobi is ok.

FUN trivia: the first mention of cellphone was over 100 years ago! By Frank Baum, in one of his Oz books (TikTok of Oz). He called it a "wireless telephone." I know this... because I just finished the book!

OS 10.3.2.2530 on my Q10
    10-08-17 09:21 PM
    The BBW store doesn't necessarily have better apps for the Q10. I find the native ereader to be poor. Pocketbook is MUCH better and yet also lightweight. I use kindle 7.8.0.113. It works great on Q10. I think I got it from apkpure.com.

When I use my 9900 to read, I prefer to convert to mobi. On my Q10, either epub or mobi is ok.

FUN trivia: the first mention of cellphone was over 100 years ago! By Frank Baum, in one of his Oz books (TikTok of Oz). He called it a "wireless telephone." I know this... because I just finished the book!

OS 10.3.2.2530 on my Q10
    Haha! Like the trivia!
    10-08-17 11:45 PM
    I use kindle 7.8.0.113. It works great on Q10. I think I got it from apkpure.com.
    Thanks for the suggestion, I've installed to test. I'd love to get an older, stable version of Kindle app on my Q10. Recent ones are slow and clunky. The Kindle app on my 9900 is far faster and more usable as a Kindle book reader.
    Last edited by mushroom_daddy; 10-09-17 at 06:32 AM.
    10-09-17 05:13 AM

OS 10.3.2.2530 on my Q10
    Kindle 1.0.2 still sorta works on 9900. Jfi.

Interesting thing about "wireless telephone" was that earliest wireless communications employed telegraph style "dots & dashes". Somewhat analogous to "ones & zeros" our smart phones employ. Somewhat faster "word rate" tho. Lol.

Imagine the shock when wireless operators, long experienced in hearing "dots & dashes", started hearing Fessenden's violin and VOICE thru their 1906 vintage "Morse over Hertzian wave" headset? Lol!! I, myself, might have concluded that hearing such things on the job indicated retirement was well past due... rotflmao!!! Lol.

Also interesting is Canadian involvement in those "Hertzian wave - invisible light" years. Certain parallels abound, imo. ("invisible light" being coined by a fabulously brilliant Bengali ... named Bose... )

Nothing new about human desire to communicate from anywhere to anywhere... ultimately perfected, over a century, into a single hand by our 9900! !!
    Last edited by idssteve; 10-09-17 at 06:48 AM.
    10-09-17 06:38 AM
    Didn't BB/RIM discontinue BIS because the technology was getting old and would not support LTE devices!?
    10-09-17 08:36 AM
    No. BIS is still available on a number of carriers. There are forum members here in Canada, the US, the UK, and in Europe (Poland) who have plans with BIS, and those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.
    10-09-17 08:55 AM
    Didn't BB/RIM discontinue BIS because the technology was getting old and would not support LTE devices!?
    No way, I'm still on BIS plan here. And check the last financial results. It was some pretty decent revenue still from that side of the business (though chump change by Apple standards) and I think was the difference between profitable and not.
    10-09-17 12:12 PM
    I honestly don't think they will close BIS, the service is already established, probably doesn't cost much instead of just pulling the plug. I am willing to bet in Canada at least they won't.

Is this a decent deal? Or should it be cheaper? Also how are apps functioning on a Z10.

10-09-17 02:02 PM
    Way too expensive. A z30 is half that on craigslist.

OS 10.3.2.2530 on my Q10
    10-09-17 02:03 PM
    Is this a decent deal? Or should it be cheaper? Also how are apps functioning on a Z10.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...2ec9bc0800.jpg
    I suspect a z10 should cost between $60-80 Canadian. As for apps, as always, it depends which ones you want and how picky you are. But the big drawback of the z10 has always been battery life. You might get 4 hours of actual use if you're lucky. Less with Android apps. So you'd need spare batteries and an external battery charger to be safe. I had one and sold it because I hated carrying spare batteries to get through a normal day.
    10-09-17 06:38 PM
    New from bell it's. 129.99CAD outright so I would suspect this would be a tough sell. But you should head to the marketplace here, swappa ,eBay ,Kijiji etc. It will give a better idea on how to price the device.
    10-09-17 07:05 PM
    No way, I'm still on BIS plan here. And check the last financial results. It was some pretty decent revenue still from that side of the business (though chump change by Apple standards) and I think was the difference between profitable and not.
    Yep, I'm still using BIS here in the States on my spare 9900...the little beast just keeps working!
    idssteve likes this.
    10-09-17 07:16 PM
    Ok thnx guys. I almost feel like saying something to her but I better not. I would get it just to learn Android but I doubt they would go for $60 since they want to much. I'll monitor if it sells or not.
    10-09-17 07:17 PM
    I suspect a z10 should cost between $60-80 Canadian. As for apps, as always, it depends which ones you want and how picky you are. But the big drawback of the z10 has always been battery life. You might get 4 hours of actual use if you're lucky. Less with Android apps. So you'd need spare batteries and an external battery charger to be safe. I had one and sold it because I hated carrying spare batteries to get through a normal day.
    My apps are Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Whatsapp, Instagram, TuneIn radio, Spotify Premium, Amazon and EBay apps and a few more. If all those worked then I'd be rockin'.
    10-09-17 07:20 PM
    My apps are Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Whatsapp, Instagram, TuneIn radio, Spotify Premium, Amazon and EBay apps and a few more. If all those worked then I'd be rockin'.
    I don't think Snapchat works. Not sure about Spotify. For the others, there's a way. But I don't use many constantly polling apps, so if I had poor battery life, yours would be downright awful.
    10-09-17 08:32 PM
    Ok thnx guys. I almost feel like saying something to her but I better not. I would get it just to learn Android but I doubt they would go for $60 since they want to much. I'll monitor if it sells or not.
    If you want to learn Android, you'd be much better off buying an Android handset, there are plenty of economic & capable options available. Android app performance is sub-optimal on BB10 handsets and many newer apps will not work at all on the old runtime that is deployed by BB10. If on the other-hand, you have a secret desire to experience BB10 (before it goes extinct) why not buy a Q10, Classic or even the Passport. Either way , (in my opinion) $250 is way too much for a Z10.
    10-10-17 09:07 AM
    My early days Z met an untimely end but recall irritation with boot times after battery swap. Hard to beat 99's sub 3 minute boot time after swap and compact JM1 for pocketing. Imo.

Of course one of the beauties of swappable battery is ability to match battery size to use. If I were still using a Z, i'd probably check out an extended battery just to minimize number of Z's batt swap boots.

Never used these but interesting....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00PV...UvbUpU13042009
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    10-10-17 01:52 PM
    you guys still using this thing? lol
    10-10-17 02:15 PM
    Speaking of "Tough Rubberized" phones that you don't need a case with, look at what I saw today at Sasktel..... what the bleep is it!?

10-10-17 02:49 PM
    Here is what they have left for BlackBerries.....

10-10-17 02:51 PM
    And it looks like there is still demand for a basic flip PKB, otherwise they wouldn't be stocking them......some odds and ends.....

10-10-17 02:53 PM
    If you want to learn Android, you'd be much better off buying an Android handset, there are plenty of economic & capable options available. Android app performance is sub-optimal on BB10 handsets and many newer apps will not work at all on the old runtime that is deployed by BB10. If on the other-hand, you have a secret desire to experience BB10 (before it goes extinct) why not buy a Q10, Classic or even the Passport. Either way , (in my opinion) $250 is way too much for a Z10.
    Yup agreed. I just figured if it was cheap enough I might have got it to play with, no biggie
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    10-10-17 02:56 PM
8,754 ... 257258259260261 ...