I enjoy BB7 and 10. I plan on keeping it simple, expectations realistic and will have years of enjoying both devices ahead.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
    10-01-17 05:53 PM
    This is weird, but LogicMail is better than it's ever been -- at least with Hotmail/Outlook/whatever-MS-is-calling-it-this-week. Derek (the dev) wrote on his site years ago that the app was standards compliant and the email providers were not, and it seems that Microsoft has suddenly become standards compliant. My LogicMail has stayed connected to the Office365 IMAP server all day. Strangely, it actually gets mail before my Passport does.

I guess it's going to have to go back on the working apps list.
    idssteve likes this.
    10-01-17 08:03 PM
    It's so easy to see what should have been done in retrospect. Not so easy to know what to do in the moment. That's the human experience for you. I think Mike and Jim did the best they could under the circumstances. Their best obviously wasn't good enough. So here we are.

 BlackBerry | CLASSIC
    Yep, perfect retrospect is far too easy, in most cases. I generally refrain from subjective descriptors like "stupid". Yet, I certainly employed far stronger vocabulary in late 2011 expressing personal outrage experienced when RIM's top man publicly declared their brand new flagship 99s to be "obsolete" just after I'd convinced management to buy a fleet of them. Before my company even had most of them in hand. A full year & half before the "non-obsolete" replacement product would even be available. Few consumers even recall the event now, I suppose. Probably seems like "perfect retrospect" to them. Lol. Enterprise decision makers DID notice. With predictable response.

I certainly would never claim desire to swap jobs with Mike or Jim but THAT event was worthy of far stronger response from their board than it seemed to receive at the time. A no-brainer at the time. Imo. Let alone hindsight.

My point in pointing that out is attempt to illustrate that RIM's stumble from dominance was FAR more complex than simply blaming BBOS or BB10.
    10-01-17 10:55 PM
    This is weird, but LogicMail is better than it's ever been -- at least with Hotmail/Outlook/whatever-MS-is-calling-it-this-week. Derek (the dev) wrote on his site years ago that the app was standards compliant and the email providers were not, and it seems that Microsoft has suddenly become standards compliant. My LogicMail has stayed connected to the Office365 IMAP server all day. Strangely, it actually gets mail before my Passport does.

I guess it's going to have to go back on the working apps list.
    Excellent! More life for Logic mail! Secure?
    10-01-17 11:56 PM
    Oh you'd like to think you're special, do you? :-)

When I carry my 9900, and I do it for a week or more at a stretch, I also carry just one device, exclusively 9900. The other devices stay off and in the drawer for the entire time.

You got me beat on one aspect, I have been using my 9900 for a couple years now (after I got my first BB10 phone).

For pure communications, it is really tough to beat the 9900.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-02-17 12:15 AM
    I like a lot of things about the new phones, but I also hate a lot of things about them. Two things I really hate - they are too big and the batteries are no removable.

Now, companies may say being non-removable improves internal space, improves water-proofing, allows thinner devices, etc. I say, hogwash! The true secret reason is planned obsolescence. After two years, they want you to buy their latest product. They don't want you to keep switching out batteries and using old devices for years and years.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900!
    10-02-17 02:10 AM
    Size, weight and battery are major complaints with my Classic.

I frequently venture solo with 99 and feel perfectly confident that clients, coworkers and family are MOST likely to achieve reliably quickest real time communications availability thru 99. Its unmatched single handed friendliness permits me to respond whether pulling a cart thru the supermarket, during meals, rushing to catch a bus or a flight, etc, etc. AND, when its battery drains, I'm returning call or message less than three minutes later with FULL focus on the conversation. Finding ways to power Classic, once drained, becomes a frustratingly needless distraction. MY clients, coworkers and family deserve and have grown to expect real time availability from me. 99 provides that better than ANYthing else I've tried. Period.

