Would it be cheaper for Blackberry to Develop a BBOs 8.0 ? for a new enhanced BOLD990 with SDXC support? or is that a no go?

As the other guy said (idssteve)

Blackberry where really really stupid to make/release a Q10 without a toolbet... then we get the classic? which is awesome but jesus christ no removable battery and a bit on the big side......

They really need to bring back the BOLD9900 and only blackberry can make it no other companies.

(i still get the odd looks on subway buses etc or even at cafe's when i whip out my bold 9900 lmao)

--
    Anyway.. here is what a future bold 9900 needs to be (as blackberry own the copyright/name to the bold still)

- Same BOLD9900 Form Factor (exact same size) it's not too small not too big *just right*
    - Dual or Quad Core CPu 1.4Ghz to 2Ghz
    - 10 or 13 mp REAR CAMERA
    - 8 mp front camera
    - BBOS 10 (if not? BBOS 8.0?) same as BBOS 7) just edited/tweaked a bit.
    - SDXC support

I mean in all seriousness... how hard can that be ? it's possible... and i am sure it will sell (christ i'll buy 100 of them at launch no joke)
    Lol... I can speak for another 100+, also! Your described config should have been a no brainer, imo. Too late now, I suppose.

A collaborative colleague commented over how tiny my 99's screen was over dinner last night. She asked: " how do you work such a tiny screen??" I continued typing my replies without pause in left hand while working fork in right and explained that I never have to touch the screen so it really doesn't matter how tiny it is... Since we were collaborating on that message anyway, I let her watch my left thumb in action, composing, formatting, gathering and viewing attachments, selecting contacts and sending. NEVER touching the "tiny" screen. Never involving my fork hand. She wound up impressed and curious about that "tiny" phone.... who made that? Didn't Blackberry go bankrupt?? ROTFLMAO!! Lol.

At least a couple times after that, she glanced at my left hand while setting her fork down to operate her iPhone... lol. Maybe a convert?? We'll see... lol
    Last edited by idssteve; 09-22-17 at 12:05 PM.
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    09-22-17 11:54 AM
    Realistically, I'd be happy if someone would just manufacture new batteries for the 9900. The current batteries out there are still serviceable but getting a little older now. It wouldn't be expensive, and it would guarantee extended life for my 9900, and I could continue to ignore the latest hoopla for iphone X or later.

Sent from my primary phone, a pristine BlackBerry 9900!
    09-22-17 12:04 PM
    Steve, you could be on America Has Got Talent with your phone. It takes about 10,000 hrs on a 9900 to do what you can do. For the rest of us, there is regular smart phone.

Speaking of which, when the latest TLC BlackBerry comes out perhaps reviewers might give it's VKB some love. It works so well. IMO.
    09-22-17 12:07 PM
    Yuck. I don't like the BB vkb. It keeps putting word suggestions on the space bar, and I keep hitting that word when all I wanted to do was enter a space. I'm sure there's a way around this, but it's annoying. And no swyping!

I'll stick with my 9900.

09-22-17 12:27 PM
    Steve, you could be on America Has Got Talent with your phone. It takes about 10,000 hrs on a 9900 to do what you can do. For the rest of us, there is regular smart phone.

Speaking of which, when the latest TLC BlackBerry comes out perhaps reviewers might give it's VKB some love. It works so well. IMO.
    Haha... don't sell yourself short... with the right tool in hand.

Nothing special about me other than willingness to expend effort learning a handset worthy of that effort. 10,000 hrs might NEVER get me (or anyone?) half there on any oversized slab I've tried to date. Imo. I haven't seen one yet, is TCL's new "SlabOne" VKB better than my D60?

Some of my crew really might dominate a "smart phone olympics"... something I've long advocated for but never taken seriously by the slab crowd. Lol. Of course we're already pretty happy dominating the "Olympics" that count... the competitions awarding paychecks for prizes... lol.

