^^ good comparison ^^

I might add that 9900/Classic toolbelt provides physical call "End" key that improves assurance previous caller isn't still listening. If that's a concern. I also like 99's charging contacts and convenience key.
    10-06-17 03:20 PM
    Who knows how to use NFC? My 9900 and q10 both have it but I have never used and don't know how to activate. Any hints? I turned NFC on for both devices, tapped them, and duh nothing happened of course.

There is likely a description in some manual somewhere I haven't read...

OS 10.3.2.2530 on my Q10
    What do you want to do with it? I used NFC to transfer contacts and such between 9900 and the BB10 phones. It works, but not always as seamless as you might think.

I also had a shoe (don't ask...) with NFC embedded and the 9900 read it just fine. It takes me to a Web site.

NFC would be great for contact less payment, bus/train passes, etc. But it never seems used for that.

You can buy NFC tags for the phone to read, but I can't think of a compelling application of that yet. Other people have suggested putting a tag at my desk so when I get to work, I plunk the phone down and it automatically turns on WiFi, sets the ringer profile, etc. But that doesn't seem compelling.
    10-06-17 03:57 PM
    What do you want to do with it? I used NFC to transfer contacts and such between 9900 and the BB10 phones. It works, but not always as seamless as you might think.

I also had a shoe (don't ask...) with NFC embedded and the 9900 read it just fine. It takes me to a Web site.

NFC would be great for contact less payment, bus/train passes, etc. But it never seems used for that.

You can buy NFC tags for the phone to read, but I can't think of a compelling application of that yet. Other people have suggested putting a tag at my desk so when I get to work, I plunk the phone down and it automatically turns on WiFi, sets the ringer profile, etc. But that doesn't seem compelling.
    I might be wrong but wasn't it also for sharing songs from BBM music or whatever? Remember seeing a commercial for that but now I can't remember if that was BlackBerry. I always got the impression that BlackBerry put it in the early legacy devices, and by early I'm talking about the 9900 here, just to compete with the others because I'm really not sure what you can do with it otherwise.

One thing for sure I'm loving it on the iPhone, tap to pay is my preferred choice now but you better make sure if you use Apple Pay you better have enough battery in your phone because if you leave your wallet at home then you're not getting your gas for your car LOL.

Yeah I think BlackBerry could've done a lot more with NFC. I don't think I've seen anybody talk about the newer blackberries using NFC, what are the applications?

So far there's only two places I cannot use NFC, Walmart, and I read that Walmart does not get along nicely with Apple so they do not allow Apple Pay on their debit machines, and my café, they are too cheap to get a tap get it machine and I have to use my old school bank card.
    10-06-17 04:12 PM
    Betrayal! What happened to the physical keyboard?!

10-06-17 04:23 PM
    I want NFC to transfer text files between q10 and 9900. Is it critical? No, I can just use a desktop for that, or I could see if onedrive works on the 9900 and transfer that way, too.

Onedrive works great on Q10. Not sure about 9900, i'll probably have to use website version for that... if the 9900 browser can handle it.

OS 10.3.2.2530 on my Q10
    10-06-17 05:13 PM
    ...It really is extraordinary how devices with even slightly larger or smaller form factors than the Q10 or 9900 can be so notably different when it comes to typing and overall usability ...that compact, "palmable" form factor...
    You know what else is perfect about the Bold form factor? I've written this before, but -- it's _perfect_ with a suit.

The Passport is a great phone, but it's just too heavy to plop in a suit pants pocket: You're _really_ aware it's there. Not only does the Bold fit perfectly in my suit pocket, it's also got an... elegance... that makes it seem like it's part of your wardrobe.

I know Steve, as an engineer, is constantly out in the field with his Bold; as a scientist, I'm in front of my customers all the time, telling them how I spent their money, and my "Bond -- _James_ Bond"-elegant Bold fits my suit like 007's Walther PPK fits in its shoulder holster.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    idssteve and mushroom_daddy like this.
    10-06-17 10:06 PM
    You know what else is perfect about the Bold form factor? I've written this before, but -- it's _perfect_ with a suit.