When dual carrying (most of the time these days) 99 is still primary and is with me 100% of time. Since I NEVER plug wires into it for power, I too frequently fall asleep with the thing in hand. Lol. Vibration will wake me well before ring tone. Lol. No telling what that RF dose is doing to my left hand but... Lol. You just can't beat 99's eager collaboration in nearly every direction. The result of quite a few years of enterprise feedback, afaik. Also, I suspect both Mike and Jim themselves at least partly shared my "workoholic" appreciation for real time availability. An appreciation that likely trickled down into our 2011 flagships.

Given the years since its last security update, I, personally, no longer use my 99 for financial and other security critical activities. A self imposed constraint of abundant caution that leads me to carry a more modern secondary handset. That "secondary carry" has turned out to be quite handy for ability to check & update schedules, contacts, messages, maps, documents, internet, etc, etc thru Classic in one hand without interrupting communications over 99 in the other hand. A wonderfully efficient use of screen estate, if nothing else. . My Classic gets about 15% of use. 99 gets 99% of use. The other 14% of overlap represents simultaneous use. Rough numbers, of course.

The other aspect of dual carry is ability to utilize more than a single carrier. I typically carry a VZW 9930 as primary. Secondary might be an ATT Passport, etc... (Where ATT's strong enough). If I can't get thru on one carrier, sometimes the other one works.
    Last edited by idssteve; 10-02-17 at 06:46 AM.
    10-02-17 06:35 AM
    Falling back on ol'99 for dropbox access, now. At least till I get home & sort things out. Dropbox on BB10 stuff stopped a few days ago. Go figure.
    10-02-17 07:11 AM
    Falling back on ol'99 for dropbox access, now. At least till I get home & sort things out. Dropbox on BB10 stuff stopped a few days ago. Go figure.
    Thankfully Box and OneDrive still work. I once had a DropBox account but I rarely used it, so I deleted it.

 BlackBerry | CLASSIC
    10-02-17 08:10 AM
    I do think I'll try to get a Q10. If I'm going to holster my BlackBerry so I can pocket my secondary device, I want my BlackBerry to be as compact as possible. The Classic is just as wide as the Moto E4 I'm currently testing (with the intention of doing a video review on my YouTube channel) and almost as tall. It might be awkward having that thing attached to my belt.

 BlackBerry | CLASSIC
    10-02-17 08:16 AM
    Thankfully Box and OneDrive still work. I once had a DropBox account but I rarely used it, so I deleted it.

 BlackBerry | CLASSIC
    Thankfully our IT suspected dropbox might eventually stop on BB10 and got us migrated to OneDrive & Box a couple years ago. We were warned, I guess. Lol. BB10's aging. 99 has one up on it, now. Fwiw.

There are third party & android solutions if willing to risk. We use it primarily for terminal designation spreadsheets so security is really no problem for most projects. Pretty "Greek" to our very sharp competitors. Putin is free to waste his time reading them. Lol. Might distract him from other mischief. Lol.
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    10-02-17 09:01 AM
    I don't have to dual carry two phones thanks to lifestyle. The commute to work is short, there are plenty of computers at work. And when I'm out casually, I'm almost always with the wife, who has a big iphone. Hence, no need to carry another phone.

I can enjoy just carrying a light 9900!

idssteve likes this.
    10-02-17 12:21 PM
    I just installed twitter on my 9900. Surprised to see it works. Now all I need is something or somebody interesting to follow. I added Trump because he's the president, and like him or not, his comments never fail to amuse.

I added a BB bold listing, but unfollowed because it was in some non-English language.

So, what's interesting to follow?

10-02-17 02:03 PM
    I just installed twitter on my 9900. Surprised to see it works. Now all I need is something or somebody interesting to follow. I added Trump because he's the president, and like him or not, his comments never fail to amuse.

I added a BB bold listing, but unfollowed because it was in some non-English language.

You never had a Twitter account before?

I use it to get news alerts coming in as text messages and it really is a great way to stay on top of things I follow five different news sites.

And Twitter does work great on the 9900, if only Mark Zuckerberg could've kept Facebook running as well. Zuckerberg has 10 times the budget that Twitter does and Twitter never killed support for it yet.
    10-02-17 02:16 PM
    News update, not positive....