99s might not do well in the movie watching competition, tho. Lol.
    Last edited by idssteve; 09-22-17 at 02:31 PM.
    09-22-17 02:11 PM
    Realistically, I'd be happy if someone would just manufacture new batteries for the 9900. The current batteries out there are still serviceable but getting a little older now. It wouldn't be expensive, and it would guarantee extended life for my 9900, and I could continue to ignore the latest hoopla for iphone X or later.

Custom batteries are possible. There are multiple companies providing that service. Once CB Store and AmaBay dries up, we might collectively put together an order from one of those guys?? Certainly a case of "cheaper by the dozen". .

Some of my guys have been all over JM1s and report that fitting up replacement cells onto the pack's circuitry isn't a particular problem. Liability might be, tho. Sure wouldn't want a modified pack to experience a "meltdown" aboard a flight, or something.

Afaik, CB's JM1s are still OEM good?? Pretty good pricing, too...

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=8FiT_Gp-
    09-22-17 03:40 PM
    I see ONE 9900 at this local electronics store and it is white.
    09-22-17 09:40 PM
    I see ONE 9900 at this local electronics store and it is white. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...194ef5bab1.jpg
    Haha... did you leave it there?
    09-23-17 12:09 AM
    Haha... did you leave it there?
    Im afraid so because it was posted tonite by the electronics store in their "BUY and SELL" Facebook group, so I wasn't actually there.

But I do hope it finds a good home. I should call them tomorrow and see how much they want out of curiosity sake.
    idssteve likes this.
    09-23-17 12:30 AM
    ^-- Should be $40 atleast (it's not new) maybe even less.... like $20
    09-23-17 05:09 AM
    Realistically, I'd be happy if someone would just manufacture new batteries for the 9900.
    One of my "from Amazon" BlackBerry OEM JM-1s died a couple of years ago. I got a brand-new Duracell JM-1 at Batteries+.

Of course, it was about 10 x more expensive than one of the OEMs, but it hadn't been sitting on a shf for years, either.

Also, after a few drain / charge cycles to condition (per instructions that came with), my Seidio "Fat Boy" battery is doing great.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    idssteve likes this.
    09-23-17 12:39 PM
    One of my "from Amazon" BlackBerry OEM JM-1s died a couple of years ago. I got a brand-new Duracell JM-1 at Batteries+.

Of course, it was about 10 x more expensive than one of the OEMs, but it hadn't been sitting on a shf for years, either.

Also, after a few drain / charge cycles to condition (per instructions that came with), my Seidio "Fat Boy" battery is doing great.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    Careful, "fat boy" can be a helpful friend!
    09-23-17 01:45 PM
    Careful, "fat boy" can be a helpful friend!
    Hey, nothin' but love here for the big guy!!

idssteve likes this.
    09-23-17 05:49 PM
    Hey, nothin' but love here for the big guy!!

Yep, comforting to know he's on the job. . Especially in low signal conditions. How much endurance are you getting?
    09-23-17 05:57 PM
    How much endurance are you getting?
    Well, let's just say I've never had any compl -- OH. the _battery_. Easily double a JM-1.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-23-17 09:28 PM
    Haha... . The seidios seem to be excellent quality. I'm pretty sure some of the ones floating around the office are several years old. Never seen any in our "battery recycle" container. My 5000 "Horse" is still going strong but all others of its siblings are long dead... go figure. Mugens seem pretty good so far but Seidios are hard to beat, imo.
    09-23-17 11:51 PM
    ^-- Should be $40 atleast (it's not new) maybe even less.... like $20

I prefer to do that sort of thing myself but can see where it might be worth a little more to folks without PC if it's been wiped & loaded with latest OS so purchaser don't have to do that... ?
    09-24-17 04:56 AM
    Well, let's just say I've never had any compl -- OH. the _battery_. Easily double a JM-1.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

We 99ers are SO blessed with SO many power options... Including battery size... Fat Boys still fit desk pod, also... . AND, if you want slim form, Little Boy (JM1) restores that. A true, no nonsense, TOOL.