The Passport is a great phone, but it's just too heavy to plop in a suit pants pocket: You're _really_ aware it's there. Not only does the Bold fit perfectly in my suit pocket, it's also got an... elegance... that makes it seem like it's part of your wardrobe.

I know Steve, as an engineer, is constantly out in the field with his Bold; as a scientist, I'm in front of my customers all the time, telling them how I spent their money, and my "Bond -- _James_ Bond"-elegant Bold fits my suit like 007's Walther PPK fits in its shoulder holster.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    Yes! When wearing a suit, I usually keep my phone in my right inside coat pocket. It's super convenient to carry there and, of course, it always looks much classier pulling something from your coat. People notice that. And the phone you retrieve from that pocket better be as classy as the retrieval move itself.

I'm testing out a Moto E4. It's a remarkable phone for $99, but unremarkable to look at, as it is encased in cheap, black plastic and looks like every other Android slab. I pull that from my suit coat and it would raise nary an eyebrow.

But a Classic or Q10 would, at the very least, elicit more than a passing thought.

 BlackBerry | CLASSIC
    10-06-17 10:51 PM
    Who bought the Flipout phone here? How's that going?

I had a chance to get a $7 palm Centro but hesitated. Was that a good phone?

Ralph, thanks for the reset code. I was not aware of it. Maybe it was listed in some manual, but being a typical guy, I don't read manuals.

OS 10.3.2.2530 on my Q10
    I bought the Flipout. It's a nice little phone -- a good conversation piece, and I've actually found a couple of decent apps that run on Android 2.1.

The GSM Centro is 2G only and won't connect in the US or Canada anymore, since all of the GSM 2G networks have been shut down. I don't know whether the CDMA variants will still work or not.
    10-07-17 12:42 AM
    Always wished they'd made track PAD retrofit for Pearl.
    Even better than that, they made the Pearl 3G (9100 and 9105), with trackpad and OS6.
    10-07-17 12:54 AM
    Yes! When wearing a suit, I usually keep my phone in my right inside coat pocket. It's super convenient to carry there and, of course, it always looks much classier pulling something from your coat. People notice that. And the phone you retrieve from that pocket better be as classy as the retrieval move itself.

I'm testing out a Moto E4. It's a remarkable phone for $99, but unremarkable to look at, as it is encased in cheap, black plastic and looks like every other Android slab. I pull that from my suit coat and it would raise nary an eyebrow.

But a Classic or Q10 would, at the very least, elicit more than a passing thought.

 BlackBerry | CLASSIC
    Same case for me too. Currently I won a white Q10 and a grey moto g5 plus. In terms of specification moto G5 is way superior in every aspect. But in terms of looks and aristocracy my Q10 can beat any android slab. That's classic blackberry logo in the back. Wow!!!!!

Posted via CB10
    10-07-17 12:55 AM
    I want NFC to transfer text files between q10 and 9900. Is it critical? No, I can just use a desktop for that, or I could see if onedrive works on the 9900 and transfer that way, too.

Onedrive works great on Q10. Not sure about 9900, i'll probably have to use website version for that... if the 9900 browser can handle it.

OS 10.3.2.2530 on my Q10
    Cloud Explorer for One Drive works reasonably well.

Dropbox works well enough on 99 to modify already saved spreadsheet files, for example. But just lost support on BB10 about last week.

I also frequently use Bluetooth file transfer.
    10-07-17 02:26 AM
    Even better than that, they made the Pearl 3G (9100 and 9105), with trackpad and OS6. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...c7c6cc7f24.jpg
    Ah yes! That's right! Now that you jog my aging memory. Lol. I'd forgotten. Guess i'd moved back to qwerty by that point. Twas a grandly compact form. A little too compact for optimal productivity, in my experience. BUT, track PAD was a masterpiece of a "giant leapfrog end run" around touch interface, imo. Trackpad did everything touch UI did without occluding screenestate with thumb, stretching thumb tendons to reach distant commands stupidly positioned, AND without so many accidental commands initiated by accidentally brushing zero force, zero displacement capacitive TARGET occupying vast areas of the device's surface!!!! Lol.