BlackBerry's patent strategy head exits, joins health tech firm -sources
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-bl...-idUSKCN1C72NS
    10-02-17 03:34 PM

UberSocial is another nice Twitter app for the Bold 9900. I tend to follow newspapers on Twitter, so I use it as a kind of RSS reader replacement. I also follow a bunch of webOS fans and developers. That's about it.
    10-02-17 06:55 PM
    I like a lot of things about the new phones, but I also hate a lot of things about them. Two things I really hate - they are too big and the batteries are no removable.

Now, companies may say being non-removable improves internal space, improves water-proofing, allows thinner devices, etc. I say, hogwash!...
    No, it's actually all true. But also irrelevant.
    - When you still have ports & speakers, a battery cover is a minor issue for water resistance. Besides, who uses their phone under water? You can't connect to anything, you can't hear anything...this is just to save some careless users who like to sit poolside?

- Thinner device? Sure, but I like to trot out the Z10 vs iPhone SE comparison. The much older Z10 is just over 1mm thicker but sports a removable battery and has very similar standby and talk times.
    The 1mm doesn't even matter. I challenge anyone to tell by hand which is thicker. Go ahead & throw the 9900 into the mix too. Despite being the thickest of the trio, it feels thinner and the best in hand due to the design of the edge. (iPhone SE feels the worst in my opinion due to the sharp edges, but then almost nobody I know runs a naked iPhone)

The manufacturers didn't lie, but it's a complete distraction for the real reason, which as you stated, is the obsolescence issue. You got a phone that has removable battery & is easily repairable like the 9900, sales of new devices would not be nearly as high.

Darn I type way too much when I'm on my 9900! :-)

idssteve likes this.
    10-02-17 07:05 PM
    You never had a Twitter account before?

I use it to get news alerts coming in as text messages and it really is a great way to stay on top of things I follow five different news sites...
    I still don't have a Twitter account. For news purposes I prefer to use RSS feeds. Just use the Social Feeds feature built into the 9900. The news summaries fit more than 140 characters so you have a better idea of the story before you have to click on the link.
    Most web sites I follow, especially news sites, will have RSS feeds. I think that was built in feature for most blogs too.

10-02-17 07:11 PM
    iPhone SE feels the worst in my opinion due to the sharp edges, but then almost nobody I know runs a naked iPhone)
    I have to disagree on both of these fronts. I find the iPhone SE very comfortable to hold because it is very similar to the flat edges of the 9900. My iPhone 7 is so curvy where you put your fingers that it is guaranteed to slide out of your hand like butter unless you maintain a death grip on it at all times. This is why for my iPhone 7 I tried about four different cases before I settled on the OtterBox commuter. The flat sides where you put your fingers is a beautiful thing. Why Apple would round the edges off on the iPhone 7 is beyond me, and it has been this way since the iPhone 6. The OtterBox commuter flat edges is the perfect representation of the blackberry 9900 flat sides where fingers rest. No sliding off, etc.

As for naked iPhones and never seeing one, that's all I see. Well probably about 70%. Maybe things are different here but it's so common here that I actually gave my next-door neighbour my vina harmony iPhone 7 case I did not need anymore because she's holding her gold iPhone with a cracked screen protector, no case and when I asked her why she doesn't use a case she said well I have a glass screen protector on it!!!!!

Personally I think that a lot of people like to go naked because maybe they want to show off what they have for a phone, that might be one plausible response, but it makes sense to have a case if the phone is slippery or not comfortable to hold or one is prone to dropping it often. The shape of the device or goes a long way towards making a comfortable hold, and that's why with the 9900 I don't use the case. I tried it for a little while but it's just not necessary with how comfortable it is.
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 10-02-17 at 07:48 PM.
    10-02-17 07:32 PM
    ...Now, companies may say being non-removable improves internal space, improves water-proofing, allows thinner devices, etc. I say, hogwash! The true secret reason is planned obsolescence. After two years, they want you to buy their latest product.
    I totally agree; for the same reason, we see an endless series of ads pushing "tech" in cars -- more software, more wifi, more access to silly entertainment, access to Facebook... all of which causes the need for cameras, radars, sensors, and "driver assistance tech," and all of which drives up sticker and maintenance costs.