Here in a low signal environment, my Classic burns down before quitting time nearly every day. Nursing the embedded battery thing those final hrs each day is an irritatingly unnecessary distraction to a very full work day. Good ol' 99, equipped with Fat Boy, just unobtrusively powers thru the low signal day with plenty to spare. No distractions. Just eager collaboration. I'm typically working and messaging thru dinner and routinely swap in a freshly charged Fat Boy from spare charger in truck, just before heading into motel for the night. No worries about charging Fat Boy equipped 99 thru the night. Unlike Classic where I'm in perpetual quandary about whether to bring a wall wart into the motel? Or just leave it plugged in out in the truck all night?? A risky option I've defaulted to on TOO many occasions. Either out of extreme fatigue or because I've forgotten all of my wall warts at motels and work places around the country... Lol. Blame forgetfulness on age... Lol.

Yeah, I do hassle with power bricks for the silly thing but every distraction robs attention from the job clients have hired me for. Even the slightest distraction, at a critical instant, might lead to my old brain overlooking a critical issue! Doesn't get any better with age, either. Lol.

Ol'99 just quietly and unobtrusively collaborates demanding minimal distraction. Just one difference between a Tool and a Toy.
    09-24-17 09:22 AM
    BTW, our IT messaged my new k1 is in and waiting for me... When I get to home town... When ever that is... Lol. He seems reluctant to ship it to me... Not sure what that's about since they've shipped countless handsets of all description to me before... ??? Idk. He gets Sundays off so quizzing him will wait till tomorrow... Just can't figure why it's an issue?? He usually expresses joy when I'm out in the field and out of his hair...lol. Can't imagine THAT... Lol.

K1 features battery capacity finally challenging Fat Boy equipped 99!! FINALLY!! Embedded, tho. They just can't convince themselves to repeat 99's recipe for success, I guess. Lol.

Note to BB: I detest demeaning my sophisticated smart phone to function as a stupid battery charger!!!

Not that they care... What ever Apple does MUST be THE way to do it... Ug.

I wonder if it might be possible for a bluetooth equipped wall wart to alert the handset that I've forgotten the thing? Lol.

I AM excitedly eager to learn K1's PKB shortcuts! Didn't even kno to try that on the Priv I handled very briefly. Hoping PKB shortcuts might make android somewhat more tolerable?? Has to help, I'd think. Like trace characteristics from grandparents to grandkids, sometimes traces of 99 style legacy influence might sneak thru... Lol. Here's to hoping!
    Last edited by idssteve; 09-24-17 at 10:55 AM.
    09-24-17 10:04 AM
    K1's only advantage over 9900 is android app availability. That's it. 9900 wins in portability, fat boy battery life, removable battery, trackpad, tool belt, price, security, etc.

Passport pkb is better than K1, too.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900!
    idssteve likes this.
    09-24-17 01:49 PM
    K1's only advantage over 9900 is android app availability. That's it. 9900 wins in portability, fat boy battery life, removable battery, trackpad, tool belt, price, security, etc.

Passport pkb is better than K1, too.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900!
    I didn't like the Passport keyboard at all. I never could get used to the three row layout. I prefer dedicated "alt" and "sym" keys to the Passport's swipe gesture to bring up special characters.

I also thought the keyboard was too wide - I type much more efficiently on the 9900, Q10, and Classic because the keys are smaller and closer together. I do quite a bit of "thumb rolling" from one key to an adjacent key - makes for some insanely quick typing. But the Passport's keyboard was too big and spread out to do that sort of thing effectively.

Posted from my  Classic
    Last edited by Newfangled; 09-24-17 at 05:12 PM.
    09-24-17 05:00 PM
    I didn't like the Passport keyboard at all. I never could get used to the three row layout. I prefer dedicated "alt" and "sym" keys to the Passport's swipe gesture to bring up special characters.