Disclaimer: after all these years, I STILL find touch interface irritatingly inefficient. Lol.
    10-07-17 02:35 AM

Absolutely! Engineers dress in suits occasionally also. Haha. Especially when meeting with clients to explain how, and why, we're spending their money. . As you know, that's just life as a professional. Your reputation must sell the client well before personal meetings BUT I'd FAR rather be seen retrieving "Professional grade" tools of the trade from my coat pocket. I typically grab my clean, shiny, 9900 for such occasions. 9900 still projects an aging but competent elegance that simply reinforces perception of focused experience.

I dread the day I'm forced to retrieve a freshman grade toy partly paid for by advertising influence. Imagine Bond's PPK turning out to be a squirt gun. Lol. Already see how confidence inspiring THAT looks. Hoping my competitors aren't reading this. Lol.
    anon(10321802) likes this.
    10-07-17 02:56 AM
    Cloud Explorer for One Drive works reasonably well.

Dropbox works well enough on 99 to modify already saved spreadsheet files, for example. But just lost support on BB10 about last week.
    Cloud Explorer for Google Drive also works well on the 9900 and provides another way of sharing files. I use another file manager app on my Q10 to access the Google Drive, which if I recall correctly is called PlayCloud. I can't remember whether that also works with Dropbox; will check when next on my Q10.

UPDATE- PlayCloud for BB10 does have a DropBox option but it doesn't appear to be working. Indeed, it seems that DropBox isn't working at all on my Q10, even with the OEM 'Connect to DropBox' app.
    Last edited by mushroom_daddy; 10-09-17 at 05:10 AM.
    10-07-17 03:24 AM
    Update on Classic! It's alive! It's alive!! . Just stopped by office on way out of town and checked on previously dead Classic my "smart guys" had left on charge in-the-breakroom-FREEZER compartment last night... !!!! ?????? Idk. Idk. Too phreaky. Typing this on my Classic in right hand now. Battery 100%. Gonna pack it with me along with brand new K1... (and 99, of course). We'll see...

Already texted my "smart guys" with 99 in left hand and they just repied, and I quote: " ". Lol. WHAT did the freezer do??? They're still trying to sleep... lol. Classic seems back in service, for now. I'll set it up with laptop in truck to back it up, at least. Lol.
    anon(10321802) likes this.
    10-07-17 03:25 AM
    Noticed I missed an "L" in "replied" in previous post... sure miss the 99's ergonomic smiling KB! Lol. My old thumbs just don't do linear articulation naturally.
    10-07-17 03:29 AM
    Standing here in truck stop filling truck with nozzle in right hand, 99 in left. Clerk has already explained their card reader isn't working at pump and there's quite a line at counter inside so we'll see how long this goes uninterrupted. ?

Just wanted to expand on David's observations re importance of perceptions. In addition to clients, I've found that vendors also frequently respond to perceived expectations of performance. About half a year before Classic released, I flew to meet with a significant vendor about things like delivery schedules, billing, design options, etc. Sitting down at their conference table, first thing i noticed was Apple. Everywhere. All participants. Great products. Yet, by meeting's end it was well established that my left hand would, invariably, retrieve answers, data, drawings, etc before anything else in the room. After the meeting their management inquired about my "amazing old phone"...lol

(Waiting in line now).

I pointed out that on the other end of that "old phone" was a team of 26 of some of the brightest humans on the planet! "Real time" communications competency placed that team in my left hand!

(Finally paid for fuel, walking back to truck)

It really doesn't take powerful graphics or apps to make that real time coordination happen. It starts with hardware configured to collaborate with collaboration...

That vendor later transitioned to Classics and I hear they're trying Ks. They've exceeded all expectations since.