10-02-17 07:46 PM
    I have to disagree on both of these fronts. I find the iPhone SE very comfortable to hold because it is very similar to the flat edges of the 9900. My iPhone 7 is so curvy where you put your fingers that it is guaranteed to slide out of your hand like butter unless you maintain a death grip on it at all times. This is why for my iPhone 7 I tried about four different cases before I settled on the OtterBox commuter. The flat sides where you put your fingers is a beautiful thing. Why Apple would round the edges off on the iPhone 7 is beyond me, and it has been this way since the iPhone 6. The OtterBox commuter flat edges is the perfect representation of the blackberry 9900 flat sides where fingers rest. No sliding off, etc.

As for naked iPhones and never seeing one, that's all I see. Well probably about 70%. Maybe things are different here but it's so common here that I actually gave my next-door neighbour my vina harmony iPhone 7 case I did not need anymore because she's holding her gold iPhone with a cracked screen protector, no case and when I asked her why she doesn't use a case she said well I have a glass screen protector on it!!!!!

Personally I think that a lot of people like to go naked because maybe they want to show off what they have for a phone, that might be one plausible response, but it makes sense to have a case if the phone is slippery or not comfortable to hold or one is prone to dropping it often. The shape of the device or goes a long way towards making a comfortable hold, and that's why with the 9900 I don't use the case. I tried it for a little while but it's just not necessary with how comfortable it is.
    I like naked 99 mostly for ease of desk pod and car cradle, battery access, finger reach, etc.

My company's 99s suffer FAR less drop repair than ANY other handset we use. And we use these things in very out of position contortion for a unique data entry service we dominate. The edges of 99's stainless frame actually taper slightly outward to help generate "wedge" forces toward the palm. The brushed surface also assists grip. More tiny details that add up to a fabulously thought out handset! .
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    10-02-17 08:56 PM
    I like naked 99 mostly for ease of desk pod and car cradle, battery access, finger reach, etc.

My company's 99s suffer FAR less drop repair than ANY other handset we use. And we use these things in very out of position contortion for a unique data entry service we dominate. The edges of 99's stainless frame actually taper slightly outward to help generate "wedge" forces toward the palm. The brushed surface also assists grip. More tiny details that add up to a fabulously thought out handset! .
    Not to mention the weight is absolutely perfect and I would say it's heavy but because it's smaller it's more tolerable, it just feels solid.
    idssteve likes this.
    10-02-17 08:58 PM
    I have to disagree on both of these fronts. I find the iPhone SE very comfortable to hold because it is very similar to the flat edges of the 9900.....
    Well I guess it depends on your hands. The flat sides, yes, it's the same. But not the details. On the bottom of the 9900 it is angled, rounded edge that is rubbery plastic. On the screen side is a very smooth bezel. I just had to go back to the iPhone SE just now and it's no competition. It has similar beveled edge top and bottom but it is very "sharp" which I definitely notice and is less comfortable. It's actually much more similar to the Passport SE, but even that I find less rough than the iPhone SE. Anyways, to each their own! We all have different hands.

If the designers have done their job, then the device should be a pleasure to hold & look at and I won't cover up their hard work with a case!

10-03-17 09:25 PM

If the designers have done their job, then the device should be a pleasure to hold & look at and I won't cover up their hard work with a case!

I just wish the designers would make devices where you did not need a case, like the 9900 with the rubber around the edges but why can't they make the entire back, sides and part of the front rubber like that. I guess companies like Apple make them from glass because they love it if you buy all their $50 cases.

10-03-17 09:34 PM
    Why don't I see my response above. Anyway in case it didn't go through or something I just wanted to say I wish the designers would actually design a phone where you did not need a case. Why can't they use the soft rubber like on the back of the 9900 around the sides and around part of the front also. I guess companies like Apple, now making glass on both sides again, love it when you have to buy their cases for $50 a pop, more if you want the leather cases.
    10-03-17 09:38 PM
8,754 ... 253254255256257 ...