I also thought the keyboard was too wide - I type much more efficiently on the 9900, Q10, and Classic because the keys are smaller and closer together. I do quite a bit of "thumb rolling" from one key to an adjacent key - makes for some insanely quick typing. But the Passport's keyboard was too big and spread out to do that sort of thing effectively.

Posted from my  Classic
    Yep, roll is good... my thumb never really lifts from the keys. It slides and rolls from key to key. Tactile feel and spatial "muscle memory" precisely locates the desired key. Not lifting thumb saves a lot of time and fatigue, imo. Also, thumb can help hold handset in place without generating accidental input. Imo.

I can see where ppl like giant screens for using VKB. Zero tactile feedback depends a great much on eyes for precision. Much easier to "see" larger keys when blocked by thumb... lol. And, a loose grasp isn't much issue to VKB since input can be generated with zero force.

No need to even see the handset itself thanks to four dimensional tactile feedback afforded by a good PKB, but larger handsets aren't really so compatible with PKB. Solid grasp is essential to resist wiggling imparted by the slight forces and displacement demanded to press a key. Smaller, easier to solidly grasp handsets lend better precision and speed to PKB, imo.

Our 99's famously exquisite PKB wouldn't work nearly as nicely if the same exact thing were fitted to a larger, less easily grasped, handset. A less securely grasped handset would wiggle in response to input. Generating imprecision. See what I mean?

Larger handsets are better suited to VKB, imo. Smaller handsets are best suited to PKB, imo. For much of the same reasons sky scrapers leverage three dimensional strategies to optimize real estate.

I'm, personally, still fastest on the old 9650. Mostly because it's slightly easier to grasp solidly. If it had 9900's processor, etc... 9650 might be my fave today... lol. Typing speed isn't EVERYthing. Just almost everything. Imo. Lol.

Of course 9650's tiny KB is where I started typing with thumb NAILS as opposed to thumb pads. Very precise and fast. And rough on KB paint when nails SLIDE across KB. Roll is a better compromise, imo.
    anon(10321802) likes this.
    09-24-17 05:57 PM

I can see where ppl like giant screens for using VKB. Zero tactile feedback depends a great much on eyes for precision. Much easier to "see" larger keys when blocked by thumb... lol. And, a loose grasp isn't much issue to VKB since input can be generated with zero force.

No need to even see the handset itself thanks to four dimensional tactile feedback afforded by a good PKB

Larger handsets are better suited to VKB, imo. Smaller handsets are best suited to PKB, imo. For much of the same reasons sky scrapers leverage three dimensional strategies to optimize real estate.
    Precisely! I noticed a much more stress "free" experience when I traded the weenie wittle 4 inch iPhone 5C for the (still considered smallish) iPhone 7 4.7 inch, and despite this seeming like a minuscule difference in size, it made all the difference in the world!

Good observation about the PKB not actually needing a large screen because fingers do not get in the way.

As for the "Fourth Dimension," I didn't know Time Travel was involved with Blackberry but if it is I sure hope they turn back time and do a 9900 part deux, and make it with better Macro shots.
    09-24-17 06:50 PM
    Yep, roll is good... my thumb never really lifts from the keys. It slides and rolls from key to key. Tactile feel and spatial "muscle memory" precisely locates the desired key. Not lifting thumb saves a lot of time and fatigue, imo. Also, thumb can help hold handset in place without generating accidental input. Imo.

No need to even see the handset itself thanks to four dimensional tactile feedback afforded by a good PKB, but larger handsets aren't really so compatible with PKB. Solid grasp is essential to resist wiggling imparted by the slight forces and displacement demanded to press a key. Smaller, easier to solidly grasp handsets lend better precision and speed to PKB, imo.

Our 99's famously exquisite PKB wouldn't work nearly as nicely if the same exact thing were fitted to a larger, less easily grasped, handset. A less securely grasped handset would wiggle in response to input. Generating imprecision. See what I mean?