(The above was typed, sight unseen, and will be posted without proof read. Please accept apologies for any typos... Time to fire up old 7.3 and hit the road again! Classic gps leading the way!!
    10-07-17 04:49 AM
    The thing is.. Blackberry own the name rights to *Storm* & *Curve*

they could actually make a curved phone and call it the curve and make a Storm X or Storm Classic ?> etc

They're sitting on a fortune i think with these name ownerships by law lol
    10-07-17 08:50 AM
    Absolutely! Engineers dress in suits occasionally also. Haha. Especially when meeting with clients to explain how, and why, we're spending their money. . As you know, that's just life as a professional. Your reputation must sell the client well before personal meetings BUT I'd FAR rather be seen retrieving "Professional grade" tools of the trade from my coat pocket. I typically grab my clean, shiny, 9900 for such occasions. 9900 still projects an aging but competent elegance that simply reinforces perception of focused experience.

I dread the day I'm forced to retrieve a freshman grade toy partly paid for by advertising influence. Imagine Bond's PPK turning out to be a squirt gun. Lol. Already see how confidence inspiring THAT looks. Hoping my competitors aren't reading this. Lol.
    The Bond-retrieving-a-squirt-gun line made me chuckle and is spot on! I don't care how much metal or glass high-end flagship Androids or iPhones may have, they still look like boring slabs at first glance.

 BlackBerry | CLASSIC
    10-07-17 09:20 AM
    Update on Classic! It's alive! It's alive!! . Just stopped by office on way out of town and checked on previously dead Classic my "smart guys" had left on charge in-the-breakroom-FREEZER compartment last night... !!!! ?????? Idk. Idk. Too phreaky. Typing this on my Classic in right hand now. Battery 100%. Gonna pack it with me along with brand new K1... (and 99, of course). We'll see...

Already texted my "smart guys" with 99 in left hand and they just repied, and I quote: " ". Lol. WHAT did the freezer do??? They're still trying to sleep... lol. Classic seems back in service, for now. I'll set it up with laptop in truck to back it up, at least. Lol.
    That's great news! Glad it's working again. Hopefully that was just a weird fluke and doesn't brick itself again.

 BlackBerry | CLASSIC
    10-07-17 09:23 AM

Sometimes the freezer can get you past a component that's been overheating, but it's usually just a temporary fix, so that you can get your data off a device. So I'm not sure about this particular use of the freezer.
    10-07-17 09:43 AM
    Yeah, old one backed up. New one ordered to meet me at jobsite. Just worked it out over breakfast and battery still 96%. It charges from Qi cradle while in truck, tho. "Smart guys" are being cagey about explaining what happened so... Sometimes they behave that way when they just don't know... ??? Lol.

Amazing how much I missed the thing, yesterday. Z30 just wasn't filling the double fisted role. Toolbelt really contributes to productivity. I'm still pounding thru backlog from yesterday. But, with new Classic on way, I can comfortably cover workload for coworkers wanting to volunteer assistance to PR recovery... . Never worked so hard BEFORE retirement...!! Haha...
    10-07-17 10:19 AM
    "Smart guys" are being cagey about explaining what happened so... Sometimes they behave that way when they just don't know... ??? Lol.
    I've noticed that tendency from our IT guys too. I think it also emerges when your problem is the product of their decisions (as in, "this problem was probably caused by the buggy custom image of Windows 10 we're putting on everybody's laptops, so I think I'll just refrain from explaining...").
    idssteve likes this.
    10-07-17 10:25 AM
    I bought the Flipout. It's a nice little phone -- a good conversation piece, and I've actually found a couple of decent apps that run on Android 2.1.

The GSM Centro is 2G only and won't connect in the US or Canada anymore, since all of the GSM 2G networks have been shut down. I don't know whether the CDMA variants will still work or not.
    Oh that's right, 2g. That's why I hesitated, I remember now. Could still use as PDA .

BTW, what android 2.1 apps are you using? They would be capable with my q10, and I'm looking for good quick apps. I find pocketbook and kindle (an early version), both for ICS, work superbly with no heating of the q10.

OS 10.3.2.2530 on my Q10
    10-07-17 01:02 PM

Can it BE TRUSTED, that is the question.
    10-07-17 02:18 PM
8,754 ... 256257258259260 ...