I'm, personally, still fastest on the old 9650. Mostly because it's slightly easier to grasp solidly. If it had 9900's processor, etc... 9650 might be my fave today... lol. Typing speed isn't EVERYthing. Just almost everything. Imo. Lol.

Of course 9650's tiny KB is where I started typing with thumb NAILS as opposed to thumb pads. Very precise and fast. And rough on KB paint when nails SLIDE across KB. Roll is a better compromise, imo.
    On the "Art of the Roll", I've been using this Classic for a couple weeks now and as much as I was dying to try out this device, I think I still prefer the typing experience on the Q10. It's more compact than the Classic, therefore there is even less movement required for the thumbs and the slide/roll technique is that much more effective.

The Classic does have a lot going for it - I do like the larger screen and the toolbelt has come in handy. The typing experience is excellent, but again, I have to give the Q10 a slight edge there.

One glaring deficiency (besides the lack of apps, which is a given) is the non-swappable battery. Even if the battery can get me through an average day without needing a charge, there are still "un-average days" and times when the ability to do a quick battery swap would save me the headache of having to be tethered to a wall or external battery pack just to use my phone.

I've been thinking I want to upgrade to a Priv, but I know the Priv battery wouldn't be much better than the Classic's and I'd still be faced with tethering it to a wall or battery pack more often than I'd want.

But I don't want to be without a PKB anymore. Sure, six months on an iPhone proved that I can get by without one, but what is the fun in just getting by?

So now I'm seriously considering getting a Q10 along with an external charger and a couple batteries, and I may try a "dual wield" arrangement with an Android phone of some kind to give me more of the apps and functionality I need. Maybe use the Q10 more for work and the other device more for personal use?

I'm still mulling it over. But I could get a Q10 and accessories for dirt cheap now and that phone has served me well in the past - it's definitely been the BB10 device I've used the most and the one I keep coming back to.

I'd consider a 9900, except the carrier I use (Ting) doesn't support BIS. And it also lacks some bare minimum functionality I require like the ability to sync multiple calendars from a single account.

I want to believe the Priv would be good enough on its own to meet most of my smartphone requirements - but if I'm honest with myself I know it won't. I have owned a Priv once before, after all! But it might make a good second phone in a dual-wield arrangement...

Posted from my  Classic
    09-24-17 07:29 PM
    Precisely! I noticed a much more stress "free" experience when I traded the weenie wittle 4 inch iPhone 5C for the (still considered smallish) iPhone 7 4.7 inch, and despite this seeming like a minuscule difference in size, it made all the difference in the world!

Good observation about the PKB not actually needing a large screen because fingers do not get in the way.

As for the "Fourth Dimension," I didn't know Time Travel was involved with Blackberry but if it is I sure hope they turn back time and do a 9900 part deux, and make it with better Macro shots.
    Haha... always heard they disabled the time travel enable check box early on... liability concerns, ya kno. Lol. Probably a good thing since it's crazy easy to be working with the wrong month in Classic's calendar monthly view... lol. Given delays in BB10 maturity, maybe that calendar is what their devs were using?? Lol.

All physical motion gets defined with time as a variable. In sub light realities, anyway. Lol. Since no physical displacement of handset components needs to take place to generate an input on VKB, I define VKB input as two dimensional X, Y input. PKB input involves X, Y, Z and T. T being time required to physically displace that Z coordinate between two states... pressed, and not-pressed. T gets involved as first derivative velocity (both directions) and second derivative acceleration & deceleration (both directions). Third derivative of T might also help define that addictive "key snap" we all love so much. Lol.

Accelerating and decelerating the inertia mass of key combined with thumb generates momentum that must be reacted, equal and opposite, by fingers grasping the handset. These inertia generated forces of momentum are in addition to the obvious spring force generated by key against thumb. I've previously just lumped those T derived inertia forces as over simplistic "displacement". "Displacement" generated "wiggle" impacts PKB precision, also. Hence, relevance of the "fourth dimension". Lol.
    09-24-17 07:40 PM
8,754 ... 249250251252253 ...